• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unless they are adding so many new Namco costumes that Heihachi and Gil needed to show up elsewhere, that'd be rather unprecedented.
Well the Tales series does have a butt ton of notable characters so it wouldn't be too farfetched. Even just having most of the party members of Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesparia might fill an entire wave, especially if they bring back the Lloyd costume regardless of the character they picked.

That and the Monster Hunter costumes could come in the same wave as well, though that's less likely to be a reason.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well since Minecraft got costumes and Banjo didn't, maybe the Banjo deal was a sidedish for Nintendo with Steve who's suppose to be the main course since he's been planned for 5 years hence no Banjo costumes in his wave.
I would also say that it might be easier to do Minecraft costumes since Like with Steve, They likely just ported the models from Minecraft to make the Mii Costumes

But then again Banjo's stage has other characters from his series with full models, but perhaps it may been harder to convert them to Mii Costumes. In any case, I think your conclusion is very Plausible

Unless they are adding so many new Namco costumes that Heihachi and Gil needed to show up elsewhere, that'd be rather unprecedented.
Perhaps they might want Tales of Character's other costumes to be Action RPG Based perhaps. Heihachi is Fighting game based, and I don't think Gil is from Action RPG. Then again Joker's Costume wave had Tails and Knuckles and they aren't RPG's (except for that one time that people don't like talking about)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well the Tales series does have a butt ton of notable characters so it wouldn't be too farfetched. Even just having most of the party members of Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesparia might fill an entire wave, especially if they bring back the Lloyd costume regardless of the character they picked.

That and the Monster Hunter costumes could come in the same wave as well, though that's less likely to be a reason.
Many series thus far have had enough notable characters to at least constitute a wave of costumes, but the most we've received to date, to the best of my memory, is four. I'm not going to presume that Tales, of all series, will be the first to go past this.

Of course there are other Namco series which could provide costumes as well. It's not unfathomable that a Namco character arrives with the Lloyd costume and five new ones. But it doesn't seem the likeliest outcome either.

And costumes from another company could come in the wave, though it'd be quite strange that Heihachi and Gil didn't, if that's the case.

Perhaps they might want Tales of Character's other costumes to be Action RPG Based perhaps. Heihachi is Fighting game based, and I don't think Gil is from Action RPG. Then again Joker's Costume wave had Tails and Knuckles and they aren't RPG's (except for that one time that people don't like talking about)
Perhaps, though that's a departure from how they've organized things thus far, where the company tends to get priority before the genre.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Many series thus far have had enough notable characters to at least constitute a wave of costumes, but the most we've received to date, to the best of my memory, is four. I'm not going to presume that Tales, of all series, will be the first to go past this.

Of course there are other Namco series which could provide costumes as well. It's not unfathomable that a Namco character arrives with the Lloyd costume and five new ones. But it doesn't seem the likeliest outcome either.

And costumes from another company could come in the wave, though it'd be quite strange that Heihachi and Gil didn't, if that's the case.
Maybe they're putting Bandai-Namco Miis wherever because they're co-developing the game with them? Not really sure if that's realistic, but it's a thought.

Perhaps, though that's a departure from how they've organized things thus far, where the company tends to get priority before the genre.
To be fair, they did do a bit of a fighting game theme with Terry. Granted, Heihachi wasn't part of it, so either the FP2 Miis weren't decided yet or the theme wasn't that strong. Still, SNK did make up the majority of the Miis, so I think the company-over-genre seems to hold up with that still.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe they're putting Bandai-Namco Miis wherever because they're co-developing the game with them? Not really sure if that's realistic, but it's a thought.

To be fair, they did do a bit of a fighting game theme with Terry. Granted, Heihachi wasn't part of it, so either the FP2 Miis weren't decided yet or the theme wasn't that strong. Still, SNK did make up the majority of the Miis, so I think the company-over-genre seems to hold up with that still.
To be fair, Heihachi kind of fits better with Min Min then Terry, since ARMS is a 3D Fighting game like Tekken, even if the Type of 3D is different.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Some companies seem less particular about with what other content they are bundled, and Namco seems to give them fairly liberal license, but so far they haven't been given treatment any different than, say, Konami, who also got two costumes in two different waves.

Like you said, that didn't conflict with the company priority though. They only had three SNK costumes, all of whom arrived with Terry, and were free to fill the rest of that wave as they saw fit.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Gameplay wise, ARMS is closer to Tekken than it is to Virtua Fighter.
Wait is it? I know Both Tekken and ARMS both use Limb Based Controls, so there's good part of the similarity, but I haven't played Virtua Fighter so I don't know what type of controls that games uses

Also to note, Namco did help with ARMS Production, as I believed they made the models for the ARMS game

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No matter if Heihachi came with Terry or Min Min, the points being argued remains, since the Terry pack was still fighting-oriented, and Heihachi still came with a fighting game character. No need to get lost in the weeds about which games are more similar.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So I think it's totally possible we could get a Namco character, 3 or 4 characters from their game as costumes, Lloyd costume returns and then some oddball costumes. We've always gotten oddball costumes here and there like Altair, Rabbids, Travis, etc... If there is a Namco boi in the pass it would make sense that not all the Namco costumes come with them because they need to fit in other costumes.

Pokken Tournament itself uses a simplified version of Tekken's gameplay.
Pokken feels like an arena fighter duct taped to a 2D fighter, if anything. It's mechanically pretty different.
It doesn't really do anything the same way as most 3D fighters. no side steps, no high/low/mids, no limb system or vertical/horizontal attacks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pokken Tournament itself uses a simplified version of Tekken's gameplay.
I was referring to the fact that it was part arena fighter, and I don't believe this is the case with Virtua Fighter or Tekken.

So I think it's totally possible we could get a Namco character, 3 or 4 characters from their game as costumes, Lloyd costume returns and then some oddball costumes. We've always gotten oddball costumes here and there like Altair, Rabbids, Travis, etc... If there is a Namco boi in the pass it would make sense that not all the Namco costumes come with them because they need to fit in other costumes.
I guess the biggest thing supporting it is that you can't really count out things taking a left turn. I mean, we've been doing donuts since Byleth.

That's not to say the DLC is actively contrarian to our beliefs, but what we don't know will surprise us.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, we've been doing donuts since Byleth.
Byleth was predicted by plenty thanks to Corrin. Can't say the same about ARMS, although some people did notice that FFVII's lack of content meant it could have a challenger pack and not seem redundant. Just some.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No he wasn't.

EDIT: Even those that were predicting a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character were predicting Edelgard.
There was definitely a notable group of fans who were pushing that Byleth would be the rep as I remember there being debates over the matter on this site and others like ResetERA. Edelgard was definitely the most popular of the options, but she wasn't the only one considered an option and even fans of her acknowledged it was possible they'd go with the Avatar like they did with Robin and Corrin.

That said, those who were predicting a TH rep were generally thinking they'd be for the second pass so I still wouldn't call it a complete win for speculation.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There was definitely a notable group of fans who were pushing that Byleth would be the rep as I remember there being debates over the matter on this site and others like ResetERA. Edelgard was definitely the most popular of the options, but she wasn't the only one considered an option and even fans of her acknowledged it was possible they'd go with the Avatar like they did with Robin and Corrin.

That said, those who were predicting a TH rep were generally thinking they'd be for the second pass so I still wouldn't call it a complete win for speculation.
Yeah, it's sorta a win, but not a complete one. Most people agreed that a Three Houses rep was very likely for FP2, but the got fricked with yet again by having them in FP1 instead. It's not a complete loss, but we weren't fully accurate either.

So, uh, speaking of FE predictions, I've never actually played the GBA games so I don't really know what the Lyn hype is about. I'm thinking I'm going to start remedying that soon.

I just haven't decided whether to finish my current playthrough of Awakening first. I love the characters in that game, but I think the gameplay's some of my least favorite in the series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, uh, speaking of FE predictions, I've never actually played the GBA games so I don't really know what the Lyn hype is about. I'm thinking I'm going to start remedying that soon.

I just haven't decided whether to finish my current playthrough of Awakening first. I love the characters in that game, but I think the gameplay's some of my least favorite in the series.
Basically, western fans would have more of an attachment to her than Marth, since the game starring her is the first one localized.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Lyn is very strong at the start of the game
has cool animations
a pleasant personality
and a great design.

Due to her game being the first one localized and her being the first character the player is introduced to she also has a large amount of nostalgia going for her.

As a character and a unit, there have been plenty of better ones that have come since then, but she holds a special place for most EN speaking FE fans.

Thanks, guys. I'm curious to see if I'll be as enthused as everyone else when it's going to be my sixth FE game.

Knowing me, when I get around to it I'll find some random character I really like and want them in Smash instead. Happens every time.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Lyn is very strong at the start of the game
has cool animations
a pleasant personality
and a great design.

Due to her game being the first one localized and her being the first character the player is introduced to she also has a large amount of nostalgia going for her.

As a character and a unit, there have been plenty of better ones that have come since then, but she holds a special place for most EN speaking FE fans.
Lyn and Hector also were popular Smash picks just based on their main weapon of choice. We've always had tons of Fire Emblem swordies but there wasn't any axe or eastern sword users in the game until as recently as Byleth and Sephiroth. I used to be a big supporter of Lyn for Smash, though that's waned a bit since we've had so many FE character since then and a lot of Sephiroth's sounds and animations kind of matched moves I'd imagine she would have anyway. I am glad that FE representation in Smash has moved away from only Sword Lords only though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Lyn and Hector also were popular Smash picks just based on their main weapon of choice. We've always had tons of Fire Emblem swordies but there wasn't any axe or eastern sword users in the game until as recently as Byleth and Sephiroth. I used to be a big supporter of Lyn for Smash, though that's waned a bit since we've had so many FE character since then and a lot of Sephiroth's sounds and animations kind of matched moves I'd imagine she would have anyway. I am glad that FE representation in Smash has moved away from only Sword Lords only though.
Oh yeah, those 2 were pretty requested for Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. You have to add three first party characters and challenge packs for each of them for a post pass situation. Who relatively realistically do you choose? I would go with Officer Howard, Rex (if he is not in FP2), and a Gen 8 Pokemon. If I had to add another in the place of Rex, I would go Isaac probably, the trademark stuff for GS makes me think there might be something on the horizon.
Black Shadow, Elma, and Medusa.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel kind of bad that Velvet always gets looked over in comparison to Lloyd and Yuri. I think Velvet was an awesome character and would be really unique in Smash. The only issue is that they would probably have to sensor her outfit a bit but I don’t think that would be much of a problem. Velvet and Yuri are my two favorite Tales protagonists but I think Velvet would be the most interesting character they could choose in the series. Not only is she another female but she has a really cool moveset with her blades and demon arm.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Makes sense. It really is not safe to do a big event like this until everyone has been vaccinated, which likely won't happen until July at the earliest.

What does this mean for smash?... Not much. Nintendo basically plays by their own rules with this stuff and already was mainly digital. If we do see something in June it would make sense to be around that time, but as Min Min showed us Nintendo can play fast and loose with this sort of stuff.

Cacamallow didn't, I think it was more of awkard wording.

Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. You have to add three first party characters and challenge packs for each of them for a post pass situation. Who relatively realistically do you choose? I would go with Officer Howard, Rex (if he is not in FP2), and a Gen 8 Pokemon. If I had to add another in the place of Rex, I would go Isaac probably, the trademark stuff for GS makes me think there might be something on the horizon.
Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong and Pig Ganon.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Makes sense. It really is not safe to do a big event like this until everyone has been vaccinated, which likely won't happen until July at the earliest.

What does this mean for smash?... Not much. Nintendo basically plays by their own rules with this stuff and already was mainly digital. If we do see something in June it would make sense to be around that time, but as Min Min showed us Nintendo can play fast and loose with this sort of stuff.

Cacamallow didn't, I think it was more of awkard wording.

Officer Howard and Ring Fit Adventurer are easy picks. Astral Chain is a notable new IP and Ring Fit Adventure has sold eight million copies, nothing to sneeze at.

Last one would either be a Xenoblade rep (Realistically it would be Rex, but my preference wants Elma or Lora, or even Melia, and my unrealistic choice is Morag), a new Zelda rep like Impa or a BOTW2 Zelda with the Sheikah slate, or Zarude. Or it could be someone from something not even out yet.

But if I may be self-indulgent, if the rumors of a new Style Savvy on Switch come to fruition, I want Stylist.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel kind of bad that Velvet always gets looked over in comparison to Lloyd and Yuri. I think Velvet was an awesome character and would be really unique in Smash. The only issue is that they would probably have to sensor her outfit a bit but I don’t think that would be much of a problem. Velvet and Yuri are my two favorite Tales protagonists but I think Velvet would be the most interesting character they could choose in the series. Not only is she another female but she has a really cool moveset with her blades and demon arm.
Cutie Gwen liked that

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, Lloyd and Yuri get the most attention for being the most popular Tales characters in the Smash and Tales fandom, respectively, and most other Tales characters get overshadowed as a result. Still, Velvet looks like she'd be pretty cool.

Y'know, back when the negotiations rumor first cropped up, I made a quick theory about how a Tales rep was delayed to see how Berseria would do, and how it could potentially lead to Velvet after Berseria was a success. If Velvet Theory comes to fruition, you know who to tag.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Let's be honest though. Yuri and Lloyd are the most likely of the Tales rep.

Still leaning towards Yuri btw.

Won't lie though. Velvet would be kick-***. Seems like a cool character. Guts but a woman basically the vibes she gives me.
Yeah that is probably true. Yuri was also an amazing protagonist and I loved Vesperia but he doesn’t really excite me as a Smash character for some reason. I think it is because he doesn’t stand out much visually compared to the Fire Emblem cast. If Yuri did get in, I hope he is played by Troy Baker. Grant George isn’t bad but just didn’t sound quite right.

Tales of Symphonia was great but I never liked Lloyd as a character. I would take almost any other Tales rep over him. I would love to see Sheena, Regal, or Kratos but I don’t think they have much a chance at all.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I feel like if ARMS is similar to any 3D fighter it's Pokkén Tournament.
ARMS is more like a Gundam VS game than a conventional fighting game. I think people comparing it to other fighting games makes people believe it to be a poor one. But if you compare it to Gundam VS or Custom Robo then it's pretty good in that genre.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Let's be honest though. Yuri and Lloyd are the most likely of the Tales rep.

Still leaning towards Yuri btw.

Won't lie though. Velvet would be kick-***. Seems like a cool character. Guts but a woman basically the vibes she gives me.
Velvet is a bad b*tch, through and through. Unfortunately, I personally didn’t find her very likeable. Give me Zero from Drakengard 3 if we’re gonna get an angry killer anime girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom