• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well I'm Glad Aaronitmar came out about this leak

I wish the same thing Happened with the Cacomallow Leak, and also the Grinch Leak, but for the latter they probably get in Big trouble because didn't they commit Impersonation fraud
....I'm sorry, w h a t ?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We don't have a date, the only thing we know is that they pegged a "Pokemon from XY" in the project plan and then filled in Greninja later upon seeing concept art.

That said, Pokemon XY released in 2013, the project plan for Smash 4 was finalized in 2012 after KI:U's release, so even then Byleth would've had Greninja beat by two years.
Gotcha. Adding that to the list.

Modern (4/Ultimate) Characters Chosen in Advance
  • Greninja - Approx. 1 year
  • Corrin - Less than a year
  • Incineroar - Approx. 1 year
  • Byleth, apparently - 2-to-4 years, depending on which dates you're using
...Yeah, my opinion hasn't changed.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well CacoMallow didn't have a specific creator; it was the metaphysical collective desire to troll and divide the Smash fanbase manifested into physical form by way of artificial Smash footage.

Or whomever made it is just waiting till the fighter's pass is done to reveal themselves, who knows?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Digital E3 planned this year.
Makes sense. It really is not safe to do a big event like this until everyone has been vaccinated, which likely won't happen until July at the earliest.

What does this mean for smash?... Not much. Nintendo basically plays by their own rules with this stuff and already was mainly digital. If we do see something in June it would make sense to be around that time, but as Min Min showed us Nintendo can play fast and loose with this sort of stuff.
whoa yikes

...but wait did Cacomallow did that too? That's what 7NATOR seems to be implying
Cacamallow didn't, I think it was more of awkard wording.

Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. You have to add three first party characters and challenge packs for each of them for a post pass situation. Who relatively realistically do you choose? I would go with Officer Howard, Rex (if he is not in FP2), and a Gen 8 Pokemon. If I had to add another in the place of Rex, I would go Isaac probably, the trademark stuff for GS makes me think there might be something on the horizon.

Shroob

Sup?
Well CacoMallow didn't have a specific creator; it was the collective desire to troll and divide the Smash fanbase manifested into physical form by way of artificial Smash footage.

Or whomever made it is just waiting till the fighter's pass is done to reveal themselves, who knows?
I mean, considering that there are still people who believe it....

They knew damn well what they were doing lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well CacoMallow didn't have a specific creator; it was the metaphysical collective desire to troll and divide the Smash fanbase manifested into physical form by way of artificial Smash footage.

honestly with Geno costume'd again and a friggin VAULT BOY costume as our first Bethesda content instead of Cacodemon - if it were me id come out with it right the heck now

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. You have to add three first party characters and challenge packs for each of them for a post pass situation. Who relatively realistically do you choose? I would go with Officer Howard, Rex (if he is not in FP2), and a Gen 8 Pokemon. If I had to add another in the place of Rex, I would go Isaac probably, the trademark stuff for GS makes me think there might be something on the horizon.
I'd pick:
  • Ring Fit Trainee
  • Cinderace
  • Euden

I could see a Zelda character in that scenario. Then maybe Ring Fit and Kirby.

The main reason I don't put Rex in my three is because I imagine something from Monolith Soft is coming soonish. They have like 4 studios now. That new game would probably get a priority if it happens in the next year or so.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Makes sense. It really is not safe to do a big event like this until everyone has been vaccinated, which likely won't happen until July at the earliest.

What does this mean for smash?... Not much. Nintendo basically plays by their own rules with this stuff and already was mainly digital. If we do see something in June it would make sense to be around that time, but as Min Min showed us Nintendo can play fast and loose with this sort of stuff.

Elma, Octoling, Black Shadow. Black Shadow comes with WAY more F-Zero GX tracks including vocal themes; Octoling comes with Tidal Rush and a ton of Octo Expansion songs, and Elma’s obvious

they also pull a Sephiroth with both Elma and Black Shadow and make them fightable to unlock them early. Elma’s is a reference to the XC2 Expansion Pass battle Otherworldly Fighter and Black Shadow is obvious

why Black Shadow? Cause I have a feeling F-Zero will at long last make a comeback soon

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

-Officer Howard
-Inteleon
-Rex

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

-Rex
-Dixie Kong
-Impa (Age of Calamity)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yes, and it's a bad thing.

Just like how actually representing the gameplay of Dragon Quest makes Hero crappy to play, and acctually representing the gameplay of Minecraft makes Steve AWFUL to play.
crap, here i was thinking i liked playing as steve and hero! thank you for making me realize i actually don't like playing as my mains.

Firox

Smash Master
honestly with Geno costume'd again and a friggin VAULT BOY costume as our first Bethesda content instead of Cacodemon - if it were me id come out with it right the heck now
Agreed. Honestly, I think the biggest mystery here is why the creator of CM (going on the 99.9% chance that it was in fact a fan-fabrication) hasn't come forward yet. I mean, they were absolute pioneers when it came to Smash Ultimate modding seeing as how many other modders had to learn quite a bit just to try and discredit it. I see no logical reason why they wouldn't just come forward since Geno, and frankly any chances of a mallow costume, are pretty much dead anyway.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Changes I'd make to the old cast:

-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate character, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his echo. Make Roy Marth's echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.
1) I feel like it's possible to change Ganondorf to make him more accurate, without changing what his players enjoy about playing him, and we don't need to completely start from scratch.
2) Which does what? You can't incorporate Cappy without sacrificing Mario's status as the beginner character.
3) Why? This seems like a lot of work to add basically nothing to most of the cast and take away what makes Squirtle, Charizard and Ivysaur unique.
4) Again why? This seems like a lot of work for something that really wasn't necessary in the first place.
5)I mean, they are the main weapons that Link has access to. I kind of get Toon Link but regular Link was changed so drastically that having Young Link be closer to his old moveset is definately appreciated.
6) Why out of curiosity? Wolf, Falco and Fox are all completely different already.
7) And once again (sorry) why? I don't have an issue here but they are both pretty substantially different. Personally I think removing the echo distinction from Ken probably makes more sense anyway.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Well, Min Min (and possibly Steve) probably would have been at E3 if it wasn't canceled. Given that Nintendo is struggling to make presentations at the moment, and the fact that this has a 6 figure entry fee though, it is highly unlikely that Nintendo will join.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that entry fee causes the event to be canceled altogether due to nobody signing up.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
There's honestly not many 1st party characters I still want in the game. I guess I'll go with Paper Mario, RFA girl, and Office Howard.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Random but recently a new gameplay for Guilty Gear Strive came out and it showed a new super for Sol Badguy:

Clearly, this will be one of his Final Smashes once he makes it into Smash.

Anyway starting February 18th there's an open beta (which will last like 4 days) for Strive so if you're curious about it you can try it for free. Okay that's it, I've done my daily shilling.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Office Howard
The Office theme intensifies

Random but recently a new gameplay for Guilty Gear Strive came out and it showed a new super for Sol Badguy:
It also means that you won't have to worry about him coming with yet another comeback mechanic because Ky stole it! :4pacman:

INB4 that's how Roman Cancels are implemented.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
crap, here i was thinking i liked playing as steve and hero! thank you for making me realize i actually don't like playing as my mains.
I can't lie if I said I was totally happy with Steve's moveset. My biggest frustration is his terrain mechanic for as faithful as it is, it kind of forces Steve to be worse on certain stages rather than his mobility and toolkit determining that. Smashville is always a groan because wood is probably the least useful material and uses up your axe durability. But sometimes when you're a strong character loyalist like me, nothing is gonna stop you from trying to perfect your favourite video game character :)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I pick:

Ocarina of Time Adult Link
John Raimi
Decidueye

1) I feel like it's possible to change Ganondorf to make him more accurate, without changing what his players enjoy about playing him, and we don't need to completely start from scratch.
2) Which does what? You can't incorporate Cappy without sacrificing Mario's status as the beginner character.
3) Why? This seems like a lot of work to add basically nothing to most of the cast and take away what makes Squirtle, Charizard and Ivysaur unique.
4) Again why? This seems like a lot of work for something that really wasn't necessary in the first place.
5)I mean, they are the main weapons that Link has access to. I kind of get Toon Link but regular Link was changed so drastically that having Young Link be closer to his old moveset is definately appreciated.
6) Why out of curiosity? Wolf, Falco and Fox are all completely different already.
7) And once again (sorry) why? I don't have an issue here but they are both pretty substantially different. Personally I think removing the echo distinction from Ken probably makes more sense anyway.
I'm not DarthEnderX, but on point 2, I don't see why you can't. FLUDD's kind of a big-brain situational move, and replacing it with a movement option would theoretically make Mario an easier character if the devs don't overcomplicate it.

I also think the Pokemon would be fine on their own terms and actually become more interesting as individuals than they are as a group. With the whole trio, Charizard is just the heavy-hitting but predictable one. In Smash 4 he became a high-risk, high-reward fighter that didn't care if he took damage as long as you took more. I miss Smash 4 Charizard and I think the other two would benefit from similar treatment.

I have my own weird take on point 5, which is that Toon Link is one of the best designed zoners in the game from a gameplay perspective. I wouldn't want that taken away from him. I get that it's not a common opinion, but I get frustrated when people want to keep the more hodge-podge designs that took 5 games to balance well in favor of the good one. On the record, I enjoy them all and Young Link's probably my favorite in Ultimate. I just think Toon Link has a better designed moveset.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Lets face it, the dude who made CacoMallow isn’t gonna show themselves.
Cause if they did, we’d probably banish them to Sonic Online hell for making us talk about that damn thing so much. :4pacman:
Why did I think of Sonic Dreams Collection when reading this?

Why did I just remind myself Sonic Dreams Collection is a thing?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't lie if I said I was totally happy with Steve's moveset. My biggest frustration is his terrain mechanic for as faithful as it is, it kind of forces Steve to be worse on certain stages rather than his mobility and toolkit determining that. Smashville is always a groan because wood is probably the least useful material and uses up your axe durability. But sometimes when you're a strong character loyalist like me, nothing is gonna stop you from trying to perfect your favourite video game character :)
I think it does OK. My biggest gripe is that the Battlefield and Ω form stages keep the terrain tool, so depending on which stage you're on you can get either the Pickaxe, Shovel, or Axe, which lowers the number of Battlefield and Ω stages that are actually the same as Battlefield and Final Destination stages considerably.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right.
I my opinion, any Costume from any company isn't a teaser for another rep of this company
If:
• Bomberman and Goemon don't tease Frogger / Pyramid Head,
• Altair and Rabbids don't tease Rayman,
• Gil and Heihachi don't tease Tales,
• Vault Boy doesn't tease Doomguy,
so I think Travis doesn't tease Farmer, and that would reduce Farmer's chances even further.
Yeah, my general thoughts about this is are obviously isn't not a deconfirmation, but I think that, unless the company has a volume of costumes that would necessitate being spread across multiple waves like Capcom and Sega, it is not an auspicious sign for that company's prospects if a costume of theirs shows up without a corresponding character.

For example, when Rabbids and Altair showed up, many people initially took that as a good sign for Rayman. I think it's the opposite. I think were Rayman in the cards, he would've shown up with those costumes. Especially the Rabbids.

But at least opinion seemed to shift by the time of Vault Boy, wherein people seemed to agree it made Doom Slayer look less likely. Though he'd also already had that adverse comment from Marty Stratton, I believe it was.

It's not a hard and fast rule but I think it carries some truth to it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not DarthEnderX, but on point 2, I don't see why you can't. FLUDD's kind of a big-brain situational move, and replacing it with a movement option would theoretically make Mario an easier character if the devs don't overcomplicate it.
How I'd make it work is that you could toss out Cappy either as a standard projectile, or hold the button to have Cappy spin in place as a stage control tool. If you run into him while he's spinning, you'll bounce off of him, and this works in the air as well, potentially creating wicked cool combos. Perhaps hitting the Special Button after using the move in the air would cause him to dive to Cappy to automatically hop off of him if that isn't too powerful.

Also, since Mario doesn't really need more stage control tools, I'd give Cappy a hurtbox so that he loses to attacks.

I also think the Pokemon would be fine on their own terms and actually become more interesting as individuals than they are as a group. With the whole trio, Charizard is just the heavy-hitting but predictable one. In Smash 4 he became a high-risk, high-reward fighter that didn't care if he took damage as long as you took more. I miss Smash 4 Charizard and I think the other two would benefit from similar treatment.
Individually maybe, but as a package they're more interesting than most individual characters. I still maintain that the best solution is to have grouped and non-grouped variants so that you could play them alone or with the Pokémon Trainer, and this could extend to all of the Pokémon on the roster, making the Pokémon Trainer even more interesting than he already is.

EDIT: And as depressing as the thought is, it would allow the Pokémon Trainer to carry on without Squirtle and Ivysaur in the future if need be.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Konami, Ubisoft, and Vault boy costumes were also completely new to Ultimate, they weren't just veteran costumes that returned, so I think that further implies that might be all we get from them

I don't believe Tales of will get a character in FP2, but I could see the argument that if a Tales of Character is hypothetically in, they want to focus on Tales of Costumes, because usually new franchises added to Smash come with 2-4 costumes.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
You know what, since we've gotten into a discussion on Ganondorf's moveset, I might as well share mine that I made for the SSB Infinite thread. Unfortunately, that thread moves a little too quick to get into discussions over every moveset that gets submitted, but hopefully we talk about it here maybe?

Anyway, I'm really proud of this one. My goal with this moveset was that, even though I was changing all of his move, Ganon would still feel the same to play - but with a bit of a boost in speed and range (at the cost of a little kill power). I wanted it to feel like a hefty upgrade to Ganon rather than throwing the whole character out entirely, and I think I succeeded in that.

There are a couple of things I wish to accomplish with this Ganon moveset, so let's go over those before we begin.

Firstly, even though a majority of his moves are changing, I want his playstyle to remain similar. He'll still be a super heavyweight, and his moves will have roughly the same power, timing, knockback angles, and space coverage. However, his new moves will give him an increase in range, attack speed (if only slightly), and recovery. In short, I want the new Ganon to feel like an upgrade, even though his lessened weaknesses will of course be counterbalanced.

Secondly, even though it'll still say "Ganondorf" on the CSS, I want this to be an all-encompassing Ganon, referencing not just all of Ganondorf's appearances, but all of Ganon's appearances period, whether as a Gerudo or as a massive porcine beast.

With that out of the way, let's get started.

Ganon's differences are apparent even before he begins fighting. While his appearance remains based on Ocarina of Time, he wields two swords the way he did as the Demon King Ganon in that game, as well as as Ganondorf in Wind Waker. For his dash, he levitates similarly to Cloud. For some animations where his hands are necessary, he extends that levitation power to his swords, which will float near him until the animation is done. Some of his moves have him float the swords so he can summon a trident from the darkness.

Tilt Attacks

Ganon's jab is one of his few normal attacks whose range and timing is not based on its predecessor. Instead, it's now a three-hit jab consisting of an outward slash with both swords; a downward slash with his left hand; and a spin attack that deals two hits (one with each sword). This is based off of an attack he does in Wind Waker.

His forward tilt is a backhanded slash with his left hand. This, too, is based off on an attack he does in Wind Waker. It hits at roughly the same timing and damage of his old forward tilt, but with a bit more range.

While no longer the Volcano Kick, Ganon's up tilt retains its most notable properties. Here, Ganon levitates his swords and dark energy slowly swirls into the shape of a trident in his hands. Like Volcano Kick, this creates a windbox that pulls opponent into the attack. Once finally complete a full second later, Ganon stabs the trident into the ground. Unlike the Volcano Kick, this attack has armor, but it's not exactly difficult to get out of the way.

His down tilt is an inward slash with both swords. It hits the opponent at an upward angle. It hits at roughly the same timing and damage of his old down tilt, but with a bit more range. This is based on an attack he does when landing from a jump in Wind Waker.

His dash attack has him point his swords forwards (as opposed to during his dash when they're pointed behind him in a reverse grip) and drive them forward and up for a devastating double stab. Like his old dash attack, this is a reliable followup in tech-chase situations.

There's actually one more "attack" to mention: in Ganon's side taunt, he puts his right sword away with a spinning flourish for the sole purpose of giving a dismissive swing of the hand. This is based off of a scene in Wind Waker, but the reference only becomes complete if you're standing right next to someone, at which point this taunt turns into a mean-spirited backhand. Like most attack taunts, this one doesn't do much damage and can't be canceled, but landing it will prove Ganon is still the King of Disrespect. For the record, his up-taunt is still his floating taunt, and his down-taunt is his palm-punching taunt, both with new floating-sword action.

Smash Attacks

Ganon's forward smash has him summon his trident and spin it diagonally above and behind him once before stepping forward with a heavy stab. The spin will actually drag opponents into the stab, so this attack has considerable range comparable to that of his previous forward smash.

Ganon's up smash has him summon his trident and spin it above his head for a multi-hit attack. A very powerful smash attack that hits on both sides of Ganondorf, but is about as slow as his previous up smash.

Ganon's down smash perform an outward slash with both swords while facing the camera. Like most down smashes, this attack hits on either side of him.

Aerial Attacks

His neutral aerial has him conjure up a ball of fire in front of him that burns brightly (dealing multiple hits) before exploding. This attack has decent range, comes out quickly, and lasts a while; just like his previous neutral air. This is inspired by the fire attacks occasionally used by Ganon in some of the 2D games.

His forward aerial is an overhand slash with his right sword, which has good reach and is quite powerful near the middle of the sword.

His back aerial has him flip both his swords into a reverse grip and thrust them backwards. Fast, but still quite powerful. However, its range is quite low.

Ganon's up-air kind of serves as a replacement for his up-tilt when fighting on the ground due to the latter's long startup time. He conjures dark magic around his upper body that hits opponents away. This move covers a fair distance around Ganon.

Like before, Ganon's down-air is a devastating spike. This time, however, he causes his swords to float before delivering a downward palm strike infused with black magic. If you hit the sourspot, the enemy merely gets launched at a diagonal angle. However, if you hit the sweetspot, both you and the opponent will stop in midair while Ganon electrocutes them with his magic. Then, with a final blast of darkness, he shoots the enemy directly downward. Visually, this is inspired by his old up-special, and serves to keep his fan-created role as the "King of Disrespect" alive even with a more game-accurate moveset.

Special Moves

Ganon's new neutral special is Dead Man's Volley, a slow but devastating homing projectile. Similarly to the Warlock Punch, it's slow to fire but can be turned around. He levitates his swords, then holds his left hand skyward and begins charging yellow, electric energy.The projectile can be reflected if hit with a melee attack - and once it is, it'll be heading right for the nearest other player with increased speed, power, and homing capability. Ganon, however, has a trick up his sleeve: if you're not in the middle of an attack, Ganon can reflect the volley automatically. However, it doesn't get any stronger when reflected this way - and if it's been reflected too many times, he'll just catch it instead of reflecting it. Other characters, meanwhile, have to do this the old-fashioned way. One final note - this move's startup is armored, and hitting it point-blank means it does more damage and can't be reflected. Overall, this move plays into Ganondorf's gameplan of punishing unsafe moves, references a Zelda mainstay, and still incorporates the gameplay of the Warlock Punch with its point-blank functionality.

Ganon's side special is still Flame Choke. After all, it's the only one of his specials to be completely unique, and it leads to unique tech-chase situations not really caused by other moves in Smash. However, it's had something a little special added - when used in the air, you'll create a fancy shockwave of golden, electric magic upon hitting the ground, which will deal damage to other opponents in a free-for-all. This is in reference to his shockwave attack in Ocarina of Time, used most prominently at the very beginning of the fight.

Ganon's new up special is named Black Whirlwind. While the name is entirely made up, it's inspired by the fight against Ganon in A Link to the Past. Ganon spins his trident around before throwing it (still spinning) in one of 8 directions, teleporting ahead of it, and catching it. After that, you can hit B while holding another direction to do it again. You can even do it a third time for good measure. And THEN, you can hit B one final time - but this time, he lunges forward for a stabbing attack with the trident, which serves as killer knockback for anyone who got caught in the move. There's a catch, though. This move is already pretty unsafe if you just do the one warp - it has high endlag, and Ganon has to pull his swords back out upon landing from being helpless, which means he's there for a relative while. It gets even LESS safe the more you do with it, so don't overdue it. When fighting against this move, patience is key.

Ganon's down special is called Malice Trident, but it's more of a reflavoring of his old down special. Instead of a kick, he flies forward with his trident instead.

His final smash remains Ganon, the Demon King. I feel this does a great job of showing Ganon's beastly form in one explosive show of force.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Konami, Ubisoft, and Vault boy costumes were also completely new to Ultimate, they weren't just veteran costumes that returned, so I think that further implies that might be all we get from them

I don't believe Tales of will get a character in FP2, but I could see the argument that if a Tales of Character is hypothetically in, they want to focus on Tales of Costumes, because usually new franchises added to Smash come with 2-4 costumes.
Not usually, as Banjo & Kazooie didn't come with any costumes from their series. They are the only Fighter Pass characters from a new, previously unrepresented series who did not come with any Mii Fighter costumes from their franchise.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, 6/8 FP characters have come with Mii Fighter costumes from their series, with only Banjo & Kazooie and Byleth not coming with any. It usually happens, but it is not a guaranteed outcome.
I think the phrase you were looking for was "not necessarily" then. It happens to the best of us.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Not usually, as Banjo & Kazooie didn't come with any costumes from their series. They are the only Fighter Pass characters from a new, previously unrepresented series who did not come with any Mii Fighter costumes from their franchise.
Well since Minecraft got costumes and Banjo didn't, maybe the Banjo deal was a sidedish for Nintendo with Steve who's suppose to be the main course since he's been planned for 5 years hence no Banjo costumes in his wave.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Unless they are adding so many new Namco costumes that Heihachi and Gil needed to show up elsewhere, that'd be rather unprecedented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom