• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What if the remaining dlc are from the companies missing from the first fighters pass? SNK, Atlus, Intelligent systems
I doubt we'd get more from those three.
  • SNK blew pretty much everything on Terry; Even Metal Slug has some songs, despite not having anything else. It seems to me like Sakurai and co. were aware that Terry was the sole fighter from SNK, and went all-out with him because he was the only shot they had. They might as well have just put a static png of the company as the fighter.
  • Atlus has the best chance out of them, but their only other option is an SMT rep and I'm not quite sold on their chances yet. Especially since there's a lot of other Sega reps in general, like Kiryu, Eggman, Sakura, and Arle.
  • Fire Emblem already got a rep, and I think that's it for the pass. Paper Mario's already deconfirmed via Spirit Event. Maybe Advance Wars, but there would have to be a fair bit of luck involved with them. Either way, why in the blazes would InSys be counted separately from Nintendo?
Oh, and also, please do not doublepost.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Allow us to introduce ourselves.

Image result for orange star advance wars
True, there's also Advance Wars, but I think that guy's trying to say we'll get an FE Warriors rep because the last two DLC cycles had FE reps. Even though those two FE reps got in because of how new they were, and Warriors isn't as new as Corrin and Byleth were when they were released for Smash.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
True, there's also Advance Wars, but I think that guy's trying to say we'll get an FE Warriors rep because the last two DLC cycles had FE reps. Even though those two FE reps got in because of how new they were, and Warriors isn't as new as Corrin and Byleth were when they were released for Smash.
If we got a FE Warriors rep before Dynasty Warriors. I WOULD...

...not be surprised in the slightest, unfortunately.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Interesting thing to note is that on source gaming there was an article about how sakurai choses characters where he said,

"Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important.” – Masahiro Sakurai (Translation by Soma)

Im pretty sure the character planning process for ultimate started either in 2015 or 2016 and ended in November of 2018. I assume November because that was when sakurai sent out a tweet saying that all of the dlc had been finalized. As for the trends around the time of development comment sakurai made, it seems to coincide with selections like Joker (Persona 5 2016), Hero (Dragon Quest 11 2017), Terry (King of Fighters XIV 2016), Min Min (Arms 2017), Byleth technically works too because their game had an original release date of 2018 but got delayed to 2019.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Think I've heard of this series before, brought up as a darkhorse candidate. Please, tell me more. I want to know what's going for them.
About Marvelous
• Marvelous published 14 games on Switch.*13 + Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
The compagny doesn't own Travis Touchdown. Edit: Travis is co-owned by Marvelous.
• The compagny already had a Spirit Board event with Daemon X Machina.
• The compagny collaborated in favor of other series represented in Smash: Bomberman (multiple), Dragon Quest (Arcade), Monster Hunter (Stories), Pokémon (Arcade), The King of Fighters (GBA).
• Tencent now owns 20% of Marvelous.

About Story of Seasons
• Story of Seasons is a genre influencer.
• Some iconic elements are: to farm, the cow, the chick, the dog, the blue feather, get married with any bachelor.
• The series was born on Nintendo, with 5 first games on Nintendo.
• The series appeared on all major Nintendo consoles except on NES and WiiU.
• The series has Mario cameos: 3 power up in Story of Seasons (2014-2015); 4 Costumes in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (2016-2017).
• The series has 6 game on Switch: Doraemon Story of Seasons, Trio of Towns, Pioneers of Olive Town, Rune Factory 4, Rune Factory 5 (all by Marvelous), and Light of Hope (by Natsume).
• The Japanese magazine Nintendo DREAM promotes Story of Seasons / Rune Factory a lot for its young readers (covers, trends, manga pages...).
• Steve is already a Fighter who uses a "farming" gameplay with "fishing" grab.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
About Marvelous
• The compagny doesn't own Travis Touchdown.
• The compagny collaborated in favor of other series represented in Smash: Bomberman (multiple), Dragon Quest (Arcade), Monster Hunter (Stories), Pokémon (Arcade), The King of Fighters (GBA).

About Story of Seasons
• Some iconic elements are: to farm, the cow, the chick, the dog, the blue feather, get married with any bachelor.
• The series has Mario cameos: 3 power up in Story of Seasons (2014-2015); 4 Costumes in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (2016-2017).
• The series has 6 game on Switch: Doraemon Story of Seasons, Trio of Towns, Pioneers of Olive Town, Rune Factory 4, Rune Factory 5 (all by Marvelous), and Light of Hope (by Natsume).
• The Japanese magazine Nintendo DREAM promotes Story of Seasons / Rune Factory a lot for its young readers (covers, trends, manga pages...).
Mate, you’d better not be giving me conflicting feelings about my pipe dream’s chances!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
S.T.E.AM's an FE game according to how the Code F.E track's sorted, was even used for Byleth's classic mode, that's all the acknowledgement it's getting from Nintendo for another decadr
sigh Oh well. Maybe by some miracle, S.T.E.A.M. characters can show up in FEH, but I won't get my hopes up unless something crazy happens, like a Switch port they want to promote.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
sigh Oh well. Maybe by some miracle, S.T.E.A.M. characters can show up in FEH, but I won't get my hopes up unless something crazy happens, like a Switch port they want to promote.
I was gonna say

Switch port with Chrom, Roy, Corrin and Byleth added?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
meanwhile I'm still sitting here hoping for Project X Zone 3 with more Nintendo/Smash connections... hell throw in Square Enix and Atlus if u want

EVEN SPIRITS OF REIJI AND XIAOMU IN SMASH

SharkLord

Smash Hero
About Marvelous
• The compagny doesn't own Travis Touchdown.

About Story of Seasons
Hmm, interesting. Think I'll add it to the list of games that should have an eye kept on them.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So There's something I got to ask

I was in Papageno's Discord, and back then, someone mentioned how there was a rumor that Capcom did not want Playable DLC characters in Fighter Pass because they didn't like the Pass Format

Has anyone here heard of this rumor, because I can't find the source

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I was in Papageno's Discord, and back then, someone mentioned how there was a rumor that Capcom did not want Playable DLC characters in Fighter Pass because they didn't like the Pass Format

Got a screenshot?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Why would they not? They'e done DLC season passes before.

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice

Lucky I am around, I will do a check to see if I can find it

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

That’d be pretty hypocritical of them considering their own fighting games.

You can’t believe everything you read online.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
That’d be pretty hypocritical of them considering their own fighting games and their presence in DLC like Tekken.

You can’t believe everything you read online.
That's the thing, I don't believe it

It seemed like a point that was being talked about in the Papagenos Discord, So I thought people here might have also heard of it. The thing Is that I've never seen a source for this point, it just seemed to be something that's been mentioned in there.

I want to say it might be speculation based of the fact of Capcom not having a character in FP1, the Rumors of Jill getting Canned because negotations fell through, and I think from Imran's post about Monster Hunter, though I think this speculation was still a thing before that post, so I'm not sure

Edit: I also don't have screenshot, I'm just remember that Papagenos discord talked about this point. If you search "Capcom Pass" in the Forest maze Discord, you'll see posts about this around late December. I've never seen a source though, just the speuclation

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Hmm, interesting. Think I'll add it to the list of games that should have an eye kept on them.
Until now, being a friend of Nintendo was a disadvantage in the Ultimate DLCs. Indeed, Nintendo didn't propose any DLC in Ultimate that come from one of these direct friend compagnies: Bamco, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, Konami, Level-5, Marvelous, PlatinumGames, Taito, Ubisoft, Sonic Team... Instead of that, Nintendo consolidated other alliances (Atlus, Microsoft x2, SNK, and Square Enix x2). I don't know which character will break this straight, but I think Steve greatly reduced Farmer's chances.

Aside from all the Story of Seasons Harvest Moon stuff, I’m pretty sure Marvelous does co-own Travis and are listed under the copyright for the costume.
Right.
I my opinion, any Costume from any company isn't a teaser for another rep of this company
If:
• Bomberman and Goemon don't tease Frogger / Pyramid Head,
• Altair and Rabbids don't tease Rayman,
• Gil and Heihachi don't tease Tales,
• Vault Boy doesn't tease Doomguy,
so I think Travis doesn't tease Farmer, and that would reduce Farmer's chances even further.

Do we have any actual evidence supporting that idea, or is that just hooey made up by the hate bandwagon? I’ve always wondered.
It's a twisted version of something that was said by an analyst who didn't 100% believe it himself.

The original story was that both Byleth and Monster Hunter were going to happen at one point (I believe the post said for base game), but MH didn't happen, so Byleth inherited the weapon master concept.

Still most likely a pile of Bologna. The timeline doesn't really seem to add up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Haven't been keeping up with leak discussion since sometime in December but uh

That's a pretty cool model, I wouldn't have bought the leak but damn that's impressive.
oh hey i remember this, you could tell cause they didn't show the name of the mii costume. still impressive tho

also something about how Master Chief canonically cannot have a black pallet cause it belongs to the antagonists or somethin

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's a twisted version of something that was said by an analyst who didn't 100% believe it himself.

The original story was that both Byleth and Monster Hunter were going to happen at one point (I believe the post said for base game), but MH didn't happen, so Byleth inherited the weapon master concept.

Still most likely a pile of Bologna. The timeline doesn't really seem to add up.
I can buy Sakurai jumping at the chance to reuse a concept he liked, but I really don't see Byleth being planned in the base game. Roy was an easy clone and made in an age with different standards, so he's excusable. Corrin was planned only months before from their home game's release, and Incineroar had a spot reserved a little less than a year away. Compare Byleth, who would've been reserved about 2-3 years before the release of their game, even before the delays kicked in. Byleth was most definitely not planned in the base game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
also something about how Master Chief canonically cannot have a black pallet cause it belongs to the antagonists or somethin
Bomberman still has color options despite some of the Mii colors not belonging to Bombers in R.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I can buy Sakurai jumping at the chance to reuse a concept he liked, but I really don't see Byleth being planned in the base game. Roy was an easy clone and made in an age with different standards, so he's excusable. Corrin was planned only months before from their home game's release, and Incineroar had a spot reserved a little less than a year away. Compare Byleth, who would've been reserved about 2-3 years before the release of their game, even before the delays kicked in. Byleth was most definitely not planned in the base game.
There’s also Greninja, who was chosen before it even had a name.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here is some news

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So basically E3 might be happening digitally but they already shot themselves in the foot. I doubt Nintendo would participate in the actual E3 Stream and might do something unrelated to E3 around the same time. Maybe.
It ain't Smash news but at least its something.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

He didn't even mention MH, he just said it was a character with a weaponmaster moveset whose negotiations fell through. MH could definitely fit that, but he never fingered the character in particular.

Oh yeah, Greninja. Not sure when he was planned, exactly. Do we have a date for him or just the "Chosen based off of designs" thing?
We don't have a date, the only thing we know is that they pegged a "Pokemon from XY" in the project plan and then filled in Greninja later upon seeing concept art. The only thing we can say is that the character was probably chosen between 2012 after the project plan, and October 2013 when XY released.

That said, considering the project plan only predated XY by over a year, Byleth still would've had them beat since Ultimate's project plan was finalized in December 2015, which would've been over two years before TH intended release before the delay.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I'm Glad Aaronitmar came out about this leak

I wish the same thing Happened with the Cacomallow Leak, and also the Grinch Leak, but for the latter they probably get in Big trouble because didn't they commit Impersonation fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom