• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here is some news

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So basically E3 might be happening digitally but they already shot themselves in the foot. I doubt Nintendo would participate in the actual E3 Stream and might do something unrelated to E3 around the same time. Maybe.

Think I've heard of this series before, brought up as a darkhorse candidate. Please, tell me more. I want to know what's going for them.
Story Of Seasons basically created the Farming life simulator genre, without it we wouldn't have games like Stardew Valley or hell maybe even Minecraft.

Wark-a-doodle-doo to you lot. I just woke up after dreaming that Bottles the mole was our next DLC fighter... while the presentation was held in some sort of interior garden. What weird dreams do you lot have related to Smash?
I had a dream that Tiki was our last fighter before the game launched it was her adult form and her child form was her echo, I'm still kinda mad that didn't happen.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here is the bad news
So a minimum of $100,000 to even take part? Yeah with how much difficulty Nintendo is having with making presentations, there's no way they're going to try to scrape anything together for this.

Also, Sony is already highly unlikely to take part, and smaller studios probably can't afford it, so unless Microsoft wants to join I have a hard time seeing how this is going to work.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Here is some news

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So basically E3 Is happening digitally but they already shot themselves in the foot. I doubt Nintendo would participate in the actual E3 Stream and might do something unrelated to E3 around the same time. Maybe.
Well, not happening yet but it's on the cards.

Dunno if people would want to pay six figures to get their private info leaked again and Summer Game Mess last year sorta showed that devs can put together their own shows without needing a centralised event.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
WELL uh

this conversation is getting kinda

uncomfortable

real fast

has uhhhh has anyone checked the... playlists lately? IDK ANYTHING TO NOT TALK ABOUT THIS.
Oh, is it NSFW o' clock already? Gee, that's what I get from being distracted with work.

Here, you happy, Rie? :roll:

Regarding weird Smash dreams, I once saw the last character (back in Volume 1) being revealed as Shovel Knight... with Waluigi's head.

Like, it wasn't a mask or anything, it was a fully animated Waluigi head on top of Shovel Knight's body.

Ngl, part of me would have liked this more than Byleth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looks like we probably won't see an E3 reveal, but we might get a reveal around that time like with Min Min last year.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, Kirby's design is a mess:
  • Inhale is Kirby's most important move from a representational standpoint, so it should be pretty good, but it's too slow to reasonably expect to land in a real match.
  • The Copy Abilities take about (currently) 78 moves, slap them on a fighter they weren't designed for, and force the character to be able to use them all without becoming majorly unbalanced.
    • I imagine this lead to the rest of the moveset being kind of mediocre.
  • Hammer Flip is pretty useless outside of the casual setting.
  • Stone has a very niche use outside of the casual setting.
    • In the casual setting, it is the single best move in the game.
  • Final Cutter is an "eh" recovery move picked because he has so many jumps, and currently sits at this awkward in-between of a Dragon Punch and a projectile attack.
Thing is though, a lot of Kirby's moves are iconic, so it's difficult to say how he could be fixed.
I do have a couple ideas, although those might be wonky from one aspect to another:

* When it comes to Inhale, it's worth noting that it was buffed in Ultimate: Sakurai and co added the 1.2X damage multiplier to the copied ability. The intent was likely to make people a bit more cautious and not get too close to Kirby. It's not that slow anymore (Frame 10), its issue IMHO is that it's kinda difficult to connect reliably. A slight shift forward during the animation could help. The trade off would be that Kirby's easier to hit, true, but the copy abilities are intended to be something to contend with. Not a full jump like that one Custom move - then again, that Custom move lead to one of the best failures in Smash history:

* Hammer Flip could be reworked a bit to more resemble how it functions in the Kirby games. Faster, but much weaker raw damage output than currently. My intent is to give him a semi-potent set up tool - it doesn't need to have huge range, but Kirby could still benefit from a start-up option that isn't D-Tilt (which is reliant on randomly tripping opponents in order to get a stronger window of opportunity, which makes it unreliable) or Forward Throw.

* Stone is going to be extremely difficult, no doubt. I'm tempted to leave it be, but maybe there should be a reason to use it on the ground? I'm thinking slight AoE damage (but no knockback) and likewise slight temporary knockback reduction for Kirby when it's used on the ground. My idea is to give Kirby a way to prolong his stock just a tad at high %, without making it even more obnoxious in a casual setting.

* Final Cutter... Difficult to say. Tempted to leave it as it is.

Like, it wasn't a mask or anything, it was a fully animated Waluigi head on top of Shovel Knight's body.

Ngl, part of me would have liked this more than Byleth.
In other words, you figured out Shovel Knight's true identity? :4pacman:

Edit: Oh **** the implications...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
* When it comes to Inhale, it's worth noting that it was buffed in Ultimate: Sakurai and co added the 1.2X damage multiplier to the copied ability. The intent was likely to make people a bit more cautious and not get too close to Kirby. It's not that slow anymore (Frame 10), its issue IMHO is that it's kinda difficult to connect reliably. A slight shift forward during the animation could help. The trade off would be that Kirby's easier to hit, true, but the copy abilities are intended to be something to contend with. Not a full jump like that one Custom move - then again, that Custom move lead to one of the best failures in Smash history:
Perhaps you could make the B-Reversed version of it affect momentum like Paralyzer does.

Final Cutter... Difficult to say. Tempted to leave it as it is.
Honestly the only problem with Final Cutter is that it's his best Special Move. I think it actually does accomplish something for Kirby's kit. It just isn't quite good enough to be his main neutral tool as it seems to be whenever I see competitive Kirbys. lol

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
in my opinion the pokemon trainer switching mechanic is important because it actually represents the gameplay of pokemon
Yes, and it's a bad thing.

Just like how actually representing the gameplay of Dragon Quest makes Hero crappy to play, and acctually representing the gameplay of Minecraft makes Steve AWFUL to play.

Little Town Hero? It came out in 2019 and was rightfully completely **** on for being garbage
Except that Toby Fox soundtrack.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It's a fish. Which means putting Waluigi in a mainline game would truly make him a fish out of water.
8462E62B-DF84-4BD2-801F-FC93835E8338.jpeg

Yes, and it's a bad thing.

Just like how actually representing the gameplay of Dragon Quest makes Hero crappy to play, and acctually representing the gameplay of Minecraft makes Steve AWFUL to play.
I gotta disagree, each Pokemon Trainer character is well designed and has proper merit to warrant being apart of the team like they are.

Heros a little dumb yeah, but I don’t think its that bad. All they need to do is get rid of the crits and give his menu options icons so you know what they are despite language barriers, then hes fine imo.

Steve is fine. He plays well, has a unique gimick. And is balanced appropriately. I don’t know what the problem is.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Black, White and Red Mage outfits for the Miis could be cool? I'd say Swordfighter, Gunner and Brawler in that orde
There are times I wonder if the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatible, allowing Smash Ultimate as an option on the system and safely freeing up the next game in the series to be a genuine shake-up in terms of roster, movesets, or both. Essentially the old game (and its online infrastructure) would be there if the newer sequel was too much of a change for most players.
I'd hope so! I consider myself an advocate for a Smash 'reboot' of sorts.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those montages can make anyone look good. Doesn't mean they are.
Eh, I can't be the only one who rolls their eyes when seeing a Mario clip as 9 out of 10 Mario clips are up air strings to Fair and seeing Min Min, characters like Pac-Man are popular in these as people who know what the **** they're doing make the characters look more interesting and big brained than you initially thought

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I know 2B and Kat aren't coming, but for some reason I still want to know who it's going to be. Even though I know that the characters left to choose from I do not care about.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
If I get either 2B or Kat I will be satisfied, but thats not gonna happen.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
seeing Min Min, characters like Pac-Man are popular in these as people who know what the **** they're doing make the characters look more interesting and big brained than you initially thought
Yeah, but it's stuff 99% of players are never going to be able to do so...who cares? The character is more frustrating and confusing to play for the majority of players and the benefit is...a handful of high-end players can make a couple cool videos? Doesn't seem worth it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, I can't be the only one who rolls their eyes when...seeing Min Min
Watching Min Min get away with murder is just the funniest stuff though.

Yeah, but it's stuff 99% of players are never going to be able to do so...who cares? The character is more frustrating and confusing to play for the majority of players and the benefit is...a handful of high-end players can make a couple cool videos? Doesn't seem worth it.
Nah it's for the people who like getting to know the ins and outs of complicated characters. That and depending on the person and the character, they're not inherently frustrating at the baseline of knowledge.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Again, people can find something new, it's legitimately inspiring to see high level play as it can make people want to pull that off. It's like character reveal trailers but after they're already out lol

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
What if the remaining dlc are from the companies missing from the first fighters pass? SNK, Atlus, Intelligent systems

Rie, who do you think it is? not based on who you want, but on your gut.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What if the remaining dlc are from the companies missing from the first fighters pass? SNK, Atlus, Intelligent systems
Rie, who do you think it is? not based on who you want, but on your gut.
Still double posting, that's a paddlin'. Still implying FE has a chance to be in FP2, that's a paddlin'.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else find it strange that Min Min is the only dlc character that came with spirits that are also in world of light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom