• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Absolute values are mainly used for distance. Distance can only be negative if you measure it on a flat plan and arbitrarily assign the positive and negative values to either direction, but in reality distance between two points has to be positive (you can't walk negative miles). Absolute numbers allow us to convert theoretical "negative distance" into physical "positive distance" in a mathematically sound way.

This has been your math fact of the day.
Ah that makes total sense. Thank you education system for not giving me any of this context and expecting us to think it's important.

But... Sun and Moon is also a straight line...
I think Gen 4 was the last region that allowed you to visit places out of order. Galar does have the least consistently interesting route design though since a good chunk of them are hallways, especially in the beginning.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think Gen 4 was the last region that allowed you to visit places out of order. Galar does have the least consistently interesting route design though since a good chunk of them are hallways, especially in the beginning.
That's my biggest problem with the game. It just feels so barren and dumbed down.
Sun and Moon were linear but there was stuff to do in routes. Trainers to fight. I know a lot of people don't like being interrupted by random trainers, but I feel that they help the world feel much more real, contrived locations be damned, and fighting all of them satisfies my completionist itch.
There's like 4-5 trainers in each route in Galar. I got to the next town before I even noticed I was in another route, and it didn't feel like I accomplished anything.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's my biggest problem with the game. It just feels so barren and dumbed down.
Sun and Moon were linear but there was stuff to do in routes. Trainers to fight. I know a lot of people don't like being interrupted by random trainers, but I feel that they help the world feel much more real, contrived locations be damned, and fighting all of them satisfies my completionist itch.
There's like 4-5 trainers in each route in Galar. I got to the next town before I even noticed I was in another route.
I'd be willing to bet that a big reason for this is a lack of optimization (can't really make interesting looking areas if doing anything like that tanks the framerate) and designing themselves into a corner with how the Exp. Share works (everyone gets a ton more experience so we have to give them less sources of it). That and perhaps how rushed they were. Might be the biggest reason.

I doubt they just randomly got bad at level design.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Absolute values are mainly used for distance. Distance can only be negative if you measure it on a flat plan and arbitrarily assign the positive and negative values to either direction, but in reality distance between two points has to be positive (you can't walk negative miles). Absolute numbers allow us to convert theoretical "negative distance" into physical "positive distance" in a mathematically sound way.

Brought to you by Dr. Kawashima.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The more I think about it, the more I want Jessie and James as playable characters in Smash. They might technically be considered Gen 1 reps but I feel like they better represent Pokémon as a whole and would be totally different than any other Pokémon character in Smash. Their eligibility is a bit questionable since they are primarily anime characters but they are still based on a video game IP. I feel like they are also more recognizable than even the biggest video game icons like Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot and they have so much personality. If Sakurai could get their original English voice actors to reprise their roles that would be even better (sadly it’s not possible for Meowth since his actress passed away).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This is exciting!

The old TCG app is... clunky at best, here's hoping this new one is better. I also hope it gets a Switch port, that would be perfect. And let me transfer my items, that too.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
With all due respect, I wouldn't really take everything Imran says at absolute value.

Just as some examples, he implied that Metroid remakes weren't done with yet despite Sakamoto's comments, and he was one of the people vouching for the so called "Switch Pro".
Then again, he was the one who implied Metroid Dread's revival by saying that Nintendo was reviving a cancelled game.
Hilariously enough though, at the time people thought he was talking about Scalebound, a game completely unrelated to Nintendo.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Have fun talking about Pokémon with me for the next few hours, i think I'm at my limit for the day
G'night

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Ok Minamimoto

Btw Future Games Show starts in 2 minutes and will show off the Nick All Stars Brawl trailer for those curious

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Then again, he was the one who implied Metroid Dread's revival by saying that Nintendo was reviving a cancelled game.
Hilariously enough though, at the time people thought he was talking about Scalebound, a game completely unrelated to Nintendo.
but saying Nintendo is reviving a cancelled game isn’t hinting at a Metroid revival. It’s too vague. By that logic I can say Nintendo are reviving another cancelled game and now all I have to do is wait till they revive a specific cancelled series/game and say I was hinting at that.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm still skeptical about an absolutely massive name like Sora or Master Chief being saved for last as a way to bookend Ultimate. It's just never been Nintendo's prerogative to do that sort of thing. Even when Smash for's DLC had to choose a character that could be the ballot winner, they opted to go with Bayonetta over the juggernauts that are Ryu and Cloud Strife, two of the most iconic video game characters ever.

I'm open to the possibility (and would love to be) wrong about this and definitely don't want to ruin anyone's dreams or anything, but this is just how I personally see the situation at this very moment.

Shroob

Sup?
So, old hash at this point but:

Predict the week the Direct will air.

Afaik, Nintendo currently has nothing planned at all for next, but the following week has WarioWare come out, which may be good as a final marketing push.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm still skeptical about an absolutely massive name like Sora or Master Chief being saved for last as a way to bookend Ultimate. It's just never been Nintendo's prerogative to do that sort of thing. Even when Smash for's DLC had to choose a character that could be the ballot winner, they opted to go with Bayonetta over the juggernauts that are Ryu and Cloud Strife, two of the most iconic video game characters ever.

I'm open to the possibility (and would love to be) wrong about this and definitely don't want to ruin anyone's dreams or anything, but this is just how I personally see the situation at this very moment.
Oh, don't you worry. I'm fully prepared for Goomba to end up as the grand finale....gotta go out big.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That still might be referring to a different game since he also implied the Metroid game was a remake.

Either that or he provided extremely mixed messaging about what he believed this game to be.

Afaik, Nintendo currently has nothing planned at all for next, but the following week has WarioWare come out, which may be good as a final marketing push.
I'm thinking it will arrive in the single digits of September, which puts it next week or the one after.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yeah, September 6~10 seems like a safe bet.

Basically push Warioware, plus more stuff for Metroid Dread and SMTV, probably. And CP11, of course.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

everyone in this group by now should know I’m praying it’s on the 9th and that it’s 30 minutes so that 4chan leak is correct. I really want curious village on the switch and I won’t give up on the leak until it’s proven fake

edit: I had to edit this post because my dodgy WiFi got rid of half the post as it posted it

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm still skeptical about an absolutely massive name like Sora or Master Chief being saved for last as a way to bookend Ultimate. It's just never been Nintendo's prerogative to do that sort of thing.
Yeah, I don't think it would be a deliberate decision to have a massive name at the end, but a scenario I could see is negotiations for a bigger name given the green light last minute (negotiaton-wise), which in turn would make them appear last.

Though I'm still expecting a lower-key character as the last one.

I'll say the 6th - 10th, seems like an opportune time.

The more I think about it, the more I want Jessie and James as playable characters in Smash.
Summoning Arcadenik Arcadenik in 3-2-1...

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

They did something like that with Kirby Star Allies, too (still my 2018 Game of the Year). Makes me wonder if any post-launch content could make it in. That'd be all kinds of amazing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, they're just going to go with a regular goomba and not go with the much superior Dr. Goomba Tower, because as we all know we never end on the most hype notes ever, which Dr. Goomba Tower absolutely would be.
I would be all over Dr. Goomba Tower. If they're gonna add your basic Mario mook to Smash, they should've gone fully insane with it like Goomba Tower M.D over PP, imo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The more I think about it, the more I want Jessie and James as playable characters in Smash. They might technically be considered Gen 1 reps but I feel like they better represent Pokémon as a whole and would be totally different than any other Pokémon character in Smash. Their eligibility is a bit questionable since they are primarily anime characters but they are still based on a video game IP. I feel like they are also more recognizable than even the biggest video game icons like Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot and they have so much personality. If Sakurai could get their original English voice actors to reprise their roles that would be even better (sadly it’s not possible for Meowth since his actress passed away).
As for gameplay, I think they could be a trio fighter, but like, in the same way as Banjo & Kazooie are duo fighters. The main fighter would be Meowth, but he'd be followed by Jessie & James's Pokémon, who would get hit alongside him (though they wouldn't extend his hitbox or anything like that). Jessie & James's Pokémon would be there for certain Special Moves, and act kind of like vs. style assists that you could swap out Monado Art wheel style (Jessie's Pokémon on the left of the wheel, and James's Pokémon on the right).

As for which Pokémon would be at your disposal, I'd imagine they'd be based solely or heavily on the games rather than the anime, which would mean the only ones that are available are the classic Arbok and Weezing along with:
Jessie:
  • Scyther
  • Stantler
  • Bagon
James:
  • Pinsir
  • Grimer
  • Sneazel
  • Beldum
These are the Pokémon from their Pokémon GO teams. They might also pull from generic Team Rocket Grunts, which would add:
  • Sandshrew or Sandslash
  • Rattata or Raticate
  • Zubat or Golbat
  • Machop or Machoke
  • Drowzee or Hypno
  • Cubone or Marowak
  • Venonat
  • Oddish or Gloom
  • Houndour
  • Voltorb
  • Ghastly or Haunter
  • Persian (but probably not)
The rest are from Pokémon Stadium, so they probably wouldn't be considered, but here they are just to be thorough:
  • Poliwag or Polywhirl
  • Omanyte or Omastar
  • Nidoran ♀, Nidorina, or Nidoqueen
  • Muk
  • Onix
  • Jynx
  • Geodude, Graveler, or Golem
  • Aerodactyl
  • Victreebell
  • Nidoran ♂ or Nidoking
  • Horsea
  • Goldeen
  • Kabuto
  • Rhyhorn or Rhydon
  • Clefable
  • Tentacruel
  • Dewgong
  • Shellder or Cloyster
  • Slowbro
  • Vaporeon
  • Moltrez
  • Dodrio
  • Parasect
  • Kangaskhan
  • Pineco or Forretress
  • Electrode
  • Sudowoodo
  • Murkrow
  • Spinerak
  • Dunsparce
  • Shuckle
  • Azumarill
If they were to use the anime as the source for their Pokémon, I'd imagine they'd give Jessie three of these guys:
  • Arbok (guaranteed)
  • Wobbuffet (guaranteed)
  • Dustox
  • Mimikyu
  • Woobat
  • Yanmega
and James three of these:
  • Weezing (guaranteed)
  • Mime Jr.
  • Carnivine
  • Yamask
  • Inkay
  • Chimecho
  • Morpeko
I personally like the anime lineup better since it's more tailored to the characters and has more than just Gen 1 Pokémon (also Wobbuffet would be a pretty glaring omission), but I kind of feel like they wouldn't do that. As for how the Specials would work I think it would be something like:
  • :GCN: Change Pokémon
  • :GCR: Jessie's Pokémon
  • :GCD: James's Pokémon
  • :GCU: Fury Swipes

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

Either next week or the week of the 13th.

I don't think they would want to fill the launch week of WarioWare with extra announcements, so I don't think it will be the week of the 6th.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

I have no need to
My uncle works there so he can just tell me the day of the direct and I can spare you all the trouble. :4pacman:
Btw, I type this as I wait for the Nick All Stars reveals lol

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'm thinking 2 weeks. Around the 10th. And....I mean....Nintendo has aired a Direct on that day before.

More power if it's next week, but I'm thinking in around 2 weeks.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Nah. I do plan on getting the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection at one point though
Also, you ever get that feeling you’re being watched when playing a video game?

Because I played X DiVE, and apparently after one of the levels, RiCO reveals she (SOMEHOW) knows where the player lives.
F240B662-4D5C-4184-A87B-1AC80AF6B7D9.jpeg

I now live in a constant state of fear because of this.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ehh..........maybe it just the figment of your imagination and it is just a gimmick. Yeah, it is that HA HA HA.

She can't be THAT good for a program right?

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Ehh..........maybe it just the figment of your imagination and it is just a gimmick. Yeah, it is that HA HA HA.

She can't be THAT good for a program right?
If I remember correctly, she says this:

“You really are a Player! You must have spent some time in other games' cyberspace! See, I really do know people!”

I think this likely implies she knows just how many emulators I have on my PC to play games I dream of having. More likely implying she KNOWS WHERE I LIVE.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I dunno man, this selection of characters to supposedly consider feels like it's painting a very incomplete and misguided picture of what SEGA have to offer.

Some of the ones to look out for IMO are Puyo, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, SMT and Phantasy Star. It's hard to tell with Streets of Rage but I think it at least has enough merit to be included. Shenmue and a sort of representative for their arcade history I think might be potential darkhorses, and I'd have been fully behind the idea of Virtua Fighter being possible were it not for the fact that two of the most prominent characters in the franchise - including its main character - have already been Mii'd
A Sega character directly made by Sega is more likely than a character that they own because they published the game for a studio not linked to them, Especially when said studio doesnt exist anymore or the creators are hard to locate. Its why you never see any of the Treasure, Westone, Nextech, Vic Tokai, etc make cameos or appearances in crossovers.

Steve Lycett from Sumo Digital discussed this a long time ago on the Sega Forums when making roster for All Stars Racing. You need permission from creator or dev team of said character. There's also a regional issue as well.

Puyo Puyo is bit weirder. You'll notice Sega tried really hard to replace the old cast with new characters entirely for many years, but more recently the old compile characters getting used more often now. A famitsu Interview confirmed Sega hired alot of compile devs that worked on the OG puyo games after Fever 2 hence why so many compile characters started returning and used in more crossover material now.

Dukefire

Smash Master
sigh......guess the Megaman cyberspace is too sentient from hiding your true presence from other cyberspace you visited.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
A Sega character directly made by Sega is more likely than a character that they own because they published the game for a studio not linked to them, Especially when said studio doesnt exist anymore or the creators are hard to locate. Its why you never see any of the Treasure, Westone, Nextech, Vic Tokai, etc make cameos or appearances in crossovers.

Steve Lycett from Sumo Digital discussed this a long time ago on the Sega Forums when making roster for All Stars Racing. You need permission from creator or dev team of said character. There's also a regional issue as well.

Puyo Puyo is bit weirder. You'll notice Sega tried really hard to replace the old cast with new characters entirely for many years, but more recently the old compile characters getting used more often now. A famitsu Interview confirmed Sega hired alot of compile devs that worked on the OG puyo games after Fever 2 hence why so many compile characters started returning and used in more crossover material now.
I feel like this only tangentially relates to what I said but huh...that is interesting. Honestly kind of a shame, seeing something like the Seven Force in All-Stars Racing would have been hype as ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom