• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ninjara wasn't fitting enough for Min Min?
Every Mii costume wave apart from the DQ heroes wave had at least one returning Mii costume from Smash 4 that belonged to a third party. That'll obviously end with Lloyd's costume in Kazuya's mii costume wave, so speculation for FP11 will require more digging into other areas.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Every Mii costume wave apart from the DQ heroes wave had at least one returning Mii costume from Smash 4 that belonged to a third party. That'll obviously end with Lloyd's costume in Kazuya's mii costume wave, so speculation for FP11 will require more digging into other areas.
The confusion stems from the fact that Lloyd and Heihachi come from the same company. They could've dropped Lloyd with Min Min and saved Heihachi for, you know, the franchise he actually appears in.

Doesn't make much sense why they'd split up the content like that when they knew Tekken would make an appearance a year later.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Lloyd's costume in Kazuya's mii costume wave, so speculation for FP11 will require more digging into other areas.

Lloyd won't be with Kazuya. They will also add Mametchi, but not Agumon.

They will then end the DLC with Jibanyan, and their Mii Costumes will be revealed with them.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sakurai's love for the NES era gives me a gut feeling that he'd want to try to get EVERY NES game repped to his ability.
To my prior knowledge, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Bubble Bobble, and Startropics are left.
Contra feels almost like one of two most likeliest picks if Nintendo decided they want one more fighter from Konami, with Bomberman being the other likely pick.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lloyd won't be with Kazuya. They will also add Mametchi, but not Agumon.

They will then end the DLC with Jibanyan, and their Mii Costumes will be revealed with them.
and what makes you so sure that Lloyd won't be with Kazuya? Both are owned by Bandai Namco, much like how Geno and Final Fantasy are owned by Square Enix. I hoped the Geno Mii costume wouldn't be with Sephiroth, but it showed up nevertheless.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Resident Evil spirit event wasn't completely random, actually.

RE5 and RE6 had been released on Switch by the very end of October 2019. The spirit event happened a few weeks later and was probably promotion for that.
If there was a spirit event I feel WAS totally random it’s the Warframe one

Warframe had been out for what, 6 months on the switch when the Lotus spirit was added?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Contra feels almost like one of two most likeliest picks if Nintendo decided they want one more fighter from Konami, with Bomberman being the other likely pick.
yeah. I've felt that Contra was always a dark horse in Smash speculation since FP1; one of those franchises that doesn't get brought up that much but makes perfect sense.

Twilord

Smash Ace
and what makes you so sure that Lloyd won't be with Kazuya? Both are owned by Bandai Namco, much like how Geno and Final Fantasy are owned by Square Enix. I hoped the Geno Mii costume wouldn't be with Sephiroth, but it showed up nevertheless.
I was being tongue in cheek. It would convince people Lloyd was coming, except for those who saw the lack of Agumon while Mametchi was there as equally suspicious.

Then it would turn out we were all wrong.

----------------------------

Its a joke about the failure of a key-stone of speculation, Mii Costume implications and associations.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
yeah. I've felt that Contra was always a dark horse in Smash speculation since FP1; one of those franchises that doesn't get brought up that much but makes perfect sense.
Contra deals with guns (even if they're cartoony), I think they work better as Assists.

Bomberman might make the jump to playable character next Smash

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If there was a spirit event I feel WAS totally random it’s the Warframe one

Warframe had been out for what, 6 months on the switch when the Lotus spirit was added?
WAIT RIE YOU JUST GAVE ME AN IDEA
What if Sakurai wanted to release that Lotus spirit randomly so he could see how the internet reacted to it, and if there was enough positivity and demand, he'd try to get a Warframe character like Excalibir in the game? Either as playable or a Mii Swordfighter outfit

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Until we know otherwise I'm just assuming the next Smash Bros game, by the time we get all the DLC, will have the same number of fighters as Smash 64.

Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Fox will probably be replaced to spread the representation better across as many of the ON-GOING first-party franchises as possible.

Obvious replacements include Inkling, Marth, and Villager OR Isabelle. I highly doubt there will be enough room for my beloved Xenoblade, but I can hope.
There's no universe where we go all the way down to 12 characters. That's small for any fighting game, let alone Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The confusion stems from the fact that Lloyd and Heihachi come from the same company. They could've dropped Lloyd with Min Min and saved Heihachi for, you know, the franchise he actually appears in.

Doesn't make much sense why they'd split up the content like that when they knew Tekken would make an appearance a year later.
Who knows? Maybe Sakurai will talk about it next week?

D

Deleted member

Yeah I could see a very random wave of costumes like, 1 Tekken costume (probably Jin), Lloyd's costume, and then 2-3 random costume from other companies.
Also for obvious reasons this time is the best opportunity to get some FGC costumes. So who knows, maybe we'll get costumes for Nightmare, Sol, or even Scorpion/Sub-zero. That would be cool.

Also, if Lloyd manages to survive one more time and his costume doesn't return with Kazuya, I think it would be a really safe bet to expect a RPG/swordfighter character as CP11.

To be honest I wouldn't complain against that.
Kuma and Mokujin are good mii costume possibilities. Hell, have you seen Mokujin? He already looks like a Mii Fighter.
1624303262669.jpeg

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Until we know otherwise I'm just assuming the next Smash Bros game, by the time we get all the DLC, will have the same number of fighters as Smash 64.

Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Fox will probably be replaced to spread the representation better across as many of the ON-GOING first-party franchises as possible.

Obvious replacements include Inkling, Marth, and Villager OR Isabelle. I highly doubt there will be enough room for my beloved Xenoblade, but I can hope.
What could this hypothetical new game bring that justifies 8/9 Ninths of the roster (That is around the actual number) being cut?

If I’m being real. Nobody is gonna play that over Ultimate. Its a really bad marketing decision.

Sorry if this sounds mean, I just realized how aggressive this may sound.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Kuma and Mokujin are good mii costume possibilities. Hell, have you seen Mokujin? He already looks like a Mii Fighter.
View attachment 320196
I also feel like he'd make a no-brainer Spirit Battle. In fact, I did one:

Class: ★★
Type: Primary (Neutral)
Slots: ⬡
Effect: N/A
  • Puppet Fighter: Giant :ultpacman: (default)
  • Stage: PAC-LAND Ω
  • Music Track: E. Honda Stage Type B
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • Stamina battle
    • All fighters have reduced jump power
    • The enemy is giant

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I've heard a lot of ideas for a series reboot that nukes the roster and only includes the "important" characters but this is way to much. In no way are they gonna pull off a roster of 12 and have it compare in any way to the previous games.

Technomage

Smash Champion
How about we just put ALL the roster fighters under the guillotine and replace them with OCs (like in that Dragon King game)? :4pacman: (partially)

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
What could this hypothetical new game bring that justifies 8/9 Ninths (That is the actual number) being cut?

If I’m being real. Nobody is gonna play that over Ultimate. Its a really bad marketing decision.

Sorry if this sounds mean, I just realized how aggressive this may sound.
Phenomenal cosmic power!

There's no universe where we go all the way down to 12 characters. That's small for any fighting game, let alone Smash.
To be sure; but its a fun mental challenge to figure out who they would pick.

I've heard a lot of ideas for a series reboot that nukes the roster and only includes the "important" characters but this is way to much. In no way are they gonna pull off a roster of 12 and have it compare in any way to the previous games.
Of course not... but its literally the bare minimum we could ever expect.

-------------------------------------------

This is more of a thought exercise I do in order to keep my expectations low enough. The Ultimate contrast with Ultimate.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
The only way you could pull off a roster of 12 is to remake Super Smash Bros.

Even then people would probably prefer a remake of Super Smash Bros. Melee, provided nothing about the engine changes aside from optimization stuff.
inb4 they port ultimate and the "newest" smash game is the 1:1 melee hd remake

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sakurai's love for the NES era gives me a gut feeling that he'd want to try to get EVERY NES game repped to his ability.
To my prior knowledge, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Bubble Bobble, and Startropics are left.
I don't think Sakurai knows what StarTropics is...

A multigame, 1st party franchise, and it doesn't even have Spirits...smh

But at the very least, he should want everything on the NES Classic Edition/Famicom Mini to be repped.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Look if I thought Thanos snapping the roster size in half next game was bad

cutting literally 90% is even WORSE

what do you stand to gain from it…?
The entire roster will be perfectly balanced, with no character being better than the others.

You know, like Street Fighter II or the original Super Smash Bros.! Those had no balancing issues or unfair/one-sided match-ups, right?

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
inb4 they port ultimate and the "newest" smash game is the 1:1 melee hd remake

I wish we even could get a port of Ultimate; but I feel like the legal stuff would still be too big a problem.

What did I wake up to this time
A formal declaration from Sakurai that whoever replaces him starts from scratch, with their own twelve character Smash Bros game, Smash 64 style.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I'd expect 12 to possibly be a starting roster for the next game if they want to have the players unlock almost all the characters like in Ultimate, which I did find admittedly fun even if it only took a couple days.
a part of me wishes that the identity of the smash dlc characters weren't even shown ahead of time, imagine if they just "new smash char in a week stay tuned for updates"

lmao they could've even randomly shadowdropped characters without announcing release dates, community would be completely in the dark but the mystique would make it way more hype IMO

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Discussion on whether or not we should reduce Smash 6's roster to 12 characters (as well as a partial joke about cutting all of the characters and replacing them with OCs).
I don't think Sakurai knows whart StarTropics is...

A multigame, 1st party franchise, and it doesn't even have Spirits...smh
To be fair, I don’t think the franchise has ever (and I mean never) found its way into Japan, so the idea that it’s unknown to everyone at SORA isn’t entirely baseless...

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This is totally baseless and essentially a conspiracy, but I think it has some merit as an idea.

Is it possible Nintendo already has some negotiations in place for the next Smash?

There were already some rumours the third parties in Smash 4 were also negotiated for Ultimate at the same time

Nintendo clearly knows how hard it is to regain all these licenses and rights.

Is it that far fetched of an idea that Nintendo may also have cut a deal for some of these fighters so they can appear next game as well as this one?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
People must really be bored if we are cycling back to cuts.

Honestly, I think it’s more likely that there is no “next game” than we thanos Snap the roster. Basically keep having ultimate as the base and toss on new things each time. With the way Nintendo is going, an Ultimate DX for the Super Switch around launch would be an easy bet similar to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Phenomenal cosmic power!

To be sure; but its a fun mental challenge to figure out who they would pick.

Of course not... but its literally the bare minimum we could ever expect.

-------------------------------------------

This is more of a thought exercise I do in order to keep my expectations low enough. The Ultimate contrast with Ultimate.
Oh, so that wasn't a serious suggestion. My apologies then

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is totally baseless and essentially a conspiracy, but I think it has some merit as an idea.

Is it possible Nintendo already has some negotiations in place for the next Smash?

There were already some rumours the third parties in Smash 4 were also negotiated for Ultimate at the same time

Nintendo clearly knows how hard it is to regain all these licenses and rights.

Is it that far fetched of an idea that Nintendo may also have cut a deal for some of these fighters so they can appear next game as well as this one?
I was actually thinking about multi game contracts a month or so back

and some rumors, like the Falcom, Reimu, LoL, Apex ones? What if they’re for the next game?

ok that last one may be a stretch, but still
People must really be bored if we are cycling back to cuts.

Honestly, I think it’s more likely that there is no “next game” than we thanos Snap the roster. Basically keep having ultimate as the base and toss on new things each time. With the way Nintendo is going, an Ultimate DX for the Super Switch around launch would be an easy bet similar to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
I only hope that Ult DX has more compared to Vanilla Ult than MK8DX had compared to Vanilla MK8, if I’m making sense

MK8DX’s additions were… paltry

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As for Mii costumes, I haven't see too many people mention Paul Phoenix. He's a fairly reasonable choice. Dude's in every Tekken like Nina and Heihachi. And he has a pretty...distinct hair style. Though, I do think Jin, Nina and Yoshimitsu would be good choices as well.

Shame we never got Blanka or M.Bison or something for Street Fighter Mii costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom