• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
This is totally baseless and essentially a conspiracy, but I think it has some merit as an idea.

Is it possible Nintendo already has some negotiations in place for the next Smash?

There were already some rumours the third parties in Smash 4 were also negotiated for Ultimate at the same time

Nintendo clearly knows how hard it is to regain all these licenses and rights.

Is it that far fetched of an idea that Nintendo may also have cut a deal for some of these fighters so they can appear next game as well as this one?
Considering how Sakurai said the next Smash wouldn't be for around another 10 years I kind of doubt it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is totally baseless and essentially a conspiracy, but I think it has some merit as an idea.

Is it possible Nintendo already has some negotiations in place for the next Smash?

There were already some rumours the third parties in Smash 4 were also negotiated for Ultimate at the same time

Is it that far fetched of an idea that Nintendo may also have cut a deal for some of these fighters so they can appear next game as well as this one?
Honestly, if the next game is just Ultimate DX I would believe it more.

I doubt we will get a full reboot of smash anytime soon or arguably ever. That being said, putting a “new” smash at the launch of the super switch does sound like something Nintendo would do.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Considering how Sakurai said the next Smash wouldn't be for around another 10 years I kind of doubt it.
The problem with statements like these is that Sakurai isn't the one making those calls. so his words concerning that subject don't really hold any weight.

Brawl is a prime case of this because Iwata had a backup plan of porting Melee if Sakurai didn't want to make a new Smash on the Wii.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
People must really be bored if we are cycling back to cuts.

Honestly, I think it’s more likely that there is no “next game” than we thanos Snap the roster. Basically keep having ultimate as the base and toss on new things each time. With the way Nintendo is going, an Ultimate DX for the Super Switch around launch would be an easy bet similar to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
They are never going to quit Smash, let's be real here.

And quite frankly the "just make each Smash game from now on Ultimate but add a little more each time" just sounds stale as hell to me.

Twilord

Smash Ace
The only 12 character Smash game I want to play in the near future is Smash Bros 64 coming to that N64 Switch Online that's going to be happening anyday now.

Anyday now.....................

Please?

Image we get Smash 64... but every character is replaced.

Tails​
Sonic​
Banjo​
Hero​
Simon​
AiAi​
Naoya Todo
Spyro​
Pac-Man​
Reimu​
Agumon​
Gabumon​

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As for Mii costumes, I haven't see too many people mention Paul Phoenix. He's a fairly reasonable choice. Dude's in every Tekken like Nina and Heihachi. And he has a pretty...distinct hair style. Though, I do think Jin, Nina and Yoshimitsu would be good choices as well.

Shame we never got Blanka or M.Bison or something for Street Fighter Mii costumes.
Oh yeah. Paul would be a fitting choices for a costume.
I also think Hwoarang is another possibility

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Tails​
Sonic​
Banjo​
Hero​
Simon​
AiAi​
Naoya Todo​
Spyro​
Pac-Man​
Reimu​
Agumon​
Gabumon​
Naoya Todo… isn’t that the persona 1 protag?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And quite frankly the "just make each Smash game from now on Ultimate but add a little more each time" just sounds stale as hell to me.
Literally all I want. If that sounds stale to you, play something else.

Do you ever suggest hypotheticals that AREN'T nightmare scenarios?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

I think they'll probably always have some sort of affiliations going on, some characters fall through during negotiations, which I feel may be discussed and revisited again later, it's probably an on-going scenario, will character X make it this game or not, maybe next game etc. Us customers will only see the end results which may or may not become reality.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don’t see them NOT including a Soul Calibur Mii this wave

it’s not Tekken levels of popular but still deserves acknowledgement

like of Nightmare, Siegfried, Seung Mi-Na, Ivy lul
Nightmare getting a Mii would be the absolute closest thing to a win for me.

Getting someone from a Bamco 3D fighter and some SoulCalibur content.

Me want that.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The problem with statements like these is that Sakurai isn't the one making those calls. so his words concerning that subject don't really hold any weight.

Brawl is a prime case of this because Iwata had a backup plan of porting Melee if Sakurai didn't want to make a new Smash on the Wii.
You gotta keep in mind that Smash games usually take a long time to release. The exceptions being the window between Smash 64 and Melee (two years, since Melee had a very fast development cycle) and between Smash 4 and Ultimate (four years, since development started right after). Melee came out in 2002 with Brawl not coming until 2008, and Smash 4 not coming until 2014. So even if we don't have to wait until 2028 I can't imagine they would be getting ready for the next Smash right now unless it's a port job.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Out of curiosity why do so many people leave Resident Evil off their "big characters" lists? Even if you have never played Resident Evil, it's literally THE biggest Japanese third party not in Smash. Chris, Jill and Leon are also all popular and iconic videogame characters.
People aren't sure if the event disconfirms, because it happened so late into Volume 1, when Volume 2 had already been announced.

Personally, I don't think said event matters... but at the same time I'm not too confident in RE because it's way too big of a series to end on, considering past precedent.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since Kaz is fighter number 81, that'd mean there'd be 19 more numbered fighters needed to reach 100. In that case, what 19 characters would people pick? My picks are:

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
3) Morrigan Aensland (with Lilith as an echo)
4) Scorpion (with Sub-Zero as an echo)
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
19) Waluigi as the "finale" character (since it'd be "after all this time, Waluigi FINALLY gets into the roster")
Ah, we're doing "Get the number up to 100, intern, or you'll get thrown into the pit."? Alright Bet.

1. Mega Man X
2. Chun-Li
3. Ryu Hayabusa
4. Sub-Zero/Scorpion
5. Master Chief
6. Crash
7. Lara Croft
8. Fulgore
9. Dixie Kong
10. Sol Badguy
11. Dante
12. Rayman
13. Tails
14. Andrew Advance Wars
15. Lyn McFireEmblem
16. Doom Slayer/Guy
17. Geese Howard
18. Lloyd Irving
19. Wonder Red

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You gotta keep in mind that Smash games usually take a long time to release. The exceptions being the window between Smash 64 and Melee (two years, since Melee had a very fast development cycle) and between Smash 4 and Ultimate (four years, since development started right after). Melee came out in 2002 with Brawl not coming until 2008, and Smash 4 not coming until 2014. So even if we don't have to wait until 2028 I can't imagine they would be getting ready for the next Smash right now unless it's a port job.
Either way, there's absolutely no way the franchise is going to be gone. It sells too well for Nintendo to get rid of it.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Boi don’t make me send u to horny jail
Oh please do; horny jail is a great place to be in (after all, it has pizza, burgers, beer, an indoor swimming pool, a movie theater, blackjack, and hookers (actually, forget the blackjack and hookers), and then some). That's one of the reasons I keep breaking the horny laws. :4pacman:

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Either way, there's absolutely no way the franchise is going to be gone. It sells too well for Nintendo to get rid of it.
I wasn't saying the series was dying off at all, unless there was something I missed in the quote of my original post that made it seem as such. Considering Ultimate is the best selling fighting game of all time right now it makes no sense to just stop making games because "the series peaked".

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
As for Mii costumes, I haven't see too many people mention Paul Phoenix. He's a fairly reasonable choice. Dude's in every Tekken like Nina and Heihachi. And he has a pretty...distinct hair style. Though, I do think Jin, Nina and Yoshimitsu would be good choices as well.

Shame we never got Blanka or M.Bison or something for Street Fighter Mii costumes.
I still want to see the Prince of All Cosmos as a Mii costume. Maybe even throw the King in there as well, Katamari content just doesn't feel complete without him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is it weird that the only SC character I’m really familiar with is Seung Mi-Na

cause SC was in arcades a lot in theaters when I was younger and I guess her design and weapon stood out to me

Twilord

Smash Ace
Oh please do; horny jail is a great place to be in (after all, it has pizza, burgers, beer, an indoor swimming pool, a movie theater, blackjack, and hookers (actually, forget the blackjack and hookers), and then some).

I get that if you're in a prison designed for horny people, you'd probably not need to purchase sex... BUT why scrap the blackjack?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, more of the same is just gonna get old fast. Sure, Ultimate has the biggest and best roster so far, but there's a lot of stuff beyond that requiring more work. The main thing that sticks out to me is the poor variety of stages - 15th Grassy starter stage, anyone? If it's just an updated port, we're kinda stuck with that. I mean, sure, you could remove them, but at that point it starts drifting closer to a new game.

Granted, I'm not all that attached to a good portion of the roster, so cuts won't affect me all that much unless it's someone who appeals directly to me getting the boot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really do think people need a bit of a reality check if they're honestly expecting an "Ultimate Deluxe" to happen, like, ever.

Nintendo couldn't just do something like that on the cheap to save money. Yeah it would save development cost, but not what would truly matter in this context...licensing costs. They would need to re-obtain all the licenses they acquired for Ultimate, and the cost might even be higher upon renegotiation considering how well Ultimate did.

And then you have cases like Hero. The entire reason Hero was DLC was because otherwise Nintendo would have to pay music royalties on a sixty dollar item as opposed to a six dollar item. Hero's price alone would increase the cost exponentially since he'd no longer be DLC. And honestly, I doubt he's the only case like this...just the most egregious example.

This whole thing is exactly why it's so hard to rerelease certain games with crossovers intact. Making a Deluxe version of Ultimate would cost enough for Nintendo to simply think it's not justifiable, and instead just make a new game with cuts. Sakurai pretty much already said Ultimate was a one time deal, and people here really need to stop bargaining and face reality.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kuma and Mokujin are good mii costume possibilities. Hell, have you seen Mokujin? He already looks like a Mii Fighter.
View attachment 320196
I want to see people mod Kazuya(and honestly, any adult sized character)with a Mokujin alt.

For Tekken Mii costumes: Yoshimitsu would make a great Mii Fighter.
Tekken 3 Yoshimitsu would be the ideal choice. Though most of his designs are pretty great.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I really do think people need a bit of a reality check if they're honestly expecting an "Ultimate Deluxe" to happen, like, ever.

Nintendo couldn't just do something like that on the cheap to save money. Yeah it would save development cost, but not what would truly matter in this context...licensing costs. They would need to re-obtain all the licenses they acquired for Ultimate, and the cost might even be higher upon renegotiation considering how well Ultimate did.

And then you have cases like Hero. The entire reason Hero was DLC was because otherwise Nintendo would have to pay music royalties on a sixty dollar item as opposed to a six dollar item. Hero's price alone would increase the cost exponentially since he'd no longer be DLC. And honestly, I doubt he's the only case like this...just the most egregious example.

This whole thing is exactly why it's so hard to rerelease certain games with crossovers intact. Making a Deluxe version of Ultimate would cost enough for Nintendo to simply think it's not justifiable, and instead just make a new game with cuts. Sakurai pretty much already said Ultimate was a one time deal, and people here really need to stop bargaining and face reality.
If they were to do it, this would be the game to do it for. It isn't like cheap and 'low effort re-releases' are a strange notion since MK8 and Tropical Freeze, among others, exist.

With them following more traditional fighting game methods, I'd not even be surprised if they pull an MVC3 or SF4 and have additional 'editions' later on to revive interest, introduce new content and (Hopefully) balance fixes and other general fixes to the game. If they keep the price attractive they could make good money off Ultimate for a good while without needing to pour more resources into a new title that won't compare for many.

Just look how annoyed SF folks were when after SF4 ended and we got that piecemeal of a starter roster for SF5. Hard to go from 4's roster to 5's base roster. A tough pill to swallow waiting AGES for your main to return...IF they return.

And even having a smaller team work on continued content for each 'edition' while they wait for the right time to begin work proper on a sequel seems like ez money.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, I think in regards to Miis, King and Yoshimitsu are gonna be the only Tekken Mii Costumes we get, if we get any. Not only are they Iconic to the series, but they both have very Distinct Designs

As for the Next Smash game, Even if the Base roster doesn't have every character in the game and more, there's no reason to say we can't get Veteran characters as DLC again. If anything it might be good to do Veteran DLC next game since it be easier source of Income for DLC development since Veterans already have their general moveset developed and such, and just need to be readjusted for Next game

Is it weird that the only SC character I’m really familiar with is Seung Mi-Na

cause SC was in arcades a lot in theaters when I was younger and I guess her design and weapon stood out to me
It is weird to be honest, Especially with some of the character design Soul Calibur has, but it's not a bad thing. Very unique experience though

People aren't sure if the event disconfirms, because it happened so late into Volume 1, when Volume 2 had already been announced.

Personally, I don't think said event matters... but at the same time I'm not too confident in RE because it's way too big of a series to end on, considering past precedent.
Hypothetically, if Resident Evil was in FP2, perhaps the reason they may be last is Development time, as in some aspect of the challenger pack means it would take long time to Develop

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why are some of you guys so obsessed with cutting the roster for a hypothetical sequel as much as possible?

And cutting Luigi? Excuse me...but are you out of your mind?!
An Ultimate Deluxe is unlikely to happen because of massive licensing costs. It's also possible that the next Nintendo console is backwards compatible with the Switch, meaning that players could play Ultimate on it as is negating the need for an Ultimate Deluxe.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I mean, look at how they handled Mario Kart or Splatoon 2. Modern Nintendo just seems a bit unwilling to re invent the wheel too much. Heck, Ultimate was built off of 4 heavily at the end of the day. At best, we get a splatoon 2 level of content (or ultimate from 4). At worst, we just get a Ultimate deluxe.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
12 characters is an absolutely tiny roster size by Smash standards, and not particularly large by any fighting game's standards. Also, I dare you to find room for any new fighters on that roster.

Really, 30 is the trendy number to throw around, but I think even that's a little too low. That's only a little bigger than Melee was. Barring massive, sweeping changes to every fighter (which is probably not going to happen, because honestly most characters can keep most of what they have), I think we might see, like, 48 or 50 or something.

I would like to see some new universal mechanics, though. Stick supers on Y or something, and have four of 'em like special moves. I mean, they're giving everyone resource management and upgraded specials and super modes these days anyways. Make it official.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom