• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Since Kaz is fighter number 81, that'd mean there'd be 19 more numbered fighters needed to reach 100. In that case, what 19 characters would people pick? My picks are:

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
3) Morrigan Aensland (with Lilith as an echo)
4) Scorpion (with Sub-Zero as an echo)
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
19) Waluigi as the "finale" character (since it'd be "after all this time, Waluigi FINALLY gets into the roster")
Here's the 19 I'd probably go with, respective to order

1) Ahri
2) Dr. Eggman
3) Phoenix Wright
4) Lloyd Irving
5) Crash Bandicoot
5e) Coco Bandicoot
6) Spyro
7) Gill Grunt
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Leon S. Kennedy
10) Doom Slayer
11) Rayman
11e) Globlox
12) Carl "CJ" Johnson
12e) Franklin Clinton
13) Ratchet & Clank
14) Sol Badguy
15) Excitbiker
16) Kratos
17) Sora
18) Waluigi
19) Master Chief

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
IMO, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter honestly feel like the final two massive Japanese franchises that need to be included in Smash. Everything else seems like a nice bonus.
I believe the FP2 content was finalized around the time Terry was officially revealed.
If so, I wouldn't be surprised if that RE spirit event we got in November of 2019 was a red herring.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I believe the FP2 content was finalized around the time Terry was officially revealed.
If so, I wouldn't be surprised if that RE spirit event we got in November of 2019 was a red herring.
I totally agree that this a real possibility and I would love for this to be the case. That being said, I feel like Resident Evil would have been our E3 reveal if it was in the Fighter's Pass, unfortunately.

Ah well, the good news is Resident Evil in Smash feels like more of a when than if at this point.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean if we neglect a playable rep,
RE and Monster Hunter are already covered.

Tales will be covered too; assuming the Lloyd costume returns.
As might be Dark Souls, SMT, and Yokai-Watch (It's big af in Japan).

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
The dream FP discussion has inspired me to come up with a Fighters Pass that introduces 1 character for each company (well, parent company (like Microsoft or Sega), not companies owned by other companies (like Rare or Atlus)) already repped in the roster. Here goes:

Nintendo: Waluigi
Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Dr. Eggman
Capcom: Morrigan Aensland
Bandai-Namco: Agumon
Square Enix: Squall Leonhart
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Marco Rossi

Anybody got any other ideas?
Representative pass? Okay, sure. I tried not to go full weeb but didn't quite pull it off. Really happy with the outcome:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm honestly half-expecting Lloyd to just not show up at all in Kazuya's presentation. The assumption's that A: Everything else has come back, and B: Kazuya is Namco... But on the other hand, we thought Tekken was dead because why would they release Heihachi separately from the big Tekken pack? I've just been trained to expect the unexpected, so Lloyd finally being added after a second Namco fighter as one last curveball doesn't seem 100% impossible.

Also it would be really funny to see the chaos that would ensue if Lloyd's still alive

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm honestly half-expecting Lloyd to just not show up at all in Kazuya's presentation. The assumption's that A: Everything else has come back, and B: Kazuya is Namco... But on the other hand, we thought Tekken was dead because why would they release Heihachi separately from the big Tekken pack? I've just been trained to expect the unexpected, so Lloyd finally being added after a second Namco fighter as one last curveball doesn't seem 100% impossible.

Also it would be really funny to see the chaos that would ensue if Lloyd's still alive
Inb4 CP11 is Lloyd himself

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not entirely sure Thirst Theory has much of a leg to stand on when Steve is a thing lol.
Bruh did you not see how obsessed people were with Steve's meat?

Then Sakurai reveals the final newcomer. His name is Lloyd, he's from a long running JRPG franchise that starts with T and he's a dual wielder
download (5).jpeg

No I will not get tired of this joke

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Inb4 CP11 is Lloyd himself
Namco loves filling their games with references to their other games, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It's more surprising that it took this long for them to finally get a second fighter when you see the Pac-Man/Katamari/Taiko etc. customization items in Tekken, the Valkyrie costume for Cassandra in SC2, the cars in Ridge Racer being covered with the names of other Namco games and racing in tracks like "Phantomile"...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Then Sakurai reveals the final newcomer. His name is Lloyd, he's from a long running JRPG franchise that starts with T and he's a dual wielder
View attachment 320177
Ah yes
1624296504806.png

Popular McJRPG Guy Lloyd from the TNinjago franchise

The "T" is silent. It's also invisible.

EDIT: Aaaaaand that joke is taken already.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm not entirely sure Thirst Theory has much of a leg to stand on when Steve is a thing lol.
I dunno about you, but I get very thirsty after eating a lot of steak (or any red meat really), what with all the salt and seasonings and stuff. That's why I always keep a big glass of my favorite beverage nearby whenever I eat a big steak, to help control that sodium intake.

Minecraft Steve's meat has been patched out of 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate'  | Clocked

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
IMO, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter honestly feel like the final two massive Japanese franchises that need to be included in Smash. Everything else seems like a nice bonus.
Yep. And if the Monster Hunter devs really did shoot down a human avatar playable character because the monsters are the stars, that's out. Of Japanese only franchises the biggest omissions:

• Resident Evil
  • Kingdom Hearts (although Disney makes Sora unlikely)
  • Ninja Gaiden (Ryu would rep both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive)
  • Tales (will probably be Namco's rep next Smash)

There are others like Bomberman for Konami, Devil May Cry if RE isn't an option, etc....but a lot of the biggest Japanese franchises this is what's left.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

View attachment 320177
I'm more of a Lloyd guy myself

What kind of fool do you take me for? He’s Lloyd, he’s Lloyd, you’re Lloyd, I’M LLOYD! ARE THERE ANY OTHER LLOYDS I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT?!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since Kaz is fighter number 81, that'd mean there'd be 19 more numbered fighters needed to reach 100. In that case, what 19 characters would people pick? My picks are:

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
19) Waluigi as the "finale" character (since it'd be "after all this time, Waluigi FINALLY gets into the roster")
I'm assuming that assist trophies and characters who are already Mii costumes are okay.

1. Dante
2. Vergil (revealed alongside Dante as a bonus to finish off Fighters Pass 2)
3. Isaac (Golden Sun)
4. Geno
5. Crash Bandicoot (with Coco Bandicoot as a Crash echo fighter)
6. Dr. Eggman (with Tails as a Sonic echo fighter, though more on the Ken or Chrom side where there are some significant differences)
7. Doomguy
8. Ryu Hayabusa
9. Rayman
10. Sol Badguy
11. Impa (Age of Calamity)
12. Bandanna Waddle Dee
13. Dixie Kong
14. Shovel Knight
15. Shantae
16. Elma
17. 2B
18. Porky
19. Sans

If I can randomly throw some more echo fighters in there, I'd add Octoling from Splatoon and Jeanne from Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I don't think porting Smash Ultimate over to the next console is as simple as say Mario Kart 8 or DK Tropical Freeze was. I'm no businessman, but I'm pretty sure every company involved in Smash will have to give Nintendo the thumbs up before their content returns in a Deluxe version. That's a lot of companies, and I can't help but recall Sakurai saying it might not be possible to have a crossover as big as the one in Ultimate again.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here. I see the idea of a Smash Ultimate Deluxe being talked about a lot. I think it could be possible that every company involved would be on board, but it's discussed almost as if it's an easy transition likely to happen.
I think most of us don’t see it as a big issue because it’d just be repeat of what they’ve already done. Its not like these companies are doing anything new, they’re just agreeing to the exact same thing they did last time y’know?
I'm more of a Lloyd guy myself

View attachment 320177
If your Lloyd, and your Lloyd, and YOUR Lloyd! Then who’s flying the plane?!

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace

Finally, a reasonable way to list all the characters I want; in no particular order.

1. KOS-MOS
  2. Fei Fong Wong
  3. Elma
  4. Team Lora
  5. Father Balder
  6. Rodin
  7. Agumon / 7.ε Gabumon
  8. Greymon / 8.ε Tyrannomon / 8.ε Growlmon
  9. Garurumon / 9.ε Kyubimon / 9.ε Sangloupmon
  10. Mametchi
  11. Tails
  12. Eggman
  13. Morrigan (Dragon Age)
  14. Morrigan-Spider (Dragon Age)
  15. Kamek
  16. Vaati
  17. Ganon -------------------------- Last two are for other people
  18. Bomberman
  19. Jibanyan

Some notes:

I wanted to put Jeanne, but she might actually be the one character where it feels wrong for her to not be an echo of an existing character, and thus she'd not count.

I also wanted to put Melia because of her extra story in Definitive Edition BUT that seemed like too many Xeno characters, and Torna is much more its own game.

Agumon, as a transforming character with such distinct forms, likely wouldn't be counted as just one. I'm still thinking "Monado Arts style Champions" which would be like echoes of each other. Gabumon would be the same as Agumon, except with a different set of transformations.

Morrigan using the most basic of the transformation spells, the powers of her distinct sub-class, just makes sense to me.

Wanted to add Eevee (my mother's dog is named after them) and Shadow (my dog who passed on late last year was named after them), but it didn't seem right to promote them - so instead I gave them away to characters I know some people really wanted.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Lord

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
From these characters I choose:

Scorpion, Doomslayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, Sol Badguy, Rayman, Agumon, Crash Bandicoot and Waluigi

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think most of us don’t see it as a big issue because it’d just be repeat of what they’ve already done. Its not like these companies are doing anything new, they’re just agreeing to the exact same thing they did last time y’know?
Sakurai himself said it was already difficult to get everyone back with Ultimate and warned that it probably won't be repeated, and there's more third party companies working with Smash now then it was with the base game so whatever issues he had could be multiplied even further. Plus we're looking at things from a present perspective and not thinking about how company relationships may change with the future, if someone pulls another Konami for instance there's nothing Sakurai or Nintendo can do to retain that character.

No matter how they approach the next game it's not going to be easy. They're juggling the requests of multiple companies, paying an increasing amount of royalties, on top of making the game and characters. That's a lot to demand of the team and Sakurai we have to understand that they will be dealing with a number of roadblocks for the next game.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Better than Type 4 IMO, just because you don't have to go through the same tedious process of unlocking all 400 of its cars, most of which are the exact same models just with different team liveries.
That's what I love about 64
Each car has a unique chassis and model shape, I enjoyed the music and tracks, ESPECAILLY Ridge Racer Roots
Loved the challenge of trying to get the extra cars (to this day, I got them all except 00-Agent)

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
All this 19 talk makes me really wanna make a Dark Tower Joke but I’m almost positive nobody here will get it lmao.
I mean if we neglect a playable rep,
RE and Monster Hunter are already covered.

Tales will be covered too; assuming the Lloyd costume returns.
As might be Dark Souls, SMT, and Yokai-Watch (It's big af in Japan).
Technically, we can count SMT as represented by Persona.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's a reason why DLC usually has more third-parties than the base roster. These characters aren't given to Sakurai for free. It costs money for each third-party, and it's way easier to tackle the cost for these characters when each one is sold individually. While not confirmed, it also seems like the six third-parties from Smash 4 signed a contract that applied to Ultimate as well, making it easier to carry them over.

It's going to be EXTREMELY expensive to carry over 17 or more third-parties to the next Smash game's base roster. New contracts, all of the costs being dumped on the desk at once — it'll be a challenge. I don't know how many we'll say goodbye to, but I wouldn't walk in expecting perfect attendance.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Until we know otherwise I'm just assuming the next Smash Bros game, by the time we get all the DLC, will have the same number of fighters as Smash 64.

Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Fox will probably be replaced to spread the representation better across as many of the ON-GOING first-party franchises as possible.

Obvious replacements include Inkling, Marth, and Villager OR Isabelle. I highly doubt there will be enough room for my beloved Xenoblade, but I can hope.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
82. Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
83. Cinderace (Pokemon)
84. Master Chief (Halo)
85. Dr. Eggman (Sonic The Hedgehog)
86. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
87. Isaac (Golden Sun)
88. Farmer (Story of Seasons)
89. Jill (Resident Evil)
90. Andy (Advance Wars)
91. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
92. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles)
93. Arle (Puyo Puyo)
94. Ring Fit Trainees (Ring Fit Adventure)
95. Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
96. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
97. Frogger (Frogger)
98. Waluigi (Super Mario)
99. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
100 Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven) - saving my fav for last lol.

A good mix of wants and characters i'd consider essential. Tied up a lot of loose ends to make the roster as objectively satisfying as possible.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
There's a reason why DLC usually has more third-parties than the base roster. These characters aren't given to Sakurai for free. It costs money for each third-party, and it's way easier to tackle the cost for these characters when each one is sold individually. While not confirmed, it also seems like the six third-parties from Smash 4 signed a contract that applied to Ultimate as well, making it easier to carry them over.

It's going to be EXTREMELY expensive to carry over 17 or more third-parties to the next Smash game's base roster. New contracts, all of the costs being dumped on the desk at once — it'll be a challenge. I don't know how many we'll say goodbye to, but I wouldn't walk in expecting perfect attendance.
You have a point there. Honestly, the only third parties I can see coming back to the next Smash game (if it happens that is) are Sonic, - obviously - Mega Man, PAC-Man, and Cloud.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I just had a thought. Do you think Kazuya lessens the chances of getting another demonic character like Diablo, Illidan, Demi-Fiend or Dante? I’m not sure if they would go with two characters with similar vibes like that back to back. I’d love Illidan and Diablo but Illidan especially resembles Kazuya’s devil form. Not that Illidan or Diablo were especially likely to begin with.
I don’t think Dante will have that problem. He had so many tricks up his sleeve that even if he had Devil Trigger, he’d be nothing like Kazuya. Big swords, dual wield little swords, pistols, shotguns, rockets, nunchucks, gauntlets, a freakin’ motorcycle, Dante has it all.

I’m not as familiar with the other three but as long as they’re not brawlers they could be fine too.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Honestly, the only third parties I can see coming back to the next Smash game (if it happens that is) are Sonic, - obviously - Mega Man, PAC-Man, and Cloud.

Cloud seems like wishful thinking.

They could probably negotiate on-bulk with the different publishers. Bayonetta or Sonic would probably bring the other back with them. Pac-Man and Kazuya are a lot more likely if Bandai Namco are brought back to help with Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Until we know otherwise I'm just assuming the next Smash Bros game, by the time we get all the DLC, will have the same number of fighters as Smash 64.

Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Fox will probably be replaced to spread the representation better across as many of the ON-GOING first-party franchises as possible.

Obvious replacements include Inkling, Marth, and Villager OR Isabelle. I highly doubt there will be enough room for my beloved Xenoblade, but I can hope.
Me looking at a 12 character roster after Ultimate.

A bit on the tiny side there, probably not going to buy.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

1) Krystal
2) Chun-Li
5) Dr. Eggman
6) Tingle
7) Doomslayer
8) Ryu Hayabusa
9) Kasumi
10) Master Chief
11) Sora
12) Sol Badguy
13) Rayman
14) Yuri Lowell
15) Agumon
16) Crash Bandicoot
17) Coco Bandicoot
18) Freddy Fazbear
Most of FP2 was practically on my list last time I did this so hopefully I can call the next fighter this time.
1. Ryu Hayabusa, preferably end this pass with him.
2. Thanatos (Kid Icarus)
3. Hollow Knight
4. Crash
5. + Spyro
6. = Toxtricity
7. Doomguy
8. Bandana Dee
9. Karate Joe
10. Master Chief
11. Chun Li
12. Leon Kennedy/Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine/Claire Redfield
13. Phoenix Wright
14. Skull Kid
15. Shovel Knight
16. Arle Nadja
17. Sub Zero
18. Sol Badguy
19. Most importantly, Kamek

RIP Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, Kasumi, Gordon, Fiora, and Travis

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Technically, we can count SMT as represented by Persona.
I can never really get behind that because they don't even have the bare minimum in SMT representation - its mascot, Jack Frost. Not a costume, not a spirit, and no SMT music or any allusion to the series whatsoever.

Like, yeah Persona is a spinoff from SMT, but it has evolved into something largely different and Smash really pays no mind to its roots at all. For those reasons I find it disingenuous to consider SMT represented in any capacity other than "honorary".

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man came back, I don't see why Bayonetta (who is an adopted Nintendo character now), Joker, the Shotos and Kazuya wouldn't come back either.

Unless we're operating under super doom and gloom mode where we're expecting the next Smash to have at absolute most only 20 characters or something.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man came back, I don't see why Bayonetta (who is an adopted Nintendo character now), Joker, the Shotos and Kazuya wouldn't come back either.

Unless we're operating under super doom and gloom mode where we're expecting the next Smash to have at absolute most only 20 characters or something.
...because it costs more money to license more characters? It's not like they give Sega or whoever a fixed amount of money and get all the characters they want from them.

There are also other factors like limited development resources, plus the potential to "replace" them with other characters from the same owners. Just because you can get a company back in the table doesn't automatically mean you can get everything from them.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Like, yeah Persona is a spinoff from SMT, but it has evolved into something largely different and Smash really pays no mind to its roots at all.
To put this in a frame I understand:

Would it be like making Aiba (from Digimon's pure RPG series, not the V-Pet RPG hybrid one) and then calling him a Tamagotchi rep.

Me looking at a 12 character roster after Ultimate.

A bit on the tiny side there, probably not going to buy.
But which Nintendo series would you keep? That is the real question.

...because it costs more money to license more characters? It's not like they give Sega or whoever a fixed amount of money and get all the characters they want from them.

There are also other factors like limited development resources, plus the potential to "replace" them with other characters from the same owners. Just because you can get a company back in the table doesn't automatically mean you can get everything from them.
Bayonetta would probably be one of the cheapest characters with the most gain from Nintendo's perspective. She and Sonic are basically the only ones I'd consider certainties...

Losing Sonic is too big a loss for Smash Bros public image; and Nintendo own too much of Bayonetta's content now to not include her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom