• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
The only Smash prediction I'm confident in is that one of the remaining 2 fighters will have a red background. The only real basis for this is Pyra's (solo) background color is red, but they still went with Mythra's green for the promotional material even though she's the secondary fighter. Tbf green fits them as a duo much better but even still red is a really common color lol.
Isn't that more or less what @epicmartin7's been predicting? That the next fighter will have a pink/red background color?
Pink/Red background? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Red or Pink.png

Red or Pink? Shadow or Amy? I Am.. All of Me or Follow Me? Either way, it's a hedgehog. That's where my headspace is at right now. Take your pick!

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The only Smash prediction I'm confident in is that one of the remaining 2 fighters will have a red background. The only real basis for this is Pyra's (solo) background color is red, but they still went with Mythra's green for the promotional material even though she's the secondary fighter. Tbf green fits them as a duo much better but even still red is a really common color lol.
This is how my Dante + Demifiend double reveal theory wins.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It may be too early to say this given what could be revealed at E3, but Ultimate always felt like an ideal game to get another Mega Man character, and its a pity there's a decent chance we won't get one. Bass, X, Zero all would have been cool, and as someone who's rediscovered the X series via the Legacy collection, there still feels like so much untapped potential for movesets there.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It may be too early to say this given what could be revealed at E3, but Ultimate always felt like an ideal game to get another Mega Man character, and its a pity there's a decent chance we won't get one. Bass, X, Zero all would have been cool, and as someone who's rediscovered the X series via the Legacy collection, there still feels like so much untapped potential for movesets there.
There's a ton of Mega Man characters that could work in Smash. You could give X all his special weapons from the Mega Man X series and let him have chargeable variants of all of them, which paired with his faster run speed and some sort of dash option could make him a much more aggressive take on Mega Man. Proto Man and Bass could work as Luigi-style semi-clones of Mega Man mainly taking from their playable appearances in Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. Hell, if you just want an echo Roll would work.

Ornl

Smash Ace
You know. How would a Space Invader work for Smash?
Possible SI abilities
• Evolving speed
: The Fighter speed would evolve with the timer.
Invasive aliens: The Fighter would be more or less powerful and resistant depending on his ability to minions spawning, and the enemies may be faced with their flood and harassment.
Multiple Fighter: The fighter would have multiple bodies with separate hitboxes.

Possible special attacks
Neutral B
: Laser Beam, with or whithout multiple shots or directions.
• Side B: Rush (round trip), by the Fighter or one of the minions.
• Up B: UFO.
• Down B: Spawn of an alien / Switch tactical formation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With Ultimate coming to an end of its run. What characters do you guys felt we're screwed over but overall should have been in the game?
The Resident Evil crew. Probably the most significant third party series absent from the roster - incredibly popular and a cornerstone of its genre, surprisingly rich Nintendo history, one of Capcom's absolute biggest IPs (and tbh it baffles me how we didn't get a single new Capcom series).

I mean, I kinda get why they aren't here, the series may not have been able to be properly represented without heavy censorship and omission of key elements. But looking in a vacuum and ignoring the potential obstacle there, I feel like it's genuinely the most glaring omission among the third parties. I think Jill and/or Leon would have really fit perfectly into Ultimate's lineup.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
But really.

Assuming, and I mean BIG assuming here, that:

A: The color theory of Martin's is correct

B: The Pink is meant to be red

C: E3 is a double reveal

Red and Green.... Dante and Demi-Fiend

I'm going to have to book a trip to the ER, because I think I'm going to die laughing. It'd be cool as hell, but such a "WHY THO?" end. I'm not saying I'd hate it, in fact, it's the complete opposite, I'd adore it.

But also it'd feel like the Ultimate, pun 100% intended, meme end, just to say that Smash Ultimate now features Dante from the Devil May Cry series, and Demi-Fiend, from the game that brought us the Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Wonder if any third party company getting a 4th rep would trigger anyone cuz the "Rule of 3" concept is broken and they find that to be unfair.

Smash fans moment

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
With Ultimate coming to an end of its run. What characters do you guys felt we're screwed over but overall should have been in the game?

I know the most obvious ones that comes to mind are Shadow, Isaac, Waluigi, Ashley, Skull Kid, and Bomberman, but who else do you feel got axed?
Definitely feel for the Isaac fans. I think near the end of Base Game it seemed like a lot was lining up for him getting in. Even disregarding the Grinch Leak there was still that healing plant item that looked like a Golden Sun thing + The trademarks and whatnot which just went nowhere.

And as for self-indulgent I feel Geno also got screwed, We got Banjo, K. Rool and Ridley but no Geno which kinda... saddens me even now because he's also incredibly popular but in-hindsight it was always a longshot. Geno and Isaac would've been kino.

Maybe BDee got screwed over a lil' bit but he'll always be relevant and always have a chance to get in future installments unlike Ult where it was on some level going out of their way to include fan favorites so RIP Geno and Isaac. What could've been...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
There's a ton of Mega Man characters that could work in Smash. You could give X all his special weapons from the Mega Man X series and let him have chargeable variants of all of them, which paired with his faster run speed and some sort of dash option could make him a much more aggressive take on Mega Man. Proto Man and Bass could work as Luigi-style semi-clones of Mega Man mainly taking from their playable appearances in Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. Hell, if you just want an echo Roll would work.
I wonder, is it an unpopular opinion to want X over Zero for some extra Mega Man representation? X definitely has enough unique abilities from his series to have zero overlap with Mega Man except for maybe just the Mega Buster normal attacks. Roll as an echo fighter also sounds pretty fun because Roll just deserves more importance in the franchise...

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ahri fits Pink, too.

Though if we're getting a LoL rep, only way I can think of them NOT doing an ARMS-style "This fighter's from___" thing is if they show off the Summoner's Rift or something, maybe even some Smash characters in Lol's art style.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Wonder if any third party company getting a 4th rep would trigger anyone cuz the "Rule of 3" concept is broken and they find that to be unfair.

Smash fans moment
I'd personally like that to happen, since that'd restore hope for me that I could get some of the characters I want.

SKX31

Smash Master
But really.

I'm going to have to book a trip to the ER, because I think I'm going to die laughing. It'd be cool as hell, but such a "WHY THO?" end. I'm not saying I'd hate it, in fact, it's the complete opposite, I'd adore it.

But also it'd feel like the Ultimate, pun 100% intended, meme end, just to say that Smash Ultimate now features Dante from the Devil May Cry series, and Demi-Fiend, from the game that brought us the Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme.
Plot twist: The Green actually refers to Knuckles due to the Master Emerald.

Thus we get Smash Bros Ultimate & Knuckles Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series. :4pacman:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
But really.

I feel like that would be the ultimate meme end, and my ideal end for the DLC, so I 100% support this theory. That would also probably mean we'd get Dante's theme from Nocturne, so that's nice.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ahri fits Pink, too.

Though if we're getting a LoL rep, only way I can think of them NOT doing an ARMS-style "This fighter's from___" thing is if they show off the Summoner's Rift or something, maybe even some Smash characters in Lol's art style.
There's two ways I could see a LoL rep's trailer beginning: either with Summoner's Rift or some kind of "teamfight", kinda like the start of Steve's trailer.

Additionally, if Unite makes an appearance, they could have a fake-out with the Pokémon duking it out at first.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

I know the most obvious ones that comes to mind are Shadow, Isaac, Waluigi, Ashley, Skull Kid, and Bomberman, but who else do you feel got axed?
Let's see:
  • Bandana Dee (How is there not even more modern representation)
  • Dixie Kong (she was originally gonna be with Diddy)
  • New Zelda rep that's not a clone of Link
Also, what's this debate about Plaformer and JRPG I'm seeing here, just wondering?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

BOMBER

****ING

MAN

I mean i wish Isaac and Waluigi were in the game, but Bomberman basically was meant for Smash's multiplayer madness, plus the way Sakurai translated his bomb usage was great, had he not been in hiatus during the Wii U/3DS era, and would have been a great follow up to Mega Man. If he wasn't an AT in the base game he would easily have been a DLC frontrunner. The only Third Party that i can safely say should have been in the roster and feels like a glaring omission, something i can't say for anyone else, not even Crash. I had to be reminded of him again.

The other one is Takmaru/Balloon Fighter. It's really sad we didn't get a Retro revival character, and i feel there was a strong argument for Balloon Fighter for Smash. Im still upset BF is relegated to a recovery move.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Bomberman is like the one assist trophy character that does kinda make me go "what happened?".

Could they not figure out a moveset for him? Some people say it was because Castlevania took priority, but in that case, why not just save Bomberman for DLC instead of seemingly sealing his fate with an assist trophy?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Blastoise is my brother’s favorite Pokémon and one of his top two most wanted Smash characters along with Battletoads. It’s kind of a shame seeing that it was considered at one point but Sakurai ended up going with Squirtle instead. I really doubt a stand-alone Blastoise has much of a chance at this point but I’d love for it to happen for his sake.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Geno, Bomberman, Isaac, Skull Kid, Sukapon was the most painful reveal for me basically all of them are on my top 10 most wanted.

I don't generally feel like anything should have happened differently, but I do think Toad ought to be in there as more than a support for Peach and Daisy. The only real excuse for him not being there among 9 Mario characters is moveset inspiration. Otherwise I'd think he'd be chosen somewhere around number 6.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to remember;

DLC wasn't a thing till 2017, specifically by Nintendo, not Sakurai. That means an AT that was a character considered for base game couldn't have been "saved for DLC", since there was no way to know it was happening. He did not plan for DLC at the start.

Bomberman not being in just means he wasn't high enough priority over Castlevania. That's pretty much it. With Snake returning too, that's a third franchise that needs a lot of content. Sakurai also felt he needed two Belmonts to properly represent the franchise. Bomberman was very likely considered for playable, but asthat wasn't an option, he was hit with the AT status, something that happens here and there. I remember Sakurai noting that AT's can be for characters who couldn't make it into playable status.

Moveset could've played an issue too. Whether he couldn't see him dancing in his mind, or just that balancing it was very difficult. Though I honestly am of the opinion that Castlevania out-prioritized it(along with Metal Gear) and since DLC was not an option at the time, well... AT it is.

His Spirit was also treated as an important one in World of Light, so clearly he thought Bomberman was something special outside of being playable too.

Sadly he has yet to speak on a lot of characters who were probably considered. He hasn't spoken on Waluigi since literally Smash 4's base game, and that was more of a fun joke than actually speaking of it. He doesn't talk about that many characters he considers as is, and he probably can't anymore due to DLC being chosen by Nintendo. Any character he says can be taken the wrong way now, so he has to keep his lips sealed for business reasons. Once Ultimate is over, he's got more freedom. That, and some characters not working out could be due to companies clashing with each other, so he has to bite his lip on stuff to prevent any bad blood. As a business man, his words have clout, but moreso, he can't suddenly create chaos among companies just cause he wants to be honest about why someone didn't work out. Look at how little he spoke on Geno's problems during Brawl. Just "it didn't work out". If he said anything clear, that could be problematic. If SE, say, charged too much, that could make people not want to buy their DLC. Not something I believe would happen, but that's the kind of risk he takes when opening his mouth.

Bomberman not getting any music (especially from Bomberman Hero) makes me sad
That sucks the Premium costume he got had no music, yeah.

I wouldn't have minded base game music too, despite him not being playable.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Pink also fits Ms. Pac-man and yes she can have unique moveset different from Pac-man who relies on 8-bit game collection only.
You know who else is Pink? Cooking Mama and we don’t have cooking game rep yet
Game and Watch “Chef” says “Hi.” :4pacman:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Something to remember;

DLC wasn't a thing till 2017, specifically by Nintendo, not Sakurai. That means an AT that was a character considered for base game couldn't have been "saved for DLC", since there was no way to know it was happening. He did not plan for DLC at the start.

Bomberman not being in just means he wasn't high enough priority over Castlevania. That's pretty much it. With Snake returning too, that's a third franchise that needs a lot of content. Sakurai also felt he needed two Belmonts to properly represent the franchise. Bomberman was very likely considered for playable, but asthat wasn't an option, he was hit with the AT status, something that happens here and there. I remember Sakurai noting that AT's can be for characters who couldn't make it into playable status.

Moveset could've played an issue too. Whether he couldn't see him dancing in his mind, or just that balancing it was very difficult. Though I honestly am of the opinion that Castlevania out-prioritized it(along with Metal Gear) and since DLC was not an option at the time, well... AT it is.

His Spirit was also treated as an important one in World of Light, so clearly he thought Bomberman was something special outside of being playable too.

Sadly he has yet to speak on a lot of characters who were probably considered. He hasn't spoken on Waluigi since literally Smash 4's base game, and that was more of a fun joke than actually speaking of it. He doesn't talk about that many characters he considers as is, and he probably can't anymore due to DLC being chosen by Nintendo. Any character he says can be taken the wrong way now, so he has to keep his lips sealed for business reasons. Once Ultimate is over, he's got more freedom. That, and some characters not working out could be due to companies clashing with each other, so he has to bite his lip on stuff to prevent any bad blood. As a business man, his words have clout, but moreso, he can't suddenly create chaos among companies just cause he wants to be honest about why someone didn't work out. Look at how little he spoke on Geno's problems during Brawl. Just "it didn't work out". If he said anything clear, that could be problematic. If SE, say, charged too much, that could make people not want to buy their DLC. Not something I believe would happen, but that's the kind of risk he takes when opening his mouth.

That sucks the Premium costume he got had no music, yeah.
Justice for Bomberman!

It's a little frustrating that, now that he also got a Mii costume, it seems less likely that he would get in later on, on the very small off chance that we end up getting more DLC. But then again maybe that wouldn't matter, if that was just a product of them truly not planning for more at the time. I dunno. We'll see soon enough I suppose.
I wouldn't have minded base game music too, despite him not being playable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom