• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Yeah, I, and I'm assuming most people, come to this forum for light-hearted discussions about smash. Please don't argue here, it just brings the mood down for everyone. This page has always been good because no matter who you want, or what your opinions are on smash, people won't get annoyed with you, and will at worst discuss stuff with you, and argue their side calmly. That's been my experience with it at least.

So, back to speculation. If they did another reveal like Isabelle's, where they reveal a character alongside a new game in the same trailer, what character do you think it would be, and why?
Dixie Kong and a new DK game!!

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
One thing to take into account is that third party E3 direct reveals (Megaman, Ryu, Hero and Banjo-Kazooie) were from IPs that has o had in the past very strong ties with Nintendo consoles. Megaman, Dragon Quest and Banjo were born on a Nintendo console and while Street Fighter started at arcades, its second game was ported very quick to SNES (and it was the first home console conversion, a killer app game).

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Would he swear in smash? I guess that would explain where Sonic's personality went after Brawl.
OH BUT OF COURSE HAHAHA

He'd be like a more sweary mashup of Joker and Sonic. LIKE Sonic obviously, but he's got Joker's gun move and knives and his story mode (yeah he comes with one why not) eventually results in the revelation that he was born out of some desire to cure an offshoot of AIDS called NIDS.

But... would he turn into Super Shadow or would he glow red and go "NNNNNNNNNNNN DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE ME! CHAOS... BLAST!" and then light everyone on fire? I like the latter better, as cool as an HD Super Shadow in Smash graphics would be. I.... THINK 2006 was the only time we saw Super Shadow in HD/post Gamecube? Unless there's some mobile game that had him... I don't THINK we had Super Shadow in THAT long so seeing him turn Super in Smash would actually be a treat.

Have him turn Super Shadow and go "You're going STRAIGHT TO HELL!" and then go about obliterating everything that's not his friend

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
One thing to take into account is that third party E3 direct reveals (Megaman, Ryu, Hero and Banjo-Kazooie) were from IPs that has o had in the past very strong ties with Nintendo consoles. Megaman, Dragon Quest and Banjo were born on a Nintendo console and while Street Fighter started at arcades, its second game was ported very quick to SNES (and it was the first home console conversion, a killer app game).
This is how Phoenix wins

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ninja Gaiden Master Collection comes out in 4 days. I don’t think he’s getting into Smash but it’d be cool if this was a success so that he could possibly get in in the future. And I really want a Ninja Gaiden 4. So yeah go buy this.

The boxart is cool as **** too

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
That reminds me of this offical picture from the PQ2 artbook
Haha yeah

That Shadow image is an official promo concept art that eventually became part of Shadow the Hedgehog's over the top opening, both in the beta version and the censored final version of the game with less blood and some shots cut and such, the closing bit of the CGI opening is Shadow standing over a falling Sonic with a gun before flying into the screen, transitioning to the title card.

I'm... KIND OF a Shadow the Hedgehog fanboy (actually a full on worshipper of Sonic) so... I'm kind of prone to keeping these kinds of things around and following Sonic to a fault hahaha
Concept Shadow.png

Actually don't even think the Shadow the Hedgehog game is really that bad apart from having to replay it so many times to reach the true ending. I kinda like how it leans into its edginess, straight up Powerman 5000, Rob Zombie's brother, shows up for a song man haha I love this

D

Deleted member

Nintendo's E3 is relatively soon, which should guarantee at least 1 Smash Reveal.

Though if we actually do get 2 reveals, 1 thing I will be glad about is how I can finally rest easy not having to see posts of choose x for Smash listing the same set of characters over and over again. Of all the things that comes from speculation, I absolutely dread those the most because you always see the same set of characters cycled through different accounts as if they're the only choices that matter, especially on twitter. It's made me a lot less interested in seeing a good portion of characters in Smash because you're basically getting the same picks and the same set of reactions everyone has for them which pretty much takes away my interests in seeing a character getting added and how people would react to that addition since I already got an idea as to how they would. That's pretty much why I want the last 2 characters to have a certain amount of unexpectedness to their reveal. I already have an idea as to how people would react to Crash, but I don't have any clue as to how people would react to someone like Raz from Psychonauts even if most of the reactions would be positive.

Also I've been playing Psychonauts recently and have been enjoying the game outside of having to grind to get past a certain part of the story. It's probably too late to make a thread for him, but I'd find Raz to be a pretty cool addition to Smash if that somehow happened.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Also I've been playing Psychonauts recently and have been enjoying the game outside of having to grind to get past a certain part of the story. It's probably too late to make a thread for him, but I'd find Raz to be a pretty cool addition to Smash if that somehow happened.
People are still making new support threads to this day, if you really want to, just go for it.

Edit: never mind he already has one.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo's E3 is relatively soon, which should guarantee at least 1 Smash Reveal.

Though if we actually do get 2 reveals, 1 thing I will be glad about is how I can finally rest easy not having to see posts of choose x for Smash listing the same set of characters over and over again. Of all the things that comes from speculation, I absolutely dread those the most because you always see the same set of characters cycled through different accounts as if they're the only choices that matter, especially on twitter. It's made me a lot less interested in seeing a good portion of characters in Smash because you're basically getting the same picks and the same set of reactions everyone has for them which pretty much takes away my interests in seeing a character getting added and how people would react to that addition since I already got an idea as to how they would. That's pretty much why I want the last 2 characters to have a certain amount of unexpectedness to their reveal. I already have an idea as to how people would react to Crash, but I don't have any clue as to how people would react to someone like Raz from Psychonauts even if most of the reactions would be positive.

BEHOLD!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The thing to remember that regardless of whther or not a huge third-party ends up being revealed or not at E3, it won’t really matter that much from a business perspective. Nintendo already has made a lot of money off the pass even when :ultminmin was the only character revealed, never mind how much more it would have made with :ultsteve::ultsephiroth:. That is not an argument against the possibility of someone like Crash being reveal as much as an argument against the idea that a character like him is a frontrunner. Objectively speaking, no actual good argument indicates he is less or more likely than someone like Sol Badguy to be revealed there, since either way, even revealing someone barely anyone remembers on the same level as, say, Doshin the Giant wouldn’t be remotely bad from a business perspective. Nintendo already made so much either way.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Which series would you revive?

Only one? If I had more than one I'd easily pick Sin n Punishment, StarFox (albeit in a wild new flavor that abandons the old school style), and Punch-Out

But ONLY one. Punch-Out, add a "Nintendo Circuit" aka like the Donkey Kong opponent but a whole circuit, add a whole other championship for women's boxing (different gameplay style like the girl plays like SNES Super Punchout with the meter and such while Little Mac still plays with stars like in the Wii game if that's how you have to justify it) and have Daisy be one of the opponents. I have.... very specific tastes.
Daisy Olympic.jpg

Technomage

Smash Champion
The thing to remember that regardless of whther or not a huge third-party ends up being revealed or not at E3, it won’t really matter that much from a business perspective. Nintendo already has made a lot of money off the pass even when :ultminmin was the only character revealed, never mind how much more it would have made with :ultsteve::ultsephiroth:. That is not an argument against the possibility of someone like Crash being reveal as much as an argument against the idea that a character like him is a frontrunner. Objectively speaking, no actual good argument indicates he is less or more likely than someone like Sol Badguy to be revealed there, since either way, even revealing someone barely anyone remembers on the same level as, say, Doshin the Giant wouldn’t be remotely bad from a business perspective. Nintendo is already made so much either way.
Hmmmm, good point, though wouldn't bringing in a character with more hype (like a huge 3rd-party) make Nintendo even more money?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd love it if Shadow were in. I'd love it even more if Super Shadow wasn't the Final Smash. I like the super forms, but they do get overused easily. Even worse in Super Smash Flash, yeish.

I think Dark Shadow would work even better as a Final Smash, since it emphasizes that Shadow is a much rougher guy and is willing to do what it takes to save the world. He's always been more violent than Sonic(even outside of his own game) and this shows how unique they are. Even if he were a Sonic echo, he could still have a different Final Smash. ...Though let's be real, they'd reuse the Super Mode anyway if he was an Echo. That's just plain easier to do. Though they could also use his Hero Shadow aura instead, since the current Super Sonic Final Smash is very similar to that version of Chaos Control, going at such fast speeds and slamming into everyone you pretty much auto-win. He could have two Final Smashes as well, with Chaos Blast as the other one, if they wanted to somewhat change him up. Probably a case of "you're at a certain amount of damage" or it could be based upon the range. I forget how Ryu/Ken are. I think they're range-based? For Shadow, I'd say your total damage would make more sense. Even without using an internal meter(like Lucario's), since Hero/Dark Modes are another interesting moveset idea you could do.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Anyway, now that things have... calmed down, I had an idea for a good old fashioned pre-E3 speculation discussion:

I found this thread on Twitter asking for people's opinions on the likelyhood of certain things (BOTW2 getting something, Microsoft announcing another acquisition, etc.) happening at E3. Anybody willing to read the whole thread can give their thoughts on what they think based on the list here.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hmmmm, good point, though wouldn't bringing in a character with more hype (like a huge 3rd-party) make Nintendo even more money?
Sure, just like hypothetically putting in Chun-Li and Eevee as the last two characters in Fighter Pass 1 would have made more money than :ult_terry::ultbyleth:.

D

Deleted member

BEHOLD!

Wow I did not know this at all **** me lol

but yeah Raz for Smash. He's probably the only character from a platformer I want in Smash now.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We do have a Raz thread, though it's pretty small at the moment:

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d, but at least I can promote my Psychonauts 2 thread!

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'd love it if Shadow were in. I'd love it even more if Super Shadow wasn't the Final Smash. I like the super forms, but they do get overused easily. Even worse in Super Smash Flash, yeish.

I think Dark Shadow would work even better as a Final Smash, since it emphasizes that Shadow is a much rougher guy and is willing to do what it takes to save the world. He's always been more violent than Sonic(even outside of his own game) and this shows how unique they are. Even if he were a Sonic echo, he could still have a different Final Smash. ...Though let's be real, they'd reuse the Super Mode anyway if he was an Echo. That's just plain easier to do. Though they could also use his Hero Shadow aura instead, since the current Super Sonic Final Smash is very similar to that version of Chaos Control, going at such fast speeds and slamming into everyone you pretty much auto-win. He could have two Final Smashes as well, with Chaos Blast as the other one, if they wanted to somewhat change him up. Probably a case of "you're at a certain amount of damage" or it could be based upon the range. I forget how Ryu/Ken are. I think they're range-based? For Shadow, I'd say your total damage would make more sense. Even without using an internal meter(like Lucario's), since Hero/Dark Modes are another interesting moveset idea you could do.

UNLESS they wanna make people REALLY hate Shadow and make his Chaos Control a regular part of his moveset, making him a mashup of Sonic and Bayonetta. Like Bayonetta's Witch Time, he can just go "CHAOS CONTROL" and slow time for a moment and irritate everybody hahahaha WHILE ALSO moving as fast as Sonic and pulling out guns like Bayonetta hahahahahahaha

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Anyway, now that things have... calmed down, I had an idea for a good old fashioned pre-E3 speculation discussion:

I found this thread on Twitter asking for people's opinions on the likelyhood of certain things (BOTW2 getting something, Microsoft announcing another acquisition, etc.) happening at E3. Anybody willing to read the whole thread can give their thoughts on what they think based on the list here.
BOTW2 seems to be by far the thing that the poll's most optimistic about, other than that people also seem to be optimistic about a Western Smash character and a new DKC game being announced. Interestingly a bare majority seems to think there will only be one Smash character announced at E3. Other things with positive poll results are Microsoft announcing the purchase of a new studio and Sony having a State of Play longer than 40 minutes.

The rest of the stuff seems to be generally viewed as unlikely (Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime 4, new Naughty Dog title, new Hideo Kojima title, Elder Scrolls VI gameplay, new Valve sequel).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
OK, moving on to a new topic.....

Capcom moment.
Here, down below is the original source, as that article only listed one example out of 133 or 200 examples used against Capcom:

To summarize, the author have a book with 1,200 photographs of textures that she took in 1996, and she recognize about 200 textures that might have been used in Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, and other Capcom games. Thanks, to the Capcom leak, one instance of her textures was used in Resident Evil 4 with the exact same file name as the one used in her book CD-ROM. There is a link with all 133 examples of textures that she used against Capcom, but it been set to private, so no one can viewed them right now. Edit: here, the court document to see all of the examples: source

I wonder how this is going to affect a RE or DMC character's stage in Smash or any other fighting games.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Which series would you revive?

I'd definitely say mother if remakes, remasters or localisations count.

Also, because I'm a massive ATLUS fan, whenever I see the Sin and Punishment logo, I immediately think of Persona 2 thanks to the 罪 and 罰 characters.
So, because I now have an excuse, join the Tatsuya Suou Support Thread, and play the Persona 2 duology.
20210507_203353.jpg

They're pretty good.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
UNLESS they wanna make people REALLY hate Shadow and make his Chaos Control a regular part of his moveset, making him a mashup of Sonic and Bayonetta. Like Bayonetta's Witch Time, he can just go "CHAOS CONTROL" and slow time for a moment and irritate everybody hahahaha WHILE ALSO moving as fast as Sonic and pulling out guns like Bayonetta hahahahahahaha
Well, that's a different kind of Chaos Control as is. He has more than one use of it, even if it's just part of the opening game.

• He can slow time in general, allowing him to dodge attacks or go to another place.
    • Sonic Battle lets him do a variation of it via a Flash Step as his Dash move, or an aerial Dash that is outright a teleport ability. Neither are moves that intentionally damage.
  • He often slow times down to launch an attack, which can also look like teleport spamming moves.
  • The special move, Chaos Control, from his own game is a very different move from before, where he goes so fast he destroys everything in his path. So basically it's the energy he gives off from his power combined with the Chaos Emerald itself that does this. Unlike other uses, the Chaos Emerald isn't empowering his skills, making this stand out a bit. While technically he requires the Chaos Emerald for any form of Chaos Control, some games are awkward anyway cause you can technically perform some acts without it anyway. Not that it matters, since lore is clear on how he does it.
So even without a Final Smash, these are some stuff he can normally do. It's a big reason why people mentioning him retooling Witch Time and all. It's just part of his canon normal stuff. Just like he could have an alternate Counter Attack instead of regular Chaos Control if they wanted. He uses something similar in 06 to dodge Silver and then roundhouse kicks him in the back(which became a meme, yep). It would be easily be similar to the concept of how Lucario's Counter works, since he slightly slows down and then counters while dodging. But mostly cause they're both energy-based in how the counters work.

---------------------------

Since it was mentioned what would be neat to to do an Isabelle-style reveal, I can't think of other ones besides Mother(Collection or 3) and F-Zero that sound like they could have a chance. But I admit I'm a bit out of it on realism.

Ones I'd like to see that I either doubt or think have no chance would be Max(Shining Force) or Brian(Quest 64). They're two of my favorite rpg series in general.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I got a message about an expired certificate, and I couldn't use links. I switched to my laptop, and things are working fine, so I'm assuming it's a mobile exclusive issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom