• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So really, the biggest differences in terms of most discussed reps are Octoling and Cinderace? Huh.

I wonder: how does Japan feel about characters whose popularity is mostly japanese (Reimu, Sakura, etc)? Or about other western picks besides Crash?
People genuinely wants Octoling or Agent 8 just like Bandana Dee. But as for Cinderace, they just throw out the name just because, so actually Gen 8 in general is what many are expecting.
Reimu is definitely popular, but also very very divisive. Discussion about her literally never ends, people nonstop talking about Touhou representation in Smash all the time.
I see Sakura close to none at this point. Arle is by far one of the most wanted characters not just as a Sega rep, but in general. Want/Expect polls are held time to time here and there, but it's not rare to see both Arle and Reimu dominate Want results.
Kiryu is not talked as much as here. He's a yakuza (ex-, but doesn't matter) after all, so some think he's not appropriate for Smash.
I think Demi-fiend is more talked about than Sakura actually. Eggman, one or two times I saw his name.
If you are really looking for Japanese picks, Cybuster, Gespenst, and Fighter Roar from Super Robot Wars are getting talks time to time as Bamco reps.
As for western picks, honestly, other than Crash, no one.
Master Chief sometimes when they feel like to look for another western characters, and actually people are pretty cool with him.
Doomguy's already forgotten. Rayman, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
If you are really looking for Japanese picks, Cybuster, Gespenst, and Fighter Roar from Super Robot Wars are getting talks time to time as Bamco reps.
I forgot that Super Robot Wars is really popular over there, no surprise because Japan got every entry in the series all the way back on Famicom and Gameboy. See, this is why we can't assume Japan has the same popular pick as the west and Hero is one of them.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So if the digital E3 event has weekly coverage, could a Sakurai Presents for whatever character gets revealed there be a part of that for Nintendo?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Arle is by far one of the most wanted characters not just as a Sega rep, but in general. Want/Expect polls are held time to time here and there, but it's not rare to see both Arle and Reimu dominate Want results.
Excellent

This is all very great info to have, thank you very much! Out of curiosity, what websites generally harbor the most discussion for Japanese Smash fans?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Someone said that Brawl newcomers never have a cool Side Special and honestly they’re not wrong. Brawl Side Specials are usually the oddballs.

Diddy Kong is a good character though, its the chimp-characterization that bothers me more like in the voice clips. His playstyle is pretty straightforward if it weren’t for Banana but Banana is a genius tool in clicking together his kit, especially back when he had two in Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A lot of Brawl's characters are like that. Meta Knight, Wario, Olimar, Diddy, Lucario, etc. are whole-heartedly deserving of a slot, but nobody really plays them because they're really odd to play.
Not entirely true. Wario was played quite often before his nerfs. Diddy is extremely technical, most technical character in the game even, so that scares people off. Lucario is a very weak character this game, and aura is a weird mechanic, so I agree. I wouldn't know what else to do with Olimar, but Meta Knight plays quite fateful to how he does in Kirby games I believe. They could revamp them a bit, but I don't think a total moveset rehash is needed.

Melee characters needed it more, as Bowser has proven. Zelda needs a revamp, Mewtwo could use one by now; it worked in Smash 4, but in Ultimate he's needing serious work. Then there's the ever going on discussion about what to do with Ganon... And there's the fact the least unique non Echoes as Dr.Mario, Young Link and Pichu originate from Melee.

It's a wonder the original Smash 64 characters still seem to function well. But even there, I'd suggest heavy moveset revamps for DK, Kirby, Yoshi, Luigi and Samus.

It isn't as simple as you state. There's functional and less functional characters from all Smash editions. And I don't think Diddy is one. I say he could use a few tail based attacks, and a chargeable cartwheel, but his moveset is great if you know how to use it.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

In Famitsu's column, Mr. Sakurai, who works on the "Super Smash Bros. Smash Bros." series, made the following comment.

(Sakurai) "I announced that I will make 6 more bodies, but the breakdown of 6 bodies has been decided and I have no plans to make any more. In other words, if I finish these 6 bodies, the work of Smash Bros. SP is finally over.

What character will participate in the war ? I haven't decided. I'm in a position to receive a request from Nintendo. I'm sure there is a consultation about what you think, so if you don't agree, you can decline, but it's a game idea and you can't cancel. no.

while this work can not be such as to have over other work. in other words I am going to the future is more and more lost coming out of the new game that direction. I made in that. new that I thought may be it I've never been moved by my own desire to direct. Basically, I'm doing work to please people other than myself.

I can't say that there is no possibility that the Smash Bros. series will continue. Nintendo's staff isn't thinking about the future at all. It's a foolish idea to add new content without hesitation. It's a foolish idea to put it out for a long time. That's why adding these 6 bodies is a luxury addition. "

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I know the article was written 4 days ago, but this Famitsu column seems reaaaaally similar to this one from a year ago https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/09/this-is-my-role-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-598/

Of course, that is not to say that I expect an FP3 or even more DLC at all, I just don't think this is a new column

D

Deleted member

I know the article was written 4 days ago, but this Famitsu column seems reaaaaally similar to this one from a year ago https://sourcegaming.info/2020/03/09/this-is-my-role-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-598/

Of course, that is not to say that I expect an FP3 or even more DLC at all, I just don't think this is a new column
It could just be that people are asking the same question (is this really the last??) and he gives a near similar answer every time because, yes, it is the last fighter's pass lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
People genuinely wants Octoling or Agent 8 just like Bandana Dee. But as for Cinderace, they just throw out the name just because, so actually Gen 8 in general is what many are expecting.
Reimu is definitely popular, but also very very divisive. Discussion about her literally never ends, people nonstop talking about Touhou representation in Smash all the time.
I see Sakura close to none at this point. Arle is by far one of the most wanted characters not just as a Sega rep, but in general. Want/Expect polls are held time to time here and there, but it's not rare to see both Arle and Reimu dominate Want results.
Kiryu is not talked as much as here. He's a yakuza (ex-, but doesn't matter) after all, so some think he's not appropriate for Smash.
I think Demi-fiend is more talked about than Sakura actually. Eggman, one or two times I saw his name.
Master Chief sometimes when they feel like to look for another western characters, and actually people are pretty cool with him.
Wait, I must ask:

When I looked up stuff for my recent Min Min post I noticed another YouTuber - FORESTちゃんねる. What struck me about that account in particular is that they who operate the account* use Reimu / Marisa heads and text-to-speech. When "Marisa" plays Smash "she" usually goes with a Yellow Kirby, "Reimu" instead uses... :ultganondorf: and :ult_terry: . For example:

They discovered this fun interaction rather recently:

Has that account (+ other more famous Japanese YouTubers etc.) weighed in on speculation? And if so has that impacted speculation? Because I'm pretty sure that people like Alpharad and other Western YouTubers have had their impact on speculation over here due to them lifting up specific characters and what not.

*(I'm using they since they've played multiplayer games together as "Reimu" and "Marisa", like Kirby Superstar.)

Also:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
It could just be that people are asking the same question (is this really the last??) and he gives a near similar answer every time because, yes, it is the last fighter's pass lol.
Perhaps, but I feel like he’d probably respond along the lines of “there’s 2 more characters” rather than “there’s 6 more characters” if that were the case. The writing gives me the impression that at the point of writing none of the characters had been revealed yet. I could be wrong but this seems just a little fishy to me

D

Deleted member

Perhaps, but I feel like he’d probably respond along the lines of “there’s 2 more characters” rather than “there’s 6 more characters” if that were the case. The writing gives me the impression that at the point of writing none of the characters had been revealed yet. I could be wrong but this seems just a little fishy to me
From the context of the question & answer, he's clearly referring to the 6 of the current pass; not some 6 total still left. I know you're saying that you're not putting much faith into it and could be wrong, but you're still putting hope into it. This is a definitive answer. Nothing fishy; nothing hiding. This pass is the last according to his answer here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I mean, the context is clearly "I made 6 more characters for this pass."

It's the same answer in the end. He doesn't need to say it differently to get the point across. There's 6 character packs and that's it.

People keep asking the same thing, about there being more characters beyond the pass. His answer is the same and remains it, even to this day. Repeating it hasn't been effective, but it is just what he meant the first time. If anything. at most there was a misunderstanding that he meant 6 physical characters instead of packs(as Pyra and Mythra are separate characters but one pack, just like previous transformation characters), but that's already cleared up via the site alone. Frankly, I wish they asked better questions, like if Alex will get an amiibo(unlike alt characters, she's literally listed as a part of the full character pack, so... who knows).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Huh, I thought Cinderace was genuinely wanted, seeing as it's the most pushed starter and all. Octoling being popular is kinda understandable too, since Splatoon is one of Nintendo's most successful new IPs in years.

I'm surprised at Reimu being "divisive" and Sakura being "unseen". I would think these characters would be more popular among japanese speculators, do you have any idea why it's like that?

Arle being popular doesn't surprise me though, I remember seeing her in top 10 polls from Japan all the way back in the base game. If I'm not mistaken, Puyo is literally one of Sega's best sellers, at least in Japan. The point about Kiryu kinda makes sense, even if I don't think it would be a roadblock in the end.

As for Cybuster, Gespenst and Fighter Roar... uh, is it bad if I have absolutely no clue who those are? I'm surprised to see you list them as discussed Bamco reps and not a Souls rep, Tales rep or even Nightmare.

Finally for western picks, Chief and Doom Slayer not being discussed too much anymore makes sense, since we already have a Microsoft rep in this pass. As for Rayman, this literally is nothing new to me even as a Rayman supporter lol.

Finally released a POC added spirit to Smash Ultimate!

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/20932
Yooo, that's nice! Looking forward to what the modding scene will do with those.

"I announced that I will make 6 more bodies, but the breakdown of 6 bodies has been decided"

"What character will participate in the war?"

"That's why adding these 6 bodies is a luxury addition."

This almost reads like something I'd see in Book of Mario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if the modding scene will start to pick up once it is confirmed there will be no more DLC. I loved modding in Brawl and even made a ton myself but I’ve been holding off on Ultimate until all the DLC is released. I don’t think it will ever get to the point of Brawl but they make the games so much more enjoyable. I really miss the community as well as being able to just add a character myself instead of hoping it is DLC. Unfortunately, I never learned how to rig a skeleton so once vertex modding faded out, I pretty much followed. I’m not sure what the current policy is discussing mods on this site so I apologize if we aren’t supposed to talk about them.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if the modding scene will start to pick up once it is confirmed there will be no more DLC. I loved modding in Brawl and even made a ton myself but I’ve been holding off on Ultimate until all the DLC is released. I don’t think it will ever get to the point of Brawl but they make the games so much more enjoyable. I really miss the community as well as being able to just add a character myself instead of hoping it is DLC. Unfortunately, I never learned how to rig a skeleton so once vertex modding faded out, I pretty much followed. I’m not sure what the current policy is discussing mods on this site so I apologize if we aren’t supposed to talk about them.
Probably. Modders may be fueled even further to have at it if the rumors of an updated switch with its own exclusive games is true. They would probably take it as a sign that security of the switch is weakening as Nintendo switches focus.

When the modders come, you can have the epic battle of Goku vs Lelouch vi Britannia that was always destined to come to fruition.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I can't see Ultimate modding ever taking off, because why would modders abandon years of research into Brawl to go to Ultimate? Brawl mods are incredibly well refined, going back and starting from scratch seems a bit pointless. But then again, 64 modding has started going places...

also Dolphin runs far better than Yuzu

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Probably. Modders may be fueled even further to have at it if the rumors of an updated switch with its own exclusive games is true. They would probably take it as a sign that security of the switch is weakening as Nintendo switches focus.

When the modders come, you can have the epic battle of Goku vs Lelouch vi Britannia that was always destined to come to fruition.
Speaking of Lelouch, that was one of my favorite vertex mods I made over Marth back in Brawl. I was hoping Elma got in partially so I could make him again and pilot his Nightmare.

There are several reasons Ultimate has a lot more potential than Brawl in that regard. First, there are a lot more characters now that can be used for bases. We also have nearly every stage already so we don’t need to worry about that anymore. When I last modded Brawl, characters weren’t able to have a separate voice for each outfit slot so it made for some really awkward voice mismatched when putting too many characters over the same character. Finally, since this is likely the last time we are going to have every character and nearly every stage, we don’t have to worry about having to start over in the next game. I think this will probably be the optimal game to work from for a very long time, possibly ever.

Even with all that, it’s true that Brawl has a huge advantage in being modded for so much longer but I think Ultimate would be vastly better if it ever did pick up.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Eh, a bit of a lukewarm take. I'll agree to disagree. Who would you demand to fill an arbitrary but somehow necessary retro rep?
Why do you disagree? Uniqueness was one of the four qualities Sakurai claimed factored into his choices.

Excuse the borderline self-promotion, but I didn't want to google it and knew I had made a thread about it.
Pyra and Mythra technically didn't bring anything new since the concept of a 2-in-1 character existed in Melee and Brawl on top of Pokemon Trainer being in the base roster. Their "new thing" comes from their stage's head and neck moving, so new mechanics don't necessarily have to be into the character's moveset.

...unless you think the reason they were added is Foresight, but even that can be summed up as "Witch Time, but it's a dodge instead of a counter".
Don't strawman my post into an argument about requirements when I was talking about probability.
Even though
  1. Takamaru is a samurai first and foremost, and Hayabusa is a ninja
  2. Ninja Gaiden was a Castlevania-esque platformer in its NES heyday, while Mysterious Murasame Castle is a Zelda-esque top-down adventure game, both of which are completely different games?
  1. How would that make them different in Smash?
  2. How would that make them different in Smash?
One series that I think could be a lot of fun that I’ve never seen discussed for Smash is Darksiders. From what I’ve played, the games play a lot like Zelda and have really cool character design. I think characters like War, Death, and the other protagonists would be awesome in Smash. Darksiders is pretty niche so it makes sense that it isn’t really talked about but it has been on Nintendo consoles before.
I'm kind of interested in the character with a whipsword-like weapon.

D

Deleted member

This was leaked in the giga leak too iirc, honestly, a Smash trailer in this style sounds more fun than the usual 'courtroom and then Nick presents his Smash invite' idea everyone throws out
What Giga leak was that again?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What Giga leak was that again?
The one where Capcom got hit by hackers, Capcom confirmed they got hacked and would seek the proper authorities, it contained a bunch of stuff, including what has already been announced with this Teppen expansion with Nick and the new Ghosts and Goblins. It's also how we learned Capcom's legit working on a Great Ace Attorney localization

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
…You really can’t tell the difference between a ninja and a samurai? Because the two would be different at the cores. Like I said, their games aren’t even in the same genre.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

This was leaked in the giga leak too iirc, honestly, a Smash trailer in this style sounds more fun than the usual 'courtroom and then Nick presents his Smash invite' idea everyone throws out
This trailer but for Smash would make me cry. Source: I'm already tearing up at this trailer and I don't even play Teppen. God this is so full of love for Capcom and the first AA trilogy. Need Nick to cross over into Smash more than ever now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
…You really can’t tell the difference between a ninja and a samurai? Because the two would be different at the cores. Like I said, their games aren’t even in the same genre.
According to all known laws of vision science, there is no way that a human should be able to differentiate sword-wielding video game characters. Their eyes are too small to tell the discrepancies between those characters. The human, of course, differentiates sword-wielding video game characters anyways. Because humans don't care what Smash fans think is impossible.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While I'll say that user's arguments aren't the best since it says nothing about how they'd work in Smash, I will say that just because both of them have similar stuff doesn't mean they'd be identical in Smash.

Look no further than Ryu and Terry for a good comparison; both are traditional fighting game characters who have a projectile, an anti-air and a move that makes them rush forward. In other words, the typical Shotoclone archetype.

They still managed to make those two characters feel completely different with the differences in mechanics that Capcom fighters and SNK fighters have between each other even though they have the same template of being a Shotoclone.

Just because both wield katanas and throw projectiles doesn't mean they'll automatically be identical when it comes to a Smash moveset. There are differences between the two franchises that can lead to the two characters being different in Smash.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Did you not understand the question? You didn't answer it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Did you not understand the question? You didn't answer it.
He did answer the first one. He didn't go into detail as to why samurai and ninja are different though, so I will; a samurai fights for the honor of whoever they serve, while a ninja fights for their own survival.

These different mindsets can lead to different playstyles, with the ninja having a variety of tools that can deceive opponents and/or grant them an advantage, willing to do whatever it takes to stay alive, while the samurai would be more honorable and not rely on deception unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He did answer the first one. He didn't go into detail as to why samurai and ninja are different though, so I will; a samurai fights for whoever they serve, while a ninja fights for their own survival.

These different mindsets can lead to different playstyles, with the ninja having a variety of tools that can deceive opponents and/or grant them an advantage, willing to do whatever it takes to stay alive, while the samurai would be more honorable and not rely on deception unless absolutely necessary.
Man, you could have much more easily said "Samurai are trained for combat and are typically shown in slow paced fights that end in minimal blows while ninjas are typically speedy little combo ****ers"

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Spam/off-topic - the post was from April Fool's Day, two weeks ago
Due to today's AF (heh eh) prank, i want to remind you all that over a hundred (maybe over a thousand) people in Mexico gathered to watch the last 2 Super Episodes Live, Sponsored by the Mexican Goverment and was watched in Teathers and Plazas, and despite the Japanese Govement and Toei told them NOT to do it, they did it anyway. It was advetsied like an actual event, im not kidding.

No matter how much of a DBZ fan you think you are, the average mexican has beat you to the punch.

Im more of a OG DB guy, so the game i have the most attachment towards is Advance Adventure, a sidscrolling beat em up platformer. You could play as Goku, Krilling, Yamcha, Bear Bandit, Pilaf's Robot, and..........basically anyone except maybe Bulma i guess.
Yeah i know im late!
I wish Yamcha and chao-zu would be in battle mode
Also my favourite db game is Xenoverse 2 BUT only with mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom