• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey I genuinely want a Gen 8 rep!

Zacian and Zamazenta would be great but unfortunately

Everyone seems to have forgotten this thing existed.
Or it could be that some people (like me) don't want to get a third starter Mon in a row, since that'd be too formulaic and boring.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
True. In this case, i think Urshifu could be more suitable, with some more Mons spirits added alongside him (Ciderace, Sirfetch'd and other popular ones).
Urshifu would be pretty rad, but I personally don't think it's happening because why would they add a Pokemon from the first DLC that not everyone who has the game would see instead of a Pokemon you are guaranteed to see no matter who has the game, Although that opinion holds very little water compared to the spirit event.

I don't think we are getting any Gen 8 Pokemon because of the Spirit event IMO.

D

Deleted member

Random thinking here. I still think that a gen 8 Pokémon rep is pretty possible (unfortunatelly). Of all options, tho ones that seems more natural to me are Ciderace, Urshifu (both forms) and Zacian/Zamazenta. In Zacian/Zamazenta case, they could work like Pyra/Mythra, being two characters in one. The same could work to Urshifu, but the Zacian/Zamazenta duo idea seems much more appealing to me, changing between Zacian (attack) and Zamazenta (defense).

Also, it would be cool to have more four-legged characters in smash alongside Duck Hunt.

View attachment 311634
I may only have experience with a few, but four-legged fighters are typically extremely close range fighters since they use fangs & claws in most cases. And because of that, they tend to be boring, if not bad fighters all around. Sure, Duckhunt Dog managed to get a couple of creative moves to turn it into more of a zoner, but they had to get super freakin creative with his moveset (and involve characters not from the Duckhunt game). The DLC so far, however, has been loyal to a 'T' for each character, so I don't think they're going to start inventing things.

Here, these two in particular would fight completely differently than one another, so you'd have another case of Pyra/Mythra being added which I dont think Sakurai would do considering each of the DLC so far have had completely different mechanics from another (Pyra/Mythra being the only slightly derivative due to the switch mechanic like Pokemon trainer, but switches instantaneously instead of taking a second and being vulnerable on switch). One uses a sword and thus would have slightly better reach (still not great since he holds it in his mouth like a wannabe Zoro) and the other uses a Shield and literally just rams into you. Not to mention they're different typings (Fairy/Steel and Fighting/Steel) and use different moves.

They may be the box legendaries, but I kinda think they've got the lowest chances of being added. They'd be better off as Pokeball pokemon. Not to mention that those two specifically were added as Spirits later on in an event after the game had already released (when they could have just held those two back in particular if they knew they were adding them eventually).

Last edited by a moderator:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I may only have experience with a few, but four-legged fighters are typically extremely close range fighters since they use fangs & claws in most cases. And because of that, they tend to be boring, if not bad fighters all around. Sure, Duckhunt Dog managed to get a couple of creative moves to turn it into more of a zoner, but they had to get super freakin creative with his moveset (and involve characters not from the Duckhunt game). The DLC so far, however, has been loyal to a 'T' for each character, so I don't think they're going to start inventing things.

Here, these two in particular would fight completely differently than one another, so you'd have another case of Pyra/Mythra being added which I dont think Sakurai would do considering each of the DLC so far have had completely different mechanics from another (Pyra/Mythra being the only slightly derivative due to the switch mechanic like Pokemon trainer, but switches instantaneously instead of taking a second and being vulnerable on switch). One uses a sword and thus would have slightly better reach (still not great since he holds it in his mouth like a wannabe Zoro) and the other uses a Shield and literally just rams into you. Not to mention they're different typings (Fairy/Steel and Fighting/Steel) and use different moves.

They may be the box legendaries, but I kinda think they've got the lowest chances of being added. They'd be better off as Pokeball pokemon. Not to mention that those two specifically were added as Spirits later on in an event after the game had already released (when they could have just held those two back in particular if they knew they were adding them eventually).
Most characters have a bit of a stalled turnaround speed but the dogs can just turn around with no traction and loss of speed at all, I think they'd need to add that to make them truly faithful.

I know my humour is unparalleled

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, since the Japanese side of Smash fandom was brought up, I got to ask

Do you think we will get another character that majorly has it's popularity in Japan?

I would say we already got Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra. could we get more?
Honestly despite being JRPG characters, I never really classified Sephi or Xenobaes as characters pandering to the Japanese audience. They have lots of world wide appeal. Japan stan character would be like Reimu or a Gundam.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly despite being JRPG characters, I never really classified Sephi or Xenobaes as characters pandering to the Japanese audience. They have lots of world wide appeal. Japan stan character would be like Reimu or a Gundam.
I think Pyra and Mythra are aimed a little more towards Japanese audiences, but more than anything I think they're for the Switch playerbase in general. A real Japan-appeal rep would be Hero; A cultural phenomenon in Japan, less so in the West. You've probably heard of Dragon Quest for it's influence, but I do think a lot of Westerners only recognized the name and maybe the Slimes (And quite possibly Toriyama's art style). A similarly slanted rep would probably eb something like that, where a couple things are recognizable, but the bulk of Western players don't know the series very well, if at all.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
The idea of a Gundam in smash is funny to me. Not only is it a rep from an anime, but it implies the existence of a tiny pilot if it were sized down to the other characters.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think Pyra and Mythra are aimed a little more towards Japanese audiences, but more than anything I think they're for the Switch playerbase in general. A real Japan-appeal rep would be Hero; A cultural phenomenon in Japan, less so in the West. You've probably heard of Dragon Quest for it's influence, but I do think a lot of Westerners only recognized the name and maybe the Slimes (And quite possibly Toriyama's art style). A similarly slanted rep would probably eb something like that, where a couple things are recognizable, but the bulk of Western players don't know the series very well, if at all.
I agree. For me a character that aims for the Japanese audience would be more something like Puyo puyo, Reimu or at some extent a Tales of characters for example. A character like Dante or Pokémon are popular in Japan, but their popularity isn't limited to Japan.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The idea of a Gundam in smash is funny to me. Not only is it a rep from an anime, but it implies the existence of a tiny pilot if it were sized down to the other characters.
looks at Custom Robo

That aside, it wouldn't be the first time a giant character has been shrunk.

Yes, a reminder that Snake, Simon Belmont and Bomberman fought against Optimus Prime and Megatron...regardless of there being a stage where there is a Transformer at normal size.

SKX31

Smash Master
A slow day on Nintendo Twitter...

Waka waka waka.
NoA twitter is truly a (wo)man of culture. I love watching :ultpacman: in action:

Tea (the Pac Man) played this mindgame with the poor Wolf for almost an entire ****ing minute.
Had to crop the GIF in order to fit the kinda strict size limit, but yes, this is a last stock 100 % situation for both players.

looks at Custom Robo

Yes, a reminder that Snake, Simon Belmont and Bomberman fought against Optimus Prime and Megatron...regardless of there being a stage where there is a Transformer at normal size.
Hoo boy the entire character list itself is ridonkolous and I love it:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
he doesn't know

I walked right into this one. Jokes aside ZZ is my least favorite of any UC Gundam, I only liked the last couple episodes.

looks at Custom Robo

I don't think Custom Robo or Transformers have pilots inside of them (correct me if I'm wrong, I know minimal of each). The problem isn't shrinking down the mech, it's shrinking down the pilot inside like Amuro down to a size where he is smaller than Pichu

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think if fighters were on a 9 point scale of regional appeal; 1 being a very American/European oriented character, 5 with large scale popularity to both, and 9 being a wholly Japanese focused one?

Sephiroth is probably around a 6, Pyra/Mythra a 7, and I suppose Hero an 8. Most of Smash's really regional choices are in the base game, and Ultimate's played it decently safe with the DLC. Even the Xenoblade 2 representation isn't a case of at all being unpopular in the West (especially given the recent positive reaction of XB2), its just that Japan really likes them so much that the appeal just naturally seems lopsided.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

Do you think we will get another character that majorly has it's popularity in Japan?

I think we could get more characters that have major popularity in Japan especially villains.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think Custom Robo or Transformers have pilots inside of them (correct me if I'm wrong, I know minimal of each). The problem isn't shrinking down the mech, it's shrinking down the pilot inside like Amuro down to a size where he is smaller than Pichu
Transformers don't have pilots(depending on series), but Custom Robo absolutely does. Basically:

You see the Blue aura around those two? When people fight with Custom Robos, basically their minds are placed in the Robos themselves and they pilot the Robos. In the series itself, this is referred to as "diving", kinda like a scuba diver suit. This OVA for the first Custom Robo on N64 shows it in action.
It's not a direct transport, as the pilot's body remains outside, but Custom Robos are practically tiny Gundams. Like they are small compared to the actual people. You don't really see their size since they fight in Virtual Holosseams for the most part, but in cases where they actually fight in the real world, as shown in Custom Robo Arena, they are small even compared to kids, so in a sense, a person's mind going to pilot a Custom Robo is essentially a pilot shrinking in size.
Ray mk 3 size.png

Super Smash Bros. could get away with a Custom Robo being close to average size as they could technically be fighting in a Holosseam, but even Super Smash Bros. Brawl showed that Ray MK 3 is smaller than Mario.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Transformers don't have pilots(depending on series), but Custom Robo absolutely does. Basically:

You see the Blue aura around those two? When people fight with Custom Robos, basically their minds are placed in the Robos themselves and they pilot the Robos. In the series itself, this is referred to as "diving", kinda like a scuba diver suit. This OVA for the first Custom Robo on N64 shows it in action.
It's not a direct transport, as the pilot's body remains outside, but Custom Robos are practically tiny Gundams. Like they are small compared to the actual people. You don't really see their size since they fight in Virtual Holosseams for the most part, but in cases where they actually fight in the real world, as shown in Custom Robo Arena, they are small even compared to kids, so in a sense, a person's mind going to pilot a Custom Robo is essentially a pilot shrinking in size.
View attachment 311647

Super Smash Bros. could get away with a Custom Robo being close to average size as they could technically be fighting in a Holosseam, but even Super Smash Bros. Brawl showed that Ray MK 3 is smaller than Mario.
Hmmm interesting. Custom Robo is one of the series I've always wanted to play but never got around to. Definitely looks like a fun game

SKX31

Smash Master
I think if fighters were on a 9 point scale of regional appeal; 1 being a very American/European oriented character, 5 with large scale popularity to both, and 9 being a wholly Japanese focused one?

Sephiroth is probably around a 6, Pyra/Mythra a 7, and I suppose Hero an 8. Most of Smash's really regional choices are in the base game, and Ultimate's played it decently safe with the DLC. Even the Xenoblade 2 representation isn't a case of at all being unpopular in the West (especially given the recent positive reaction of XB2), its just that Japan really likes them so much that the appeal just naturally seems lopsided.
MFW my most wanted is both a 1 and outside the scale entirely.

Nah but seriously, that's a fair aspect to note. Terry would be an interesting case where he'd probably be around 8 as well, but a lot of his popularity also come from "non-traditional" areas: any such rating would depend a lot on how one views his LatAm / Chinese popularity really - that is, whether or not one would include "non-traditional" areas in the rating.

TBF they did increase :ultolimar: 's size by a lot just so that he could appear*. If they need to they could shrink down Custom Robo (and presumably most mecha) - I'd imagine Ray would be larger than his AT counterpart in Brawl Ivander Ivander posted (which is smaller than :ultpichu: it looks like), but the Robo would not need to be :ultridley: sized either. One could get away with :ultcharizard: or even :ultrob: size with them IMHO.

*(Although I still think that Olimar's attacks are too difficult to properly read partly due to size, partly due to several attacks sharing very similar animations - however, it'd be very difficult to rectify this and make them clearer because he's a commander at the end of the day. He could benefit from a "Next-Pikmin-in-Line" UI marker a la how several characters have small UI markers, because telling which Pikmin is next can also be difficult even with the arrow pointer.)

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Hmmm interesting. Custom Robo is one of the series I've always wanted to play but never got around to. Definitely looks like a fun game
It's definitely a hidden gem for the Gamecube and it's very enjoyable. Custom Robo Arena was also good, but the Custom Robo for Gamecube might be preferable because of how frickin' smooth it plays. Like despite being able to have 4 players, it runs at a really good 50-60 FPS and it just feels very satisfying to play.

Oh, and it also has one of the few Nintendo villains to have actually succeeded at destroying Earth.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If she was going to be an echo she would have been added already.
I don't think that's how the character creation process works at all.

Why do you disagree? Uniqueness was one of the four qualities Sakurai claimed factored into his choices.
I already told you, by just doing things differently. You're putting them together like people put together random JRPG guys and call it "anime swordsmen".

Or do you want me to go out of my way to list every single possible difference for you? :224: Because I think you're asking me to do that for you.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...Is it just me, or did the Isaac thread just up and disappear?
1618615740586.png

I know it's replies numbered in the thousands, but it's just not there for some reason

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hey I genuinely want a Gen 8 rep!

Zacian and Zamazenta would be great but unfortunately

Everyone seems to have forgotten this thing existed.
They still have a chance. Biggest argument in their favor is the fact that Sakurai usually has placeholders for Pokémon until he has a better grasp on who's popular. Just because the pass was decided by 2019 doesn't mean he knew exactly which Pokémon he was adding. It just so happens that the starters and the Legendaries are the ones most associated with each Gen, so when looking for potential Spirits, of course they're gonna start there.

There's also Min Min and Pyra who offer us examples on how Sakurai could work around existing Spirits. Zacian and Zamazenta aren't base game Spirits, but that doesn't really change the way they could be handled.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They still have a chance. Biggest argument in their favor is the fact that Sakurai usually has placeholders for Pokémon until he has a better grasp on who's popular. Just because the pass was decided by 2019 doesn't mean he knew exactly which Pokémon he was adding. It just so happens that the starters and the Legendaries are the ones most associated with each Gen, so when looking for potential Spirits, of course they're gonna start there.

There's also Min Min and Pyra who offer us examples on how Sakurai could work around existing Spirits. Zacian and Zamazenta aren't base game Spirits, but that doesn't really change the way they could be handled.
My only stipulation with that line of thinking is the fact that a Spirit event exists at all, especially since it came out so close to the assumed decision date for the rest of the pass. I have very mixed opinions on whether or not it kills a chance for a Pokemon, but I do feel relatively confident that the specific characters are dead.

Or I could just be dead wrong, I'd accept being wrong because Zacian And Zamazenta would be rad as hell.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

We probably get one more.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hope a hypothetical Gen 8 rep would continue the recent pattern of "**** the main characters, here's a crazy unique side character".

give us mr. ****ing rime, sakurai

SharkLord

Smash Hero
With the SwSh spirit event, I'm gonna be in the niche King Boo camp. Feel free to hop in, we have ghost shaped cookies.
And I'm just the guy who goes "Screw it, FDC's the only one that really fits the time frame, let's back Ayumi." At the very least, the Spirit Events have led us to some more unorthodox picks.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My only stipulation with that line of thinking is the fact that a Spirit event exists at all, especially since it came out so close to the assumed decision date for the rest of the pass. I have very mixed opinions on whether or not it kills a chance for a Pokemon, but I do feel relatively confident that the specific characters are dead.

Or I could just be dead wrong, I'd accept being wrong because Zacian And Zamazenta would be rad as hell.
And that's fair. Main reason why I don't feel intimated by the Spirit Event is because of how much time has passed since then. Even as F10, the Pokémon would be a year and a half after the Spirit Event. That's more than triple the gap between 3H and Byleth.

A recurring theme for Spirit Events is promoting new releases, and with such a large gap of time, I could see them making a few Spirits for the sake of promoting a AAA game. If there's ever a franchise they'd do something like that for, it's Pokémon.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
With the SwSh spirit event, I'm gonna be in the niche King Boo camp. Feel free to hop in, we have ghost shaped cookies.
I'd totally be down for King Boo. Last Resort as a stage? A Spirit Board with E. Gadd, Gooigi, Polterpup, some bosses from LM1 and LM3, and Hellen Gravely? Sounds like we've got everything necessary for a pack to me.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Momotaro Densetsu for Smash!

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'd totally be down for King Boo. Last Resort as a stage? A Spirit Board with E. Gadd, Gooigi, Polterpup, some bosses from LM1 and LM3, and Hellen Gravely? Sounds like we've got everything necessary for a pack to me.
That's what I expect basically. Byleth and Pyra/Mythra came with existing spirits too so that would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom