• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Advancement of Metagame thread |Updated Random ideas 10/28/10!!!

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Wario's air movement is crazy, making his aerials nasty. Bite beats ANYTHING. But that and the CG I don't see anything else to give anyone the advantage.

Wario is the Jiggs of Brawl

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Wario's air movement is crazy, making his aerials nasty. Bite beats ANYTHING. But that and the CG I don't see anything else to give anyone the advantage.

Wario is the Jiggs of Brawl
I knida thought Jigglypuff was the Jiggs of brawl, but I guess I'm wrong.

Really nice pic btw.

KoSa! FTW.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL Jiggs doesn't even exist in Brawl.

Grabbing Wario is tougher than it seems too I think, shieldgrabs aren't going to happen against a good Wario. And you won't catch a Wario playing the ground game with you, he floats in Fair/Dair and retreat or bite/grab on shield.

Also Peach Guard <333

Cable

Smash Lord
Just keep doing pivot grab on Wario dont chase him for the Grab because if you miss hes going to grab you. Keep count of the timer for you can avoid the powerful fart and when Wario is in the air dont rush yourself with the bairs be patience and throw some uptilts.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Just keep doing pivot grab on Wario
Doesn't this just cause a repetition of missed pivot grabs, and missed spaced fairs? In which case he has the advantage, because he has more options, and stage control since DK keeps going back. I think I should add I don't play any pro Warios, or in a competitive atmosphere.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Well, I assume Cable doesn't mean to spam it constantly. If you do the same thing over and over, it generally doesn't work. Pivot grabbing is very effective against wario though, more so than chasing for the grab in my experience.

The chaingrab really does make the matchup difficult. I haven't really had a lot of experience against wario with the cg, but when I have I'veplayed the mu like I used (getting grabbed in the process ;~; ) and generally get outplayed anyway.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Well wario has to do a bad job of spacing to get pvg. Maybe I don't see it because I don't play to many warios.

Cable

Smash Lord
Just like Slifa said i ddnt mean to spam it lol

Your eventually going to grab Wario in the match thats the best way to kill him. Its difficult tho that MU its all about being careful and spacing from eachother both characters have deadly grabs on eachother especially Warios -___- just space all the time with DK dont go in and if you feel Wario is getting close try to pivot grab and hopefully you grab him.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
thats why you use approaching pivot grabs also.
Making sure I read that right. Is that like after a bair you grab or something? Or is it simply walking forward then pvg, OR is run forward and pvg backwards.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
pivot grabbing wario isn't too difficult because although wario advances in aerial momentum he doesn't have range, and the grabbox of pivot grab + grab armor just makes an acceptable tool (along with just retreating b.airs, upairs, rolling, etc)

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
grabbing wario is hard, but the opportunities WILL present itself, also, if you notice the wario isnt all too consistent with his chaingrab, you can turn around grab him back if he screws up ^^ so you can return the favor

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Where do I go to learn DK tricks and shenanigans?

Like, I have basic DK spacing and fundamentals down, but I don't know all the silly stuff. Every time I ask soldier2 he just tells me "bair, bair this" and "bair, bair that". Ook does silly stuff but he's the strong silent type. Ripple too, but I hardly ever see the guy.

(guys, I'm working on my perfect punch @ snake landing and my "**** YOU IM DK, EAT MY UPB" games. They're hard ):

DK boards help me out.

Like, basically a list of. This is the goofy **** that might not come to mind, but you should work on; "list". Would make my week. Or a link or point to a thread like it.

An easy example is dthrow to ftilt. Had to be told that, didn't think of it on my own. Stuff like that since my DK is all self taught.

I see you in here rip, and I'm gonna want to pick your brain at SiiS.

crifer

Smash Lord

Like, I have basic DK spacing and fundamentals down, but I don't know all the silly stuff. Every time I ask soldier2 he just tells me "bair, bair this" and "bair, bair that". Ook does silly stuff but he's the strong silent type. Ripple too, but I hardly ever see the guy.

(guys, I'm working on my perfect punch @ snake landing and my "**** YOU IM DK, EAT MY UPB" games. They're hard ):

DK boards help me out.

Like, basically a list of. This is the goofy **** that might not come to mind, but you should work on; "list". Would make my week. Or a link or point to a thread like it.

An easy example is dthrow to ftilt. Had to be told that, didn't think of it on my own. Stuff like that since my DK is all self taught.

read through this thread, I would say one of the best threads here.

What I did @ last Tournament:
If the enemy is tall enough and @ kill % you can do the "fox syndrome".
Run to, let´s say Snake, and do a running usmash, looks great, feels great and the opponent thinks wtf.
Works against Snake, Samus, ROB, Lucario, maybe ZSS, Ganon, CHarizard and maybe others.

daisho

Smash Lord

DK boards help me out.

Luckily for you I'm pretty sure this is the perfect thread for you. Just read the first post.

ook

Smash Lord
Nair to up-b, on battlefield

Punch (shielded) to dsmash

Cargo, turn around, release, charge dsmash/down-b

and down-b a lot

super kong (up-b glitch) off the edge, then float back on (or grab the ledge for edgehogging)

Silfa

Smash Ace
Bair to side b is always fun.

Using punch as bait as it doesn't have much lag, similar to the shielded punch to dsmash ook suggested.

Charging up the punch once or twice in the air so you're no longer facing them and opens up opportunities with bair.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
You should just make a video of you playing DK for a few minutes. Its a combo video already. Rename yourself flashykong.

Of course I remember you!

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Learn to time a reverse Congo Punch. Those are useful and awesome to pull off. You can learn to time it off a pivot, jump, falling off a ledge, etc.
Landless recovery to the stage and then down-smash.
Sometimes you can chainthrow a down throw if you chase them right, or follow it with down/up b.
Just learning when to use certain moves against certain characters.
Mess around with him yourself. Most stuff I learned on my own by messing around. Then I saw some videos and noticed they were legit techniques. I also learned how other DKs play and approach and incorporated some of what I liked into my style.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
"Gimping Ice Climbers
Okay, this one isn't really that useful but its cool. Just grab one, put it on your back and walk off and d toss. Then hit the other with an attack and the first will die. Not so useful because if they grab you out of cargo (is that possible), you fail and lose your stock."

just wanted to point out that yes, you can get grabbed out of a cargo hold, since you have heavy armor like snake's cypher

daisho

Smash Lord
Hey dudes, I really want to completely revamp this thread because it's super old.

Before I go around changing specific things I want to have an actual plan.

I would really appreciate any advice as far as organization goes.

Thanks alot.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Hey dudes, I really want to completely revamp this thread because it's super old.

Before I go around changing specific things I want to have an actual plan.

I would really appreciate any advice as far as organization goes.

Thanks alot.
If you want i could make a video of all the AT's we got and put them up here. I already have a vid for the up-b break, and b-reverse headbutt for DI purposes. I could do up b tricks on different stages, and down b and dsmash on platforms to hit tall opponents. Jab locks, jab lock/punch/whatever after knocking someone off of platform.

Yeah?

Top Bottom