• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Advancement of Metagame thread |Updated Random ideas 10/28/10!!!

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK would need 31 frames, but only has like 22...

It's really shocking how slow DKs fair is. It could be the slowest aerial in the game... It's way slower than Ikes and Ganons aerials. =\

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
It's basically the same as marios... except mario can autocancel like 15 frames early. Then again, our fists go a little bit further than his :p

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
That's what I thought but I couldn't quite tell. We were having a huge discussion about her in one of the NC threads just the other day lol.

crifer

Smash Lord
So my friends, what are we currently discussing about DK anyways?
abuse upB OOS against good players, if the opponent stands directly in front of you.
Good players tend to shield or spotdodge in that situation which upB beats.

jab. how useful is the jab?
I incooperiated down angled ftilt in my game, what do you think yout it in comparism to dtilt?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
abuse upB OOS against good players, if the opponent stands directly in front of you.
Good players tend to shield or spotdodge in that situation which upB beats.

jab. how useful is the jab?
I incooperiated down angled ftilt in my game, what do you think yout it in comparism to dtilt?
Downward angled f-tilt definitely has its uses for DK. For the most part, d-tilt is better in every way though lol.

However in specific situations it is extremely useful- for instance if you d-throw someone at 0% near the edge, you can down angled f-tilt them as a follow up before they can grab the edge (it's really good as a spaced edge guard tactic in general as well).

I know if you down angled f-tilt Ike's "sweet spot" up-b you can hit him out of it without being touched, over and over again if you space it correctly xD Pretty sure Ripple had a video of him doing that lol.

I honestly think it's best used at the edge bc of the direction it would knock them back offstage, or in certain matchups like Kirby!!! D-tilt works pretty well against kirby, but since he is so small and can crouch so low, normal angled f-tilt and down angled f-tilt are optimal.

Also, DK's single jab cancel is amazing. A lot of my mind games revolve around single jabs into.... stuff. lol. Jab > d-tilt is the classic. Tipper jab > grab at mid percents. Tipper jab > d-smash at high percents mmmmm.

Or my favorite... tipper jab > pivot grab lol. Just looks really sexy, and DK has a lot of swag so he just wants to get it out in the open anyway. =P

Also if for whatever reason your opponent is at way too high of a percent for tipper jabs to combo like usual, it will normally knock them in the perfect height behind DK for you to short hop b-air. lol

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I am starting to dig the second jab hit. It hits pretty high at an angle up-and-over from DK, which you could easily string.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Hey I got a new ledge option that is not listed on the OP!

Press x/y from edge, up+B immediatly.

This can combo your opponent unexpectedly, or you can end up hitting them and grabbing the other edge (on stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's island and smashville) Or you can lagless land on a platform, it works really good when you're on high% and your foe is rushing to KO.

Also the safest way to KO your opponent after a side+B on high% is the Down smash, the hitbox comes out sooner than the punch and the side smash. (sometimes the opponent might escape b4 you land the hit), and it's really powerful probably an instant KO.

crifer

Smash Lord
^I wouldn´t do that often, easily punishable.

What I like to do against tall Characters (Bowser, Snake, Ganon, Zelda, Samus, maybe Lucario):

tippered jab to usmash. looks awesome, feels awesome and is a pretty fast setup for a strong smash ;-)
Of course it´s escapable and not guaranted, but who expects this?

crifer

Smash Lord
I've never tried tippered jab to upsmash, but it sounds really cool. What percentages does it work at?
Since they COULD DI it randomly, it´s not guaranted,
but I have the feeling it works from 0 % - 150 %, of course you want to do it @ 100 %, because it kills and the hitlag is longer.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Since they COULD DI it random, it´s not guaranted,
but I have the feeling it works from 0 % - 150 %, of course you want to di it @ 100 %, because it kills and maybe the hitlag is longer.
Yeah, I figured it isn't guaranteed and will only send them where you want them occasionally. That's pretty cool to know though. I've always liked tippered jab to dsmash.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Are there really any true benefits for using the second jab? I mean, I tend to use it just to change it up sometimes and maybe follow through with another attack or just to get my opponent away from me, but as far as I know it doesn't really set up into anything.

On an unrelated note, though I'd still like an answer to the above, are there any uses for dash attack, either? Again, I'll sometimes uses it to change it up or maybe to tech chase for some random reason, but it's pretty laggy so I can't think of any true reasons to use it. Enlighten me?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
*sorry, double post, the actual post is the last one a page back*

marmitonkiller

Smash Apprentice
Are there really any true benefits for using the second jab? I mean, I tend to use it just to change it up sometimes and maybe follow through with another attack or just to get my opponent away from me, but as far as I know it doesn't really set up into anything.

On an unrelated note, though I'd still like an answer to the above, are there any uses for dash attack, either? Again, I'll sometimes uses it to change it up or maybe to tech chase for some random reason, but it's pretty laggy so I can't think of any true reasons to use it. Enlighten me?
the second jab can be usefull because it have more range then the first jab sometime I use the second jab for spacing it doesnt have as much range as the ftilt or the dtilt but it place the opponent in the air at a perfect place for setup some bair I also use the second jab when someone try to grab the ledge because the hitbox can hit even if they are a bit under the ledge or if they are above the ledge and it also does a decent dammage 6%

for the dash attack I dont use it alot but I am pretty sure there is many occasion we could use it since the hitbox stay for a realy long time we could probably use it for punish roll and spotdodge and it can also beat the tornado

humble

Smash Ace
Whats the earliest frames you can cancel the Africa Punch windup? Just wondering the applications of B reverse Africa Punch cancel.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
DK's dash attack has a pretty good lagging hitbox so at least for how I use it is to punish spotdodges.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
We've probably discussed this before, but how do you get back from the edge against, say, a Marth (among other characters)?

You can never roll or just get up, even before %100, because you can punish it on reaction. Jumping kind of works, but guys like Marth can Fair it on reaction, and even if you air dodge, you can get hit again easily.

I feel like the only options are attacking under %100, and... getting lucky. Halp!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Ledge get up attack ***** under 100%.

I almost never dash attack because I can up b instead.

Dash attack is always safe on hit though.

crifer

Smash Lord
Ledge get up attack ***** under 100%.

I almost never dash attack because I can up b instead.

Dash attack is always safe on hit though.
Me, too. Maybe I should use more dash attack...maybe against tornado spamming mk´s.
(I never tried to beat it with dash attack)

Silfa

Smash Ace
I really struggle getting off the ledge against Marth over 100%. The get up attack works really well against him below under 100% but I've yet to figure out a way around it once above 100%. Has anyone learned to deal with this?

I generally use up b in place of dash attack as well. Dash attack can beat spotdodges, but so do up b and pivot grab, which I feel are more rewarding and leave more room for error. Although beating tornado with dash attack is also something I've never really tried and sounds interesting.

crifer

Smash Lord
I just thought, that I never tried to super armor upB tornado...
Can it work? I mean we have SA frames from 10-16 and the hitbox comes out at 19,
these three frames could mess it up, right?

Silfa

Smash Ace
I think you super armour through the first few hits of the tornado, but then you get hit by the millions more that come afterwards.

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
Though DK's super armor frames on his up b cancels out MK's up b super frames. Could be useful for scrub MK's who spam up b to recover.

YooY

Smash Cadet
There is no super armor on the upb offstage. I don't know if the tornado must be on the ground but SA the nado will stop it and Hit the MK

Flashing

Smash Apprentice
I don't know because I saw a vid of it in a tourney doubles match but maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

Also you sure DK's up b doesn't have super armor in the air? I'm sure whenever I play him I notice him going through some of the frames of Bowser's fire to recover as an example.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Also you sure DK's up b doesn't have super armor in the air? I'm sure whenever I play him I notice him going through some of the frames of Bowser's fire to recover as an example.
DK is invincible while doing aerial up-b on frames 4-6.

if it were 1-6 I think DK would be broken

Top Bottom