• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I like Monk a lot, but I don't care for how "Dragon Kick" (Get the reference) Secondary Skill is the best for like...ever so far :s
Is that the teleport thing with the "flying side kick" rune? I tried it and then swapped immediately, what's the appeal of it? The stun?

I've been using the basic attack with the thunderclap rune, that makes you teleport to enemies and do AoE damage, seems the best for a low fps player lol

edit: when you're selling stuff on the auction house, do you make a buyout price? I always made buyout prices in WoW and that's how stuff sold, but like I'm trying to sell two rare items here, but when you try to sort by buyout price there are PAGES AND PAGES of items without buyout price so how the hell will anyone find mine? It seems like you can't sort by bid, either.

Sharky

Smash Master
idk if I'm stupidly missing something or not, but is there a way to look at the actual stats on AH stuff? All I seem to see is the names/prices.

What's The Point

Smash Master
edit: when you're selling stuff on the auction house, do you make a buyout price? I always made buyout prices in WoW and that's how stuff sold, but like I'm trying to sell two rare items here, but when you try to sort by buyout price there are PAGES AND PAGES of items without buyout price so how the hell will anyone find mine? It seems like you can't sort by bid, either.
That is what I thought but just put a buyout price and somebody will somehow find and buy it. Only do Rares (Yellows). I'm currently stuck waiting for some blues to run out of time because nobody is buying them. **** the 10 item limit.

I think the most consistent form of income are Pages/Tomes of ____. But does anyone understand how selling non-equipment works? When you search for them you only get 1 result and that makes no sense to me.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Is that the teleport thing with the "flying side kick" rune? I tried it and then swapped immediately, what's the appeal of it? The stun?

I've been using the basic attack with the thunderclap rune, that makes you teleport to enemies and do AoE damage, seems the best for a low fps player lol

Um... no I don't believe so. I'm talking about your right click skill. You have the staff twirl thing[lol], the bell, and the kick move. The kick move seems better in every way. 35SP Vs the Bells 70 SP, and it does more conal damage.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Oh the knockback kick? Yeah I don't use that anymore, currently using the AoE thing that stays around you and refreshes whenever you attack something. It costs 75 spirit but you can keep it up the whole time while fighting.

@Sharky: all you have to do is mouse over the item's icon in the AH and it shows you its stats, I think.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just a reminder guys, TURN ON ELECTIVE MODE! It makes the game so much better. Go to Options -> Gameplay -> Elective Mode and click the box. While you are there also click the Advanced Tooltips box. This is essential for playing the game and will improve your experience.

The GoldAH is great right now because so many people are leveling up. Someone lower level than you will just grab good things you put up pretty quickly.

--

Anyone have advice for WD builds?

I'm currently in act 1 nm with WD and doing fine, but I'm with a group of people and keep switching around my build. I find I don't use skills with mana that often for some reason, my primary source of damage is jumping spiders and they seem to melt things so *shrugs*.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah I told my friend to turn on elective mode and advanced tooltips, but apparently he didn't hear me about the advance part at first. When he got Raven companion on DH he was like "It doesn't show how much damage it does" and I was like "wtf everything does though" and it was confusing for a while. He also didn't understand how elective mode worked at first, the skill system is a bit unintuitive for a beginner :/

Elective Mode and Advanced Tooltips shouldn't even exist, they should just be on by default forever -_-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Heres a tip guys: Check out the inventory of merchants in towns. I found a ring in one shop for ~4500, bought 6 of them and sold them each for 7k. That was 20 min ago and all 6 have sold, so i think they could have gone for a bit more.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Monk's only have 3 Secondary Skills. (Right click) The Kick, the Staff Twirl Thing, and the Giant Ceremonial Bell Drop.

You don't use any of those?

Player-3

Smash Hero
I didnt know aboutif advanced mode i always just held ctrl to see the damage lol

Hylin i ll gie you the wd build i find works best when i get home its worked well for me so far

:phone:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I didn't know that either. I hope I'm not doing Monk wrong by going for Atk Speed > Dex > Etc

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
^ Monk's only have 3 Secondary Skills. (Right click) The Kick, the Staff Twirl Thing, and the Giant Ceremonial Bell Drop.

You don't use any of those?
I didn't know that either. I hope I'm not doing Monk wrong by going for Atk Speed > Dex > Etc
No I don't use any of those (elective mode ftw) and no you're not building wrong if you want damage. I'm going for survivability because my DH friend does literally over double my DPS anyway lol. Part of that is because I found him a really nice crossbow for our level.

skills:
-Thunder Fist with thunderclap rune
-Sweeping Wind
-Breath of Heaven with Circle of Life rune
-Mystic Ally
-Cyclone Strike with Implosion rune
-Mantra of Evasion with Hard Target rune

Passives: Transcendence, Chant of Resonance.

Lotsa spirit regen and AoE, lotsa healing, woo

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
No I don't use any of those (elective mode ftw) and no you're not building wrong if you want damage. I'm going for survivability because my DH friend does literally over double my DPS anyway lol. Part of that is because I found him a really nice crossbow for our level.

skills:
-Thunder Fist with thunderclap rune
-Sweeping Wind
-Breath of Heaven with Circle of Life rune
-Mystic Ally
-Cyclone Strike with Implosion rune
-Mantra of Evasion with Hard Target rune

Passives: Transcendence, Chant of Resonance.

Lotsa spirit regen and AoE, lotsa healing, woo
From my understanding:

DH/Wizards are the damage, Monk is Damage+Tanking, Barb is Tanking, WD is support. I could be wrong though.

The thing I love about Monk is we don't do the insane dps, but we don't go down so easily either. I built for Damage because well I have so much ArmorRating from that Passive skill where Dex goes into Defense.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Most annoying is reflect damage which reflects all my abilities and basically makes the impossible for me to kill. Second worst is Frozen Jailer.
I had molten, jailer, I think that's even worse. I got exploded as soon as they trapped me lol.

Just to clarify some things if you can Lovage,

When you say rare do you mean yellows or blues (or both)? And around what level are you talking about, since I'm only lvl 23ish atm.
Rares are the yellow ones, blues (Magical) are crap usually but some can be good still.

Player-3

Smash Hero
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hZYdiT!ZdV!aYbZaa

is my wd build i run hylian,

left click highly variable can be pretty much any skill you want but i like flash fire because you dont have to aim it allowing you to be more mobile, spiders work well too my favorite with this skillset is the queen spider just toss it in the middle of your other aoe dots and watch the numbers, splinter darts on bosses/haunt instead of aoe slow depending on boss (with the healing rune if you run haunt)

pretty much geared around never dying because you take massive reduced damage and have pets to tank everything and a 6 sc cd massive aoe 60% slow to kite with while throwing the acid cloud out to do extra damage, and when **** goes down you can heal to full with soul harvest/siphon rune

and then if you DO die, your passive takes over and you become invincible and heal 10% of your hp giving you time to soul harvest back to full and set up more slow traps :troll:

works pretty well for me, just throwing out aoe dots on them

if ur with a group the build changes ALOT

Matt07

Smash Master
Just beat Normal, bosses are much harder then the previous games, and
I had to completely revamp my gear to give me more life as I was dying in one hit. Going to play this game a lot more before I start Hardcore.

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Finally got my CE in the mail today. Just beat the Skeleton King and got some lame-*** rare gloves. >:[

D

Deleted member

So I started playing today. The first surprise the game had in store for me?

"Holy crap, the Steam overlay actually works with this game!"

Oh, and my Battletag is TheBaron#1677

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Yea I just got this today too. My tag is Fragger#1815, add me whenever you want to play but I only have a low level monk. Also what level you finish the main quest approx?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
wat

you mean

just let your pets tank for about 10 seconds before they all die and then kite for the rest of your cds

:p
Ya kiting sucks, well I'm just getting a bit personal here. I would rather smash things to pieces and see bodies fly while my axe cleaves their bodies in half.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Psycho#1343

I don't even have the game installed yet though, LOL

Gonna be a witch doctor

Jem.

Smash Master
Wait until you get to Hell Mode. There were some affix combination we literally corpse ran past. (What that means is, someone runs ahead, dies, you banner to their dead body, and continue to run until you get the next quest objective or door) That is what a lot of people did in Inferno because the affix combinations get more, harder, and stronger haha.

Witch Doctor is sick, you're tripping. Everyone likes my Gargantuan enraging, and the his last run he can stun enemies.

What I was running for the most part was the Spirit Walk runed to deal damage to whoever I run through, Soul harvest, Locust Swarm, Bouncing Fire Bombs, Gargantuan, and Big Bad Voodoo to where everyone inside the Voodoo deals more damage (and everyone attacks faster)

So my main combo is pretty much Spirit Walk through everyone, Soul Harvest, Locust Swarm the whole area, run out while invincible (it nearly runs out at this point) then fire bomb spam and poke in for locust swarms and the combo again when I can. Although I try to save Spirit Walk for when I'm in a terrible situation too and need to get out XD

I wanna learn new builds though, I had an AoE poison one with the passive to where when I hit with poison, enemies deal 30% less damage for 3 seconds. Lots of builds for all characters!

And by the way, for any monks, Serenity got nerfed. Athene and 3 monks were on act 3 Inferno (by corpse running just to bosses, I'm pretty sure, because thats what Inferno people do) and all were at 5k health, all DPS build, and they'd cycle through all their serenities which adds up to 8 seconds of invulnerability perfectly and keep doing that, but Blizzard hotfixed Serenity to .5 seconds instead of 2 seconds, so he dropped out of the world first Inferno race haha.

Kage: Unless you are pure tank, you will be kiting period. Just because you are melee doesn't give you an excuse to stand in every attack ever. People will yell at you if you refuse to dodge things (And common knowledge is kite backwards or in a circle, never forward) so you will inevitably have to kite atleast a little bit no matter what :p. In Hell on skype, DM would call out the affixes because some affix combos you want to do different things. Burn them, spread out, etc. Can't slack a lack later on and left click to win XD

The challenge is good though.

Lovage

Smash Hero
world first boss kills are all pretty much a sham cuz of that. i am not impressed by anything in this game until people start doing it on hardcore.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
world first boss kills are all pretty much a sham cuz of that. i am not impressed by anything in this game until people start doing it on hardcore.
I'm going to start doing that eventually but not yet, I want to learn the game more and see what I have to expect from the higher difficulties.. cause man I even died in normal about 7-8 times. lol. Hmm... though HC definitely feels like a thrilling adventure.

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, atleast Athene was honest, he didn't whine about the hotfix nerf, Serenity was already pretty OP. And no one is going to legit get the Inferno achievement soon. Someone will get it soon by skipping though. I mean, I skipped nearly all of Act 2 hell, so i guess that makes me non-legit too lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wait until you get to Hell Mode. There were some affix combination we literally corpse ran past. (What that means is, someone runs ahead, dies, you banner to their dead body, and continue to run until you get the next quest objective or door) That is what a lot of people did in Inferno because the affix combinations get more, harder, and stronger haha.
I remember that they wanted to make the game legitimately harder without making BS monsters that were just ungodly strong randomly, like in D2... I'm sure you can think of special trait/immunity combinations that made random D2 monsters a nightmare. Do you think they did their job well?
Spoken like a true man.

I heard that you can die during cutscenes in HC
wut

Well, atleast Athene was honest, he didn't whine about the hotfix nerf, Serenity was already pretty OP.
wut

Would you guys say there's more versatility in builds than in D2? I certainly think so, though I'm sure people will figure out a "best" for each character sooner or later, it seems like there will be more variety which is great.

I'm like level 28 or something in act 3 normal. My friend and I explore practically everything and we're taking our time, so we're getting quite the levels. The past 2 major bosses have been SO EASY. Like, we killed them and I was like "what was supposed to be hard about that?"
Act 2 boss wrecked our **** though, it was fun trying to figure out skill combinations to best kill it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ok so I got my game in the mail and I'm a few hours in. Anybody running Monk that could give me some tips for my build?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm playing Monk :D how far are you? There aren't many "builds" you can do early game, it's later in levels that you start to have some variability. Do you want to do as much DPS as possible or do you want some healing skills for survivability?

Jem.

Smash Master
I think they did their job well I suppose. I think a lot of us are probably forgetting I'm sure it wasn't intended to be able to beat Hell this fast. Although I guess you can say we "exploited" a little bit by corpse running at times because we were undergeared/and i was underleveled at the time. I finished Hell at level 59. we also backed to the AH a couple times because Nightmare gear gets destroyed in Hell, so we dished some gold for a few upgrades.

There are some affix combos that are easy, there are some that make you want to pull your hair out. Partially because everyone doesn't know the proper strategy for them, and partially because some people like to think just because it's Diablo it gives you a reason to stand in every attack when that's false. People who don't dodge things or know affixes get put on blast real quick and you can tell whose good and who isnt mechanically.

Yes, there are a lot of builds! Make sure you turn on elective mode. I've currently been reading and writing down builds other 60 Witch Doctors have been using. The only problem is for nearly every WD build, soul harvest and spirit walk are a requirement because they're so good/essential. Except on 1v1 boss fights, soul harvest isnt useful. But yeah there are a lot of builds. I only used 3 builds all of the way through Hell mainly because everyone was rushing so I didnt have time to try out everything. There are still WD moves I havent even used yet but are including in builds.

P.S: Make sure you turn on Show Advanced Tooltips also in the Gameplay Options. Will show you how much damage your moves actually do.

And ignore Intelligence on weapons even if youre a caster, don't make that mistake. The flat damage makes you deal so much more. Same if you encounter a weapon with +weapon damage, that's a lot better than 30-60 Intelligence I believe. Just equip it and look at the damage on the bottom, not your intelligence. Just for the people new or not high level yet or dont know.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ok so I got my game in the mail and I'm a few hours in. Anybody running Monk that could give me some tips for my build?
Oh, and I strongly recommend Breath of Heaven (the heal) because emergency heals are always nice. You get it at a low level.

I think they did their job well I suppose. I think a lot of us are probably forgetting I'm sure it wasn't intended to be able to beat Hell this fast.
lol that's true. I keep forgetting the game's only a few days old, even less if you count all the server downtime.

Yes, there are a lot of builds! Make sure you turn on elective mode. I've currently been reading and writing down builds other 60 Witch Doctors have been using. The only problem is for nearly every WD build, soul harvest and spirit walk are a requirement because they're so good/essential.
Soul harvest is that thing where you get Intelligence from up to 5 enemies right? I didn't really notice the difference at low level, but I can see how it would ultimately be useful.

I just played my monk by myself a bit, I swear not being in a skype call makes a big difference in lag, but anyway I was having tons of trouble against some dudes in act 3, so I went and changed my weapon, crafted another one of those level 29 bast ard swords, and bought two 4-8 damage (plus other stat) rings from a merchant and my DPS went through the roof, and suddenly everything is easier again. Those rings dude, 4-8 damage is huge.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm playing Monk :D how far are you? There aren't many "builds" you can do early game, it's later in levels that you start to have some variability. Do you want to do as much DPS as possible or do you want some healing skills for survivability?
I think I just assembled the sword after finding the stranger.

But I'm just trying to balance myself out right now, not going for anything in particular.

Top Bottom