• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DASHIZWIZ vs M2K/vs COLBOL/vs CORT/vs CAVEMAN/vs XELIC 7/18/08

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
brawl is the money

people like chillin and cort are doing it for the money

because theyre fat

yes i use personal insults because i cant create a good argument

they suck at life because they like brawl and not melee because they are greedy people +fat

chillindude829

Smash Master
No I actually do think Brawl takes more intelligence. Since everyone is at the same level in terms of techskill (since it's so easy), there has to be something that separates the people who keep winning from the people who don't, right? Maybe you guys would have a better argument if Brawl results were wildly inconsistent or something, but they're very consistent, so if Brawl requires no intelligence (and we already know it requires no tech skill), then why do the same people keep winning? Shouldn't it be a tossup?

ManaLord I'm not fat anymore get with the times son

Eggm

Smash Hero
I have no problem if people play brawl for money.. Its just when they say it takes more intelligence to win in brawl than melee. Btw, I'm not saying brawl takes no intelligence, but saying that it takes more than melee is just naive. It has less mindgames. It has less tech skill but that doesn't mean it has MORE mindgames or takes more intelligence to win. No matter how much tech skill you have you still need good mindgames or you'll get rocked. Otherwise silent wolf would be winning every tournament. Melee has more options for creating mindgames and situations that trick your opponent or trick them into being in a disadvantageous position. Yeah, you do need tech skill to punish harder once you initially trick that opponent in melee and some people may be better than that than others but thats a good thing. Being rewarded for practicing is like.. fun. lol.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Melee has more options regardless of what your doing. Defensive offensive spacing ledge camping projectile camping it has more options for all of that because its not as limited and watered down as brawl is. If you wanted to run away shield a lot camp the ledge and stuff it was harder to do and you had more options to do it with in melee. You could waveland off platforms while running, do invincible ariels off the edge and re grab to make some one back off or Jump off the edge waveland on hit while invincible and go back down. I could go on and on. The only new defensive option in brawl was doing any move out of shield. Which doesn't make up for WDing out of shield or being able to move/space yourself perfect with DDing and wding. Or make up for the watered down edge camping game that holding the ledge longer before you let go took away.

Brawl's a patience fest. Whoever gets impatient most and approaches more loses most of the time. Its a pretty competitive game, but I don't see how it can compare to melee.

chillindude829

Smash Master
I like it because you're not screwed once you get hit or grabbed once, which in Melee leads either to massive damage or death. In Melee there are situations where you can't do anything to survive, regardless of DI etc. In Brawl, airdodging and changing aerial momentum and counterattacking makes it so you don't just get ***** when you get hit once. Of course you still can get *****, but the opponent has to do a lot more in terms of predicting and spacing to follow up on attacks.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
No I actually do think Brawl takes more intelligence. Since everyone is at the same level in terms of techskill (since it's so easy), there has to be something that separates the people who keep winning from the people who don't, right? Maybe you guys would have a better argument if Brawl results were wildly inconsistent or something, but they're very consistent, so if Brawl requires no intelligence (and we already know it requires no tech skill), then why do the same people keep winning? Shouldn't it be a tossup?
Wow, chillin.
2 guys compete on two diffirent push up contests.

The first contest is doing 20 push ups in 1 minutes: The strong guy does 20 push ups no problem. The wimp does 15 barely. The strong guy wins.

The second contest is doing 40 push ups in 1 minute. The strong guy also does 40 push ups in this minute without any problems. The wimp does 10 and is exsasted.

The strong guy always winned. But the second contest showed hom much stronger he really is. The second contest is also more fair.

Pretty bad example, but I think it proves my point.

chillindude829

Smash Master
It would prove your point if you had some kind of evidence that Melee somehow tests intelligence more than Brawl, but that's what you're trying to prove with the example, so no it doesn't really work at all

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
It would prove your point if you had some kind of evidence that Melee somehow tests intelligence more than Brawl, but that's what you're trying to prove with the example, so no it doesn't really work at all
Good point. Everything is a lot faster in Melee so it guess that requires faster thinking, faster reactions, and better planing.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
melee is better for an absurdly simple reason that everyone already knew about in the beginning

THROWING IN BRAWL IS COMPLETELY UNDERPOWERED.

Minus the chaingrabs, the reward of getting a throw off is like 10%. This is akin to getting a throw off in street fighter and doing the damage of a couple jabs. Thanks to an almost nonexistant stuntime, pretty much nothing combos from throw either. Reducing the rockpaperscissor mechanism does nothing but dumb the game down.

I do agree that Melee is the other extreme- where one mistake can potentially lead to death at any given moment. But that's much more awesome than brawl, where you poke and jab until they are at a high %, then finish.

also, one of the best sets ever. DSW's skill level has improved quite a bit from the other vids ive seen, and m2k was having a semi-off day.

soap

Smash Hero
anywayz after a while u dont really have to consciously think to play either game at a high level, u just kinda do it.

and whats with people making all these johnz for m2k and shiz. shiz kept good smart pressure on so he wasnt just getting gimped the whole time which we've grown accustomed to watching m2k do, and shiz was more cautious with his combos cuz he didnt wanna get hit. I thought they both played pretty well.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Lol, at this thread full of babies thinking they know the essence of hiphop.

Nas may be one of the most influential, but he's also among the most hypocritical and dilettantish "artists" alive. Nas just loves to erect controversial topics of conversation he has no real knowledge or progressive opinions of.

Lil' Wayne is talented, but absurdly overrated. But I guess it's easy to enough to be seen as a diamond when you manage to shine in the **** infested quagmire that is mainstream rap music today.

Oh, and Shiz is amazing and stuff.

-Kimosabae
yea and u call us babies to make it seem like you no more. I breath/eat/sleep hip hop

You mention waynes name after sayin hip hop? no thats rap

rap-lies=hip hop

And if kept up with hip hop instead of feeding off of mainstream you would know why i have no repect for nas.
I cant wait to find out who is gonna win the best rapper alive contest that "i think vibe" is hosting. it better be joe budden

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Brawl doesn't require more intelligence. The main thing the game is is spacing. After that you just have to not be an idiot.

All the tech skill made Melee require intelligence. Brawl is just hit people before they hit you, it's to slow to have any mind games when you can just space back and approach again. No combo's just slow the game down.

Smarter people just had more trouble in Melee if they lacked tech skill. Still, Melee's speed and techniques make option. Brawl just has yomi layers on the wake-up and ledge guarding, and there's like... 2 options. That's not deep. Every combo in melee has yomi layers; brawl doesn't even have combos.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
Set was good. I enjoyed it. Close and intense, but since they're both so good it kinda lacked on the OMGWTFBBQ combos unfortunately.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Brawl doesn't take more intelligence then Melee did. You have to rely on thinking in Brawl because you are not rewarded for anything else. Melee you have to think more and you have to think faster because you have more options overall. There are a lot of approaching options and a lot of camping options. You can say the ratio of thinking to tech skill is greater in Brawl but then in Melee but more thinking is required in Melee.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Brawl doesn't take more intelligence then Melee did. You have to rely on thinking in Brawl because you are not rewarded for anything else. Melee you have to think more and you have to think faster because you have more options overall. There are a lot of approaching options and a lot of camping options. You can say the ratio of thinking to tech skill is greater in Brawl but then in Melee but more thinking is required in Melee.
Which makes it less boring and the better competitive game.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I just want to point out the fact that sakurai wanted brawl to be a simple family fun game so I doubt brawl will ever take more intelligence to play at a high level than melee unless you get break through AT (which there obviously aren't yet).

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Chillen:

Last time I checked, diligence was a pretty respectable virtue not only within the competitive arena, but in life in general, not a demerit. So, since when did intelligence become the official monarch of all virtues for it to tyrannize, marginalize and trample all those beneath its rule?

I must have missed that particular memo.

Some players employ intelligence in spades. Some, lean more towards diligence. But the fact of the matter is, good/great players employ suitable amounts of both, in varying degrees.

Just because a player is most intelligent, does not necessarily mean he should be entitled to be the best (at least, not in the context we're speaking). An ideal competitive atmosphere has multiple avenues to explore, so those that lack the experience, diligence, confidence, wit or any of the many other virtues in harmony with competition, can find a method to compete (still would not change the fact that the best players will contain a combination of these merits).

Yes, Brawl is more cerebral than Melee, but that only makes it more competitive in one sense. Virtues like diligence and adroitness are marginalized to the likes of intelligence and patience. In the same sense, it makes the game more competitive than Melee because intelligence and patience are virtues more readily available to the average man than adroitness or diligence.

But, Melee is also more competitive in another sense. Diligence and adroitness have much greater rewards in that game, but intelligence isn't nearly as marginalized in Melee as adroitness is in Brawl. There is a much more convenient balance (at this point, at least). Furthermore, as someone mentioned, many find the rewards of diligence fun (practice makes perfect, production of innovative ideas etc.).

Yes, Melee is less accessible as a result of its higher dexterity requirements, but in this same sense, it's more competitive than Brawl because the quality of competition will be much more filtered, and as a result, more serious.

The set featured in this thread hosts two players boasting ample amounts of various competitive virtues and as such, the set was close.

Also...

Don't wanna derail the thread, just bare with me people...

yea and u call us babies to make it seem like you no more. I breath/eat/sleep hip hop

You mention waynes name after sayin hip hop? no thats rap

rap-lies=hip hop

And if kept up with hip hop instead of feeding off of mainstream you would know why i have no repect for nas.
I cant wait to find out who is gonna win the best rapper alive contest that "i think vibe" is hosting. it better be joe budden
Kid, trust me when I say you have no clue what the h3ll you're talking about.

The "babies" comment wasn't meant to be an insult as much as an innocuous reference to the fact that I'm likely a good deal older than most people in this thread (24).

The constant hair splitting between "Hip Hop" and "Rap" is nonsense conjured up by mostly backpackers and mainstream media looking to perpetuate the strong division between mainstream and underground rap music. "Rap" refers to the action. "Hip Hop" refers to the culture (Not the fantasy culture portrayed by the mainstream, but the actual street culture that consists of, rap, poetry, graffiti, and much more).

Done.

Use them interchangeably or not, just know that you're perpetuating absurdly petty ideals with your statements.

We do agree on one thing though: We don't respect Nas. Did you even read my post? I bet you couldn't even entertain me with a compelling reason you don't respect Nas, you bandwagon junkie. You also accuse me of being absorbed in the mainstream (again, did you read my post?) and you reference Joe Budden. Hypocrite much? If you think the rabbit hole goes as far as Budden, you've got a lot to learn about indy rap music.

-Kimo

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
wow the last place i'd find hip hop heads with brains.
first thing first.

OMG i came twice.
once for m2k and then i went back and only focused on the falco... and came again. good stuff shiz.

as far as hip hop waynes okay he has some talent but it's hard to find for me cause he's just ********. cosign on the nas yapping but being ignorant.

real knowledge on stuff i prefer the likes of lupe, and the roots. other than that generally i get sick / bored / etc of backpack rappers.

p.s. eminem is def my fav minus that crap he put out last praying on this king mathers.
eminem used to be my fav until i realized what a lyrical genius lupe is.
Lupe is def the way hip hop should be.

this threads a mess, we 2/3 brawl debates, 1/3 Hip hop wars, n like 2 people discussing the set
lol

and ssb64 is tic tac toe
wtf haha

Top Bottom