• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

L__

Smash Master
I can't wait to walk into an epic 8,000 square foot room full of sweaty dodgeball crazed smashers.

Linguini

Smash Master
a;right so i want to buy the tickets today or tom.

what airport is best to arrive to?
can anyone house me most likely a couple days before/and after?

sidefx

Smash Champion
were still toying with the idea of friendlies on the first day.. but we definately want to dedicate a time for friendlies.. we are still discussing things over and finding the perfect balance to fit everything in.

as far as WHEN friendlies will be.. im not 100% sure.. since depending on the size of the tournament (turn out of players) we would want to get the tourny done asap and finished on time, and possibly have friendlies after.

all of this is up in the air, we could just scrap it due to the amount of entrants.. but hopefully not.

also @ linguini

www.norcalsmash.com/forums

go to the travel and housing forum, i have a post about the airports and which is better

The King

Smash Ace
As much as I hate to be a downer about the whole thing, here's my take on Dodgeball at the tourney. From the looks of it, it was primarily suggested just in spur-of-the-moment fun, but before people start counting on it, here's the rundown.

For one, there's pretty much no way this will be happening inside the venue. While the doors are open to attendants, there won't be any time at all that the venue and equipment will be cleared out in such a way where space for dodgeball would be feasible. This tournament will be really strapped for time depending on the ## of entrants, and we're going to want as little downtime as possible to ensure everything finishes. There will also just be too many setups, tables, chairs, and people populating this room, and frankly I really don't want to have to worry about liabilities / accidents / damaged property / getting hit in the face with a ****ing ball / all that jazz.

Outside is a different story, but you'll also need to understand that the event is taking place within the Antioch Fairgrounds. Along with the building we've rented for the 3-day stretch, there are also two other smaller buildings in relative proximity that other people use to host their own events. As far as lawn areas go, there is a medium-size field and a large-size field nearby within the Fairground's property bounds, but these are basically rental options with the Fairgrounds themselves and could run us up to $300 / day just to reserve. Frankly this is money that could be much more well-spent towards the tournament, so we opted not to rent it. If another event doesn't rent out the field during the tournament I'm sure they'll let us use it and all that, but... it's the summertime, odds are an event will be renting out the lawn areas for themselves.

Just throwing all that out there.

The King

Smash Ace
Yo so how bad would it be to fly into LA X or would a San Fran airport be better?
Yeahhh...unless you want to take a 400-mile taxicab ride to the venue from LAX, you'll definitely want to fly into SFO or Oakland. =P

The King

Smash Ace
TRAVEL INFORMATION:

Contra Costa County Fair Grounds:
Address: 1201 West 10th Street • Antioch, CA 94509

For more indepth and detailed information, including travel information, addresses and directions to/from Airports, Train/BART stations, and local Points-of-Interest are provided and documented at the following link in our newly-created NorCal Smash Forums:

CLICK HERE FOR MORE TRAVEL INFORMATION
The link provided in the first post covers everything you would need to know concerning travel arrangements, distances of different airports to & from the venue, etc. On average, SFO to the venue would take about 75-90 minutes.

We're still talking with our hotel affiliates concerning pricing and any applicable discounts, but most likely the Single/Double Bed rooms will fall somewhere between $79-$99 a night (not per person, per room), and the suites will cost around $129. We'll make an official announcement once we have the details set in stone.

King Out

M@v

Subarashii!
I want to see some wombo combos in melee, and snakes c4 jump teching off the bottom of smashville in brawl. ^_^

The King

Smash Ace
We could always just be "original and innovative", eliminate brackets for each event altogether, and just have a massive 500+ man Round Robin Pool to decide the winner =P.

The King

Smash Ace
I like the way you think Pocky. We'll probably just get rid of the whole "stage striking or random-selection" of pools as well for time constraints; all matches will be played on Green Greens to keep things moving quickly.

gantrain05

Smash Master
to make it go even faster we could play only green greens, 2 minute timer, 4 player FFA, items on max, with smashballs on. yeah, sounds good to me.

M@v

Subarashii!
I like the way you think Pocky. We'll probably just get rid of the whole "stage striking or random-selection" of pools as well for time constraints; all matches will be played on Green Greens to keep things moving quickly.
WRONG. Play on mario bros. that will end stuff quick =P

Lovage

Smash Hero
there are also two other smaller buildings in relative proximity that other people use to host their own events.
does this mean we can bring 6 TVs and a vcr and host a mini-ssb64 tourny the first day? :(:( a lot of ssb players are coming to this just to play friendlies

Lovage

Smash Hero
dang i keep forgetting the fatal flaw in this tourny...its melee/brawl LOL
i wish it was 3 day tourny...2 melee doubles and 3 melee singles tournaments and crews.

Lovage

Smash Hero
1st day

ssb64 mini tourny
friendlies
money matches
2nd day

melee doubles
melee singles
3rd day

another melee doubles tournament
another melee singles tournament

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
1st, 2nd and 3rd Day:
250 vs. 250 man Draft crew.
(While the rest of the tournament takes place)

EDIT: Crap, that'd be a 1000 stock per crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom