• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I've been absent from this thread due to me being out on vacation in Montreal. I just came back from CT too, so now I just need to get back into Ontario.

There is no chance we can get 2 busses.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I've been absent from this thread due to me being out on vacation in Montreal. I just came back from CT too, so now I just need to get back into Ontario.

There is no chance we can get 2 busses.
1 bus is fine. 2 would be ridiculous lol....2 buses pulling up to Genesis with all the bad *** muther-f*****s from canada and the east coast on it.....chyeah.

But anyway, this bus is an awesome idea. We'll all get better on the trip there xD

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
That's probably something that will be decided by the people on the bus.. lol
If we wanna have a tournament on the bus it's completely possible.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I find it funny that people think the Smash bus is actually going to happen. Just fly there. You will save money especially if you have jobs you could be working in the extra days you would need to take a bus from Coast to Coast.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it IS going to happen and people ARE going to regret it and it WILL be funny for everyone who was smart enough not to bother with it and they WILL smell like 50 guys who have been in a bus for 4 days

Iwan

Smash Ace
that should happen, it would be too awesome for words
The words you just spoke aren't even strong enough for how awesome that would be.

The Pre-Genesis Smash Bus Tourney.

Holymotherofgod.

xD....amazing....on a side note, I have Genesis marked on my calendar. Anyone else? I'm so lame.....hahaha.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Pocky we wont be in the bus continuously. We're staying in hotels overnight. @_@

Why would you ever regret something like this? It will be an amazingly fun trip and I can't wait to do it.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I already have the driver and bus reserved. The busses will be equipped with 110ac power so we don't even need power inversion, just power bars.

Don't worry about being smelly, we're getting lodging sponsorship.

Bakasquad5

Smash Apprentice
Ride the Hurricane Road Artist formerly known as t
I already have the driver and bus reserved. The busses will be equipped with 110ac power so we don't even need power inversion, just power bars.

Don't worry about being smelly, we're getting lodging sponsorship.
this is the awesomest thing i heard all ****ing day, niko i love you and your buds for setting this up (strong homo)

Niko_K

Smash Master
It's really only me and KevinM setting it up, MDZ and CashMooney were the first ones to know (before I even announced it), and are pretty much the first people with guarenteed spots.

KevinM is writing all the sponsorship requests. He has an Enlish Major and is experienced in doing this. I'm doing all the management, and this project is going to kick ***.

WIGI

Smash Champion
im just going to try my hardest to raise the money and be able to go, right now my biggest dilema is finding a way to new york lol

but the friednships and randomness that will happen on this trip.. so good

Road trips are ment for this kind of stuff, only our road trip has a reason.

Tero.

Smash Champion
How so? 50 bucks per person to go on the smash bus. Plus cost of food. I checked plane prices not too long ago and round trip I'd be spending 7-800.

You wont sleep for free in those hotels.

lol i so wanna be on this fukcin smash bus.

pockyD

Smash Legend
How so? 50 bucks per person to go on the smash bus. Plus cost of food. I checked plane prices not too long ago and round trip I'd be spending 7-800.
isn't the posted price for the bus already $300-400? add hotel costs if you want

food costs can be ignored, unless you don't eat at home and only eat when you're on the road

checked plane prices 10 seconds ago, and you can get here from most EC cities for 400 round trip... and that price will surely dip in the weeks to come

plus that's 8 days you could have spent working; assuming you have a 20-hour a week job that pays $6 an hour (i have no idea what min wage is these days, and this is a ludicrously low estimate on both wages and hours), that's $192

11 straight days smashing all day sure SOUNDS epic... but it also sounds extremely boring, especially with 8 of those days on a bus hanging around people who probably all smell like the inside of a sock

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah when you are on the bus I will be working making money. I will be playing smash against east coast's finest without bumpy road johns. I will enjoy fresh air, my own bed, home cooked cheap delicious meals. The smell of things that aren't people who have been on a bus for days. And I will take my flight and end up spending less cash than all of you.

sidefx

Smash Champion
flight tickets are going down like crazy... i just booked my flight to london round trip non stop for 550..

just keep checking if you want to fly, and dont have the money for they tickets, they will be going down like mad..

also, smash bus sounds crazy, i hope everything works out for you guys, sounds like its being planned very nicely

Corigames

Smash Hero
isn't the posted price for the bus already $300-400? add hotel costs if you want
We were told the sponsors would pay for hotel bills.

food costs can be ignored
No they can't... I enjoy eating as well as require it. I figure anyone can live off $10 a day for food. $5 for a morning meal and $5 for an evening meal.

checked plane prices 10 seconds ago, and you can get here from most EC cities for 400 round trip... and that price will surely dip in the weeks to come
Why would prices go down as you get closer to the deadline? Is some event happening to drop them in the upcoming weeks?

plus that's 8 days you could have spent working
You know it's not 8 days for everyone. A lot of people are getting on the bus at points farther in the journey.

11 straight days smashing all day sure SOUNDS epic... but it also sounds extremely boring,
Gaming college, semester straight of getting up, going to school, playing smash, going to classes, and playing smash, going home, playing smash, hanging out at friends houses to play smash.

Smash 24/7 isn't boring. Yes, you do need to take breaks, but that's what sleeping is for.

especially with 8 of those days on a bus hanging around people who probably all smell like the inside of a sock
If people don't know how to properly apply deodorant and they are on a cross country road trip without their mommies, they have no business leaving home.

And I will take my flight and end up spending less cash than all of you.
Then do that. You don't need to tell us. If you want to write a blog about it, go do so.

pockyD

Smash Legend
We were told the sponsors would pay for hotel bills.
You were also JUST told that letters to sponsors haven't even been written yet. Also, why would they possibly do that anyway?

No they can't... I enjoy eating as well as require it. I figure anyone can live off $10 a day for food. $5 for a morning meal and $5 for an evening meal.
why did you just cut out half of that one sentence? are you blind in your right eye or something?

Why would prices go down as you get closer to the deadline? Is some event happening to drop them in the upcoming weeks?
do you not know how plane tickets work? airlines periodically release specials (at LEAST once per month covering this route), and the "real" prices don't start going up until 2-3 weeks before

You know it's not 8 days for everyone. A lot of people are getting on the bus at points farther in the journey.
then their plane tickets should cost less, while bus costs stay the same

Gaming college, semester straight of getting up, going to school, playing smash, going to classes, and playing smash, going home, playing smash, hanging out at friends houses to play smash.

Smash 24/7 isn't boring. Yes, you do need to take breaks, but that's what sleeping is for.
yeah, enjoy doing it sitting in a bus seat

If people don't know how to properly apply deodorant and they are on a cross country road trip without their mommies, they have no business leaving home.
...and yet those are the people you will see taking the bus. Anyone who is reasonable knows that it's going to be a painful process, leaving only the people who haven't bothered to think things like that through on the bus (some cool unintentional alliteration btw)

Then do that. You don't need to tell us. If you want to write a blog about it, go do so.
I think if people are trying to take the bus in an effort to save money, someone making a post about a cheaper way to travel is very, very important to them.

Trust me, I want the bus to happen, and for everyone to ***** their *** off when they're leaving the tournament to go spend 4 more days on a bus

WIGI

Smash Champion
ok people, if you think this bus is stupid, DON"T COME. i don;t need to hear people ramble abotu how smelly we will be by showering at the hotelse every night, or abotu how it be cheaper to fly, obviosly the people whoia re going on the bus DO NOT CARE. we know how things are going to be on the bus, sure we will be bored sumtimes. maybey we will acualy hold conversations with people, get to know eachother.

and it does nto ahve to be smash 24/7, we plan to bring movies and otehr games and who knows maybey evn board games or cards or somthing.

point is, the people taking the bus know that its a long ride ect ect ect, if you think its stupid, we really don't need to hear it, i personaly think i would regret not going on it, its pretty much my last chance to do somthing this crazy and bizarre before i ahve to get a career and hosue ect. let us have our fun

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Caotic keeps telling me that prices are going to keep dropping for plane tickets. |

STA Travel is offering RT to Los Angeles for $999. TOO BAD ITS MARCH ONLY!

But is good to see flight prices are plummeting all over the place. They've been at their lowest since 1992 and continue to keep plummeting. Once Delta launches Sydney-LAX, prices will stay low.

It would be worth searching for flights to SFO but obviously that'll cost a bit more. It might be worth it though if you want to skip LA all together.
So I might sit tight and keep checking plane ticket prices every day.

As for the plan when I get to America.

There's multiple options:

A) Fly to LAX then hitch ride from SoCal Smashers to go up to NorCal and split the gas. There's probably going to be 100 SoCalians going up to NorCal for the event, so chances are Aussies can get rides. I know I'll be getting rides without even asking, haha. Splitting gas that far is usually $20USD one way, if a car is full. Driving straight through the I-5 takes about 8 hours. Taking the sexy California-101 will be double that, but worth its fun in sights.

B) Catch the Greyhound/similar ghetto bus to San Francisco. One way is usually about $30USD.

C) Flying from LAX to SFO is most convenient way to get there. Usually Virgin Atlantic is the cheapest, but check Yahoo Farechase - you could find something cheaper. One way between LAX and SFO is usally $70USD. The flight takes about an hour.

SFO may not be the cheapest airport to Genesis either. You might want to try flying to Oakland International (the closest) or San Jose International (not recommended due to distance). You might even not need to fly out of LAX, as there are genrally cheaper airports in SoCal (Long Beach/John Wayne/Ontario etc.)

I know way too much about traveling.
I'm glad Caotic knows America for me :)

Alternatively, I can look for flights to NYC so I can get on the smashbus.
Everybody is saying "OMG 8 days on a bus with 50 smelly guys" but for the OOCers, I think that since we came to America to play smash, we oughta be playing it as much as we can while we're there.

I want somebody to train my Melee Falco and Brawl Diddy <3

I think I'm torn between the smashbus and attempting to make a holiday out of my time in America and seeing the sights there instead of having smash on the brain 24/7

EDIT:
Also, what WIGI said. This is the last time I think I'd ever be involved in something that crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom