• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
anytime you're bored on the smash bus you can try to sleep, or look out the window for a while...or just bring a ds or psp. i think the real issue there is whether or not it actually happens. niko definitely sounds dedicated to it, but the more complicated something is, the more places it can go wrong.

gaming college sounds better than the regular kind...

Frames

DI
honestly i dont think its a matter of whether or not it will happen seems like they have the bus

one thing i was wondering though is if 50 people dont sign up are u stuck with the rest of the bill??

Tink

Smash Hero
ooooh............smash bus o_0....you guys know the route your taking? are you going to be picking up people along the way? *dont feel like reading 50 pages to find out <_< *

i wanna be the best melee player on the smashbus =)...who else is going that thinks they can take this o_0!?

pockyD

Smash Legend
ok people, if you think this bus is stupid, DON"T COME. i don;t need to hear people ramble abotu how smelly we will be by showering at the hotelse every night, or abotu how it be cheaper to fly, obviosly the people whoia re going on the bus DO NOT CARE. we know how things are going to be on the bus, sure we will be bored sumtimes. maybey we will acualy hold conversations with people, get to know eachother.

and it does nto ahve to be smash 24/7, we plan to bring movies and otehr games and who knows maybey evn board games or cards or somthing.

point is, the people taking the bus know that its a long ride ect ect ect, if you think its stupid, we really don't need to hear it, i personaly think i would regret not going on it, its pretty much my last chance to do somthing this crazy and bizarre before i ahve to get a career and hosue ect. let us have our fun
judging from the people arguing against me, people have NO IDEA what they're signing up for; most people are just thinking "11 days of smash? KICK ***!!!!"

people think it's cheaper... that's WRONG. I'm trying to save them money... this is the most important thing. If you're going for the "experience", I still think that's stupid, but the experience WILL be what you make of it. However, if you're trying to save money, this is NOT the way, and I don't want people going home having to eat dry ramen for the next 4 weeks because they can't even afford to boil water

people think they'll still be wanting to smash for 3 days straight after smashing for four... for most people, that's WRONG. I'm trying to salvage their actual tournament experience instead of letting them sacrifice it for a 4-day bumpy, headache-inducing moving smashfest with what amounts to being people that already live near them

People think it won't smell bad... that's WRONG. You can't police people and force them to clean up after themselves, and unfortunately, most people won't. People in close quarters WILL end up smelling; even if you shower in the morning, after 8 hours of riding on a bus with multiple TVs going, driving across the middle of the USA in the dead of summer, you WILL smell bad. For a day or two (i.e. at any smash tournament, really) it's bearable, but it will be less so when you are enduring it for 11 days, especially when you know exactly where it's coming from

and dear god man, are you typing with gloves on? firefox has the red squigglies under misspelled words and your entire post is red underlined

Corigames

Smash Hero
You were also JUST told that letters to sponsors haven't even been written yet. Also, why would they possibly do that anyway?
I didn't see that, I'm blind in my right eye.
why did you just cut out half of that one sentence? are you blind in your right eye or something?
Well now you are making fun of me for it.
do you not know how plane tickets work? airlines periodically release specials (at LEAST once per month covering this route), and the "real" prices don't start going up until 2-3 weeks before
:/
No, I didn't know that actually. Thanks.
then their plane tickets should cost less, while bus costs stay the same
Why would it cost less for a difference of a day or two between flights? I don't think it makes that big of a difference... then again, I could just be wrong again.
yeah, enjoy doing it sitting in a bus seat
I'll try.
...and yet those are the people you will see taking the bus.
So the degree of odor expended from a person is dependent on the mode of transportation they use regardless of personal hygiene practices?
What?
Anyone who is reasonable knows that it's going to be a painful process, leaving only the people who haven't bothered to think things like that through on the bus
I think I have weighed the decisions to the best of my understanding against each other. It's just becoming more apparent that I don't know as much about booking a flight.

This still doesn't cover transportation to and from both airports I would have to use and money spent on housing. If everything the bus claims to do happens (note how I said "claims"), then we will be covered on a lot of things. Besides, do you not think you are exaggerating the hardship of the ordeal just a little?
(some cool unintentional alliteration btw)
It was.
I think if people are trying to take the bus in an effort to save money, someone making a post about a cheaper way to travel is very, very important to them.
Yes, but the dedication to deliberately mocking them is very unnecessary.

Also, it may be harder for some of us to get cheap flights due to location whereas other people have it easier. I think people are under much different circumstances when you go from state to state let alone different regions of the US.
Trust me, I want the bus to happen, and for everyone to ***** their *** off when they're leaving the tournament to go spend 4 more days on a bus
Ok. Then I thank your support, even if it is somewhat sarcastic.

most people are just thinking "11 days of smash? KICK ***!!!!"
Yes, and?
Have you done 11 days of smash? Like I said, I did a full semester of smash, even if it wasn't for competitive reasons, you would still figure that would get old after a while. I don't actually think everyone is going to be playing smash the whole way to and from either. I mean, why can't we play some Mario Kart DD or something like that?

However, if you're trying to save money, this is NOT the way, and I don't want people going home having to eat dry ramen for the next 4 weeks because they can't even afford to boil water
Some of us already do that though. Not everyone here was born with a silver spoon in their mouth and gets free hand-outs from mommy and daddy at every turn. I work a job. I pay bills. I buy food. I care for a dog. There are many things that my money and time is dependent on and when considering my options I figured the bus would be the best option for the most fun and cost. If that opinion changes before it's time to go to the tournament, then you bet I'll change my plans around.

People think it won't smell bad... that's WRONG. You can't police people and force them to clean up after themselves, and unfortunately, most people won't. People in close quarters WILL end up smelling; even if you shower in the morning, after 8 hours of riding on a bus with multiple TVs going, driving across the middle of the USA in the dead of summer, you WILL smell bad. For a day or two (i.e. at any smash tournament, really) it's bearable, but it will be less so when you are enduring it for 11 days, especially when you know exactly where it's coming from
Do you just have a bad experience with road trips or something that you need to get out?

and dear god man, are you typing with gloves on? firefox has the red squigglies under misspelled words and your entire post is red underlined
It angers me frequently. (BTW, you have a squiggle under "squigglies")

**** I typed a whole lot. Sorry. Thought I would address some things and ended up making a wall. My bad.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Why would it cost less for a difference of a day or two between flights? I don't think it makes that big of a difference... then again, I could just be wrong again.
distance. shorter distance generally = more frequent flights = cheaper tickets

So the degree of odor expended from a person is dependent on the mode of transportation they use regardless of personal hygiene practices?
What?
No, you'll just notice it more when you're forced to be in tight quarters with yourself/them. Dirty people are dirty anywhere, but in a wide open area, it's easy to avoid

This still doesn't cover transportation to and from both airports I would have to use and money spent on housing. If everything the bus claims to do happens (note how I said "claims"), then we will be covered on a lot of things. Besides, do you not think you are exaggerating the hardship of the ordeal just a little?
transportation to/from airports is maybe $5 tops each way?

money spent on housing is money spent on housing, regardless... also, going with the bus almost guarantees that you won't get local housing because your group is too big (though really I'm guessing almost nobody will get local (free) housing anyway)

plus the hotel costs along the way (someone still needs to explain to me why hotels would give you free rooms... i can see discounts maybe, but that's still $10/person/night at the very least)

Yes, but the dedication to deliberately mocking them is very unnecessary.
people don't take you seriously if you put a smiley face after a sentence

:laugh:

Also, it may be harder for some of us to get cheap flights due to location whereas other people have it easier. I think people are under much different circumstances when you go from state to state let alone different regions of the US.
sure, if you live in the northwest corner of georgia or something

since you've already admitted to not knowing much about flying, here's a friendly reminder that flights with transfers don't strictly cost more just because you're taking up seats on two different flights. When you're traveling within a single airline, all they care about is start point and destination (assuming they allow that path at all; i.e. if you're flying LA to SF, they won't ask you to transfer in NYC to begin with, but if they did, it would be of comparable cost to a direct flight)

Yes, and?
Have you done 11 days of smash? Like I said, I did a full semester of smash, even if it wasn't for competitive reasons, you would still figure that would get old after a while. I don't actually think everyone is going to be playing smash the whole way to and from either. I mean, why can't we play some Mario Kart DD or something like that?
...because it's nothing you can't do while NOT being trapped on a bus

seriously, grab a few friends, have a few days of smashfest, then go to the airport, bring your DS, and play there, sleep on the plane, and you get much the same result with much less hassle and less cost.

Some of us already do that though. Not everyone here was born with a silver spoon in their mouth and gets free hand-outs from mommy and daddy at every turn. I work a job. I pay bills. I buy food. I care for a dog. There are many things that my money and time is dependent on and when considering my options I figured the bus would be the best option for the most fun and cost. If that opinion changes before it's time to go to the tournament, then you bet I'll change my plans around.
all of that makes it sound pretty irresponsible that you're leaving home for 11 days straight

if you're taking 8 days off in a row, I find it pretty hard to believe you're working a relevant job

...and really, anyone who DOES live in the real world and actually works for their own livelihood would completely be understanding the whole opportunity cost thing

Do you just have a bad experience with road trips or something that you need to get out?
I have had plenty of "bad" experience with overcrowded smash events

It angers me frequently. (BTW, you have a squiggle under "squigglies")
"squigglies" isn't a real word

**** I typed a whole lot. Sorry. Thought I would address some things and ended up making a wall. My bad.
yeah

Corigames

Smash Hero
sure, if you live in the northwest corner of georgia or something
*cough*
West Virginia :mad:
*cough*
(And no, I didn't ignore the rest of your post. I took it all in an analized it. I just wanted to point out I live in bumble **** nowhereville)

WIGI

Smash Champion
i really don't care that im a bad typer lol, people havecome to except it. and i suck at spelling lol.

as for gloves? oh..you emans these big puffy white ones? yeah...and a green hat too. big L on it.

"dear strong bad, how do you type with boxing gloves on?"

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
honestly i dont think its a matter of whether or not it will happen seems like they have the bus

one thing i was wondering though is if 50 people dont sign up are u stuck with the rest of the bill??
Probably.
Except getting the 50 people really doesn't seem like a problem. I can already name about 10 people from Massachusetts alone who want to go.

ooooh............smash bus o_0....you guys know the route your taking? are you going to be picking up people along the way? *dont feel like reading 50 pages to find out <_< *

i wanna be the best melee player on the smashbus =)...who else is going that thinks they can take this o_0!?
KDJ is going to take it, probably. Good game Tink.

And yes we're picking people up along the way.
I believe the projected route is NYC -> Florida -> Texas -> SoCal -> NorCal.

Pocky's *****ing
Oh shut up already will you?
We'll be having a ****ing great time. You don't realize that smashers can have fun in groups doing things OTHER THAN SMASH.
Hell I'm sure at points when we stop in cities not everyone will decide "you know, lets stay inside the hotel and play smash instead of going around the exploring this place I've never been before"

How so? 50 bucks per person to go on the smash bus. Plus cost of food. I checked plane prices not too long ago and round trip I'd be spending 7-800.
LOL 50 A PERSON WOULD BE ****.
It's $340 a person without any sponsors.

You wont sleep for free in those hotels.

lol i so wanna be on this fukcin smash bus.
Yeah, we will be.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Me and SWAT should definitely have spots on the bus since we're obviously from NYC lol. Anyway, I'll be the best player on the bus because I'll be playing Super Nintendo like crazy lol.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
We'll let everyone know what will be happening as far as pre-registering goes when we have that all set up.
Until then nobody except me, cash mooney, niko k, and kevinm have guaranteed spots on the bus.

Don't worry though there will be at least a week in advance that we start telling people when we will start pre-registering sign ups, and within a few weeks after the 50 people will be decided. There is also the possibility that more than 50 people will be accepted.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Me and SWAT should definitely have spots on the bus since we're obviously from NYC lol. Anyway, I'll be the best player on the bus because I'll be playing Super Nintendo like crazy lol.
I do hope in the days on this bus, we get in those well needed speed runs for various nintendo games. You can teach me ones I don't know yet, :)

Out of country people should also get reserved seats.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Oh shut up already will you?
We'll be having a ****ing great time. You don't realize that smashers can have fun in groups doing things OTHER THAN SMASH.
Hell I'm sure at points when we stop in cities not everyone will decide "you know, lets stay inside the hotel and play smash instead of going around the exploring this place I've never been before"
i just want everyone who's signing up to know what they're getting into

it's no fun to laugh at someone who's been tricked; it's much more fun to laugh at someone who just made a dumb decision anyway

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
i just want everyone who's signing up to know what they're getting into

it's no fun to laugh at someone who's been tricked; it's much more fun to laugh at someone who just made a dumb decision anyway
Yes you don't like the idea of the bus, we get that.

If you want to inform people about what is cheaper, feel free.
Though you don't have to bring down the idea of the bus and calling it a dumb decision to go on it.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
We haven't discussed who gets what and for what reason, NL

When the pre-registering is up and ready just sign up for it.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
You sure about that? One bump on the trip and the SNES will freeze...

Like at Spawn's tournament >_>

WIGI

Smash Champion
hang the system under a table or a seat with bunje chords with just a LITTLE SLACK but enough taht it wont hit the chair, but still absorb some of the bouncing. should remain fairly stable if the buss hits a few bumps

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm waiting for the first reference to calling it the short bus or something.

I have an N64 with 4 controllers and a **** load of games that still functions perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom