• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide CunningKitsune's Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud

BIG C

Smash Master
Link some better ones, not that this isn't a little outdated but most of the information is still helpful for beginning players, besides smash isn't a game you can improve in by reading, you have to play it. This guide was great for me when I first started out several years ago.
rofl i know cunning like personally I'm like the first person outside his crew he played against. as he came over my friend ryan's house and whooped on me.

and it was sarcasm and pretty much an ongoing joke between his friends to make fun of his guide for no reason.

Ice`

Smash Rookie
I read most of it and i have
One word: Phenominal
and thanks for making it....i guess thats 5 words, but still !

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
It has occurred to me that today, May 17, 2009, marks three years since this work was last updated. Obviously, the game that we all know and love has changed dramatically since then, in terms of everything from tournament-legal stages to views on character match-ups to how Fox himself is played. In light of this fact, and the fact that Melee continues on as a viable competitive entity to this day, I have decided to begin work on another update to this guide for the benefit of all current and future Melee players, Fox mains and otherwise. This update will incorporate the plethora of knowledge which I have obtained in those three years since the previous writing, and in many ways certain sections (especially the new additions that I have planned) will be far more cerebral, more abstract, if you will, than as the guide currently stands. I will keep those interested informed via either this or subsequent posts as to the completion status of the update. Please be aware that I am not making any promises as to strict deadlines or dates of completion; however, I will say that I would (ideally) like to finish this update before the end of this summer (that is, near the end of August).

Thank you to all of my supporters and readers, and I hope to deliver an end product that is worthy of the attention that all of you have given me over the years.

5/18/09: Updated introduction, reordered character match-ups section according to final tier list
5/20/09: Updated first third of attacks section
5/24/09: Updated second third of attacks section
5/25/09: Updated remainder of attacks and physics sections

EWC

Smash Ace
That's like finding out that God decided to update the Bible. I really look forward to reading it.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Progress Report and Request for Assistance

As of today, June 5, 2009, progress on the update stands at roughly 40% with the recent completion of the first major section of the "Advanced Techniques" portion.

As the update draws nearer to completion, I would like to request a bit of assistance from any souls generous enough to provide it. While the "References" section of the guide as it stands contains a good deal of useful links and information, it nevertheless has also suffered the ravages of time. As such, I am asking for help in tracking down any particularly useful or important links that merit a position in that section. A simple PM with the suggested link will suffice. If I approve this link for inclusion, your name will be included in the final section of the guide crediting you for your much-appreciated contribution. Thank you in advance for any assistance in this regard.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
It has occurred to me that today, May 17, 2009, marks three years since this work was last updated. Obviously, the game that we all know and love has changed dramatically since then, in terms of everything from tournament-legal stages to views on character match-ups to how Fox himself is played. In light of this fact, and the fact that Melee continues on as a viable competitive entity to this day, I have decided to begin work on another update to this guide for the benefit of all current and future Melee players, Fox mains and otherwise. This update will incorporate the plethora of knowledge which I have obtained in those three years since the previous writing, and in many ways certain sections (especially the new additions that I have planned) will be far more cerebral, more abstract, if you will, than as the guide currently stands. I will keep those interested informed via either this or subsequent posts as to the completion status of the update. Please be aware that I am not making any promises as to strict deadlines or dates of completion; however, I will say that I would (ideally) like to finish this update before the end of this summer (that is, near the end of August).

Thank you to all of my supporters and readers, and I hope to deliver an end product that is worthy of the attention that all of you have given me over the years.

5/18/09: Updated introduction, reordered character match-ups section according to final tier list
5/20/09: Updated first third of attacks section
5/24/09: Updated second third of attacks section
5/25/09: Updated remainder of attacks and physics sections
Wow, it is the 11th of June right now. And, when I read this? I nearly cried. Since my birthday was the 26th of May, it was (almost) like a huge gift to me. >_> Even though CK knows me from like... two PMs, or something, cause I'm a no name. XD But, still.

Which brings me to my next quote:

That's like finding out that God decided to update the Bible. I really look forward to reading it.
Honestly, I think it's more like God sitting down one day, and going, "Huh. That's not how things used to be. I'mma go fix that."

So, really, more like God updating the 10 Commandments.

While looking sexy.

The guide should be three words long:

"Do stuff win."
That's not true. If that were true, then Fox would be like... Double Top Tier. Forever.

Like, only Fox could beat Fox. And, that's not true. Pichu has beaten Fox before. Large amounts of ability go into being a good Fox. 'Stuff' isn't enough to **** face. Trust me. I can do stuff. But, the pros still destroy me with whomever they want. Examples include: Dark beating my face in with his Pichu and Puff; KDJ beating me up with <character name here>; M2K beating me with Marth (he played me once, but I assume he could have used anyone); Just cause I do stuff as Fox, doesn't mean I win. "Do stuff, be perfect, win" is more accurate... but, then, you need a guide on perfection. Which would loop us back top to my quote of CK.

Oh shi- that's good stuff.

Thusly, I'd like to sum this whole thing up as follows:

CK: You are made of win. So much win, in fact, that they should hand you out as a prize in the Olympics.

ECW: lolz.

Rubyiris: What are you thinking?

Thank you for your time.

Please go back to reading the guide. It's way better than this post.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Progress Report

I have recently completed revising the entirety of the original "Improving Your Game" section; as such, I would peg current progress at something around 45%. However, this section may end up getting the majority of brand-new material as I have slated new additions to the guide titled The Power of Spacing and Stage Control and Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology, two sections with some often-abstract thinking that I nevertheless believe will interest a great deal of players, Fox mains and otherwise.

With that said, I will continue work on the update and likewise will keep all of you abreast as to its progress.

BunBun

Smash Master
I have recently completed revising the entirety of the original "Improving Your Game" section; as such, I would peg current progress at something around 45%. However, this section may end up getting the majority of brand-new material as I have slated new additions to the guide titled The Power of Spacing and Stage Control and Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology, two sections with some often-abstract thinking that I nevertheless believe will interest a great deal of players, Fox mains and otherwise.

With that said, I will continue work on the update and likewise will keep all of you abreast as to its progress.

You have to include an "option canceling" section.

Oh, and the fox matchup against BigC's cat is terrible. no joke.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Update Progressing Nicely

The new additions, "The Power of Spacing and Stage Control" and "Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology" are now complete. They represent approximately 24 paragraphs of new material for your reading pleasure. All that remains is touching up the section on the shine, character match-ups, references, and final words.

Once again, I appreciate all of the positive feedback that I have received over the years, and I very much hope to deliver a product worthy of this admiration.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The original of this guide was one of the things that got me into competitive smash, and THE force behind my character selection.

Great guide.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The new additions, "The Power of Spacing and Stage Control" and "Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology" are now complete. They represent approximately 24 paragraphs of new material for your reading pleasure. All that remains is touching up the section on the shine, character match-ups, references, and final words.

Once again, I appreciate all of the positive feedback that I have received over the years, and I very much hope to deliver a product worthy of this admiration.
What part of the guide do those new paragraphs fall under? I can't find them anywhere.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
I suppose that I should have mentioned that I will be updating the actual online copy of the guide all at once. For the time being, the updated guide itself resides only on my computer. Sit tight, Smashers; it will arrive in due time.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Update in the Final Stages

I have finished updating the major section on the shine, largely focusing on the role of the infinites (or perhaps the lack thereof) in the modern Fox's metagame.

Only one major section remains to be updated, and that is the character match-ups. I will do my utmost best to cater these to the current metagame while at the same time not sacrificing very much (if any) previous content.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Progress Report

I have completed the character match-ups for both the Top and High tiers; this represents the bulk of the remainder of the update, so you can expect the finished product quite soon. With this in mind, I would like to reiterate that I am still looking for helpful links to add to the References section. If you have anything at all to contribute, feel free to PM me with the link; you will be credited in the final section of the guide if I approve your contribution for inclusion.

Update, 8/14: Middle Tier character match-ups completed.

Top Bottom