• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crushing the Competitive Spirit

Fletch

Smash Master
you mean grammar idiots or idiots in general?
i try to use correct grammar but i don't really care for capitalization and sentence structure unless i actually want somebody to read my post lol.

go go 700th post >.>
I meant idiots in general, although typing posts with no punctuation/capitalization/sense of the English language is usually indicative that you are not a very bright poster.

this is wonderful LOL
Gimpy is an exception.

flizzz

Smash Cadet
wow it amuses me to see how tough people can be over MESSAGE BOARDS but yeah as i said before im done this stupidity contest. and to add to the topic i like mithx's way of puting things

if your gonna play gaylee then play gaylee
if your gonna play godly brawl play godly brawl

but at the end of the day just stop complaining and smash

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
This may seem stupid, but in brawl you have to work to win as well, just in a different (and worse) way. It's because of the lack of techs actually. Players are more even with each other cause they can't boost their skill with techs, so they have to get the win some other way. Try as hard as you can I guess.

Melee had techs and combos, Brawl has luck and mindgames.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Very well written post Jam. I wish I could write like that :).

I play both games from time to time. We have monthly tournaments where we used to play Melee but switched to Brawl soon after its release. I was never able to reach top ranks in the Melee time but rose to first place in Brawl (in my state). Even after reaching the top, the game was still boring. The main reason I go to these monthlies is to play Melee friendlies with Brawl Singles as a side event. That's how much I dislike Brawl.

I enjoyed getting ***** in Melee but not destroying others in Brawl. It's as though my brain is oozing out of my ears while playing such a laid back game. Jam explained in detail well-written examples on how Brawl is crushing the competitive spirit. Who cares if the community is growing if all the people who are joining are whiny scrubs? I'd rather keep the same 30 people and play Melee rather than have 300 scrubs join in and play slow-mo with me.

I was quite disappointed when I saw that people were actually debating about whether Metaknight should be banned or not. We've fallen into such a situation where we are considering the removal of a character. This never happened in Melee! It's a sign that our community is going downhill.

If newer people are not willing to learn new techs, they should not be able to remain at the same level as an average smasher.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
You should rethink your post. You seem to be contradicting yourself at least once.

I do agree that Melee requires more technical skill (obviously) than Brawl and that Melee Pros >>> Melee Scrubs whereas Brawl Pros > Brawl Scrubs. But I prefer Brawl only because it requires more thought to win. Sure at the Pro Level in Melee it was all about mindgaming your opponent because each player had ridiculous technical skill, but at most tournaments and casual play, the "better" player was the one who could hit the buttons faster. Now, even for scrub players: you think more, you win more. Who'da thought?

Smash was not designed to appeal to only the Pros. Get over it.
I didn't contradict myself in my post.
Also.lol at it takes more thought to win at Brawl then it does Melee. lulz
I have hopes for Brawl and I'll see if it gets anywhere but clearly More thought, More tech skill= Melee.
The better player wasn't the one who could hit the buttons faster. the better player was the one with better mindgames.
"You should rethink your post. You seem to be contradicting yourself at least once."

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Agreed.

And thank you. *bows*

It is banned in just about every other part of the forum...but here, it doesn't seem to be problematic. I dunno.

Yes, you do fail. I could point out many more errors in that post, and I see 7 errors in this one (unless I counted wrong).

I don't get that last comment entirely, but I assume that's supposed to imply that it's completely inconsequential to fail at grammar and spelling. It's not. Take the time to proofread, it makes you look 10x more intelligent, if not more.
Dude.....Have my babies D:

Cinder

Smash Master
wow it amuses me to see how tough people can be over MESSAGE BOARDS but yeah as i said before im done this stupidity contest. and to add to the topic i like mithx's way of puting things

if your gonna play Godly Melee then play Godly Melee
if your gonna play the worthless piece of **** brawl play the worthless piece of **** brawl

but at the end of the day just stop complaining and smash
Fix'd...

Seriously, the only people that talk trash about Melee like that are butthurt little Brawl***s that either never played Melee or made ******** chimps look good at it...

Mith_

Smash Champion
Fix'd...

Seriously, the only people that talk trash about Melee like that are butthurt little Brawl***s that either never played Melee or made ******** chimps look good at it...
I've never played Melee the way you probably do, that's why I don't have an opinion about it.
How can one say they like Brawl better when they've never played Melee you know?

Discolicious

Smash Apprentice
Lol at more thought being required in brawl than in melee. You just have a lot more time to think in the 14 seconds between attacks in brawl.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
oh man, today, man yo guys, i, like my spirit, my competitive spirit, is just crushed, this person kept playing mk and i couldn't win with my character ganon, like WTH! he's been playing for only 2 days! im so crushed
This thread is crushing the competitive spirit lulz!

chaddd

Smash Lord
Very, very well put, sir. You might not be reading this, but you are the type of person that inspires others, and people like you are few and far between. Overcoming simply to prove to yourself you can is a trait of greatness, and players like yourself are exactly what this community needs more of.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Meh, I disagree with this on many levels, and I feel that many of your stances are simply due to the negative mindset you have towards the game. And I also disagree with people claiming that Melee has more thought (although I'm not saying Brawl has more than Melee, either). Frankly, I find it silly that this debate still exists, and that people still compare Brawl to Melee. They are two different games. You don't have to like both.

-West Coast Wes-

Smash Journeyman
These are my thoughts.

It is natural for us to feel sad and angry about brawl, it is a sequel, or if u don't think it is, you cannot deny the fact that it is a game in a series, that until now, was perfect (yes 64 is deep, wonderful and responsive). I guess the big thing for me is that I think melee could be even better, and to see that not happen is really painful for me, especially when game communities like Street Fighter's are getting support from Capcom -- Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD.

Its like people who are into Scandinavian death metal versus people who like Hip Hop. The death metal crowd are fewer, yet more passionate. Those who like hip hop seem to listen casually, their favorites changing from day to day, yet the death metal fan would give his right hand for the next Wintersun album, or rather would give a limb for the progression of the genre.

Yes this is a generalization, but that is ok, what is important here is that, regardless of what it is we are fighting for, our outcry has been ill received. For those of us who are sensitive and passionate, this simple fact acts as reminder or symbol of life's greater disappointments.

Video games, unlike movies and novels are still so new, and while some are worthy of the praise and study that the latter two receive, the culture that surrounds them is scattered and the levels of appreciation is not so clear.

I think that perhaps we have made a mistake to hate brawl, instead what we should be saying is that we love melee and what makes it so great, and we are deeply hurt that it's qualities are not being acknowledged. I certainly am.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
SamuraiPanda said:
Meh, I disagree with this on many levels, and I feel that many of your stances are simply due to the negative mindset you have towards the game.
The question here is, how do you think his mindset got that way?

And I also disagree with people claiming that Melee has more thought (although I'm not saying Brawl has more than Melee, either).
So what, you're trying to claim they require exactly the same amount of thought? That can't be true, as later in your post...

They are two different games.
So clearly they can't require the same amount of thought. So, you actually do think Brawl has more depth than Melee, and you were just trying to cover your ***.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Blackshadow: No, but the amount of thought you put in isn't measurable, but they are obviously close. And it's impossible to distinguish which takes more thought.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you, but it feels good to waveshine. It feels good to ledgehop a double laser. It feels good to Wobble. It feels good to Ken Combo or float cancel. I saw a mach the other day where DSF moonwalked with C. Falcon into a grab. I replayed that moment like 20 times, because it was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen. What does Brawl offer that can even come close to comparing with that?
Wi-fi.

On another note, I'd just like to make a little comment on this.

Brawl has a more "fairness" involved gameplay. While there are chaingrabs (for God knows why), infinites, and MetaKnight, the gameplay was slowed down and the DI was increased. Now characters with even the s**ttiest recovery have a chance to make it back. Thanks to the better DI, it's also much easier to gimp players' recoveries or edgehog. Multiple airdodges make combos impossible. Combos were lame in my opinion, because once another player got caught in one, there wasn't really an opportunity to escape. So really, first player to start a combo, wins.

And heck, half of being good at Melee was just keeping up with what was going on. I played Melee for a long time before I got Brawl, having fun beating the crap out of my friends, even computers were fun to me. But I never got into "wavedashing" or all that glitchy crap, I just played as my favorite character, Mario, and fought the best I could using the normal additions to the game. Not bulls**t glitchy hax like Wavedashing.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
You clearly have no understanding of competitive Melee...WD isn't a glitch...it was the result of air dodging into the ground, which was exploited...
right it wasn't meant to be there but the game engine allows for it hence not a glitch... besides not using everything the game allows you to do is just ignorant, its like playing baseball with only one hand on the bat or without a glove, just not a good idea competitively speaking, i.e. trying to get better in a competitive sense but if your just f,uckin around with friends then who cares.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, Brawl is online, and Melee isn't. I'd rather play a game where I can play with lag than a game where I can only play computers. >_>

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Jam Stunna: Well remember that in Melee Fox and Sheik did have stages they did bad on since they both had inherent gameplay weaknesses. MK doesn't really have those, but that's w/e. It's also hard to compare MK to them since the Melee engine gave characters more tools to work with and of course you could unleash devastating punishment as your reward for getting past their bull****. Not so in Brawl.

I mean Sakurai didn't give the community much to work with in this game anyway.

And yeah I feel like people play it cuz it's easy and because Brawl itself has attracted so many people to the community.

But Brawl is still a terrible game and in the face of so many good fighters, I can no longer bring myself to play it. I mean Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix just came out! Why the hell would I play Brawl over that?!

Speaking of that game, it was also made easier for newbies to get into the game, but those changes at the noob level have no effect on the highest level of play. Further proof that Sakurai and his team just didn't care. It's very upsetting when you see other companies go that extra mile for the competitive community simply because they DO care.

Does Namco have to patch Soul Caliber IV to make it more balanced? No they don't. But they do it because they care.

Did Sirlin's team have to make SF2 HD remix more accessible for new players and balanced for hardcore players? No. But they did it because they care.

Did Arc Systems have to rerelease Guilty Gear and rebalance the game each time? No. But they did it because they care.

But Nintendo doesn't care.

It would be better to just go back to Melee or just play other stuff. Other fighting game communities actually pity us because this game is so bad, but we force ourselves to play it. I have friends who are TO's who have seen the effect this game has had on the community and it makes them extremely upset. To see a community go from being excited and engaged in the game to bored and detached must be frustrating to see when you run tournies.

*sigh

I definitely feel you man and what you are saying.

**** this game.

Let's all play Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, SC IV, and SF2 HD Remix. lol.

Mith_

Smash Champion
lawl yeah, I'm a noob just because I didn't wavedash. It wasn't intentionally put there, so it's an exploitation and/or hax if you use it. End of story.
It wasn't intentionally put in there, but the game makers knew it existed, and didn't remove it. So I'm sure it wasn't an exploitation if they didn't remove it.

Why am I trying to explain anyways >.>

Top Bottom