• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creation of BBR Ruleset Committee; Brawl Nationals Agree to Same Stagelist! New TO's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Banned for the reasoning that characters like Falco and Diddy are a force to be reckoned with on that stage. Doesn't mean it should be attacked. It's a pretty fair stage.

At the same time, I really enjoy Pictochat and don't think it should be cut from the stage list, either.

AZ, just out of curiosity, can you pull up how many times Brinstar was banned/used?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's a pretty fair stage.
Statistically speaking if it is getting banned from over 1/3rd of all sets being played, then it is NOT a fair stage.

I might go through each stage one at a time but its from a list Dazwa compiled and I had to manually ctrl + f and then tally (on a piece of paper) everything in google docs (I can't edit the document). Now, if someone knows some Google Doc wizardry (or excel since it can be converted) where I can, say, choose a column and have the program spit out how many times "Brinstar" is listed within that column, that would be great. Otherwise I'll get to it when I finish some other random Smash statistics I'm working on that have nothing to do with stages.

etecoon

Smash Hero
FD is an obvious ban vs a lot of characters because it's clearly their best stage. pictochat isn't really anyones best stage to my knowledge(sonic?), it's just more luck based. that doesn't really mean FD is more objectionable, with picto you're taking a gamble that the hazards are going to work out in your favor

D

Deleted member

FD is also a good option vs. Meta Knight for some characters due to MK being able to use platforms to his advantage on other stages.

And MK is the most prominent tournament character. It's no wonder it gets banned.

Tesh

Smash Hero
People probably wouldn't CP WarioWare often either (unless they want to try to win by luck) compared to sure thing advantages. Pictochat isn't extremely unfair to certain characters, its just randomly unfair to players.

Also what auspher said. The metagame is about metaknight. Considering how many MK users and pocket mk users there are/were, its pretty likely that most of them would ban FD against most characters. Not having to deal with grab releases, lack of platforms etc.

BSP

Smash Legend
Alright, and now to bust out some stats:
At MLG in 2010, from a sampling of over 1,000 sets and over 2,300 games:
Pictochat
Banned: 30 times (~3% of all sets)
Used: 62 times (~2.7% of games)

Final Destination
Banned: 346 (~34% of all sets)
Used: 205 (~8.9% of games)

Final Destination is already banned in over 1/3rd of the sets played in competitive tournaments...and you guys are attacking Pictochat?
That's another thing. Will the BRC have FD as a starter?

NNID
Budget_Player
Pictochat

Final Destination

Final Destination is already banned in over 1/3rd of the sets played in competitive tournaments...and you guys are attacking Pictochat?
We're attacking pictochat and not FD because there is something wrong with pictochat.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Statistically speaking if it is getting banned from over 1/3rd of all sets being played, then it is NOT a fair stage.

I might go through each stage one at a time but its from a list Dazwa compiled and I had to manually ctrl + f and then tally (on a piece of paper) everything in google docs (I can't edit the document). Now, if someone knows some Google Doc wizardry (or excel since it can be converted) where I can, say, choose a column and have the program spit out how many times "Brinstar" is listed within that column, that would be great. Otherwise I'll get to it when I finish some other random Smash statistics I'm working on that have nothing to do with stages.
if you can copy-paste into excel,
Code:
=countif(a:a,"Brinstar")
will do the trick (might only work in >= Office 2007)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
People should always ban FD. If you're opponent has a pocket ICs, you're probably ****ed unless you're Yoshi or Peach.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When I say Pocket ICs, I mean they know how to CG. I don't consider anyone who drops grabs to have a pocket ICs.

NNID
Budget_Player
You know, at first I thought it was a weak incentive. And then I realized, "Oh wait, it's no incentive at all because if you're big enough you'll be stickied anyways".

Apex will be getting Stickied I do not know where you think it will not be. JV has already told me it will be stickied.
:glare: Why join the BBRRC again?

My prediction: this group will get very few new members, will break apart before a real ruleset is released, and will generally not have much influence after all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You know, at first I thought it was a weak incentive. And then I realized, "Oh wait, it's no incentive at all because if you're big enough you'll be stickied anyways".

:glare: Why join the BBRRC again?

My prediction: this group will get very few new members, will break apart before a real ruleset is released, and will generally not have much influence after all.
It is an international, I could see some justification for this under that pretense because the rule itself says US, so while it is US, you could call it a worldwide one were as the rule could be interpreted as being only for US only tournaments.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I have like 6 people from Mexico at my tourneys. Get at me. I want an international sticky.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Any US tournament Ally attends could technically be considered an international tournament. Why aren't they all stickied?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Guys, Alex asked for an exception and he got it because he could be classified as international.

Also Mexico isn't under the rule so they can do what they want and still be sticked, this applies to Europe, Australia, etc.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Guys, Alex asked for an exception and he got it because he could be classified as international.

Also Mexico isn't under the rule so they can do what they want and still be sticked, this applies to Europe, Australia, etc.
Canada=/=BBR RC. Are we exempted too? : D

T0MMY

Smash Master
  1. It's also being used about three times more -- more people like it, right?
  2. Keep in mind with so many "gay" stages are banned Picto would be overlooked -- give us data on Green Greens, Norfair, PS2, etc.
  3. More people like FD than Pictochat, why ban a stage you are unsure if your opponent likes?
  4. FD is a neutral stage -- Pictochat is not. It is easier to understand what will happen on a stage like FD whereas the "anything goes" nature of Pictochat would benefit the lesser skilled player; the lesser skilled player makes up the majority, so it follows the less skill the more it is likely Pictochat will be favored by the majority.
  5. WHO are the ones counterpicking? A massive amount of random noobs picking Pictochat shouldn't have a massive effect on competitive play intended for pro players.

In the end it comes down to INTERPRETATION of the statistics you've collected. You selected a narrow view of interpretation, showing a bit of bias towards liberal stages... but then again, you are the one who set up these stages, yes?

About the planking/time-out rules:

I really don't see how the arguments for Planking in Brawl can be applied to Melee.....
It can be stopped, except for some where your opponent needs to be frame perfect. But anyway this is a Brawl ruleset thread, Melee has nothing to do with it....

You think melee players can't be frame perfect? I have been a competitive melee player for nearly 10 years. If you think someone cannot perform actions in one frame you are only fooling yourself. If that were true we would not be seeing such consistent amazing technical performance by so many great players. Do not scoff at their years of practice.
Also, if such stalling were impossible to perform there wouldn't have been any need for their "no stalling" rules, would there? Because it'd be impossible.

So don't just blow this off; it is VERY important to what is being examined here. To overlook data that will help us just to satisfy ego is a grievance to the community, it's good to be mistaken, that's how we learn.

Actually, I brought this up because I was worried I was trippin' or something, because the fact you've been going on for this long against me is starting to make me second guess a few things about yourself and myself. I wasn't trying to mount any "person-based" attacks here, I just wanted confirmation from someone else that I, personally, wasn't on the wrong track of anything.
I think the problem is you believe I've been "going on this long" against YOU. I am not going "against" you, I am in a discussion with you, as with everyone else. If you take the time I have placed quotes in my posts to show who I am responding to and I've responded to everyone who has responded to me.
In case you're unfamiliar with an ad hominem, it is simply a focus on myself rather than an argument at hand. If we are discussing planking or other Brawl-related topics and you say 'wait a minute, who has a problem with t0mmy?' then that directs the argument to me, which is an ad hominem. I simply just ask to stay focused on the argument so we can work it out together, because it really does take both of us to stay focused on the topic to get through the discussion, no need to call out a personal difference.

I don't even know why you brought this up, lol. Stick to the argument.
If you want to believe I brought it up, go ahead and believe that. But if you want to take the time to go back and see that I simply responded to your ad hominem (the second time around, mind you, not even the first time) you'll see that I am simply responding, not instigating.
So as long as this is brought into the discussion I am sticking to the argument. And I believe ad hominems are loose ends of the argument that I need to tie up so we can stay focused.

Winning position, as in if time were to run out, MK would be declared the winner.
Tied position, as in if time were to run out, a rematch would commence.
But yes, MK can plank on either, so w/e.
Well that's an odd rule! Where are you playing tournaments that declare MK the winner when time runs out?
But it seems like we're (kinda) making progress here when you say "MK can plank on either". Now that we know this, which is MORE ADVANTAGEOUS TO MK? Personally, I feel it is the current tie-break rules, as I illustrated: It is more difficult to keep a lead on MK with a %-based rule; in order to lose in a stock-based ruling you have to be at least a full stock behind him! Keeping on-par with stocks is a lot easier than trying to keep a %-lead against insubstantial attacks, glitchy hit-area Mach Tornados, and super cheap planking/scrooging/keep-away techniques.

So the big question: WHY ARE WE PROMOTING PLANKING META KNIGHTS?
If we have a problem with planking, don't promote it then punish them, simply just don't promote it.

MK's at 170%, and the opponent's at 12%. Both last stock. If time runs out, the opponent heals 12 damage, and MK heals 170 damage. I don't care what the skill gap is between the two players, and how much the non-MK is going to **** in the rematch battle, healing 170% damage is flat out unreasonable.
Of course ignoring skill gap would be beneficial to your argument, because that's the determining factor. If MK's opponent is unable or unwilling punish the planking and get their KO then that will determine if they can win or not. Simple as that. It's the same thing if MK spammed Mach Tornado and timed out his opponent then the opponent cried for a ban on the 'nado. If they are not good enough to know how to punish the 'nado and get their KO they simply have to quit crying and get better.
Seriously, with a 10 min timer and someone can't score one hit on a MK performing a punishable technique they should lose.
Is it cheap? Yes.
Welcome to competitive play -- But the beauty of competitive play is competitive players will LEARN TO DEFEAT TACTICS LIKE THIS. Introducing scrubby rules that ban these tactics impede metagame development.

If this were actually broken I would say "ban it", just as I am not opposed to stalling with the IDC -- off topic I think we should call it the BDC (Banned Dimensional Cape).

Your "tied stock = rematch" rule doesn't cover stock leads. MK's at 135%, two stocks, and the opponent's at 20%, one stock. If time runs out, MK wins despite him and the opponent being at almost even ground.
First, it's not MY RULE.
Second, it does cover stock lead.
Third, it doesn't need to cover stock lead because the game itself does. When time runs out and there's a stock lead that player wins.
WHAT'S THIS PLAYING BY THE GAME'S RULES WORKS, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING? ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT PILING ON RULE-AFTER-RULE-AFTER-RULE WILL HELP EVERYTHING! /sarcasm

Obviously, it's much easier to keep a stock tie/lead against MK than it is to keep a stock and percent tie/lead...
Yep.

I seem to recall the issue of reaction times being brought into this conversation a long time back. You do not take that into account in your AiB thread. The only way your scenario works is if you perfectly guess every move MK is going to make. If he varies his movements by even a slight amount of frames, your approach isn't going to work.
That thread was written for FRAME DATA ONLY.
Just because I provide frame data does not mean I did not take into account reaction time. If you look over my posts here you will see that I provide that when it was brought into question.
The main point I made was the MK player would be stuck in a "pattern" where the reacting player was in the position of pattern-breaker. In this way the MK player would be caught with conjoined thoughts, nearly DOUBLING the "lag" of his mental process, whereas the reacting player would have read the pattern and interrupts the action BEFORE it is even inputted. This means the "reacting" player has less "reaction" time than the MK player.

I'm not being biased. I'm recording every match, win or lose. Everything will be posted, regardless of my victories or failures. If I just so happen to win all of them, then it just goes to prove that planking is broken in practice.
It's doomed to failure, just as if I did the same thing. Which is why I'm not wasting my time on "proof" because I don't see it as such.
If you just so happen to win all of them, that is NOT proof that planking is broken. That is simply correlated evidence. Most likely it will only show proof that your opponents don't know how to stop your planking.

As far as the video evidence I've shown you so far, it's the best I could find for planking. Plus, I'm currently collecting more evidence of it being broken to this day. Think you can top it?
Asking if I think I could top it makes it sound like it's on top of the evidence list. It's not.
It doesn't even make the list.

Hardcore frame data is the only thing I've seen that has persuaded my opinion on this. I looked at DMG's data (which was mixed with a lot of opinion) I found plenty of flaws. When I polished it up it painted a new picture: Planking is beatable.
I put that data to practice.
I stopped people from planking me.
I presented the evidence -- some applied it, thought it was genius, it helped them. But those who want to impose rules against MK (who coincidentally also want him banned) try to shoot it down with opinion, conjecture, rhetoric, and insubstantial correlated evidence.
The evidence still stands.

Proving your point with data that doesn't take all variables into account, such as reaction time and character ability, alongside non-existent videos.
Considering we went over data, reaction time, and character ability and my argument came out STRONGER because of it, I'd like to say it's a nice starting point.
Let's see where your video evidence takes things...

I also seem to recall a certain someone saying that evidence obtained through theorycraft isn't quite as concrete as evidence obtained through practice(not sure if it was you, but yeah).
Not something I'd be likely to say. Even so, it's an irrelevant tangent, I'd rather focus on actual evidence than track down who said what, if something was said that doesn't add anything to the discussion then it is better that it gets ignored.

Yep, you sure have binding evidence.
Cool, thanks.

Not exactly. If, say, Mario had all of these tactics(and we assume MK didn't, of course), I'd still be arguing everything the exact same way.
Conjecture. But just know where your other opinions situate you.

Smash isn't dying, though.
Yeah, I know this.

You're going to tell me Smash is dying? Seriously?
No, I have never uttered such a thing, and argued against the nay-sayers in my community. This is one of the reasons why my local scene is so well off: I keep things positive.
So I am unsure why you made that presumption.

MK doesn't really kill the community, of course, but getting rid of him would likely be a big step in the right direction.
I'd seriously consider quitting if he gets banned. It would just show me that the community is full of scrubs, the game is not competitive, and if one character is banned for unsubstantial reasons, who's to say my character won't be banned? Ridiculous.
I have sympathy for those player who get gimped at 40% and don't want to play, but you know what I do? I sit them down and show them how NOT TO GET GIMPED! After I have a talk with them and show them their options there's a grin on their face.
If I punished people for playing the game then those people will quit playing and I guarantee you the person who wanted to quit because they got gimped at 40% will have already quit by then.

I do believe the ban of MK will help the community out a lot, but the main reasons I'm pro-ban are due to his significant presence in tournaments; he's used way more significantly more than any other character, and he's won significantly more money than any other character.
Like I said, I'm not interested in discussing Meta Knight's status here. But if you want to see less people use him, then consider helping me promote how to beat the "cheap" tactics such as planking. Layering rule after rule after rule is only hurting us NON-MK players -- seriously, all these rules have been the ONLY THING in my entire Smash career that has made me want to quit.
Consider that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Canada=/=BBR RC. Are we exempted too? : D
If I were to read it as such, then yes you would be.

Need to edit "Unless you are Alex Strife" into the OP/title.
:/

Also just noticed.

Pictochat

Final Destination

You kept track of characters as well correct?

If so what characters commonly banned it?

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Sure FD is neutral when looking at the desing of the stage but the way it effects the metagame it's like the complete opposite. It can be a bit deceiving by it's look but trust these guys, it is far from the most neutral stage in the game.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh yeah, good point on the neutral vs static.
Though I could argue both sides there. I've had long conversations about this topic. Also, I think me & my brother helped coin the phrase "static" to help describe Final Destination and Battlefield.

This is going into a very deep conversation, so I don't know if you really want to get into this. But it's good to point that out.

BSP

Smash Legend
fd is like the most neutral stage in the game... it has no platforms or anything...
That is static, not nuetral.

If anything, FD really needs more consideration. It should be obvious by now that placing it in starter lists favors some characters.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I think the problem is you believe I've been "going on this long" against YOU. I am not going "against" you, I am in a discussion with you, as with everyone else. If you take the time I have placed quotes in my posts to show who I am responding to and I've responded to everyone who has responded to me.
In case you're unfamiliar with an ad hominem, it is simply a focus on myself rather than an argument at hand. If we are discussing planking or other Brawl-related topics and you say 'wait a minute, who has a problem with t0mmy?' then that directs the argument to me, which is an ad hominem. I simply just ask to stay focused on the argument so we can work it out together, because it really does take both of us to stay focused on the topic to get through the discussion, no need to call out a personal difference.

If you want to believe I brought it up, go ahead and believe that. But if you want to take the time to go back and see that I simply responded to your ad hominem (the second time around, mind you, not even the first time) you'll see that I am simply responding, not instigating.
So as long as this is brought into the discussion I am sticking to the argument. And I believe ad hominems are loose ends of the argument that I need to tie up so we can stay focused.
Okay, like I've been saying. I wasn't trying ad hominem against you. I wanted to make sure that, to other people, I wasn't sounding like a complete ****** spouting out utter nonsense.

And also, I wanted to call people's attention to the arguments, not us.

If I really wanted to use ad hominem against you, I would've done it weeks ago, because I've asked around about you and heard... less than amazing things... Anyway, the point is, I don't intend to use ad hominem, because I'm already aware it's not a legitimate form of argument. Chill out.

Well that's an odd rule! Where are you playing tournaments that declare MK the winner when time runs out?
I meant winning position, as in no matter what ruleset is being used, MK will be declared the winner based on the stock and percent when time runs out(aka if winning as being described as having more stocks, or less percent, etc by the ruleset).

And tied position, as in no matter what ruleset is being used, a tie will be declared based on stock and percent when time runs out(aka if tied is described as having same stock, or same stock and percent, etc).

But it seems like we're (kinda) making progress here when you say "MK can plank on either". Now that we know this, which is MORE ADVANTAGEOUS TO MK? Personally, I feel it is the current tie-break rules, as I illustrated: It is more difficult to keep a lead on MK with a %-based rule; in order to lose in a stock-based ruling you have to be at least a full stock behind him! Keeping on-par with stocks is a lot easier than trying to keep a %-lead against insubstantial attacks, glitchy hit-area Mach Tornados, and super cheap planking/scrooging/keep-away techniques.
Once again. You can't possibly say that MK isn't going to have the upper hand on stocks EVERY match. If MK ever gets the first kill, the problem persists.

So the big question: WHY ARE WE PROMOTING PLANKING META KNIGHTS?
If we have a problem with planking, don't promote it then punish them, simply just don't promote it.
Right... right... I forgot you were against planking, but you disagree with me over exactly how broken it is...

Of course ignoring skill gap would be beneficial to your argument, because that's the determining factor. If MK's opponent is unable or unwilling punish the planking and get their KO then that will determine if they can win or not. Simple as that. It's the same thing if MK spammed Mach Tornado and timed out his opponent then the opponent cried for a ban on the 'nado. If they are not good enough to know how to punish the 'nado and get their KO they simply have to quit crying and get better.
Seriously, with a 10 min timer and someone can't score one hit on a MK performing a punishable technique they should lose.
Is it cheap? Yes.
Welcome to competitive play -- But the beauty of competitive play is competitive players will LEARN TO DEFEAT TACTICS LIKE THIS. Introducing scrubby rules that ban these tactics impede metagame development.
This is, of course, under your presumption that planking is beatable... IF a tactic is beatable, and you get timed out with it, then yes, you probably deserve to lose.

You also can't time people out with Mach Tornado... only be really cheap with it...

If this were actually broken I would say "ban it", just as I am not opposed to stalling with the IDC -- off topic I think we should call it the BDC (Banned Dimensional Cape).
That's cool. I too admit that allowing EDC(because no one can really do it for 8 minutes) is okay for now until people actually prove it game breaking...

First, it's not MY RULE.
Second, it does cover stock lead.
Third, it doesn't need to cover stock lead because the game itself does. When time runs out and there's a stock lead that player wins.
WHAT'S THIS PLAYING BY THE GAME'S RULES WORKS, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING? ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT PILING ON RULE-AFTER-RULE-AFTER-RULE WILL HELP EVERYTHING! /sarcasm
Okay, so like I said, MK's at 135%, two stocks, and the opponent is at 20%, one stock. MK times the opponent out with planking and gets the win, despite having almost equivalent stocklives(for a lack of a better term. -___ -;).

Like I said before, if MK's planking is beatable, then yes, the opponent deserved to lose.
If it's not beatable, then no, MK didn't deserve to win that.

That thread was written for FRAME DATA ONLY.
Just because I provide frame data does not mean I did not take into account reaction time. If you look over my posts here you will see that I provide that when it was brought into question.
The main point I made was the MK player would be stuck in a "pattern" where the reacting player was in the position of pattern-breaker. In this way the MK player would be caught with conjoined thoughts, nearly DOUBLING the "lag" of his mental process, whereas the reacting player would have read the pattern and interrupts the action BEFORE it is even inputted. This means the "reacting" player has less "reaction" time than the MK player.
Okay, let me rephrase that. Your thread only covers the one scenario where MK drops off the ledge as soon as possible, inputs the two Uairs as soon as possible, makes his midair jump as soon as possible, and regrabs the ledge as soon as possible. If MK was stuck in this pattern and could not vary it, then yes, your scenario works.

However, that's not the case. If MK delays his first ledgedropped Uair, you're not going to get a powershield. If MK uses any move aside from Uair as his second move, what then? He can delay or change any part of his planking as he sees fit. He's the one calling the shots on the reaction game here.

It's doomed to failure, just as if I did the same thing. Which is why I'm not wasting my time on "proof" because I don't see it as such.
If you just so happen to win all of them, that is NOT proof that planking is broken. That is simply correlated evidence. Most likely it will only show proof that your opponents don't know how to stop your planking.
Even if I turn my sights to better players like, say, those who are ranked, and win? The general public is going to see it as evidence of planking being broken.

Of course, assuming I can pull out the wins. ;p

Asking if I think I could top it makes it sound like it's on top of the evidence list. It's not.
It doesn't even make the list.
If I collect such data and post it, do you seriously think it's going to count for nothing? I'm in the NY/NJ region; I have some of the best players around here to record matches with. If they can't beat the planking, you cannot deny that there's something bull**** with planking.

Hardcore frame data is the only thing I've seen that has persuaded my opinion on this. I looked at DMG's data (which was mixed with a lot of opinion) I found plenty of flaws. When I polished it up it painted a new picture: Planking is beatable.
I put that data to practice.
I stopped people from planking me.
I presented the evidence -- some applied it, thought it was genius, it helped them. But those who want to impose rules against MK (who coincidentally also want him banned) try to shoot it down with opinion, conjecture, rhetoric, and insubstantial correlated evidence.
The evidence still stands.
Is it seriously that hard to simply record a match where you stop planking? If you claim you beat planking consistently, getting a video and showing it really isn't that hard.

I could say that I found a way to SDI so quickly I can make it to the edge of any stage after getting hit by any attack and teching the sides of the stage before my knockback actually takes place. No one would believe me, though, until I actually showed something to that effect.

I simply find it hard to believe you - or R.O.B., actually - can beat planking consistently. Just record and show me a tournament match, or even a money match with no LGL, where you beat planking, and you're good to go. Of course, I expect to hear any and all news of any screw ups that may occur before your actual success.

Considering we went over data, reaction time, and character ability and my argument came out STRONGER because of it, I'd like to say it's a nice starting point.
Let's see where your video evidence takes things...
Not really. We both have possibilities in all scenarios that cancel each other out. For every point I've made, you've countered with a possibility that cancels it out, and vice versa in your case.

Not something I'd be likely to say. Even so, it's an irrelevant tangent, I'd rather focus on actual evidence than track down who said what, if something was said that doesn't add anything to the discussion then it is better that it gets ignored.
Okay, once again, let me repeat the statement. Theorycraft evidence isn't as strong as practice evidence. It's the reason why possibilities can continuously cancel each and every point out.

Which is also the main reason why I request video evidence.

Cool, thanks.

Conjecture. But just know where your other opinions situate you.
I'm not arguing this whole point because I'm pro-MK ban; I'm arguing it because I believe the planking tactic is broken. If Mario had it, I'd still argue the same thing, regardless of how non-broken Mario is outside of having hypothetical MK-level planking.

Yeah, I know this.
No, I have never uttered such a thing, and argued against the nay-sayers in my community. This is one of the reasons why my local scene is so well off: I keep things positive.
So I am unsure why you made that presumption.
Because of this:
Again, an empty assumption. I did not. I simply stated what I researched. The community was dying and they banned those characters in an attempt to salvage the community. This directly applies to the argument that we need to ban MK in an attempt to save the Smash community. Directly applies. It didn't work.
History is a great teacher.
I'd seriously consider quitting if he gets banned. It would just show me that the community is full of scrubs, the game is not competitive, and if one character is banned for unsubstantial reasons, who's to say my character won't be banned? Ridiculous.
Slippery slope fallacy has been disproven long ago. No other character comes even close to the brokenness that MK is bartering, and you know it. Every other character is absolutely safe from the ban hammer.

I have sympathy for those player who get gimped at 40% and don't want to play, but you know what I do? I sit them down and show them how NOT TO GET GIMPED! After I have a talk with them and show them their options there's a grin on their face.
If I punished people for playing the game then those people will quit playing and I guarantee you the person who wanted to quit because they got gimped at 40% will have already quit by then.
Then why do I still see people falling for the same **** they fell for in '09/'10?

Like I said, I'm not interested in discussing Meta Knight's status here. But if you want to see less people use him, then consider helping me promote how to beat the "cheap" tactics such as planking. Layering rule after rule after rule is only hurting us NON-MK players -- seriously, all these rules have been the ONLY THING in my entire Smash career that has made me want to quit.
Consider that.
Keep in mind that a lot of the money MK has already won was generally due to his overall moveset. Remember that LGLs are active in most tournaments. Helping players beat planking isn't really going to solve that issue by a large margin.

Of course, if you can beat planking, and can teach others how to do so, then I'm all for doing that, but like I've said, I'd like to see that it's actually possible, because I've seen no such information or evidence that would suggest to me otherwise.

BSP

Smash Legend
Again, the BRC really needs to look at Pictochat again...check out the stage discussion thread or something.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't think there is much point anymore.

When the BBRRC emerged, they said that smaller TOs had nothing to worry about, because their tournaments would never get AiB coverage or SWF stickies anyway.

Now, they admit that if you host a large tournament, the rules still won't affect you.

Its clear now that there won't be a unified ruleset, as the nationals that originally claimed to be united did not have the same ruleset.

Its probably better to try appealing directly to the TOs that matter.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I don't think there is much point anymore.

When the BBRRC emerged, they said that smaller TOs had nothing to worry about, because their tournaments would never get AiB coverage or SWF stickies anyway.

Now, they admit that if you host a large tournament, the rules still won't affect you.
This
Small tournaments would never be stickied anyway and large tournaments will get stickied regardless.

Unfortunately this is heading in the same direction the BBR ruleset did, TOs are ignoring it and it will probably never truly become standard.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
BBR and BRC looking at stages lol. Did no one tell you? We've going over everything right now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm sure BSP and I love those ledges, but the rest of the stage is nonsense and it isn't worth it.

Once Pictochat is gone, I'll just use MK to trick people into banning Brinstar. THEN I'll cp Yoshi's anyway.

Also what is this I hear about the ruleset coming out soon? Kind of late to still call it united right?

I really don't think the BBR 3.1 ruleset should have been retired before you guys had much of anything to release.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Its clear now that there won't be a unified ruleset, as the nationals that originally claimed to be united did not have the same ruleset.
This is untrue. The nationals agreed to use the same 14 stages, and they were Pound/Whobo...and they used the same stages! That was the only thing in the initial agreement. The ruleset hasn't been released yet so other than stages they could run mostly whatever.

As for "all big tournaments will get exceptions". They won't. Apex, likely being both the largest tournament in the next year & having multiple international participants from Japan/Europe, makes it qualify for an exception. If another tournament arises that will likely get 250ish participants and Japan and Europe in attendance, then that tournament might also have an exception. Chances are though there is only going to be one tournament like that in a year, and there won't be a single like that in the calendar year 2011.

The new rules on both AiB and Smashboards will be enforced strictly once the ruleset is released on April 6th. Simply being "large" will not get you an exception.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
That's not the point, AlphaZealot. The point is, we've had how many years now of people just blanket ignoring the BBR? One loophole, ANY loophole, that allows a tournament that is sufficiently large to bypass the BBRRC mandate is enough grounds for everyone to ignore the mandate, since if you're sufficiently large, there is a chance (whatever the percentage may be) that you don't have to abide by the rules anyway.

An exception for "sufficiently large" tournaments proves that the committee thinks that tournament size is more important than high-level unity, which defeats the purpose of a high-level mandate. You're undermining yourself. Yes, denying Apex a sticky would be hard, and it would be painful, and it might hurt the attendance of a much-loved tournament... but if you (that is to say, the BBRRC) aren't willing to sacrifice a minor drop in attendance for even ONE large tournament in the name of your own mandate, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to respect you?

Hell, how are you able to respect yourself?

What you're trying to do with this mandate is hard, very hard, but very worth it; unity is never a bad thing, especially with a community this large. But, you're undermining yourself, and you need to understand that you can't spin things away from that fact: by allowing Apex a sticky, you've turned your mandate into a suggestion, which is what killed the respect of the BBR in the first place.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It isn't just the largeness - it is the fact that the ruleset is supposedly catered toward what it would take to get the Japanese to come. Those two factors coupled together make it a much different beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom