• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creation of BBR Ruleset Committee; Brawl Nationals Agree to Same Stagelist! New TO's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspect

Smash Hero
1 stage should not be making or breaking a decision to attend a tournament
Yea it should

There was a tourny here that had PTAD as a CP

Now I can not go to the tournament

or

Go and have to waste my ban on that stage.

I dont use mk, I was using D3 at the time and that stage actually did cost me a set. Had I banned it, the MK that beat me would of took me to RC

*see avatar*

Suspect

Smash Hero
If I had banned RC, PTAD would of been open....matter of fact im pretty sure that is what happen. MK was not the problem cause I 2 stocked him first match. 3rd match I simply got out played ( I might of suicied, cant remember)

Oh and I wasnt the only person that was affected harshly by that stage being at that tourny.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
How many of the people there ever took the time to sit down and play on PTAD? In my own experience results from playing on PTAD are just as consistent as any other stage, provided both players are familar with the stage.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Only one person at the tournament happened to play on PTAD to prepare, and only one or two of the players at the tournament were aware of PTAD's safety zones.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Pierce, I know you're God and all, but man, you dumb.

Personally, I've always been torn on Pictochat's legality. I was all for it at first, but the more that I've seen it screw people over in tourney, the more I feel it should be banned. The difference in randomness between Picto and DDD or Peach is that with DDD and Peach, you have a clear indication of what's coming. Picto, it is unreasonable, in my opinion, to constantly have to worry about the 7% chance or so that each situation will pop up. It can shift the focus of the match entirely from simply playing against your opponent. Much moreso than Japes and Norfair.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
idk, but with that logic you are basically saying its ok to have every stage legal lol
Not at all. You can't really say something should be banned if you don't know how it works at all though (Which is why a stage is inherently legal, and the burden of proof lies with whoever wants it banned). You can sit and play on temple all day, circle camping is still broken. You can play on RC for the first time against someone who knows it and you're going to get outplayed simply because they know their options at each section of the stage while you are left clueless.

Only one person at the tournament happened to play on PTAD to prepare, and only one or two of the players at the tournament were aware of PTAD's safety zones.
No wonder its a problem then. Based of that, any mishap on PTAD was probally due to lack of knowledge about the stage, not the stage itself.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shun: first, I think you meant to direct that at me, not Pierce. Second, it is funny you say you shouldn't have to worry about the 7% chance that a situation will occur, because that is roughly the percentage of Gordo's that D3 will throw (probably a little less) and you cannot possibly expect a Gordo every time D3 presses a button. Additionally, with D3, you actually can have almost zero warning, easily less than you get with Picto's transformations because the draw time for a transformation is more than the start up animation of a Gordo. Moreover, when looking at Peach, you certainly can't prepare for Peach throwing a bomb every time (of course this is slightly different since Peach first has to pluck and hold the bomb). Regardless, my point is not about what is reasonable or not because that is subjective and everyone will draw the line slightly to extremely differently, it is more that randomness is already an accepted, and more importantly, inherent factor of Smash and has been in tournaments for years upon years.

For example, I remember when Chillin almost quit playing Brawl because the ghost on Yoshi's saved Blackanese after he had wasted his up-B as Olimar and was falling to certain doom. Chillin had the match won, he even put his controller down! It was certain victory...except for a random variable that decided to pop up like a miracle. Is the randomness on Yoshi's acceptable when there is evidence from this match and countless others that its randomness "unfairly" changes the outcome of matches? Where do you draw the line?

pPp Suspect: I think you lost on PTAD probably because you didn't know the stage. PTAD is a good MK stage but definitely not better than Brinstar or Cruise or probably even Delfino. On PTAD your weight as D3 should give you a substantial advantage when it comes to surviving hazards compared to MK. MK's only strong point on the stage is sharking which is something he has on several stages. Regardless, MK has the advantage on basically every character on every stage so that is a pretty poor reason to ban something, especially when there are legal stages that MK has larger advantages on. Banning MK would solve a lot of problems but it would also cause a lot of drawn out drama and debate. Shrug. MK is dumb.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce, I know you're God and all, but man, you dumb.

Personally, I've always been torn on Pictochat's legality. I was all for it at first, but the more that I've seen it screw people over in tourney, the more I feel it should be banned. The difference in randomness between Picto and DDD or Peach is that with DDD and Peach, you have a clear indication of what's coming. Picto, it is unreasonable, in my opinion, to constantly have to worry about the 7% chance or so that each situation will pop up. It can shift the focus of the match entirely from simply playing against your opponent. Much moreso than Japes and Norfair.
Uh, I believe I said that I prefer Picto banned.

Picto (which I had come to forgive, though I now regret it, especially since it's becoming more and more mainstream for some reason)
Reading: It's useful on Smashbaords AND in Brawl.

For example, I remember when Chillin almost quit playing Brawl because the ghost on Yoshi's saved Blackanese after he had wasted his up-B as Olimar and was falling to certain doom. Chillin had the match won, he even put his controller down! It was certain victory...except for a random variable that decided to pop up like a miracle. Is the randomness on Yoshi's acceptable when there is evidence from this match and countless others that its randomness "unfairly" changes the outcome of matches? Where do you draw the line?
That was Blackwaltz not Blackanense.

Reizilla

MK's dumb? Sonic's dumb :p

The dumb part was at Pierce, for the Norfair/PS2 nonsense. The rest was to AZ.

With DDD, he has huge startup animation. Peach, there's significant time from pluck to throw. Picto, there's no warning of what's coming next.

Yoshi's, I don't like for that reason, but it's much more tame than Picto.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My bad, Blackwaltz. I was there when it happened it was just like 2 years ago.

With DDD, he has huge startup animation. Peach, there's significant time from pluck to throw. Picto, there's no warning of what's coming next.
Again, start up animation for a throw is LESS than the draw animation before a transformation becomes active. In other words if you are standing next to where the bomb will spawn on Picto you will have more warning to get out of the way than you would if you stood next to D3 if he were throwing a Gordo.

My point exactly. You are drawing subjective lines of what is acceptable randomness. Clearly you and most of the community is OK with some randomness since I don't see anyone arguing for Yoshi's to be banned. However, if the case were "All random is bad regardless of degree" then it is pretty clear Yoshi's would need to go just as Picto would.

Reizilla

My bad, Blackwaltz. I was there when it happened it was just like 2 years ago.

Again, start up animation for a throw is LESS than the draw animation before a transformation becomes active. In other words if you are standing next to where the bomb will spawn on Picto you will have more warning to get out of the way than you would if you stood next to D3 if he were throwing a Gordo.

My point exactly. You are drawing subjective lines of what is acceptable randomness. Clearly you and most of the community is OK with some randomness since I don't see anyone arguing for Yoshi's to be banned. However, if the case were "All random is bad regardless of degree" then it is pretty clear Yoshi's would need to go just as Picto would.
On Picto, the camera shot can prevent you from ever seeing the starting draw animation before it affects the gameplay. On top of that, it interrupts what's already going on in the match, many times, during long actions, such as knockback and grabs, nothing can be done about, except for not taking any action and retreating to safe zones. Should I avoid punishing someone because there's an X% chance that a spike might get drawn there and I'm near kill percents? If you find yourself unable to avoid a gordo or bomb, you've already screwed up pretty hard. That being said, Picto can also save you from your mistakes, some times even giving you an advantage afterward.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Additionally, with D3, you actually can have almost zero warning, easily less than you get with Picto's transformations because the draw time for a transformation is more than the start up animation of a Gordo.
lololol

its like you havent seen biglou vs. kismet

the stage collisions appear the instant the stage starts getting drawn

you have a warning for hitboxes but not for potentially losing a ledge out of nothing

yi's randomness sucks too, but i think people are naturally more inclined to accept an otherwise alright stage that saves lives (and only has one significant random event) than an already borderline stage that straight up kills you for no good reason

Steam

Smash Hero
if you're lucario the support ghost on YI can gimp you... It's happened to me several times. opponent is on the ledge and I try to upB to wall cling, and the support ghost takes me up to stage level and I get ledgehogged. FML

ban YI >_>

NNID
Budget_Player
How many of the people there ever took the time to sit down and play on PTAD? In my own experience results from playing on PTAD are just as consistent as any other stage, provided both players are familar with the stage.
THIS.

Look, I have to waste my stage ban on FD at every tournament. Why? I really really really do not like FD. Now, if you really do not like PTAD, that's your problem. Were you worried about the (nonexistent) random factors? Were you (irrationally) worried that it was a strong MK counterpick? Or were you just ready to ***** about it because you do not understand the stage?

idk, but with that logic you are basically saying its ok to have every stage legal lol
...Every stage that is not degenerate or overly random. PTAD belongs to neither category. Get@me.

you cannot possibly expect a Gordo every time D3 presses a button.
Every time he uses his sideB, you have almost half a second to react to it. If you can't get out of the way of a potential gordo, then block. 99% of all cases, you can.

Additionally, with D3, you actually can have almost zero warning, easily less than you get with Picto's transformations because the draw time for a transformation is more than the start up animation of a Gordo.
...Except you can expect a Gordo. It gives you quite a bit of warning and is amazingly telegraphed, and most of the time, DDD will get punished for the move. Heavily.

Moreover, when looking at Peach, you certainly can't prepare for Peach throwing a bomb every time (of course this is slightly different since Peach first has to pluck and hold the bomb).
Same deal: you have to expect the chance. And it gives you a lot more warning than Picto. As in, 30-40 frames more.

randomness is already an accepted, and more importantly, inherent factor of Smash and has been in tournaments for years upon years.
Why is warioware banned?

The fact that there's exactly one random chance: "appears" or "not appears". You can prepare for that. Chillin's mistake was thinking he had already won. This randomness is nowhere near on the same level as Pictochat, as both players can and do react to it. Your opponent get saved? Knock 'em back offstage! They almost always have lag due to their upB/whatever. Steam's example is a little more ********, but hey-the balloon on pictochat can gimp ness...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
YI can gimp a lot of characters. Ness, Lucas, Yoshi, Lucario, Ike...and basically any recovery that moves upwards if they start farther off stage than the support ghost, then it pops up just as they start to use their recovery move.

Also: I am fine with PTAD being legal. Let MK shark: I'll just spike him through the stage and hope that the racetrack isn't below him. :D He can't actually plank here. Like, almost ever. There is only one transformation with a ledge.

PTAD is a lot like Delfino actually, with set patterns. Just with cars that are the strongest hazards in the game instead of water and walk-offs.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Seriously, ban YI:B. There's nothing like have a successful gimp of a MK ruined by a stupid ghost.

PTAD actually seems cool. I used to hate it, then I learned the stage. Now I only blame myself if I get hit by the cars.

fUddO

Smash Ace
I'm a SSBB hipster.

EDIT: And I have extreme character bias going on. Sure, Pit loses the ledges on PTAD, in return he gets a gigantic super camp stage (on some transformations). At the very least, a cool Oli/Ivy/ZSS counterpick.

-Googs

Smash Lord
ironicaly PTAD is a good cp for mk cause their's really no ledges for him... he can't "plank"

For ic's it's amazing cause you have no safe option to land most of the time...it's a really interesting stage if you look at it that way. I don't think it should be legal but that's just my conservative opinion. I just thought i'd throw that perspective out there. Getting planked game 1? PTAD if legal is a legit cp lol

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Hey guyz. Have the boards matured in the few months I've been gone?

Thread said:
...guess not. I'll just go then. I hope I get accepted to the University of Washington in the fall, so I can use their facilities to host good tournaments and teach new players not to be such scrubs.

Be back when the BBRRC finishes v1.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I honestly do miss posting; having a full set of classes and a job, back to back, every day... is kind of draining. :( I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what comes of all of this BBRRC stuff, so we'll see. If I can actually work up the time / capital to start hosting again (especially because Seattle has, from what I hear, a not good Brawl scene, and I'd like to fix that), that'd be pretty good motivation to catch up with the (I'm sure) myriad of changes that SWF has gone through in the last few months.

Sorry I can't be more specific on when I could really start posting again. The "real world" tends to screw you like that. :p

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why is warioware banned?
I'd expect more from you when it comes to understanding things. My entire point over the last few pages has been that what is acceptable in terms of random is a condition of degree, of which Warioware is to random (in particular the rewards) for...well every single TO in the country. Meanwhile Picto is considerably less random and many TO's have been using it for years.

Regarding the Kismit/Big Lou Match: I bet Kismit will never again get gimped by that. From this point forward he will only Side-B to the edge when a transition already exists or when the transitions that can gimp him like that were already present (because no transition occurs twice in a 8 minute match). Instead, he will recover like he did the very next time (where he just side-B'd to the stage). If you really were learning to play the stage this is just one factor to take into account. Finally, can you explain how this is any worse than the situation described here:

"if you're lucario the support ghost on YI can gimp you... It's happened to me several times. opponent is on the ledge and I try to upB to wall cling, and the support ghost takes me up to stage level and I get ledgehogged. FML"

In both cases the stock was taken for seemingly random instances of the stage. This is testimony that it has happened several times on YI (in addition to the ghost unfairly saving someone). In both cases, by the way, the number of instances are barely statistically significant. Or are they? Hence my point that it is all a question of degree.

I remember some people wanted to see YS in MELEE to get banned because sometimes the shy guys would interrupt attacks. Such people would have an incredibly low tolerance for anything "random". Heck, some people wanted stages removed that weren't random but were just hard to keep track of (again YS in Melee because the cloud "randomly" saved people, even though it was on a set pattern/timer, or the barrel on DK64 because it was hard to keep track of where it was).

BSP

Smash Legend
Regarding the Kismit/Big Lou Match: I bet Kismit will never again get gimped by that. From this point forward he will only Side-B to the edge when a transition already exists or when the transitions that can gimp him like that were already present (because no transition occurs twice in a 8 minute match).
My problem with this is that you can't control any of this. So basically, he needs to not be in a position where he has to recover when Picto could gay him? That's the entire match., until said drawing appears of course.

Picto seems fine in theory, but mid-play, you aren't always going to be in a favorable position to respond to Picto's random drawings, which also leads into the issue of random rewards given by Picto, which, as we have seen, can be deadly.

Instead, he will recover like he did the very next time (where he just side-B'd to the stage).
Ok, but what if your opponent prepares for that? Now you've got to pray that Picto doesn't decide to throw the line at you.

Now what if you do prepare, and then it throws out another transformation to screw you up?

If you really were learning to play the stage this is just one factor to take into account.
But that's the thing with Picto, it's never one factor to take into account. Any transformation can come at anytime, and you can get punished for trying to predict it and failing, or taking the risk and getting screwed by the stage.

Finally, can you explain how this is any worse than the situation described here:

"if you're lucario the support ghost on YI can gimp you... It's happened to me several times. opponent is on the ledge and I try to upB to wall cling, and the support ghost takes me up to stage level and I get ledgehogged. FML"
Unlike Picto chat, everyone knows that there is the chance of the ghost coming. You can prepare for that. Unlike Picto, when anything could come at any given time.

In both cases the stock was taken for seemingly random instances of the stage. This is testimony that it has happened several times on YI (in addition to the ghost unfairly saving someone). In both cases, by the way, the number of instances are barely statistically significant. Or are they? Hence my point that it is all a question of degree.
Addressed above. There's only one thing that has a chance of coming on YI: the ghost. Picto: anything that hasn't appeared yet. Two different degrees of randomness.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Exactly. I agree. They are different. Picto clearly has more random variables than YI. However I'll lead the Ban YI train if the reason for banning something is simply because of statistically insignificant randomness. I'm not convinced at all that Picto produces seemingly random results in a set (ie "weaker" player wins the set) any more than any number of variables can allow the "weaker" player to win.

Picto has been a very popular CP at almost every tournament it is featured in. Heck, it is probably selected more than FD is! So banning from tournaments will clearly hurt some players who prefer the stage and like to play on it. Everyone seems to forget that when you see Picto in tournament, that means one player actually wanted to play on that stage, and that the other player felt the stage wasn't worthy of wasting their ban on. Actually, even more than that, for most people Picto is probably like 3-4th deep in their queue of stages to ban each match. Obviously there are players out there who will want to ban Picto, but I'd easily guess those that would ban RC/Brinstar/FD far outweigh anyone who wants Picto gone. If the stage is such a problem why aren't more people banning it and why are so many people choosing it for CPs?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Flat characters = Picto is closest to FD despite how ******** it can get

Aerial characters = why CP this stage when you can go Brinstar/RC/etc

Picto is picked a lot because people want a stage closest to FD, and Picto IS closest to FD besides a broken LM. It's NOT picked a lot because it's "balanced" for MU's or because it's a "good" stage. I don't pick or attempt to pick Brinstar to just give me a slight advantage, I go for gold and try to get something ********. If FD was banned, I guarantee you would see people insta ban Picto instead for characters like Falco Diddy etc unless there was another promising stage like Japes that the character would like.

A CP stage being picked a lot is not a good sign. If anything, a CP stage rarely picked or banned should attest to how good of a stage it is. How many people do you know that ban Frigate or Castle Siege over RC/Brinstar/other stages? Those stages are brilliant CP wise, there's no way you could throw Pictochat into that boat.

I knew the Picto/YI comparison would come into play. There's a big difference though: YI only has 1 thing random that can only appear in 2 locations on the map. Left side, right side. Pictochat has not only more hazards and transformations than a paltry 1/2 (if you want to count the other side as a "different" thing), but they are also more likely to drastically shift gameplay compared to the ghost. Take away the random aspect of both stages, and what you have is YI as a starter or very VERY mild CP, while Picto would instantly be CP because of the different terrains and hazards it would allow. Now, randomize the two, and you still can't say YI is at the same level of "bad" as Picto.

I guess people are voicing their arguments for getting rid of Pictochat poorly, because the stage has more problems to it than the random aspect. Pictochat is extremely questionable because it is a stage that has Hazards and Transformations that no doubt make it at least on the CP level, and then with randomization kicking in it gives the level a lot of uncertainty regarding gameplay. Random itself isn't the main problem, it's randomizing a ton of things that if predictable or stationary would be easily CP worthy in itself that leads to trouble. There are some random things in this game that are acceptable, like the Smashville Balloon or the Ghost on YI. But Pictochat transformations and hazards are not nearly as acceptable as those fairly minor things.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh btw for more picot silliness, I dont have a replay of it but it definitely happened lol.

I was knocked away to the ledge of the stage by marths fmsash and I was well above KO%, as I flew past the left edge I hit an invisible wall and fell back on the stage. Immediately after I fell, the spikes appeared O_o Like it was a reasonable amount of time from when the invisible wall existed to when they appeared, at least a half a second lol. idk how long it had existed before I hit it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
DMG, I and BSP have been saying exactly that.

Pictochat's hazards would be FINE if there was fair warning or a patterns or a timer. The drawings themselves are more tame than any other transforming stage, but the WAY they appear is horrible for competition. You can't be ready for everything all the time while fighting your opponent. Guessing that one drawing might appear and planning for that could turn out to be deadly if a different on appears.

Very simple things can damage competition severly if there is no warning. No one legal stage throws stuff at you like Pictochat. WarioWare might as well be legal if Pictochat is. Random rewards for accomplishing the same task as your opponent.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alright, and now to bust out some stats:
At MLG in 2010, from a sampling of over 1,000 sets and over 2,300 games:
Pictochat
Banned: 30 times (~3% of all sets)
Used: 62 times (~2.7% of games)

Final Destination
Banned: 346 (~34% of all sets)
Used: 205 (~8.9% of games)

Final Destination is already banned in over 1/3rd of the sets played in competitive tournaments...and you guys are attacking Pictochat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom