• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpicking Made Peachy

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I always go Japes, followed by Luigi's Mansion.

It kills his air game completly, and lowers his KOing potential. Both stages are awesome and usually Ike doesn't get two bans. ;)

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Doesn't matter, Ike sucks.

jk jk (sorta) <_<

What meno said! And well if you can't go to those two i'd just go FD and play reaaaaaally gay. just waiting out those jumps and hitting with turnips. Actually on second thought, Lylat Cruise cud def tilt-gay his recovery and the platforms just seem pretty bad for ike and pretty **** for peach. It'd just be easier to predict his aerial movement w/ the platforms he has to get around.

D

Deleted member

go to yoshi's. even though it's a neutral in most tournaments, the long platform heavily limits ike's aerial approach game. just don't be stupid about running into SH fairs.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I always go Japes, followed by Luigi's Mansion.

It kills his air game completly, and lowers his KOing potential. Both stages are awesome and usually Ike doesn't get two bans. ;)

The flip side of Luigi's Mansion is that Peach will also have a harder time killing Ike, as well as a harder time knocked Ike out of the house. And Ike has attacks that can hit through the floors.

But yes, go for it, Ikes normally avoid LM, though some Ike's like the stage.

D

Deleted member

Luigi's Mansion is banned. Don't waste time talking about it.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
An incredibly bizzare thing happened to me the other day. Admittedly, I was using Sonic and not Peach but w/e

I'd got Ike offstage and ran towards him as he used his Up + B at the side of Yoshi's island. I sheilded it (I got a perfect sheild in because I think I sheilded a bit late). Ike came down and landed on the slanted part of the edge whilst I was still sheilding...

...and then he slid right off the stage, zooming diagonally downwards O.o Say wha?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's always legal in SoCal.
Also legal in Texas.

EDIT: Ya, that's the blast off glitch. A few stages have that when the slants are just right, Yoshi Island and Lylat being the most likely to occur. I've never heard of it actually happening in a tournament though. I've had it occur at Port Town Aeral Drive of all places, at the one stop completely off of the track with the round thing in the center and the two slide platforms.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Go Japes, but Ike bans it since its just impossible to win there unless his foe is in the exact same position he is in with water = death.

Any other stage is really preference, besides frigate being bad for Ike too.

D

Deleted member

Umbreons always trying to ban stages. :(
yeah, opponents might actually have to win based on skill rather than stage advantage or abusing bad stage/character combinations. crazy.

picking weird stages is a crutch for people that can't rely on skill to win. If you don't want your opponent to use skill, make them look away from the TV while you play.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
yeah, opponents might actually have to win based on skill rather than stage advantage or abusing bad stage/character combinations. crazy.

picking weird stages is a crutch for people that can't rely on skill to win. If you don't want your opponent to use skill, make them look away from the TV while you play.
if thats the case then the only stage that should be playable is FD, since its "technically" the most "balanced" stage.

but what if your fighting someone who has an advantage on all neutrals? isn't the point of picking a stage to give yourself an advantage in the first place even if its just living 5% longer?

picking slightly to really odd stages is not a crutch, its all part of strategy. and the picker has to have some skill to work with the stage otherwise you might get ***** even worse.

D

Deleted member

I didn't know people actually cared about the SBR rule set as far as stages go lol. Anyway yea, mansion is mad gay. ;o
well, they don't, but I can pretend.

if thats the case then the only stage that should be playable is FD, since its "technically" the most "balanced" stage.

but what if your fighting someone who has an advantage on all neutrals? isn't the point of picking a stage to give yourself an advantage in the first place even if its just living 5% longer?

picking slightly to really odd stages is not a crutch, its all part of strategy. and the picker has to have some skill to work with the stage otherwise you might get ***** even worse.
I mean, I can strategically pick port town aero dive as a means to negate my opponent's skill. I go from like 90% chance to lose to a 50/50, which is a pretty advantageous change of odds. And if you're not playing the correct few characters, no amount of skill is going to stop marth from edge camping you in the middle of yoshi pipes. We have counterpick stages without implicitly broken mechanics. For example, Ike is terrible at halberd, but Peach is probably too light to take him there with any level of safety. Better to try Yoshi's or Lylat instead.

History lesson, Japan used FD and DL64 for their only two stages for YEARS. So yeah, all FD isn't that bad of an idea, even if you try to make it sound ridiculous. We have proof that it worked fine.

I'd actually be very okay with an all battlefield and Smashville tournament.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
How about Rainbow Cruise? I would imagine Ike is a bit too slow to really keep up with the stage and have Peach coming in at any virtual angle at the same time.
One of your bad stages Vs him. He can kill you easy off the top on that stage. and the sides too. If you are on the top part of the stage with him, and uptilt can get you at 70-80%. I fougt a Good Ike there a while back and lost due to him killing me early on stuff like that. That stage is good for Ike with kills. Don't do it.

Stages to take Ike for me are:

Lylat
FD
Yoshi's
Japes

Dark.Pch trump card: Battlefield.

What to avoid:

PS1
Halberd
Rainbow cruise
Delfino

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Isn't battlefield a good stage for Ike? And why would final destination be bad for him?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Isn't battlefield a good stage for Ike? And why would final destination be bad for him?
That stage is not bad for him. But I make it bad for him. Ikes I play now know not to fight me there. Thats why I Put my name on that stage and said trump card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnwy3vLakeE this was a while ago but thing it can show what I can do to ike here. I love my platfroms.

And FD is good for us cause if Peach wanted to be an azz, we can camp him there. Reverse glide tosses and SMART camping can make the match really annoting for Ike.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Lol not johning but BF is a personal stage I Don't like :p I seriously do better on FD.
I was so waiting for something like this from you. I get things like this ALL the time from people.

Also, BattleField is my OWN personal playground.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I was so waiting for something like this from you. I get things like this ALL the time from people.

Also, BattleField is my OWN personal playground.
crud I'm being read outside the game. No wonder I got owned in game.

Rainbow cruise is where I'm at lol.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'm just saying that just cause you lost to me there, don't make it seem you are bad there. Who knows, maybe you are good on that stage. maybe you are not, I really can't know for sure since it sounds like an excuses. or maybe you just can't play me there in general? So Idk what to say on that Part. best to leave it alone.

But as I said. That stages really does nothing for Peach or Ike. Just a regluar stage. But I turn it into my playground. if my counterpick stages are usually banned or can't think of a stage to get at someone, I take them to BS. And gets the job done 90% of the time if I am able to win it.

And Yea Rainbow is good for you there. Only thing you have to becareful with is recovery and not get beat by the stage cause of it. Thats the downside to this advantage you have. But if you can deal with that, this stage is really for you against Peach. Hate fighting Ikes on this stage. did it once and lose and it was a tournament match..............never did it again.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Stages that favor Samus

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • Pokémon Stadium 1
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Norfair
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Green Greens

Stages that might not favor us? Everything else.

Deception

Smash Ace
I probably wouldn't list Luigi's Mansion as a good stage for Samus in this matchup. Back when I played Samus, my friend who mained Peach would destroy me on this stage. When Peach gets through your projectiles, you're screwed. She can combo so much easier on this stage because of ceilings and her dair. Definitely a good stage for Peach.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
yeah i think Mansion is more peach too, although Samus can Zair through the pillar right?

from Dryns list best neutral seems to be YI and even though she can live a while longer maybe JJ as cp?

how is Samus on FO?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
yeah i think Mansion is more peach too, although Samus can Zair through the pillar right?
I guess it depends on the Samus you're fighting. There's nothing more satisfying than getting in a jab lock on your opponent on that stage. The mansion can be destroyed, which also changes the situation.

from Dryns list best neutral seems to be YI and even though she can live a while longer maybe JJ as cp?
I don't know about the rest of the Samus mains, but I don't mind Yoshi's Island. It's only useful against Samus if you were Marth or a short character. Peach is neither, and she's usually floating, so the center part of the stage doesn't change much there. I didn't include it, simply because I don't go there as much as I do Battlefield or Final Destination.

As for Jungle Japes, yeah, it screws with Samus' z-air at times.

how is Samus on FO?
I beat a Mr. Game & Watch on that stage. I'm not sure.

Razmakazi said:
I also fail to see why the peach wouldn't raaaaaaaape on green greens.
She only has her Turnip for projectile attacks. Samus can camp.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
YI doesn't really do anything to peach either except mess up some autocancel attempts due to the stages dip. the last time i fought a Samus was there and neither of us really seemed bothered by it. and then stalling for the ghost can be a fun thing if you get spiked and want to wait it out.

i guess i can keep FO open, since im comfortable there.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
She only has her Turnip for projectile attacks. Samus can camp.
No. The walls will prevent Samus from backing up and zairing, and retreating to the edge while camping lines you up for low percent kills. Peach has more kill options than Samus, and unlike other stages, doesn't have to worry about sale moves nearly as much (plus, can refresh stale moves via turnips and peach bomber against the Greens blocks).

I can't see how Greens is anything but a Peach advantage stage here.

Top Bottom