• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Don't expect Ganondorf to be confirmed any time soon: he's likely to be a secret character once again. Peach, CF and DK should be confirmed in the coming weeks. Falco, sadly, might not make a return at all. We'll just have to see on that one.

And about all this Sheik business: the reason that it's such a big deal to many people on the forums is that Sheik IS a big deal in Melee. She (largely) dominates the competitive scene and is widely regarded as "broken", alongside Marth and Fox. Also, when we point out that Sheik is no longer "current", we do not mean to say that we should forget about OoT. I can't even believe I just used "forget" and "OoT" in the same sentence without the word "can't" preceding the two!

But notice that the characters are all getting visual upgrades to match their latest console forays. Link and Zelda have their TP garb; Mario has clothes akin to his SMG outfit; Samus has her Prime suit on; Wario is wearing his WarioWare attire; Fox's clothing is reflective of his Assault outing. Brawl is reflecting the "current" editions of these franchises (also note Pit's massive visual overhaul, a possible beginning for Kid Icarus Wii). In no way would we be tarnishing the name of OoT or erasing it from our minds by removing Sheik from the playable roster. (Remember that the possibility of him showing up as an AT is all-too possible). It is just that other Zelda characters need their time to shine alongside the Triforce Trio, i.e. Tingle, Midna, Vaati, Skull Kid, etc., not to mention the fact that Zelda would now have the chance to branch out as a fighter without her dual personality getting in the way.

Just something to think about.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Actually, Samus doesn't have her Prime suit on. Samus has a suit more closely resembling her Zero-Mission armor.

Albeit, her suit isn't purple, but that is an alternate color for it. And if you take close attention to detail about her lights and creases, you'll see she looks more like ZMSamus than Prime Samus.

And Mario... well... Mario just looks like Mario.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Meh. The Prime suit is just pointier. =P

And Mario will always look like Mario. But his style in Brawl is a far throw from his outfit in Sunshine, namely in the way of detail and coloring. Sunshine Mario is very bright and eye-catching. The Brawl / SMG version is darker and more detailed. I know it's essentially the same outfit, but I consider these to be crucial graphical changes.

...And in the same respect, we could say that Samus' suits are basically the same. :chuckle:

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
1) If you look at Mario from Mario Galaxy, you'll notice he just looks like an updated version of his Sunshine look. The only "dark" or "realistic" Mario is the one in Brawl.

2) Yea, Samus does look similar, always has. But look at the small differences.
a. No shoulder "nipple" in ZM and B
b. Visor is crescent shaped in ZM and B; Prime has straight edged visor
c. No lights on her thighs in ZM and B
d. Inner thigh plate is rounded in ZM and B; inner thigh has ridges in Prime
e. Chest lights resemble cat-eyes in ZM and B; Prime has straight, almost rectangular lights
f. Shoulder coil is broken by a metal strip in Prime; ZM and B has a solid shoulder coil
g. Helmet has a line across the top and an almost triangular forehead in ZM and B; Prime has no line and a circular forehead (hard to tell from the picture, but I looked at the artwork in the game manual for that one)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
1) If you look at Mario from Mario Galaxy, you'll notice he just looks like an updated version of his Sunshine look. The only "dark" or "realistic" Mario is the one in Brawl.

2) Yea, Samus does look similar, always has. But look at the small differences.
a. No shoulder "nipple" in ZM and B
b. Visor is crescent shaped in ZM and B; Prime has straight edged visor
c. No lights on her thighs in ZM and B
d. Inner thigh plate is rounded in ZM and B; inner thigh has ridges in Prime
e. Chest lights resemble cat-eyes in ZM and B; Prime has straight, almost rectangular lights
f. Shoulder coil is broken by a metal strip in Prime; ZM and B has a solid shoulder coil
g. Helmet has a line across the top and an almost triangular forehead in ZM and B; Prime has no line and a circular forehead (hard to tell from the picture, but I looked at the artwork in the game manual for that one)
Hm, well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I had it engraved in my mind that the Brawl Mario was quite similar to the SMG Mario. My apologies on behalf of my lapsing memory.

And I was only teasing you about the Samus thing. :laugh: I know that their suits are different, but it's neat that you pointed out all the details.

Stryks

Smash Hero
God I have to freaking save this post in case it happens again:

Which game came 1st, metroid prime or MZM? answer metroid prime, MP brought the deatils in samus armor, it was the 1st to add lights to her chest and shoulder pads, following games like MP2,MPH,MP3 and MZM still use these lights, so if anything MZM look was take from mp, that was used in Brawl, lets say its kidna like a crossover between metroid prime and MZM, since it has the prime properties, but MZM properties as well...

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is not a guy lol

but anyway i just hope Samus is faster on Brawl she was kinda hard for me personally to contraol but i mean she is good at far range attacks but anyway hmm i wonder how much Ganon would change if he used his sword but also wonder how much every one else like Peach will change and would Daisy be a clone or just her costume again?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Sheik is not a guy lol
We have discussed this on the forums ad nauseam, but the conclusion is that Sheik is, in fact, male. Yes, Zelda is female, but her transfiguration also changes her gender.

And you mentioned Daisy: please no. Toad is far more deserving of a spot in Brawl, but I'd be happy to see Daisy as an AT.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Toad could do quite a few things. There are a couple movesets posted in the Toad Discussion thread that offer insight into Toad's various abilities and allude to the many hats he has worn throughout his VG career. Toad's always been my favorite character, so I feel that he deserves a chance to fight this time around.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
We have discussed this on the forums ad nauseam, but the conclusion is that Sheik is, in fact, male. Yes, Zelda is female, but her transfiguration also changes her gender.

And you mentioned Daisy: please no. Toad is far more deserving of a spot in Brawl, but I'd be happy to see Daisy as an AT.
When the fvck did we decide that Sheik was male? Really Aeris, do your research before you open your mouth... or post window. You're not doing so hot on the boards right now:

1) Mario is the same in SMG as he is in SMS and SM64, only his Brawl look differs (not much, but it does). You said SMG was like Brawl. ~STRIKE ONE~
2) Samus looks more like herself in ZM than Prime. You said she has her Prime outfit. ~STRIKE TWO~
3) Sheik is, infact, a girl. We argued, and even though there are still believers that she is male, the general population knows the truth that she is female. It says so in Melee and in the OoT strategy guide, and also, in both games she was voiced by Jun Mizusawa, a Japanese female voice actress. The only person to refer to Sheik as a male in OoT was Princess Ruto, and even she wasn't 100% sure about it. Sheik is female. You say male. It's not entirely clear what the correct answer is, but I'm still counting it as ~STRIKE THREE~

Fawriel

Smash Master
No reason to be mean, Dyce.

Actually, it can go both ways.
Sheik is Zelda, so Sheik is female.
On the other hand, Sheik is the name of a male costume.
It's like a girl dressing up as Captain Hook for a play. The entity is female, but the role by which she'll be addressed is male.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
When the fvck did we decide that Sheik was male? Really Aeris, do your research before you open your mouth... or post window. You're not doing so hot on the boards right now:

1) Mario is the same in SMG as he is in SMS and SM64, only his Brawl look differs (not much, but it does). You said SMG was like Brawl. ~STRIKE ONE~
2) Samus looks more like herself in ZM than Prime. You said she has her Prime outfit. ~STRIKE TWO~
3) Sheik is, infact, a girl. We argued, and even though there are still believers that she is male, the general population knows the truth that she is female. It says so in Melee and in the OoT strategy guide, and also, in both games she was voiced by Jun Mizusawa, a Japanese female voice actress. The only person to refer to Sheik as a male in OoT was Princess Ruto, and even she wasn't 100% sure about it. Sheik is female. You say male. It's not entirely clear what the correct answer is, but I'm still counting it as ~STRIKE THREE~
Well, let's see....

Princess Ruto is one of the SEVEN sages, and she adressed Shiek as him, don't you think Princess Ruto would know who he really is? All the sages knew Zelda went into hiding, so she would know what's she was talking about. I'm pretty sure that the GAME itself is telling you at that moment-Shiek is a guy. SSBM has nothing to do with knowing Shiek's gender, because the creator of sHiEk wasn't in on the game. Plus, in OoT and melee, don't you think they would have given him.....curves?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Don't give me this guys. Dyce is right. Sheik is a **** girl. I mean look at one of her taunts in melee where she blows a kiss or something...girl. Also, just because Ruto is a Sage don't mean anything. She wouldn't expect a Sage to conceal herself or the fact that Ruto could have been with the scheme the whole time. Also, if Ruto knew, I am sure Ganondorf would know because he is higher than one Sage. That tight suit can conceal any woman also so don't give me that. Impa taught her the ways of Sheikah also so don't use that. She also has a girly voice and has some b00bs so don't give me that. She is a girl and that is the end. Don't argue with your n00bish ways you n00bs. Learn Zelda then argue.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Don't give me this guys. Dyce is right. Sheik is a **** girl. I mean look at one of her taunts in melee where she blows a kiss or something...girl. Also, just because Ruto is a Sage don't mean anything. She wouldn't expect a Sage to conceal herself or the fact that Ruto could have been with the scheme the whole time. Also, if Ruto knew, I am sure Ganondorf would know because he is higher than one Sage. That tight suit can conceal any woman also so don't give me that. Impa taught her the ways of Sheikah also so don't use that. She also has a girly voice and has some b00bs so don't give me that. She is a girl and that is the end. Don't argue with your n00bish ways you n00bs. Learn Zelda then argue.

he does not blow a kiss. he holds his hands and does a ninja symbol. And wtf ganon wouldnt know if ruto did! All the sages new! It said they met in secret, Zelda probably told them that she was going into hiding, so... so ruto must have just said that to protect her identity...

shi*. Shieks a girl.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
My God, she's a girl. Think Nintendo know the most, like when they say in melee on Sheik trophy, "she..." (ect), that means girl, no?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Thank you for actually posting smart roy_owns.(though I love getting on you)
And Ganondorf would know if Ruto knew because he is higher and much more powerful. I think he would be able to find out. You guys are n00bs. Just listen to me. ethan, I have already lectured you on my Zelda stuff before....don't doubt me.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Alright, normally I try to avoid these types of debates, but come on people. Sheik is an effing girl. Obviously, Zelda disguised herself as a dude so as to throw off suspicions when some random Sheikah starts running around helping out Link. Not to mention that the creators of the game wanted to throw us off as players from figuring out who she was before we got to the payoff.

I mean, a simple application of Ockham's razor kills any reason to believe she's a dude. I mean, you have to basically invent some magical way that Zelda can change her gender, when she could just as easily dress up as a dude, and have fooled the characters she interacts with, not to mention you, into believing she's a dude for the afor mentioned reasons, none of which requires any special explination. Ever see the movie "She's the Man"? How about "Some Like it Hot" or "Sorority Girls"? Or the recent "Norbit"? Granted these are probably not the best examples I can use, but the point is, one does not need magical gender powers to disguise oneself as a member of the opposite sex, and inventing some convenient magical deus ex machina to explain what is already easily explainable is completely unnecessary.

And I don't want to hear any of that "Zelda's magic, so of course she can change genders" crap. Gandalf is magic, and you don't see him parading around as a busty she-Orc.

Let's face it here; the entire arguement for Sheik being a dude is based on one instance, whereas the arguement for Sheik being a girl is based on common sense, every other instance in which Sheik is addressed, and knowledge of human anatomy.

As far as Ruto goes, let's think about this. If Ruto, who is clearly portrayed as not the brightest cookie in the jar, is not fooled by Zelda's disguise, then how good of a disguise is it anyway?

Sorry for my long rant, but I honestly can't believe this is still being discussed.

Attempting to get somewhat back on topic, I thought I read somewhere awhile back someone suggesting the possibility of Bowser having his moves changed, and I just wanted to point out that three out of four specials are shown in the pics they included for him.

Yes, that was a weak atempt... oh well...

Andy

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

O_O

ReeeeOW! Someone's getting catty on Smashboards! :dizzy:

1) Simple mistake, my fault.

2) I'm not terribly familiar with the ZM setup (sue me). It looked close enough to Prime to me, but I apologize for my poor judgment. Again a simple mistake that I own up to.

3) This is still a point of contention with a lot of people, and I suppose this was a mistake on my part to figure that we had settled it the last time we discussed this. I seem to recall debating this a while back--as in pre-2007, meaning before you were on the boards--and I think that we reached the consensus that Sheik was male and Zelda really did change genders during her transformation. I could be mistaken, and I'd hate to have you bring the Hammer Of Ultimate Judgment*© down ANOTHER time, adding to my heinous errors, but I'll leave it up to you to decide.

(I underlined the operative phrases so that there is no doubt in your mind that I am unsure as to the factuality of what I have just said. No harm, no foul).

Sheik may be voiced by a girl, but so is Kirby and so is Toad (Kinopio). Kirby is male and Toad (Kinopio) is male. Ergo, your voice actor "theory" does not hold true in every situation. But with the overwhelming support of quite a few people, I'm happy to accept that Sheik is male. If that is what is canon and held as fact in the Zeldaverse, far be it from me to contend with "reality", however real a video game universe may be. "Strike three", as you so condescendingly call it.

That being said: please refrain from acting so childish on the boards. Smashboards is supposed to be fun; the last thing we need is for someone throwing a tantrum over a few simple--and harmless--mistakes, let alone one about the ambiguous (by your own admission!) gender of a video game character. I have no problem admitting mistakes and possible omissions, and I'm more than happy to be corrected if necessary. But please keep from developing a god complex in the process, huh?

Thanks.

(Oh, and "in fact" is, in fact, two words). :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Alright, normally I try to avoid these types of debates, but come on people. Sheik is an effing girl. Obviously, Zelda disguised herself as a dude so as to throw off suspicions when some random Sheikah starts running around helping out Link. Not to mention that the creators of the game wanted to throw us off as players from figuring out who she was before we got to the payoff.
I like you because you used "deus ex machina" later in the post. You win. :) On the off-topic, however, I can accept that Sheik is physically still a female (Zelda). But she is disguised as a male Sheikah (Sheik). So it depends on how you phrase the question: what is Sheik (Zelda)'s gender, or what is Sheik (the character / role)'s gender? In essence, we're all right. Let's go back to the love and harmony known as Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2), shall we? Let's.

Well, I'm glad to see Bowser has been confirmed to Brawl.
As am I. I knew that he would be getting a makeover, but this latest update exceeds my expectations. Once we get the "Bowser: Special Moves" update I think we might be able to discern just what this "new flavor" is to which Sakurai alludes.

RespectCaptFalcon

Smash Rookie
The Bowser confirmation was awesome, as he was my second most-used character from SSBM. Now if Captain Falcon could make a return.

stryderhyru

Smash Journeyman
y was bowser confirmation awsome o.oi think it was sorta lame i mean they give us 1 new add a day and they ruin it by givin us sumone like bowser and they dont even give a good summery ...there like yea hes difrent yep yep -_- ....lameness to the max

WESTRON

Smash Rookie
I think bowser update was really cool. It doesnt show at first glance but you can tell his play style has changed. He has longer limbs now and seems bigger to me also. He also appears to have much more range too. This is good news to me because its confirmation that they dont mind changing veteran fighters this time around which may give characters whith good potential that they screwed up in melee a chance in brawl, for example, mewtwo.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
It's like a girl dressing up as Captain Hook for a play. The entity is female, but the role by which she'll be addressed is male.
I can't believe two whole pages were eaten away by a simple argument over the wording of a single question. Is it REALLY this important?

Princess Ruto is one of the SEVEN sages, and she adressed Shiek as him, don't you think Princess Ruto would know who he really is?
If the sages aren't ever wrong, then wouldn't it be wise to assume that the answer you seek resides with the coenciding opinoin of six sages rather than the plot-protected opinion of one?

Sheik is a girl you n00bs
Haha, one of the most intelligent posts of the last few pages. It far excedes my own. (That was not sarcasm, I was being genuine, please don't discuss it, just accept it.)

(though I love getting on you)

Just listen to me. ethan, I have already lectured you on my Zelda stuff before....don't doubt me.
No homo.

Such a concieted post.

O_O

Thanks.
:)
First off, I'm terribly sorry for destroying that amazing post without your permission. While I wasn't happy about the target, I will say that your post was demoralization, flaming, and intelligent, all conveniently stuffed into one happy black screen.

"Condescending" equals bad diction in my humble opinion.

The way I put together that new "edited" post made what you said sound funny.

y was bowser confirmation awsome o.oi think it was sorta lame i mean they give us 1 new add a day and they ruin it by givin us sumone like bowser and they dont even give a good summery ...there like yea hes difrent yep yep -_- ....lameness to the max
Anticipating flaming over the next few "normal" waking hours. No offense to you, but you just went against the grain of popular opinion on this thread and, fair or not, you must now deal with the consequences. Don't feel bad if your idea is rejected, people aren't always so open-minded here...or something.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
O_O

ReeeeOW! Someone's getting catty on Smashboards! :dizzy:

2) I'm not terribly familiar with the ZM setup (sue me). It looked close enough to Prime to me, but I apologize for my poor judgment. Again a simple mistake that I own up to.

3) This is still a point of contention with a lot of people, and I suppose this was a mistake on my part to figure that we had settled it the last time we discussed this. I seem to recall debating this a while back--as in pre-2007, meaning before you were on the boards--and I think that we reached the consensus that Sheik was male and Zelda really did change genders during her transformation. I could be mistaken, and I'd hate to have you bring the Hammer Of Ultimate Judgment*© down ANOTHER time, adding to my heinous errors, but I'll leave it up to you to decide.

(I underlined the operative phrases so that there is no doubt in your mind that I am unsure as to the factuality of what I have just said. No harm, no foul).

Sheik may be voiced by a girl, but so is Kirby and so is Toad (Kinopio). Kirby is male and Toad (Kinopio) is male. Ergo, your voice actor "theory" does not hold true in every situation. But with the overwhelming support of quite a few people, I'm happy to accept that Sheik is male. If that is what is canon and held as fact in the Zeldaverse, far be it from me to contend with "reality", however real a video game universe may be. "Strike three", as you so condescendingly call it.

That being said: please refrain from acting so childish on the boards. Smashboards is supposed to be fun; the last thing we need is for someone throwing a tantrum over a few simple--and harmless--mistakes, let alone one about the ambiguous (by your own admission!) gender of a video game character. I have no problem admitting mistakes and possible omissions, and I'm more than happy to be corrected if necessary. But please keep from developing a god complex in the process, huh?

Thanks.

(Oh, and "in fact" is, in fact, two words). :)
It's not the fact that you were wrong, I just hate when people come into threads and act like they know everything about everything without so much as doing the few extra seconds of time to click over to Google or Wiki and get their facts straight. Maybe that's not who you are, but that's what those few posts made you look like. I appologize for acting so "high and mighty", but I just hate know-it-alls who are just n00bs and don't get anything right. I assumed that's what you were, but I see now that that's most likely not the case. Once again, I appologize for my rudeness. I'm just trying to rid the world of n00bs.

And thank you for correcting me on my confusion with the phrase :"in fact". Now I'll look less like an idiot when I write it out correctly in the future.

And the only reason I seemed to have "all the answers" was because I just recently (and coincidently) debated about all those things just recently. Had you commented on those things about two weeks ago, I would have agreed with you entirely and just accepted it. But I couldn't let life continue another day with someone who hadn't seen the light.

And I believe Sheik is a girl. You can believe Sheik is a boy if you want. I really don't care anymore. Really though, I just hate debating about this. Someone needs to write Miyamoto a letter asking him. Then we can finally settle this once-and-for-all and get to sleep at night not wondering anymore. Goddam gender ambiguity!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

As for the Bowser update... loved it! I'll take any character update, unless it's a moveset update for a returning character. The only "returning character moveset update" I'm interested in is Zelda's. Does she have her old moves back? And if she does... is Sheik here?

But prepared people, after two spectacular updates on a Monday and Tuesday, we usually get the worlds worst update the following Wednesday.
EXAMPLES:
1) Monday, May 28- Pit's Special Moves
Tuesday, May 29- The Final Smash and Mario's Final Smash
Wednesday, May 30- Moving and Shooting
(Not a terrible update, but not something that really made anyone go "WOW!")

2) Monday, June 4- Yoshi's Story: Ending (great song IMO)
Tuesday, June 5- Pokeballs and Groudon
Wednesday, June 6- You must recover!
(Oh my gosh! Really!? I can jump in the air!?... Thanks. Not a great week in general either.)

3) Monday, June 25- Zelda (ZOMG! Zelda wasn't in the trailers! Yay Sakurai!)
Tuesday, June 26- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Medley (ZOMG! Zelda stage!)
Wednesday, June 27- Banana Peel
( . . . I KNOW WHAT ****ING BANANA PEELS DO GODDAMIT!)

Hopefully, I'm wrong though, and we get another phenominal update tomorrow. *Fingers crossed*

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I remember that Nintendo Power ran an article not too long ago as a look back at Smash and an analysis of its popularity, etc. and whatever. Regardless, the part that struck my fancy two years ago (or so) came back into my mind again recently. I dug it up--I save all of my NP copies, fanboy that I am, haha--and I will reprint the section of note.

[QUOTE="Nintendo Power, Vol. 195 (September 2005)]
The Revolution Smash Bros. game will no doubt be extraordinary. Since details on the game are shy, we figured we'd entertain ourselves with some harmless speculation. In our interviews for this article, we asked everyone what characters they want to see in the next-gen Smash game. Boy did we open up a floodgate. Opinions on this subject are very strong, and there are so many great Nintendo characters that were not included in SSBM or have existed only post-Melee. SSBM offers 25 playable characters in the game (not including Sheik). But in such a highly customizable game, we say the more the merrier!

Wario and Toad came out at the top of the most-wanted list. Other characters our interviewees want to see include Waluigi, the Hammer Bros., Captain Olimar, Dark Samus, Diddy Kong, Grit from Advance Wars, Fawful from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Poo from Earthbound, Pit from Kid Icarus, Bald Bull from Punch-Out!!, Ike from upcoming Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, anyone from the Paper Mario world and non-Nintendo characters such as Sonic. There were very specific requests, too, such as a vacuum-wielding Luigi and Deku Scrub Link. And whle we're sure there will be many surprises in the new Smash game, all we can do is cross our fingers and wait.[/QUOTE]

Said interviewees included, but may not have been limited to: Jason Rice (MLG), Ricky Tilton (SWF - Gideon!), Tim O'Leary (Nintendo), Pete Michaud (NP / Nintendo), Nate Bihldorff (Nintendo), Alan Averill (NP / Nintendo), Tom Eberspecher (Nintendo), J.C. Smith (Nintendo), Bill Trinen (Nintendo). A large portion of the Nintendo employees interviewed were part of Treehouse, the group responsible for putting out the English version of SSBM.

Now, let's take a good hard look at the characters presented. Of those characters, both Wario and Pit have been confirmed for Brawl as playable characters. Hammer Bro has been likewise confirmed as an Assist Trophy character. Toad's spot at the top of the list gives Toad fans (myself included) hope that our beloved shroom will actually have a spot in the limelight once more, instead of being relegated to AT status. Diddy is almost a shoe-in for more DK representation, as is Ike, based on the inclusion of a stage that bears his emblem. (Side note: I had never even heard the name Ike until people began including him on their lists of must-have characters for Brawl. Did NP actually predict the onslaught of requests, or am I just oblivious to the FE series? Probably the latter). While I doubt that Bald Bull will appear as a playable fighter, I do think that Little Mac will enter the fray for our control. Sakurai's note that many of the fighters will have "new flavors" increase the chances of Vacuum Luigi.

Yes, this article is from two years ago. But with a fair portion of the candidates being confirmed for inclusion already, this slightly outdated article could prove a handy checklist for Brawl. Expect to see more of these in the coming weeks, either as ATs or perhaps even characters (if we're lucky!). Unless, of course, they're hidden characters; then, don't expect them to appear for a while. :chuckle:

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I'm just curious as to why Meta Knight hasn't been updated yet. You don't think he's a secret character do you? I don't see why he would be. He was the first newcomer revealed in the trailers.

I hope he isn't because he's the first new character I want to play with. But if he is, there's nothing I can do about that and I'll just play as Pit for the time being.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
They probably wanted to wait on putting up profiles for second characters for each franchise until most of the starting ones were represented. So, now that we've seen Zelda and Bowser, Meta Knight shouldn't be too far off.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm just curious as to why Meta Knight hasn't been updated yet. You don't think he's a secret character do you? I don't see why he would be. He was the first newcomer revealed in the trailers.

I hope he isn't because he's the first new character I want to play with. But if he is, there's nothing I can do about that and I'll just play as Pit for the time being.
I actually do think that he's a secret character. We all know that Sakurai-san was too modest to include Dedede in SSB64 or SSBM for fear of overrepresenting his own franchise. And Sakurai said that Snake would be included as a hidden character, as would any other possible third-party characters. My guess is that Metaknight AND Dedede will both appear in the game as hidden characters. Sakurai revealed a handful of new characters in the trailer, default (Pit, Wario, ZSamus?) and secret (Snake, MK), to pique interest and to keep the rumor mills a-churning. MK's presence in the trailer was probably his way of saying, "Don't worry: he's in. You'll just have to sit tight for a little while."

But hey, at least Pit's default! :)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Dang, looks like I missed all the fighting. Oh well, it's probably for the best, I think I piss off enough people already. Speaking of which, some thoughts...

Aeris,
Two things. 1) Nice to know you caught my meaning. Sometimes I go over people's heads. Even mine. 2) Also, that's a very interesting bit of NP info, but I'm not sure if I agree that it will be an accurate predictor of what we'll see in Brawl. That is, just because a character is fairly popular doesn't mean that character has an automatic in. I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, Sonic was heavily requested for Melee, but we didn't see him. It's still interesting though.

Dyce,
Yes, I've also noticed that trend of following up good info near the beginning of the week by bringing down the proverbial crap hammer of obscure or trivial information near the end of the week. I think it's because honestly, if they hook us at the beginning of the week, we're not going anywhere by Weds. Darned variable ratio reinforcement schedule.
Also, not that it's any of my business, because I come down as hard on the n00bs as anybody (so maybe I can relate?), but sometimes it helps me to consider that we're all n00bs compared to someone. And that someone is Chuck Norris.

stryderhyru,
Contrary to, and possibly because of (I haven't decided myself actually) Rhyme's post, I'm not going to flame you for not being thrilled about the Bowser update. What I am going to say is that if this doesn't excite you, you should probably get ready for a lot of disappointment. In a world of Bannana Peels and music updates, this is probably as exciting as it's going to get for awhile. Assuming most of the starters for Melee return we've got a decent amount of time before they'll have to tell us anything new characterwise. Unless I'm wrong. But I don't think I am.

Now I return to the long, lonely solitude that is waiting for the next update.

Andy

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I agree that popularity is not a sole indicator of one's placement in Smash (re: G&W); some of those choices listed seemed a bit obscure, though, namely Bald Bull (instead of Little Mac?!), Fawful (I like him, but it just seemed odd to see him as being apparently popular) and Hammer Bro (was he really that highly requested?). Hopefully we'll get another chance to test the accuracy of this list in two hours' time. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom