• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
She's sort of in Echoes, but only at the end (and with a good enough completion rate) in a cinema. If you really want to play as her, you'll have to play Zero Mission for GBA. Also, Prime 1 is better than Prime 2.

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
Hehehaha... it's an ironic statement due to a typo.

I'm loving the new song. And I like how it drops the hint/possibility of Ridley in the title. I've never played or owned a Metroid game other than MP:Hunters (which I love), but the music is wicked sick. I can't wait to see what Ridley will be in this game. Personally, as much as I'd like to see him as a playable character, I think he'll be another NPC like Kraid was, terrorizing the level behind you. I'd like to see this: a level on a platform that's perpetually falling down a hole while Ridley chases after you. OR! same thing, only without the platform and you fight on Ridley's back. I don't know what Metroid that was from, but I saw a Youtube video and it looked fun.
why does you "sig" have my name in it but for what purpose.:p

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Maybe I'll go pick up Metroid Prime 1 & 2. I'm curious to know how Dark Samus came to be. Is Zero-Suit Samus in either of those games? I'd like to know what her deal is too.
Dark Samus is an interesting one. You don't fight against her at all in Prime 1, so if you want to see the AMAZING Dark Samus in action, buy both games. Prime two was kinda stupid with the ammo system, but attribute advantages made this ammo limit necessary. Spoiler:
At the end of Prime 1, you fight Metroid Prime in two different forms. During this fight, your suit becomes supercharged and you can use the phazon beam to overload the energy-plasma-ish Metroid Prime's second form, and it begins to degenerate. It lashes out and grabs Samus, absorbing her power suit in an attempt to get a hold of something solid to cling to, and this overloaded phazon energy fuses with Samus' suit and weaponry to create Dark Samus.
That's why Dark Samus is similar, yet not a clone, and constantly needs to feast on phazon.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Read the spoiler. :( I kinda had to. I don't like secrets.

So...
now what does that make Dark Samus? Does that make it the "Metroid Prime" or "Prime Metroid" or whatever? Or does it make it the spawn of that?
I think I'm just going to go out and buy the games soon. I have always wanted to play them, but never got around to buying them. And also, I'm making a summer resolution to get back into FE:poR and finally beat it before FE:GoD comes out.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Alright everyone, just because we all know how to put up spoilers doesn't mean we can start spamming...

Falco and Meta Knight FTW!!!

ANYWAYS... I'm curious as to why we havn't seen any of Zamus in the screenshots we've been getting with our updates. Anyone think they have an answer?

Also, in the one screenshot explaining the "Support Ghost", it looks like Mario has been spiked onto the platform by Wario. But the move Wario hits with is one while he's on his feet. If you look at where Wario's standing though, he's on an extremely sloped plane. Does anyone else think that maybe a lot more moves will be given spike or semi-spike abilities from those corners of the map?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I can't highlight text on my Wii...darn you all and your spoilers!

^^^
We haven't seen Snake either. It's probably just a coinkidink, or maybe they're saving those characters details for their respective updates.

As for Wario and those slopes...I think that just shows the physics and collision systems have been upgraded. In that vein, any move that gives lateral knockback could spike, given the correct positioning. But how many moves have straight/downward knockback?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
mu ha ha ha i have some kinda power however little it is muhahaha(Cheif Mandaze thise about you)
YOU LIKE CHEESE TOO!!!
sorry dyce had to have a little fun :)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Understandable PIMPSLAP, just don't get carried away with it.

As for straight/downward knockback... there's Sheik's fAir, Link's uB, Marth (& maybe Roy)'s dA tilt, Fox's shine... I'm willing to bet there's more but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Aaaaaand I can't wait for the update tonight.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Nah, Roy's down tilt launches people upwards. His forward smash (when sweet spotted), though, has a lower trajectory than Marth's (sweetspotted)(which makes it seem stronger). Also, Yoshi and Young Link's down smashes launch people almost horizontal.

To be on topic...if Young Link disappears, Link should get his down smash, his dash attack, and the second hit of his forward smash...<_<

Also, it would be kinda cool if there were more laterally launching attacks (the enhanced airgame could compensate) and the angle your character is standing would effect it.

But...Mario's landing doesn't necessarily have to be a result of Wario's punch. Someone could have just knocked him over there and he's in the middle of bouncing off the ground and Wario is punching for the heck of it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Poppycock! Link's next to perfect as he is now! If they tighten up his Nair (just a tad more knockback) and give him his N64 boomerang...let's just say I'd be a happy camper.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Nah, other that's been given to other lesser characters as a weapon dash. His current one has a larger hitbox anyway, and that's a bit more important when it comes to dash attacks. A little less lag on it wouldn't hurt though.

But doesn't Y. Link's Down Smash have upwards knockback? I really like Link's horizontal effect that comes from his Melee Down Smash...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I found out recently that Link's dtilt is a spike/meteor. It's really hard to tell what it does because if you hit an aerial opponent they are smacked immediately into the ground BUT ONLY if the opponent falls right on top of Link, therefore it can not be used on edges (to my knowledge).

Hey Mendez... don't you sleep?

Devastlian

Smash Lord
But doesn't Y. Link's Down Smash have upwards knockback? I really like Link's horizontal effect that comes from his Melee Down Smash...
Nope, it's the other way around. Young Link's launches them forward with low knockback and Link's launches them up and slightly behind him. Same with their dash attacks and the second hit of their forward smash (Link's sends them upwards and a little away) but Young Link's hit at a higher angle than his down smash.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
Hey Mendez... don't you sleep?
Not during summer days/nights when I don't have work the next day.

X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
I found out recently that Link's dtilt is a spike/meteor. It's really hard to tell what it does because if you hit an aerial opponent they are smacked immediately into the ground BUT ONLY if the opponent falls right on top of Link, therefore it can not be used on edges (to my knowledge).
No, it won't hit an edged opponent. I'll have to try out that spike though...can't say I ever thought to use a downward attack on an enemy that's above me.

Devastlian said:
Nope, it's the other way around. Young Link's launches them forward with low knockback and Link's launches them up and slightly behind him. Same with their dash attacks and the second hit of their forward smash (Link's sends them upwards and a little away) but Young Link's hit at a higher angle than his down smash.
Mmm. Good call.

Well, it's of little consequence to me. Years of playing as Link and Link alone has rendered me totally incapable of using Y. Link effectively. I never really understood the appeal, and now that I think about it, I've never really liked the character (as far as Smash goes).

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I find it to be a nice switch. All of those projectiles and more speed to complement them. His killing moves are different but they're still pretty good. I...actually like playing as everybody in SSBM really. I don't like this whole "main" thing. :/ I'm excited about getting to try all of the characters in SSBB. They all looks like fun characters. :3

Fawriel

Smash Master
Go Young Link, go Young Link!
So.
Young Link's down-smash.. has low knockback? If you say so. It CAN knock the enemy upwards very weakly, though, if they're standing too close.
And yes, his down-tilt is a meteor that not many people see coming. It works surprisingly well on people coming from below and even from above. So most of the time when you pop up an enemy with the d-tilt, they're actually meteored into the ground.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
By low knockback I mean between 45 degrees (like most forward launching attacks) and horizontal. Not low like Fox's reflector after the initial hitbox of Link's spin attack (non-PAL).

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ooooooh, I actually thought you meant "low" as in "weak". Heh.

They totally need to fix his forward-smash. I miss, you know, being able to attack with it. =<
In fact, the new Young Link, WW Link, should get completely different sword moves from Link. Stuff that's actually useful without the huge range of Link's sword.
But now I'm crossing the line between "Confirmed" and "Assumed".

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
Dark samus and samus are sort of like sisters. Except one wants to kill the other. Yes dark samus may not be a actual clone but she has memories from samus past also. Dark samus is also jealous that samus is a real person while she is only on knockoff "as seen in the final scence of prime 2 when dark samus tried to touch samus before dissenagrating into the air.

also note that i think brawl needs baby samus in it.

Amy

Smash Cadet
Dark samus and samus are sort of like sisters. Except one wants to kill the other. Yes dark samus may not be a actual clone but she has memories from samus past also. Dark samus is also jealous that samus is a real person while she is only on knockoff "as seen in the final scence of prime 2 when dark samus tried to touch samus before dissenagrating into the air.

also note that i think brawl needs baby samus in it.
Baby samus wtf? :s

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
ha ill explain
back in metroid prime 2 the orginal Samus raids the metriods home planet to kill the queen and destroy the metroids forever. Samus succeds in killing the queen and all the metroids in the hive die. Soon the planet starts to self-destruct. On her way out samus runs into a egg hatching. A baby metriod pops out and seeing samus in front of her she thinks samus is her mother and starts to float and chirp around her. Samus feeling sorry for the baby takes it in. In metriod 3 orginal, samus baby is taken by ridley and after a long chase and more battles samus comes face to face with Mother brain again. Samus destroys her shield and is about to finsh her untill mother gets on a robotic body and fires a beam at samus almost killing her. Baby samus then bust into the room and attacks mother brains well..brain XD. Baby samus then heals her mom and gives her a mega boost of energy charing up her beam gun into a super beam gun. But mother brain fires a beam at baby samus and kills her. The remains fall on samus. (yes samus is very pissed.) She then kills mother brain. But we will always rember that sweet baby.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
^^^
Poppycock! Link's next to perfect as he is now! If they tighten up his Nair (just a tad more knockback) and give him his N64 boomerang...let's just say I'd be a happy camper.
Haha, seriously, you'll camp the boomerang. ^^

...just found that out? x.X Link's Dtilt can be a meteor, but it's harder to hit with, I believe the enemy must be traveling downward or something like that? It's also one of the easier meteor attacks to meteor cancel, which makes it a bit less usefull unless you follow it up with an upB spike. Speaking of spikes, watch this video's introduction. The Shiek player in this cleverly named video upB cancels Marth's spike from a sweetspoted position. The person winds up being edgehoged anyway, but the fact that this person got spiked by Marth at almost 100% and would have lived...pretty exciting.

Also, I put that in spoiler tags because it was plot detail information, which then gives you the option to...erm...spoil it for yourself.

Meta77: Don't feel like quoting a bunch of stuff that won't be visible anyway. I had never heard of a baby metroid helping Samus, but that's such a sweet story. I don't really think a metroid would make a good character, but the baby metroid might make an apperance in Samus' 1P story.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Meta are u high? That wasnt in metroid prime 2, that was f'king super metroid, and no theyre never gonna add a generic metroid, maybe part of a adventure mode, but not as playable, beeing samus's "baby" or not...

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Ooooooh, I actually thought you meant "low" as in "weak". Heh.

They totally need to fix his forward-smash. I miss, you know, being able to attack with it. =<
In fact, the new Young Link, WW Link, should get completely different sword moves from Link. Stuff that's actually useful without the huge range of Link's sword.
But now I'm crossing the line between "Confirmed" and "Assumed".

Yeah..Iam the same way as in saying Paper Mario having a helleva high chance being in this game.First party characters such as these 2 should have 2 versions of themsleves anyhow.Both past and present time.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Guys, read Meta's post a bit closer. He says "Metroid 2" and "Metroid 3", aka The Return of Samus (GB) and Super Metroid (SNES). The Metroid games are all numbered, much the same way the FE games are, even though the titles don't show it.

Fawriel said:
Yeah, that's why it's so awkward for me. All the moves are the same...but then they don't hit when they should. If Y. Link returns, he definitely needs some different sword attacks.

Rhyme said:
Haha, seriously, you'll camp the boomerang. ^^
Well I never!

I just want to be able to use the darn thing off of a single jump like in the 64 version. You can still throw it after one jump in Melee, but only if you make if a full jump, and you have great timing.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Actually if YOU read his post closely, Chief Mendez, you'll see he said "Metroid Prime 2" not Metroid 2. He probably did mean Metroid 2, but when he put Prime in there it confused some of us... including me.
Or just give Meta77 the benefit of the doubt like I did if you know what should actually be written there, or what shouldn't in this case.

Well I never!

I just want to be able to use the darn thing off of a single jump like in the 64 version. You can still throw it after one jump in Melee, but only if you make if a full jump, and you have great timing.
Landing doesn't cancel your animation, so you could still SHboomerang if you wanted. Link's fastfalling nature makes him better in Melee IMO. If you're just looking for decreased lag like in Smash64, I'm fairly certain that lag was added on purpose so players couldn't spam the boomerang like in the first game. :ohwell:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
Actually if YOU read his post closely, Chief Mendez, you'll see he said "Metroid Prime 2" not Metroid 2. He probably did mean Metroid 2, but when he put Prime in there it confused some of us... including me.
Well, clearly that's just my hyper-metroid-senses kicking in, letting me instantly recognize which game he was talking about while subconsciously deleting the "prime" from the post. Clearly.

Also, what Rhyme said.

Rhyme said:
Landing doesn't cancel your animation, so you could still SHboomerang if you wanted. Link's fastfalling nature makes him better in Melee IMO. If you're just looking for decreased lag like in Smash64, I'm fairly certain that lag was added on purpose so players couldn't spam the boomerang like in the first game.
"Spam" my foot. The trade-off of power over speed (launching speed) in Melee was a weird choice. I'd have thought the bow would be Link's power projectile, while the boomerang would've stayed the fast, versatile one. But that's just me.

While I'm talking about Link, there was another thing I'd like to see changed in Brawl: his normal A combo of "slash, slash, thrust". If I'm not mistaken, it was always "slash, slash, multi-poke" in 64, and they added the SST to Melee. Even if I'm wrong, the point is that I want to know which move Link's going to use, and so he should either keep the SST or the Multipoke, but not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom