• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Link being able to use either a thrust or multipoke was good, but it was too difficult to get the multipoke out under normal circumstances. Either way, whenever I watch people play Link online, nobody ever does more than a single slash (tapA), so it probably wouldn't make the biggest difference in the world which ending the tap-tap has.

Having the boomerang as a low-lag low damage versatile projectile is a nice idea, I just have bad thoughts from Smash64. Hyrule Castle, my Yoshi against a friend's Link, and he spams boomerangs tirelessly. If they give Link more control over his boomerang then that would be perfect. What I mean is to keep everything but aiming the same, and let him aim it five directions - Y. Link's high angles, horizontal, and Link's low angled trajectories from Melee. That would make the weapon versatile and hopefully balanced. I prefer arrows anyway. >.>

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I really hate how sensitive YL's boomerang is, it's always difficult to play YL as a Link mainer. Also, YL doesn't have the knockback moves that Link does. YL is a close combat fighter while Link is a distance fighter. The Link moveset isn't made for close combat (regardless to popular belief with the sword and all) so YL is harder to use in general. What should be happening with Link is you shoot crazy projectiles at your enemies and if they manage to get close enough you should out-reach them with your sword and knock them away to go back to sniping them.

Well that's how I play anyway, and it works beautifully for me.

Meta77

Smash Apprentice
i did not quote any of what i said. Its all true but if you want a quote and some pics id be more then happy. I mean come on every real metroid fan knows of baby samus.
the massive and deadly Metroid Queen. Samus fights a fierce final battle before finally defeating the slithering monster, and as it crumbles to dust the final volcanic eruption sputters out. As she returns to her gunship she happens upon a Metroid egg. The egg hatches and before her eyes a tiny little Metroid hatchling floats out of the broken shell and begins to chirp at her. The Metroid has now imprinted onto Samus as its mother, and the bounty hunter, in a brief period of humanity in this genocidal mission to eradicate a species, spares its life. The two continue exiting the tunnels, and the Metroid hatchling helps Samus escape the caverns. Samus and the young Metroid board the gunship and this ends the game
and then
After defeating the creatures, Samus battles her way through Tourian, encountering newly bred Metroids. After passing through several corridors filled with crumbling enemies, she encounters a Metroid of incredible size. Before she can escape, the giant creature drains most of her life force. However, it seems to recognize Samus just in time; it appears that this huge Metroid is the larva taken from SR388. According to the Nintendo Power Player's Guide, the huge Metroid is aptly named "Super Metroid". As in the beginning of the game, "The Metroid followed [Samus] like [she] was its mother."

Samus fighting the first form of Mother Brain.After the Metroid departs, Samus recovers her energy and confronts Mother Brain. After Samus shatters the creature's stasis tank and inflicts enough damage, Mother Brain attaches itself to a giant mechanical body and the battle begins again. During the battle, Mother Brain uses a massive burst of energy from its eye, nearly destroying Samus. Samus finds herself unable to move while Mother Brain charges up to finish her off. Before the final blow can be inflicted, however, the Super Metroid suddenly attacks Mother Brain, draining its energy until it appears dead. The Metroid then attaches itself to Samus and begins feeding its energy to her. However, Mother Brain soon recovers and begins firing upon the hatchling, weakening it until it lifts off of Samus. A final shot destroys the hatchling, leaving its remains to fall upon Samus.
so sad

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Yea, I think I'll just pick up the Metroid Prime games sometime this week.

*Question*
I was watching the MP3 video with the Ridley battle and I actually watched it through to the end this time. When Samus finally defeats Ridley in a crazyass way, [almost as crazy as
Link impaling Ganondorf in the forehead
(Wind Waker spoiler) but nothing beats Link, so it could only come in at 2nd place] she's saved at the near bottom of the hole by someone who looks like the Silver Surfer. I don't think it was one of the hunters, is it someone from one of the other Prime games?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Like that guy who looks like Noxus that takes out all those pirate frigates. Apparently the same person who made the Hunters is designing these new guys.

And yeah, they haven't been in any other Metroid games.

Meta: No one's doubting you, there was just a little mix-up due to a typo. "Baby Samus" is real.

EDIT - Holy crap Samus is confirmed! Now the next character update'll be "new".

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Eh, which one: the one at the end of the Ridley fight, or the one that blows up all those frigates? Or are they the same (been a while since I've seen those movies)?

Also: any source on this "Rundus" guy?

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
So, we've got Samus and some pleasant photos. Now all the veterans from the trailers are done with completely... We have Zamus, Wario, Meta Knight and Stealthy Beefcake left.

Four characters, with two updates each - one for the character, one for two of the special moves. Eight character-related updates, with only 17 updates left before min-E3 (with Yoshi, DK and the rest of the "original" dozen showing up plus perhaps some gameplay and a few newcomers. That probably means there will be no new characters until July 11th, since there will have to be updates for some items, stages and whatnot.

Also, we have two Final Smahes from the trailer yet to be named and described - Kirby's Kettle of Kruelty (my own name) and Link's ****-fit.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Probably, but at least one new character would be nice. They could show us the shiny new C. Falcon or Luigi. It's not like those characters'll be big surprises, and Sakurai must know that deep down, all we really want is roster info.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Im just wondering if were it shows Vetran fighters and newcomers if they are planing on filling each block with 8. It would just look nicer. If the were only going to do six it seems like they would go with 3 colums and 2 rows. Maybe we get to see how 2 more vetrans look, and 3 more newbies, just a theory.

Rundus looks like Ice man yay Iceman!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
So, we've got Samus and some pleasant photos. Now all the veterans from the trailers are done with completely... We have Zamus, Wario, Meta Knight and Stealthy Beefcake left.

Four characters, with two updates each - one for the character, one for two of the special moves. Eight character-related updates, with only 17 updates left before min-E3 (with Yoshi, DK and the rest of the "original" dozen showing up plus perhaps some gameplay and a few newcomers. That probably means there will be no new characters until July 11th, since there will have to be updates for some items, stages and whatnot.

Also, we have two Final Smahes from the trailer yet to be named and described - Kirby's Kettle of Kruelty (my own name) and Link's ****-fit.
Haha, I've called it link's ****-fit too. Too funny...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
You know, I'm going to bet any money that Rundus or Dark Samus will make it into Brawl. They're just two characters that are too cool not to make it in. Samus is like the demon nega-form of Samus. She's like a character from "The Thing", but if Samus wasn't killed by the Thing and the Thing was made of dark energy. And Rundus is like the enigmatic psuedo-goodguy. He could easily be put in to promote MP3C and would probably be a decent character.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Really? She looks basically identical to her Melee design...where's the Prime love, Sakurai?

X-x-Dyce-x-X" said:
You know, I'm going to bet any money that Rundus or Dark Samus will make it into Brawl. They're just two characters that are too cool not to make it in. Samus is like the demon nega-form of Samus. She's like a character from "The Thing", but if Samus wasn't killed by the Thing and the Thing was made of dark energy. And Rundus is like the enigmatic psuedo-goodguy. He could easily be put in to promote MP3C and would probably be a decent character.
As you could probably tell by doing a quick check over this board, DS is expected (clone or not) to be in the game.

But personally, the fact that you and I are just finding this guy's name out is telling enough. He doesn't stand much of a chance, just as the Hunters don't either.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Eh...I like SSBB Samus' design better than her Corruption design. ...I like all of the character's SSBB designs more than their designs from their games. :/ I'll just have to main them all, I guess.

GenG

Smash Lord
Corruption design looks like a walking traffic light with all of these bulbs. Brawl design is Zero Mission's which is actually a japanese redesign of the tall and stylized Prime one to the classic Metroid style and proportions.

Brawl's one is undoubtly the best design for classic Samus. People will lose to Samus because they'll get distracted watching their reflections in her armor!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
OHHHH MAN!!! WAIT WAIT WAIT A MINUTE HERE!

This is GREAT for the Shiek argument!

So they're not using the Corruption Samus, and they're using the Zero Mission Samus right?
So doesn't that mean that they could use the Ocarina Zelda instead of Twilight Princess Zelda?

Samus and Zamus are sporting their costumes (and hairstyle) from ZM. Zelda and Shiek could TOTALLY be in Brawl sporting their OoT costumes. They probably kept ZM Samus so they wouldn't conflict the Prime Samus with the ZM Zamus. They may do the same thing for Zelda as to not conflict the TP Zelda and OoT Shiek! Therefore... Shiek is not out of the game yet!

HAHAHAHA TO ALL THE NEGATIVE NANCYS!!!
I LAFF AT U!

Amy

Smash Cadet

So they're not using the Corruption Samus, and they're using the Zero Mission Samus right?
So doesn't that mean that they could use the Ocarina Zelda instead of Twilight Princess Zelda?

Samus and Zamus are sporting their costumes (and hairstyle) from ZM. Zelda and Shiek could TOTALLY be in Brawl sporting their OoT costumes. They probably kept ZM Samus so they wouldn't conflict the Prime Samus with the ZM Zamus. They may do the same thing for Zelda as to not conflict the TP Zelda and OoT Shiek! Therefore... Shiek is not out of the game yet!

I LAFF AT U!
hahaha I quote on that.

Stryks

Smash Hero

I LAFF AT U!
Idk if ur serious or just plain weird :p
ANYWAY last I in MP2 if u had 95% (I think 95%) u c zamus at the end of the game, she has THE SAME look and outfit, also the lights in samus armor are used in mp1/mp2...

if u weren't serious then just ignore this :p

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
If he is serious, then there is a problem with it. While they may not have used the most recent design for Samus, Link is using his TP look. Rather than follow the example of a different franchise, chances are characters like Zelda will follow the example of characters in the same franchise as themselves. This means that Zelda will almost certainly get her TP, which I personally think is a good thing as I like her TP design. Also, while Samus is always the same character, Link and Zelda are different people in almost every game.

That said, using Zelda's TP design really has no reflection on Shieks chances anyway. It wouldn't be hard to update Sheik to a more TP style if they felt s/he/it/potatoe needed to return.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I can just imagine Zelda and Link, after the defeat of Ganondorf:
"Oh my."
"Hm?"
"How embarrassing. I just remembered I secretly went to ninja school and acquired super-human strength with which I could easily have destroyed Ganondorf with my bare hands."
"..."
"But it was fun, wasn't it?"

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
I can just imagine Zelda and Link, after the defeat of Ganondorf:
"Oh my."
"Hm?"
"How embarrassing. I just remembered I secretly went to ninja school and acquired super-human strength with which I could easily have destroyed Ganondorf with my bare hands."
"..."
"But it was fun, wasn't it?"
rofl! :crazy:

yea, sheik is gone.

i dunno what the rest of u chums are on about, it looks like prime samus to me.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
^^^
Really? She looks basically identical to her Melee design...where's the Prime love, Sakurai?

As you could probably tell by doing a quick check over this board, DS is expected (clone or not) to be in the game.

But personally, the fact that you and I are just finding this guy's name out is telling enough. He doesn't stand much of a chance, just as the Hunters don't either.
@ the last part: do you mean that guy Rundus? If so, I have no idea who that is.

Anyway, I thought she look the same until some incredibly awesome person did............this:

She grew up so fast.

~Dac
SSB64 Samus looks like a bloob, Melee Samus looks so unimpressive [now, compared to the new look] and Brawl Samus is just stunning.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok for the guy that said samus is using the zero mission varia suit:

Brawl

Check the details, mostly the lights...

Metroid prime 1

U can see clearly that she has the same lights in her shoulder pads, and on the chest and legs...

Now look the design compared to the one in MP

Theyre the same, remember MP1 came out BEFORE zero mission, even though its a remake of the 1st one, since MP1 they have used the same look in the varia suit in every game, thats why they look similair, check mp2, mp3, mph they all got the same look :p...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
@Stryks:
Well I was serious... but I really didn't check my sources that thoroughly.
However, I watched a Youtube video showing the secret ending in MP:H and that specific Zamus didn't look that much like the Zamus from ZM and Brawl. Her hair is shorter, missing those "hair extensions" (?) from the side of her head, and her suit is very bland and practically only one color. I don't know what this means, but I'm still betting that Shiek will make it into Brawl.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Chalk that up to Retro not spending a huge amount of time on a model that not everyone who played the game would see. It's still ZSS though, and that's what counts.

And since it's such a fad now...

You guys can't really think that this:

,,,Looks better than this:

And the lights might be sort of the same, but it's not just that that makes the difference. Her chestplate is all pointy and she's just generally smaller in Brawl. (And those leg lights are definitely absent in her Brawl model, Stryks.)

I know I'm being finicky, but one of the best moments in Prime was watching Samus rise from her Gunship and jump onto the Pirate Frigate, then admiring her Power Suit as the camera slowly panned up and around her. At that moment, you knew, after waiting nearly a decade, that Samus was back.

So you can understand why I'm just a bit irked that they've decided to be all Japanesey and not use the best Samus ever. It also raises alot of questions about whether or not other Prime content will be in Brawl. I'd rather fight in the Sanctuary Fortress than in another random Norfair or Crateria.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
So you can understand why I'm just a bit irked that they've decided to be all Japanesey and not use the best Samus ever. It also raises alot of questions about whether or not other Prime content will be in Brawl. I'd rather fight in the Sanctuary Fortress than in another random Norfair or Crateria.
omfg sanctuary fortress was the most ****ed up environment i've ever been in. so god**** bizzarre with those little floating ball things, with their shields made up of little squares (if you've played the game you'll know what im talking about, if not you probably think im high). but i spose that an environment that wierd could be cool. i reckon some better stages could possibly be the impace crater or somewhere in dark aether and you have to stay in close proximity to those light beacon thingos or your damage constantly goes up.

.....uhhh....anyway....how about those confirmed characters? samus is hot.....

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
OH!!!

And look! Look! Look at her shoulder bubble things! They don't have those nipples in her Brawl look, and she has them on her Prime suits, and not on her ZM suit! And the thigh plates don't have lights (though it's hard to tell whether ZM Samus has them or not with the photo because of how she's sitting, but the Prime Samus' clearly don't have those lights). The shoulder bubbles also don't have that bar over the accordian part of Samus' shoulder (near her upper arm) like in ZM but she does have that bar in Prime. And look at the helmet, one line going across her head. In Prime she doesn't have a single line for the first game and then 3 for the second.

Personally, I'm loving this!
Zero Mission Samus over Prime Samus = Possibility of other characters going "retro" = Possibility of OoT Zelda with Shiek!!!

EDIT:
@dynamic_entry

Yea, I'm with you there. I've never wanted to lick a video game character until today...

Wow...

I'm fvcked up...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
I'm fvcked up...
Flashback to the Evangelion movies scarring me for life...darn you Dyce.

dynamic entry said:
...those little floating ball things, with their shields made up of little squares...
They're called Rezbits, man. GET UR ENMEZ RIGT!11!1!!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, I like the cartoony, smaller look better; just fits in better with SSBB. I'm sure they'll reference the Metroid Prime series somehow in this game, though.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
In 64 and Melee, definitely. But Brawl has a relatively realistic art-style. I'm not saying Samus' Brawl design isn't realistic, just that I find it strange that they'd decide on the less realistic of the two for a game with TP Link and Solid Snake.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well...I don't think they're going for a "realistic" sort of approach as much as a design that represents the staple vision of the character with as much detail as possible. Zero Mission is the newest game in the original style (and was 2D like SSBB is) and Zero Suit Samus is in so maybe they just decided to go with this look because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom