• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
I liked the whole "get to aim the arrow " thing goin' on,kinda like PK thunder, and thinking back to the trailer 1, it sorta showed it like that when Pit shot at MetaKnight. Hopefully they wont update for the next week "special moves" used by all returning characters...

Stryks

Smash Hero
I will Main Pit, unless Wolf, dark samus, ridley, megaman, snake, mach rider, a hunter, or Midna sux terribly, Im still gonna use mario anyway...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Maining has nothing to do with your best character. Maining is using a character regardless of how bad you are with them, and just liking to play as them because they are either fun or cool. Kind of like an "unconditional love" thing. I have that relationship with Ganondorf and Link. They're not my BEST, but I main them.

I will Main Pit, unless Wolf, dark samus, ridley, megaman, snake, mach rider, a hunter, or Midna sux terribly, Im still gonna use mario anyway...
You sound pretty confident that all of them are going to be in. Is there something you know that you're not telling us Stryks?

P.S.: I hope your list makes it in. I have doubts that Midna will make it in, but she would be great if she was on Wolf Link. And we might not get a hunter, but I would love to see any one of them. Especially the red guy, and the one with the space ship. I think that was the purple/blue one? I think that was the one who was enigmatic? I don't know, I forget, it's been a while since I've played MP:H.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Maining has nothing to do with your best character. Maining is using a character regardless of how bad you are with them, and just liking to play as them because they are either fun or cool. Kind of like an "unconditional love" thing. I have that relationship with Ganondorf and Link. They're not my BEST, but I main them.
Amen, brother! Whether or not the new young Link will be any good or not, I'll be one of the first to declare him top tier material!
And it'll be even greater if he turns out to be so. *grins*

Hmm, I predict that Pit won't have many killer moves and will kinda play like a Mario with disjoined hitboxes, a spiffy projectile and multiple jumps.
Sounds weird, but that's what I judge his various types of speed and attack strength like.
Guess he'll be pretty lightweight. Or rather, feather-weight. :p

Sensai

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
Quoted for truth. Everyone needs to take note of this.

K_to_the_Z

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm somewhat new (been here for like 2 years and never posted), and I can see this is a confirmed character discussion, and I don't exactly feel like looking through all 279 pages just to see who's been confirmed, so can someone give me the low-down?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Amen, brother! Whether or not the new young Link will be any good or not, I'll be one of the first to declare him top tier material!
And it'll be even greater if he turns out to be so. *grins*

Hmm, I predict that Pit won't have many killer moves and will kinda play like a Mario with disjoined hitboxes, a spiffy projectile and multiple jumps.
Sounds weird, but that's what I judge his various types of speed and attack strength like.
Guess he'll be pretty lightweight. Or rather, feather-weight. :p
I'm actually predicting Pit to somewhat take the place of Young Link. I know they won't play alike, but they have similar attributes. Light weight (most likely), bow, blade, above avg speed, etc. I'd rather play as Link than Young Link, but I can't WAIT to try out Pit. I love Kid Icarus so much. The music is by far the best soundtrack of any NES game (second to Megaman 2, but we won't count that because that's Capcom ;) ).

Quoted for truth. Everyone needs to take note of this.
:p :grin: :chuckle: Thank you Sensai, for that ego booster. I feel like I pretty much hit the nail on the head with that comment. I feel cool.

Hello, I'm somewhat new (been here for like 2 years and never posted), and I can see this is a confirmed character discussion, and I don't exactly feel like looking through all 279 pages just to see who's been confirmed, so can someone give me the low-down?
Ummm... just... y'know... whatever. We've talked about as much as we can talk about with all the confirmed characters so, we're ranting about whatever comes up.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I do not think Pit's arrows are controlled a la Din's Fire - they are too fast and the curve seems very stable... I think that, if you imagine a straight line, you can bend it like a banana of sorts. Like, the more you pull up, the more exponential the trajectory will be, but once the arrow reaches the apex of the curve it bends down with the same factor, giving a largely symmetrical trajectory.

Vice versa when you pull down. I just can't see the arrow being guided mid-flight, but rather set right before the release from the bow.

It isn't neccesairly symmetrical, but I'll bet you the curve is bent from a straight line and goes mindlessly from there - it isn't controlled more than that.

KokoBananaMan

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys, I'm pretty new to these boards. So this is my first post :p lol

Anyways, does anyone think Solid Snake is going to be a slowish character? In the trailers, when you see Solid Snake double jump once or twice, he seems to fall very slowly. I know he's kind of a stealth-type of person that moves at a moderate speed, but I'd have wanted his fall speed and air-time to be similar to Captain Falcon or something.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hey, guys, I'm pretty new to these boards. So this is my first post :p lol

Anyways, does anyone think Solid Snake is going to be a slowish character? In the trailers, when you see Solid Snake double jump once or twice, he seems to fall very slowly. I know he's kind of a stealth-type of person that moves at a moderate speed, but I'd have wanted his fall speed and air-time to be similar to Captain Falcon or something.
Captain Falcon? You've gotta be kidding me.

From what I gather, Snake seems a lot like Link in terms of speed and strength. He probably has a faster run ( not much of an accomplishment ), but if I assume correctly that the rocket-launcher in the second trailer is his down-smash, his attacks are rather slow.
He'll probably be middle-to-high tier, like a weaker and slightly faster Ganondorf with some bomb tricks.

KokoBananaMan

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon? You've gotta be kidding me.

From what I gather, Snake seems a lot like Link in terms of speed and strength. He probably has a faster run ( not much of an accomplishment ), but if I assume correctly that the rocket-launcher in the second trailer is his down-smash, his attacks are rather slow.
He'll probably be middle-to-high tier, like a weaker and slightly faster Ganondorf with some bomb tricks.
Well, yeah, comparison to Captain Falcon might've been wrong lol But I'm not talking about like his run or attack speed, what I'm talking about is his jumping. If you watch the Nintendo World Movie Trailer, whenever he is on that stage where the platforms break and turn into clouds, he double jumps and he seems to float like Luigi in Melee. I would've imagined him to have a little more gravity than that.

And again, I am perfectly fine with however his run and attack speed will be, it's just his floating when he jumps that annoys me...

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well...all the powerhouses from Melee were of average falling speed. Bowser, DK, and Gannondorf were all fairly floaty and all very heavy. I could imagine that Snake would be similar to them. Also, I think the rocket launcher attack from NWT was a Dtilt. My reason: all the above powerhouse characters had Dsmashes which hit on both sides and Dtilts that hit one direction and were slow. That RPG attack Snake does has about the start-up lag of Link's Dtilt and hits on one side of him. Making it a Dsmash like Mewtwo's would be strange, especially because you can't "charge" a rocket like you can fiery magical energy.

Pit's arrows look to me like rapid-moving Din's fire. It'll probably be constant velocity and damage, with a pre-determined range. As long as you hold B and the attack hasn't timed out, you could hit up/down to manipulate the arrow, but once you let go, it continues straight at its most recent trajectory until the time expires for the attack. I've given this attack much thought, and I have trouble visualizing it working any other way. If somebody has a suggestion, please state it. My way is a bit awkward, but what else would it be? I didn't like the PKTJ idea (given the speed of the arrow in NWT), and from what we've seen in the picies, I can safely say you don't determine initial trajectory, but change it while the arrow is in motion.

I like to hear people declaring who they are maining before the game comes out. It shows an un-biased attraction to the character, something we can't always truthfully say of Marth/Fox/Falco/Shiek players in Melee, even if it were true. Just don't go around saying you'll main Pit because he looks cool, only to later learn that Megaman has been confirmed. That would hurt the pride.:grin:

Not gonna lie, those arrows do look pretty sexy. I'm sure they'll piss me off when, the first tournament I go to, there's someone camping Pit shooting arrows at me. I don't think Pit will replace Jiggs; the only reason Pit was replaced originally is because Sakurai worried people wouldn't know who he was, added to the recent success of Poke'mon. Now, people everywhere know who Jiggles is, and Poke'mon is still a big Nintendo moneymaker, so I doubt Jiggs will be leaving.

Pit's upB will probably let you float any which way you want for "X" amount of frames, then just drop you. Pressing down rapidly will probably cancel the upB a la Peach's parasol (It'd be crazy if you could lightly push down to float downwards, rather than just up/left/right). I doubt the float will do any damage, but I also doubt it will resist knockback like Yoshi's midair jump. If using Pit's third jump recovery allows you to float back to the level for two seconds every time you get hit (comparable to Peach's float), than Nintendo doesn't need to do ANY adding to balance out the move.

Anyway, I'm headed out to see "Fracture" in twenty, won't be back on until Tuesday sometime. Hope I covered everything I wanted to, looking foward to what everyone has to say, as well as that update tomorrow morning.

Later<

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well...all the powerhouses from Melee were of average falling speed. Bowser, DK, and Gannondorf were all fairly floaty and all very heavy. I could imagine that Snake would be similar to them. Also, I think the rocket launcher attack from NWT was a Dtilt. My reason: all the above powerhouse characters had Dsmashes which hit on both sides and Dtilts that hit one direction and were slow. That RPG attack Snake does has about the start-up lag of Link's Dtilt and hits on one side of him. Making it a Dsmash like Mewtwo's would be strange, especially because you can't "charge" a rocket like you can fiery magical energy.
Actually... DK is something of a fast-faller.
And the only other possibility I would accept is "aimable special move". But a down-tilt... no. It's slower than Mewtwo's down-smash. And charging a rocket launcher seems pretty logical to me. Sure, no normal rocket launcher can *do* that, but what the heck.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Actually... DK is something of a fast-faller.
And the only other possibility I would accept is "aimable special move". But a down-tilt... no. It's slower than Mewtwo's down-smash. And charging a rocket launcher seems pretty logical to me. Sure, no normal rocket launcher can *do* that, but what the heck.
Perhaps "Charging" could just be extra time setting up the rockets to home in.

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps "Charging" could just be extra time setting up the rockets to home in.
Well, in Unreal Tournament 2004, you could charge your rocket launcher which added more rockets in to the shot. Maybe it could be something like that.

K_to_the_Z

Smash Cadet
^^^ Exactly, 'Unreal' Tournement, lol. Snake wouldn't have any unreal weapons like that, they'd at least be semi-real even though they don't want real guns in the game. I'm sure the rocket move is gonna stay the way it is from the video, no aiming, no nuthin.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
pit may be in to rival jiggs, but theres no replacing the resting puffball. ever. jiggs for life! (im maining jiggy in brawl. and ganondorf (might also throw in snake around here). and possibly meta knight. oh, and geno, definitely.)

about pits arrows...im hoping you can aim initial trajectory as well as curving them after launch. like shoot one toward the ground (not directly at it) and curve it upward, so it sweeps low and knocks an opponent upward, useful for shield stabbing and such. also being able to use them in air aimed in a straight diagonal line downward would be sweet. i hope theres a glitch where you can cancel the arrow animation by landing, so we have SHA (short hop arrowing)...haha just kidding, but that would be funny.

anyway, i wonder what the damage and knockback will be like of the arrows...im hoping for dins fire knockback, but im assuming its going to be like links arrows. what do you guys think?

if pits arrows are everything im hoping (which they absolutely wont be, unless sakurai reads this very post and takes the idea straight to the game), then im maining him too.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well his SH is very low and his fast-falling speed is good, but his unaltered fall speed isn't so fast. Yoshi's the same way, average fall-speed but one of the fastest fastfalls in the game. It's also partly the way people play DK that makes him look like a fastfaller.

Yes it's slower than Mewtwo's Dsmash, but so is Link's Dtilt, Gannon's Utilt, G&W Ftilt, and possibly Peach's Dtilt. I'm not entirely sure about that last one, but it's close. Point is that speed doesn't dictate what type of attack it should be, it's attack attributes. Adding rockets would be possible I suppose, the way his lag looks makes me doubt that additional rockets added would hit the opponent, unless you would be using it like Yoshi's downB stars (protection during lag). That'd also be a very cheap edgeguard, it'd hit at the edge and linger much longer than Zelda's Fsmash.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I bet I know how the arrows (dont know if it was already mentioned)

Pit will summon the arrow, this wil ltake not much lag, and after u fire, u can control the trajectory of the arrow, UNTIL the arrow banishes from the screen, hits a floor/wall, or hits the oponents, only then will u be bale to shoot another arrow...

it makes sense, u cant fire rapidly more arrows cause u have the ability to bend the trajectory, wheter if u want to or not, thus firing many arrows would be hard for the player...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Wow. This discussion is really, really boring.

But that won't stop me from posting about it.

Contrary to the majority's belief, I don't think the Palutena Arrow will work like Din's Fire, but more like Link's boomerang. By that, I mean there will be 3 pre-set paths the arrow will follow (give or take a few paths), and you'll pick a path with the control stick just before Pit releases. I just can't see Pit standing there, watching his own arrow fly away...

To counter the speed of the arrows, and the rate at which you could fire them with my suggested operation, they'd have the damage of Link's Melee arrows, but without the increased knockback at higher damage %'s (more like Falco's Blaster). Link's arrows did crap damage in Melee (hence the term "Melee arrows", since they'd better do more in brawl), and were only useful when the enemy got to a % that they could knock them over at. But if you make those arrows aimable, like his Boomerang (which in contrast, had the power, but not the range), it'll even out.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Ok, here's what I see happening:

You can hold the arrow for as long as you want, but will go the same speed regardless. If you hold up, the arrow will arc up in trajectory. If you hold down, it will arc down in trajectory. If you choose to chance its flightpath at any given time during its flight, just move the stick again and it will move accordingly. (Like Zelda's Din's Fire and Link's Hero's Bow combined) Pit will remain stationary during the whole animation. (Like Ness' PK Thunder)

That's how I'm picturing it. I wonder who's got the right answer?
I wish they'd show us a clip of something soon. I WANT SOME RECENT GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom