• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ COMPLETE! ] Smashboards Creates: All-Star Strife (An indie-based platform fighter!)

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 10:Madeline (Celeste)

(i know that a lot of people will think it's a cheat,because Madeline is trans)
Madeline is the main character from Celeste, she is 21-year-old red-haired canadian woman and her goal is climb the Month Celeste.
Celeste won an award of game for impact and best indepedent game in 2018

(i wanted to ask filia from skulgirls,but the problem is peacock is in as skullgirls rep)
Madeline absolutely counts! Surprised she wasn't submitted earlier, honestly.

Also, I'm glad you bring Filia up; Multiple reps from a series are technically allowed, but I'm going to place a temporary cap on two fighters per franchise for now (with said cap probably being lifted for theoretical DLC).

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Pom (Them's Fightin' Herds)
1647126511245.png

Pom is a timid lamb who was unwillingly chosen as the Champion of the Meadow. She is a puppeteer type character being able to use 4 puppies, and a mama and papa dog.

Reasons I'm picking her over the other characters in the game are, well having the one character who actively hates and doesn't want to fight be the one character to join the crossover fighter would be pretty funny, but also we don't have a puppet/summoning character type yet which Pom provides with her sheep dogs. Additionally, the other characters would make more sense as AT than Pom does (with someone like Arizona or Velvet they can fight independently. Pom being summoned would just summon her Sheep Dogs and probably try hiding which wouldn't make an interesting AT). Finally, I just think she's a fun character and personally would like to see her in a platform fighter.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Shelly Harrison (Bombshell/Ion Fury)

First Appearing in the game "Bombshell" but is known for the much better game "Ion Fury" Shelly Harrison is a throwback to all the most popular boomer shooter protagonists like Duke Nukem.

She is foul mouthed and incredibly skilled.

Job 11

Idiot Party (Cruelty Squad)

This stage would be incredibly vertical and the platforms would be a single bridge in the middle that stretches between walls and also some platforms that float in and out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Elysium
Game: Disco Elysium
From the hit detective game. The stage would be rendered in the oil painting style of the game, making it stand out from other stages. Would take place over old houses like the one seen above. The cast from the game cameo. Text boxes like the morality boxes from the game will appear to comment on the fight.

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions for female fighters, stages, and AT replacements will close tomorrow as planned, but in the meantime, I have an idea for the thread I'd like to pitch.

I'm considering having submissions for one job go on at the same time as the voting for another to help speed the thread along. If I go through with this, it won't always be the case; Larger/more important jobs will probably have their submissions and voting come and go without any other jobs going on, and you will get advance warning.

D

Deleted member

Submissions for female fighters, stages, and AT replacements will close tomorrow as planned, but in the meantime, I have an idea for the thread I'd like to pitch.

I'm considering having submissions for one job go on at the same time as the voting for another to help speed the thread along. If I go through with this, it won't always be the case; Larger/more important jobs will probably have their submissions and voting come and go without any other jobs going on, and you will get advance warning.
I like this. Sometimes it can be more of a hindrance. But this thread has a high enough turn up for it to work imo. But yeah Id probably let the big jobs (characters and stages mostly) stand on their own

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions are now closed! Here is how we'll be voting for each job:

Job #10
Pick your top three from the following list (self-voting is only allowed for third place). The top two fighters will make it onto the roster!
  • Annalynn (Annalynn) (FazDude)
  • Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) (KneeOfJustice99)
  • Lady Love Dies (Paradise Killer) (Darkonedagger)
  • Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) (Tankman from Newgrounds)
  • Miriam (Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night) (Megadoomer)
  • Yumiko (Brawlhalla) (Torgo the Bear)
  • Madeline (Celeste) (DragonRobotKing26)
  • Beebz (Demon Turf) (Wario Wario Wario)
  • Pom (Them's Fightin' Herds) (CheeseAnton)
  • Shelly Harrison (Bombshell/Ion Fury) (cashregister999)
Job #11
Pick your top two from the following list (self-voting is only allowed for second place). The top two stages will make it in!
  • The Stanley Parable Adventure Line (The Stanley Parable) (FazDude)
  • Diogenes' Mountain (Getting over It) (KneeOfJustice99)
  • Canabalt (Canabalt) (Tankman from Newgrounds / KneeOfJustice99)
  • Runbow (Runbow) (Megadoomer)
  • Idiot Party (Cruelty Squad) (cashregister9)
  • Elysium (Disco Elysium (Darkonedagger)
Job #12 will be done through Strawpoll: https://strawpoll.com/polls/2ayLWLMeWZ4

The voting period will close tomorrow afternoon, which is also when our next job will be. However, the job after that is the first time where voting for one job and submitting content for another will happen at the same time. Consider it a test-run.

Job #10: Annalynn (Annalynn)

Annalynn is the eponymous protagonist of the game of the same name. She is a miner who happens to run into the Venom Brood, a group of villainous snakes, during one of her expeditions, and now must fend off the reptiles while gathering treasure.

Annalynn fits nicely as a "literally who" rep, and I feel that she could have a fun moveset, essentially being to All-Star Strife what Pac-Man is to Smash; A fun, simple, arcade-inspired fighter!

Job #11: The Stanley Parable Adventure Line (The Stanley Parable)

The Stanley Parable is such a charming game that I wanna represent it somehow, and a stage seems like the best way to do it. This would be a travelling stage, with the eponymous Adventure Line leading fighters through the game's world, going through Stanley's office to some of the rooms from various endings.

Job #12: Companion Card (All-Star Strife)
A simple trading card-like item. Pick it up, and a random assist character will temporarily appear to provide their aid!
Job #10:

Character Name: Cadence.
Character Origin: Crypt of the NecroDancer (2015.)

View attachment 347360

The problem with a job like this is that there's two pretty obvious picks (the genie and the mountaineer, shh) that I imagine would get me ninja'd, so I'll submit someone a little weirder and hope to see a positive response.

Cadence would be a pretty interesting, though unusual, representative for the rhythm game genre. Unlike Shovel Knight however, she also has a small knife she can use. Her overall gameplay would primarily focus on her needing to keep to a rhythm in order to effectively do better at attacking opponents. She'll use her knife and shovel mostly, but may also use some of her spells too.

I'd like to suggest that she could have a unique function in the form of a sort of tempo? It'd have to be changed from the source material, meaning that maybe her smash attacks would work a little like attacks in the Paper Mario series (where you have to time your inputs.) She'd be really fun to see - and her series was popular enough to even crossover with the Legend of Zelda!

Job #11:
Stage Name: Diogenes' Mountain.
Stage Origin: Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy.

View attachment 347368

Okay so I got ninja'd with the whole Stanley Parable thing, but luckily I have another game in mind with a particularly notable narrator. On another note, meet Diogenes. He had to climb a mountain, in a cauldron, with nothing more than a sledgehammer. Now you do too.

The stage itself takes place somewhere on the mountain. I'm not exactly sure, but I'd like to suggest partway through Stage 2 (so as to include Orange Hell there somewhere.) The stage itself is placed in a perilous place, but being that you can only really fall off on one side. I'm thinking on top of the building with tons of trash on it so you can use them as tunnels to get around maybe? Also, Bennett Foddy will narrate here but as you can imagine he's now talking about the philosophy of fighting games in his incredibly calming tone.

Job #12:
Item Name: Teleporter.
Item Origin: Crossing the Pit.

View attachment 347369

Press the button, and it'll teleport someone random in to aid you! I'm aware that the Teleporter isn't supposed to work like this in the actual Henry Stickmin "canon" but let's be real, things not working like you expected them to is a pivotal part of the whole series. The Teleporter doing something completely different to it's intended function ironically makes it more of a Henry Stickmin reference.
View attachment 347364
Lady Love Dies

The main protagnist of the 2020 game Paradise Killer, developed by British studio Kaizen Game Works. Paradise Killer is a 3D open world adventure game in which players must solve mysteries. They have to collect clues and evidence in order to make stronger convictions when they bring characters to trial.

The game takes place in a pocket universe where a race of immortal alien beings, known as the Syndicate, are trying to create a perfect society in order to reawaken the ancient gods that they worship. They created an island in order to achieve this, and they kidnap humans from earth to inhabit it. But when the experiment fails they slaughter them and start agian. But one night, on the night of the slaughter, the Syndicate's council are found murdered. Sensing a conspiracy, the council calls for exiled detective Lady Love Dies, who must solve the mystery, but it won't be easy when everyone has something to hide.

Lady Love Dies is a really fun character, players learn about her checkered past and relationships with various characters as they go through the game. I admit she may be hard to make a moveset for but it's not impossible. She could have a Phoenix Wright style evidence mechanic, and her ability to act as judge and executioner could be reflected in her moveset. This game is simply oozing with style, and has a banger soundtrack to boot.

I'll submit a stage soon.
Female Fighter:
Hat Kid

Hat Kid is main eponymous character of A hat in Time series. She is a kid that travels throught Time and space to defeat baddies and she uses her unique hats to get the unique abilities like Time Freezing or etc.
She is popular pick for the game and she is also female, so it makes here eligible for the Job.

She could use moveset based on abilities from her games like Hats or she could use other platforming techniques as attacks.
She could have a lot of moveset and she is one of Most requested indie characters for Smash. Nuff said.

Unrepresented stage:
Resubmitting Canabalt for KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 .
(Original idea belongs to KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )

Assist Trophy equivalent:
Assist Orb (Allstar Strife)

It acts like Assist Trophy from Smash, but it also acts like bowling ball, meaning that you can throw at opponent.
This item can summon an Assist by summoning it like AT or throwing at opponent to unleash the power of Assist.
Job 10: Miriam (Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night)

In the wake of many classic franchises being neglected by the companies that currently own them, several developers turn to Kickstarter or other crowdfunding games to make spiritual successors to classic franchises like Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, or Castlevania.

One of the bigger success stories was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. The brainchild of Koji Igarashi of Castlevania game, Bloodstained focuses on Miriam and her quest to save her childhood friend from what is essentially demonic possession. The series started out with a Metroid style title, receiving two spin-offs, a sequel that's in the works, and a few cameos along the way.

As she's from a Metroidvania title, there's a lot to work with in terms of abilities, stages, music, etc., and she offers something tonally different from the franchises that are currently in the roster.

Job 11: Runbow (Runbow)

In Runbow, the core concept is that it's a platformer where the background cycles through several different colours, and if a platform's colour matches the background's colour, then it doesn't exist until the background colour changes again. (black platforms/surfaces are safe, since the background won't change to black) A stage based on this game would behave similarly, with black floating platforms that resemble Battlefield, and orange, green, blue, and pink platforms scattered throughout the space around that central platform. (maybe one or two of each colour)

The background cycles between one of these four colours, making it so some of these platforms can't be accessed. It's not exactly competitive-friendly, but it's a creative idea that I want to see incorporated into a platform fighter.
View attachment 347375
Yumiko (Brawlhalla)
We already have Orcane, but who says we can't add another platform fighter character? Brawlhalla is a platform fighter starring various powerful warriors (and a few crossover characters ranging from Rayman to Hellboy to Steven Universe to literally John Cena) who have all been recruited to the afterlife of Valhalla in preparation for Ragnarok, where all of Odin's strongest warriors will have to fight the Titans for the fate of the world. And in the meantime, they'll train in a crazy fighting tournament!

Yumiko is one of the many playable Legends in the game. She is a blind kitsune who lived among humans under the disguise of a seamstress. When her village was invaded by monstrous wolves, she took up a bow and fought back. Every winter, the beasts attacking her village grew stronger, until she was slaying dragons and a tengu army. When she finally had enough, she hunted down the source of these monsters--a witch from a magical forest dimension--and defeated her. After the battle, Yumiko was visited by a Valkyrie and chosen to join the ranks of the greatest warriors in Valhalla. Yumiko accepted.

Brawlhalla's primary gameplay gimmick is the use of weapons. There are currently thirteen different weapons that can be used in Brawlhalla, but every character has a unique combination of two they are allowed to use. Yumiko in particular gets to use a bow and a large hammer. Yumiko's special moves with her weapons showcase her unique ability to transform into a blue flaming spirit and fire herself in place of an arrow. She can also create similar blue flames that linger on the stage for a bit, which don't do much damage or knockback but tend to drop opponents into the perfect position for followup attacks. Also, while she never does it in-game, one of Brawlhalla's animated trailers (released a long time after Yumiko was added to the game) depicts her being able to transform completely into a white-furred kitsune, so we could possibly incorporate that into her moveset should she make the cut.

Yumiko also has immense potential for alternate costumes. Not only does she already have 10 alternate skins in Brawlhalla, but each skin including the default have 34 palette swap options! Just to give you an example of some of her best skins we could use later on:
View attachment 347378View attachment 347379View attachment 347381View attachment 347382
(The third one is my personal favorite, it's the one I use when I play her. So if Yumiko makes the cut I will do whatever it takes to get that skin included as well.)

Yumiko is by no means the "main character" of Brawlhalla, that role would go to the mascot Bodvar. And realistically, if Bodvar wasn't chosen to reperesent Brawlhalla in a crossover, the role would probably go to a more popular character like Mordex, or maybe even Ragnir (since he is featured in Rivals of Aether as a skin for Maypul). But I chose Yumiko because she's my main and I'm absolutely biased.
Job 10:Madeline (Celeste)

(i know that a lot of people will think it's a cheat,because Madeline is trans)
Madeline is the main character from Celeste, she is 21-year-old red-haired canadian woman and her goal is climb the Month Celeste.
Celeste won an award of game for impact and best indepedent game in 2018

(i wanted to ask filia from skulgirls,but the problem is peacock is in as skullgirls rep)
Beebz

Beebz is the demonic protagonist of Demon Turf, a collectathon about - not ending the turf war of the Demon World - but winning it! She can transform into a variety of ghastly creatures like flying bats or rolling snakes, and throw energy beams.
Pom (Them's Fightin' Herds)
View attachment 347418

Pom is a timid lamb who was unwillingly chosen as the Champion of the Meadow. She is a puppeteer type character being able to use 4 puppies, and a mama and papa dog.

Reasons I'm picking her over the other characters in the game are, well having the one character who actively hates and doesn't want to fight be the one character to join the crossover fighter would be pretty funny, but also we don't have a puppet/summoning character type yet which Pom provides with her sheep dogs. Additionally, the other characters would make more sense as AT than Pom does (with someone like Arizona or Velvet they can fight independently. Pom being summoned would just summon her Sheep Dogs and probably try hiding which wouldn't make an interesting AT). Finally, I just think she's a fun character and personally would like to see her in a platform fighter.
Shelly Harrison (Bombshell/Ion Fury)

First Appearing in the game "Bombshell" but is known for the much better game "Ion Fury" Shelly Harrison is a throwback to all the most popular boomer shooter protagonists like Duke Nukem.

She is foul mouthed and incredibly skilled.

Job 11

Idiot Party (Cruelty Squad)

This stage would be incredibly vertical and the platforms would be a single bridge in the middle that stretches between walls and also some platforms that float in and out.

Elysium
Game: Disco Elysium
From the hit detective game. The stage would be rendered in the oil painting style of the game, making it stand out from other stages. Would take place over old houses like the one seen above. The cast from the game cameo. Text boxes like the morality boxes from the game will appear to comment on the fight.

Baysha

Smash Ace
1. Annalynn
2. Pom
3. Beebz

Shout-outs to Cadence.

1. Idiot Party (I wanted to submit a Cruelty Squad stage but I didn't actually play the game so thanks)
2. Diogenes' Mountain

D

Deleted member

1. Miriam
2. Cadence
3. Hat Kid

1. Diogenes' Mountain
2. The Stanley Parable Adventure Line

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. Madeline. She's an obvious choice to get into here somehow, and I think that contrary to what some might say, she absolutely has enough moveset potential even with her overall lack of stuff in the source material to work with. Just the idea of a mountain climber on a conceptual level offers so much to work with. (Ice Climbers, anyone?)
2. Yumiko. Brawlhalla is an obvious game to represent here somehow, given it's a platform fighter. The overall mechanics alone are really unique on their own, making really any rep pretty fun to work with! The thing is, though, despite Bodvar arguably being "the face" of Brawlhalla, I think Yumiko has a lot more to work with given her use of the Grapple Hammer and the Bow, giving her solid mid/long-range control as opposed to being some sort of average schmuck. Afterall, you can argue Zetterburn is the "real mascot" of Rivals, but Orcane is overall more fun to work with right?
3. Miriam. Lowkey, I think she's a genius dark horse pick for a project like this. Overall, the inspiration from Castlevania alone would make her interesting to see. I only have her this low because I've not actually played the Bloodstained games yet, but from what I've seen they're very interesting - and her use of various, unique weapons would be very fun to represent here.

1. The Stanley Parable Adventure Line. I was literally going to submit Stanley's Office just before this was posted, but this is a much better and overall more fun idea. I'd love to see aspects of non-Euclidean geometry used here - maybe you could enter a door on one side of the stage and appear from the other or something like that! My only problem is how it'd work as a stage, but setting it in the white void would be very fun to see.
2. Idiot Party. I know next to nothing about the other submissions here, but I adore the 2000s-looking visual appearance of the place. Not much else to say here, I just think it's neat.

FazDude

Smash Master
Voting has closed! Please welcome Madeline and Hat Kid to the roster, courtesy of DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds respectively! In addition, Diogenes' Mountain and The Stanley Parable Adventure Line will be added to the stage list, submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and... me! Finally, we will be using my submission, the Companion Card, as our Assist Trophy replacement.

Now then, before our next set of jobs, I must inform you of a change of plans. I'll be away from my computer tomorrow afternoon, meaning that I will unlikely be able to moderate the thread optimally as I would like. As such, not only will this next set of jobs not usher in the new job/voting system I mentioned earlier, but you will be given extra time to complete them.

With that out of the way, let's talk about the jobs themselves!

Jobs 13/14: Submit alternate colors/costumes for Shovel Knight and/or Orcane!
Ala the Super Mario Smash thread, please compose a list of exactly 8 or 16 alternate colors for either or both characters. Alternate costumes are allowed, but please do be reasonable with them. Also note that any character who becomes an alt (such as Black Knight) will be rendered unable to become a seperate fighter in the future, so do be careful!

Job 15: Submit a music list for Merchant Port!
Choose six songs to appear on the stage. Just like last time, anything from the Rivals series (including fan-made remixes) is on the table, with other songs needing a close tie to the series to be eligible.

Job 16: Submit a Companion Card character!
Choose a character to make an appearance as a Companion Card assist, and describe what they'd do. Please note that any character who becomes a Companion Card will be unable to appear as a fighter (for now).

All four jobs will close Thursday afternoon. Have fun!

Last edited:
I have nothing rn for job 14 and 15.

Job 16:
Boyfriend & GF (FNF)

1647366801601.png
1647367087160.png

Boyfriend is the main protagonist of 2020 Newgrounds game Friday Night Funkin'. He is on a mission to gain approval to date his girlfriend, but must sing off against her evil ex-rockstar father, Daddy Dearest, as well as the many other characters that stand in his way.

When summoned, he appears along with his Girlfriend and he raps with arrows that cause opponents to do uncontrollable taunts, which it makes them unable to attack during the time when BF is summoned.
(You know, BF also raps for GF while being an Assist character)

I don't think we could see him as fighter, but I think he could fit as an Assist character for Allstar Strife. Also, I nominate him, because his game is popular right now and it needs to be represented in Allstar Strife as assist at least...

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Job 13/14: Alts
  1. Default
  2. Final Guard (red)
  3. Conjurer's Coat (purple)
  4. Dynamo Wear (gray)
  5. Ornate Plate (gold)
  6. Toad Gear (green)
  7. Fish Head (model swap)
  8. Black Knight (model swap)
  1. Default
  2. Light Blue (second RoA default color)
  3. Red (third RoA default color)
  4. Green (fourth RoA default color)
  5. Black (fifth RoA default color)
  6. Purple (Abyss color from RoA)
  7. Early Access (Game Boy-inspired pallete)
  8. Lovers of Aether Orcane (model swap)
Job 15: Merchant Port Music
  1. Oceanic Breeze - Rivals of Aether
  2. Oceanic Breeze - Fraymakers
  3. Fiery Ambitions - Rivals of Aether
  4. Full steam VENGANCE!! - Rivals of Aether
  5. Glacial Bastion - Rivals of Aether
  6. Decisive Encounter - Rivals of Aether
Job 16: Quincy (Bloons)

I warned you all.

Quincy, son of Quincy, is a Hero in Bloons TD 6 and Bloons TD Battles 2, being the first the player unlocks. As an accomplished marksman, nothing gets past his bow!

As a Companion Card, Quincy would shoot nearby opponents with his trusty bow, dealing damage while only being able to hit one opponent with each arrow. Near the end of his time, Quincy would use his Storm of Arrows ability, firing multiple arrows to rain down in a wide radius around him. After this, he takes his leave.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 16

Ying (Paladins)

Ying is one of the most popular characters in Paladins

Ying would go around the stage creating clones of herself, these clones heal the user and teammates, There can be up to 2 illusions out at 1 time, Ying prime has a few more abilities, she can shoot many spikes out of her mirror at an opponent. She can also shatter her Illusions, this heals any friendly player next to the illusion and also deals big damage.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like FazDude picked a great line-up of alts for Shovel Knight and Orcane, and I'll need to look into the music from Rivals of Aether, so I'll just submit an assist for now.

Job 16

Bread (I Am Bread)

A sentient slice of bread. It only has one goal - to become toast. No matter what the consequences are.

When summoned, Bread flops around the stage, heading towards a pile of explosives that has been set up nearby. If it touches someone, it will slowly drag them towards the pile of explosives, though the character can resist this by moving in another direction, or bump into someone to transfer the Bread to them.

If the Bread or a player with the Bread attached touches the explosives, they'll detonate, damaging anyone caught in the explosion and turning the bread into crispy toast. (the explosives will not detonate unless the Bread touches it) However, if the characters manage to keep the Bread away from the explosives for long enough, both the Bread and the explosives will disappear, as the Bread is no longer in an edible state after all of that flopping and hopping around.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Voting has closed! Please welcome Madeline and Hat Kid to the roster, courtesy of DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds respectively! In addition, Diogenes' Mountain and The Stanley Parable Adventure Line will be added to the stage list, submitted by KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and... me! Finally, we will be using my submission, the Companion Card, as our Assist Trophy replacement.

Now then, before our next set of jobs, I must inform you of a change of plans. I'll be away from my computer tomorrow afternoon, meaning that I will unlikely be able to moderate the thread optimally as I would like. As such, not only will this next set of jobs not usher in the new job/voting system I mentioned earlier, but you will be given extra time to complete them.

With that out of the way, let's talk about the jobs themselves!

Jobs 13/14: Submit alternate colors/costumes for Shovel Knight and/or Orcane!
Ala the Super Mario Smash thread, please compose a list of exactly 8 or 16 alternate colors for either or both characters. Alternate costumes are allowed, but please do be reasonable with them. Also note that any character who becomes an alt (such as Black Knight) will be rendered unable to become a seperate fighter in the future, so do be careful!

Job 15: Submit a music list for Merchant Port!
Choose six songs to appear on the stage. Just like last time, anything from the Rivals series (including fan-made remixes) is on the table, with other songs needing a close tie to the series to be eligible.

Job 16: Submit a Companion Card character!
Choose a character to make an appearance as a Companion Card assist, and describe what they'd do. Please note that any character who becomes a Companion Card will be unable to appear as a fighter (for now).

All four jobs will close Thursday afternoon. Have fun!
Jobs #13, #14 & #15.
I think that the ones submitted by other users would be great here, and there's not a lot I could add. I'm not really well-versed enough on Rivals to submit an accurate musical representation of the game as a whole, and the alts submitted elsewhere for both characters were far better than any I'd come up with.

Job #16.
Character Name: Tinker Knight.
Character Series: Shovel Knight.
Character Origin: Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (2014.)

1647454022090.png

I wanted to take this opportunity to give arguably one of our "poster child" series a Companion Card, so Shovel Knight it is. However, I felt some of the more perhaps "obvious" picks (notably the other three playable characters, being Plague Knight, Specter Knight and King Knight) would perhaps be better suited as playable characters. It's for this reason I wanted to suggest another member of the Order of No Quarter, but one who's recognisable, unique and well-liked. It's for this reason I chose Tinker Knight - putting aside my inherent bias for Propeller Knight in the process.

Tinker Knight would work a lot like he does in the first phase of his battle in Shovel of Hope, as well as taking hints from his playstyle in Showdown, as opposed to utilising his tank. When summoned, he'll begin to run forward, and will toss spanners forward in the process. When close to a player, he'll trip and fall into them, dealing a surprisingly high amount of damage - and sometimes will stop dead in his tracks, tossing spanners in arcs all around him in a panic. Eventually, he'll trip and fall one last time, before disappearing off once more.

I think Tinker Knight would have a ton of personality, which would set a really nice prescedent for our Companion Cards. Whilst he represents an already-represented series, it'd have to get a Companion Card eventually - and I think he'd be a great pick.

Baysha

Smash Ace
header.jpg

Cactus (Room to Grow)

Room to Grow is a cute puzzle game featuring a displaced cactus that aims to return to the desert. To achieve this, it must grow, pushing other objects and itself. I can't really describe it that well, the Steam trailer shows it a lot better. In All-Star Strife, it would grow in random cardinal directions and hurt anyone who touches it.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Matt (Epic Battle Fantasy)
1647425769815.png

Matt is the protagonist of the Epic Battle Fantasy series, what started off as a self-insert character in 2008's flash game
Battle Royale, Matt developed a unique personality and is playable in every game in the EBF series (including the Spin-offs Bullet Heaven and Adventure Story).

Matt being summoned would be able to swing his sword, Heaven's Gate, in an unprofessional manner still doing a lot of damage. Matt occasionally uses Spells
Tremor (Matt will swing his sword up as an advance notice, this attack sends rock above the ground dealing ~10% and low knockback) and Temper (Increases strength of either Matt, the Summoner, or one of the Summoners' team members if in a team match). For his final move (as in, this is the last thing he does before leaving), Matt will try to do his Limit Break Cleaver, which if landed on an opponent traps them in a multi-attack flurry dealing lots of damage (basically, imagine if instead of Marth's powerful final Smash being a one-hit, it was a five-hit attack that did slightly less attack and knockback)

FazDude

Smash Master
Submissions for Jobs 13-16 are closed!

My picks for Shovel Knight alts, Orcane alts, and Merchant Port music all win by default.

As for our first Companion Card characters, please pick your top four from the following list (self-voting is only allowed for 3rd-4th place). The top four will make it in!
  • Boyfriend and Girlfriend (Friday Night Funkin') (Tankman from Newgrounds)
  • Quincy (Bloons) (FazDude)
  • Ying (Paladins) (cashregister9)
  • Bread (I am Bread) (Megadoomer)
  • Kick (Divekick) (Darkonedagger)
  • Tinker Knight (Shovel Knight) (KneeOfJustice99)
  • Cactus (Room to Grow) (Baysha)
  • Matt (Epic Battle Fantasy) (CheeseAnton)

Voting closes tomorrow afternoon, which will also mark the launch of our next moveset jobs!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
1. Kick. Let me preface this by saying I've been waiting for someone to unironically submit him as a fighter. It'd be hilarious. That aside, Divekick - being the ultimate step in the simplification of fighting games (and probably the true final outcome of Brawl's development cycle) is such a weird and fun game that it makes sense to represent it somehow. Whilst it's got a lot of fun and weird characters, Kick is an obvious representative of the series as a whole, and I think it's such a weird but fun one-note character to include that it may as well be here.

2. Quincy. I admittedly don't know much about Bloons, but I know it's big. To the point that what was once a series of somewhat obscure Flash games has becme somewhat of a whole IP of its own. I think Quincy would be a better rep than "Dart Monkey" despite the latter ironically being the face of the franchise on the basis of the fact that he's an actual character. Overall, just a fun inclusion that's awesome to see here!

3. Boyfriend & Girlfriend. Whilst Friday Night Funkin' is undoubtedly a juggernaut at this point in the indie scene, I feel like seeing someone like Boyfriend as a fighter could be very cool. The problem is, if we're talking about "A Newgrounds Rep," in terms of characters, there's so many other choices that feel more iconic - like Alien Hominid, Pico or even Fancy Pants. Whilst FNF would be cool to see in a character, I'd say there's better picks to represent both Newgrounds and rhythm games overall, which makes them a fun Companion Card.

4. Tinker Knight. I feel like having too many of our Companion Cards being of other, new "series" might make it difficult to represent the originals. For instance, imagine if Smash didn't have Assist Trophies of characters like Lyn, Samurai Goroh or Jeff? Whilst it's a little uninspired perhaps to start the trend with a Shovel Knight character, Tinker Knight's first phase has a lot of comedic value and personality, as well as leaving characters like Plague Knight open for potential future playable roles. Overall, it feels like a positive compromise.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Kick (Love the idea so much, if self-voting for 1st place was allowed I would still vote Kick as first)
2. Quincy (I don't have anything to add, I just like this Companion Card)
3. Matt (Self-Vote, loved the series in elementary [Heck, I think Matt might have subconsciously influenced my decision to have long hair, that's how much I played the games] and it's still solid to this day. I almost considered waiting until fighter submissions but I feel there are better Flash-centered characters to add, and I'm also not confident enough in my writing to convince people to vote him, but yeah I think it's a legendary series [for what it is, may not be Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but for some free flash games from the 2010's it was great at what it did] and would be happy if it got even a bread crumb of content in the game... Speaking of which)
4. Bread (YouTube Rage Game icon. Like Quincy I don't have much to say, I just like the Companion Card and think it'd be funny seeing it on the Getting Over It stage for the popular Rage Game crossover)

Top Bottom