• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

Alopex

Smash Ace
No, but shield-stun would make that approach less fool-proof.

Dash-shield into an attack and you're now in shield-stun at the mercy of the opponent. You can't shieldgrab during shield-stun, so you're no longer capable of rushing into an attack using the dash shield and then immediately grabbing the attacker.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
No, but shield-stun would make that approach less fool-proof.

Dash-shield into an attack and you're now in shield-stun at the mercy of the opponent. You can't shieldgrab during shield-stun, so you're no longer capable of rushing into an attack using the dash shield and then immediately grabbing the attacker.
Exactly. The shield is so quick right now that you can shield almost any attack and be out of stun long before their lag is over. If there is just enough shield stun added to where a jab could chain from a more meaty poke, you could shield pressure your way out of an opponents dashing shield grab attempt. We might not put enough stun on in the end, just sayin...

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
If we're going to go to such ridiculous lengths to get something even remotely "technical" out of this in terms of competitive gameplay, why don't we just get a team together with some common ideas on what a good balance of gameplay elements would be and just incorporate it into a freeware game engine, or even raise up a few thousand to purchase an engine and make a completely original game? With how many people involved, how much time is being put into it, and how much talent there is on these boards, why bother with something that probably won't amount to anything more than just fun for friendlies when with the same effort spent we could get something much more rewarding?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wasn't the decay system also in melee?
Knockback is calculated after damage. In melee, the decay system only affected the damage of the move so since the move dealt less damage, it was "decayed." In brawl, not only does the damage decay, but the natural knockback of the move also stales. We want to get rid of this so the only decay is damage. This will eliminate stupid utilt and uair spams.

zxeon

Smash Lord
If we're going to go to such ridiculous lengths to get something even remotely "technical" out of this in terms of competitive gameplay, why don't we just get a team together with some common ideas on what a good balance of gameplay elements would be and just incorporate it into a freeware game engine, or even raise up a few thousand to purchase an engine and make a completely original game? With how many people involved, how much time is being put into it, and how much talent there is on these boards, why bother with something that probably won't amount to anything more than just fun for friendlies when with the same effort spent we could get something much more rewarding?
An intersesting Idea and one that comes with a whole new set of challenges. Maybe we just want to punch Sakurai right in the teeth.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Besides the obvious problems with that... there's another one. If we wanted to make it a smash bros game... that's not legal. This is.

zxeon

Smash Lord
He gave us one of the greatest fighters of all time: Melee. The decision to stray away from it was our own as a community, no fault of his.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Besides I only need one reason to punch him in the teeth even if it's not his fault.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Let's not get into ethics or morals. All it would take is a slight change in character design to make it perfectly legal. Besides, what you're aiming for in this is an agreement on physics, more stylized towards Melee's, nothing to do with the characters. There's no legal jurisdiction over physics. If we were able to reproduced the physics engine exactly and design original characters there'd be no problem.

EDIT:

I didn't want any sort of argument or debate, just throwing an idea out there.

Starscream

Smash Ace
I thought Smash Bros was cool because of the fighting mechanics AND beating the crap out of each other with your favorite Nintendo characters. *shrug*

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I definitely want to have dash dancing, but I don't believe that moonwalking would be useful because your jumping distance is entirely independent of how fast and what direction you're moving unlike in Melee, where it was interlinked because of momentum.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hawt. DD may not do as much for game mechanics as nerfed ledges or shield stun, but it is just so sexy.

kupo15

Smash Hero
A message from Phantom Wings

I thought it would be a great idea to share this PM I received for you guys. I am quite relieved because I thought for sure we were doomed with Phantom but I didn't want to tell you guys that :p:

Cool to see that there are some people out there who are into the hacked brawls. :)And there are even some tournaments too.

Right now with the Christmas rush going on I've been pretty busy(the mere fact that I havn't been on too much lately proves that) so I may not be able to do anything until after things quiet down again - I'll see about giving these a try this week, but there's no guarantees.

I can, however, tell you of what I think about the possibility of these codes.

1. No lag when grabbing ledges:
Should be easily achievable with a couple of handlers to remove the timers until you can act.

2. No auto sweetspot ledges :
Should also be pretty easy providing there's a consistent value used for rising while in an Up-B(which I think there is)

3. Sliding up b's:
May be a bit difficult - in the worst case scenario, I'll have to use an action replacement.

4. No buffering:
May be possible. I've seen the buffer system for control and it all depends on weather there's anything read from the previous spaces in the buffer...

I'll see about getting onto these sometime - at worst, you won't see anything until after Christmas.

kr3wman

Smash Master
It's when you input a command when you're still in an on-going animation so that the move/attack you inputed come out the earliest frame possible.

A basics of fighting games.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Please tell me who because no one needs buffering. Its like l canceling. If you can combo without lag you can combo with lag. Buffering makes this game very inaccurate.
I have to agree with the stubborn moogle on this one. Everyone is better off without buffering.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Ganon needs buffering for his sideB, he has no followups after without buffering.

Magus420

Smash Master
To be fair, the same could be said the other way. You can take the responsibility to learn how to control the buffer system (such as after moving backwards in the air before landing you tilt forward or something else to override it during landing lag so you don't turn around), as well as use the system to your advantage.

Some things with 0 frames of error aren't realistically usable without buffering. Speaking from the one character I'm familiar with in the game as an example, I know Luigi's jab cancel game relies heavily on it, and d-smash/d-tilt and up-B out of a jab generally need to be done frame perfectly or they don't work and even then comes down to their fall speed. Jab->Jab Cancel->Jab also essentially becomes impossible on the characters that the others don't work on, since you can't realistically press down to crouch frame perfectly, and then on the very next frame already have the stick in a neutral position and be pressing A to jab again in time.

With buffering, you tap down early to buffer the crouch so you can have the stick back at neutral when the crouch happens and you can then time the jab directly out of it which allows it to work on them.

What truly can't be done with the buffer system that you can only do without it, and has no way of working together with the buffer system to be doable? I should mention that the buffering system was the first thing I really hated in the game, all the way back in the beginning of February. It does give you some more options though; options that otherwise wouldn't be usable, and from what I understand you can work around its flaws so long as you learn to give it the proper inputs to control it.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
At least make the buffer window smaller, but don't get rid of it altogether. Every fighting game has a FEW frames of buffering. Even the most demanding ones.

Magus420

Smash Master
I agree. Reducing the buffer window enough so that it tightens up the graphics controls a little bit, but also still allows you to do some things that otherwise would be humanly impossible to input reliably should be much better than the current system or removing it completely.

Some things buffer for a LONG time, an obvious example being when you airdodge into the ground and press something during the dodge. Maybe it would be possible to cap the buffer inputs to just within the last X couple frames or something? That way you could adjust it whatever or set it to 0 to remove it if you wanted.

It'd fix that feeling of "Hey bro, I believe you pressed left back in July of 1947... so I'll just go ahead and do that for you now :bee:."

timothyung

Smash Ace
This is for the Japanese version of Brawl
Code:
P1 Infinite wall kick in one side [Cross1955]
48000000 80622E84
DE000000 80008180
58010000 000007B0
DE000000 80008180
4A100000 0000039C
DE000000 80008180
3200000C 00000000
1400000C 00000001
E0000000 80008000

P2 Infinite wall kick in one side [Cross1955]
48000000 806230C8
DE000000 80008180
58010000 000007B0
DE000000 80008180
4A100000 0000039C
DE000000 80008180
3200000C 00000000
1400000C 00000001
E0000000 80008000

P3 Infinite wall kick in one side [Cross1955]
48000000 8062330C
DE000000 80008180
58010000 000007B0
DE000000 80008180
4A100000 0000039C
DE000000 80008180
3200000C 00000000
1400000C 00000001
E0000000 80008000

P4 Infinite wall kick in one side [Cross1955]
48000000 80623550
DE000000 80008180
58010000 000007B0
DE000000 80008180
4A100000 0000039C
DE000000 80008180
3200000C 00000000
1400000C 00000001
E0000000 80008000
I just tested it and what it does is removing timer for wall jumping the same wall (scar jumping) and I don't find any side-effects. The jumps still gets lower and lower after a while.
But Mario is able to wall jump all the way up a full height custom stage wall with only a short hop and wall jumps with this code on... Someone gotta convert it into US version.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
I agree. Reducing the buffer window enough so that it tightens up the graphics controls a little bit, but also still allows you to do some things that otherwise would be humanly impossible to input reliably should be much better than the current system or removing it completely.
The most annoying thing about buffering to me is accidentally turning around while trying to fade away air projectiles. The timing just takes getting used to, but there is no doubt that the buffer length is ridiculously long for such actions. We could definitely stand to tighten it up, I agree with you guys 100% on this.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I guess I agree also with tightening it up. But didn't melee not have this sort of bufffering or was it just tightened up?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I'm so confused lol. I feel like an idiot--- I don't understand what buffering / buffer system is.

Anyone want to enlighten me?

Top Bottom