• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Bees!

Smash Ace
I'm just saying, if you were aiming to stay involved in Brawl/smash and keep the scene alive, moving to Pueblo was a terrible decision. Especially since there's a convergys in Denver. :/
Actually there are no Convergys sites in Denver. checked before I applied and after I got hired. There is a DirecTV call center in Denver but that is different. Also the reason I was able to get hired is because of my friend being a trainer there. And I have no problem driving up to Denver to play smash with people(every weekend even) and how dare you judge my life decisions. The decisions I make to better my life and gain independence are for me and me alone. You don't have a ****ing word in my life, so don't even try posting such a smug remark.

Denver won't be having much cuz all of Denver's players worth anything either have gone to college (mainly in FtC), or moved on to better games.
Wow very revealing about how you and this scene determines worth. Based off of a video game. You know I really don't care if someone isn't in to Brawl competitively(its all personal preference) thats why its also funny that you say better games. That is very subjective as the amount of people that play Brawl at this point and go to tourneys(maybe not in Colorado) are easily twice that of BlazBlue and Melee combined. Even with that it doesn't make Brawl a better game, but rather supports the "subjective part of what I am saying.
CSS has its "competitive spirit" still, but they've moved on to games that are actually competitive (for the most part).
lol again. Any game can be competitive. Brawl has a huge community and professional sponsoring and such for tourneys/players. To say those games are actually competitive and Brawl isn't is just arrogant. We have seen that Brawl has a competitive scene that is rather big. Regardless of what the initial thought behind the game was when it was created. It has a HUGE competitive following.

And I back what mikezor said 100%. Another huge reason why CO Brawl "sucks" is because it lost what made it good in Melee: A huge crop of super-talented players (lovo, jeris, ferdi, mikezor, yangzzz) who, in turn, made the rest of the scene not complete garbage.
First of all. The melee scene did very little to help the Brawl scene. They had nothing to do with the Brawl scene being bad. If they were so good why couldn't they step in and help us on what we are lacking or at least try? The melee scene at one time was amazing yes. But honestly you can't even compare that to the Brawl scene(apples and oranges) or have the arrogance to say they legitimized our scene. They legitimized themselves, they made themselves not garbage. If they truly legitimized their scene they would have tried to help those who were "garbage" not be that way. And you know what? maybe it wouldn't have helped. maybe we still would have been garbage. But even so they would have tried. Melee scene has been irrelevant to the success/failure of the Brawl scene for the last 2 years now.

Also, we played like... daily. And our game had competitive merits.

lulz...
Melee has merits? lololol. Last time I checked it had the same point to it when it was designed as Brawl(a party game) and accidental oversights in the games physics led to you being able to memorize tons of ATs so you can punish opponents, space and zone. But to say it had competitive merits? Brawl is a big game competitively, sure its more defensive less combo related and more campy. But its what you are into. I like that change of pace compared to making one mistake and putting your controller down and saying ggs. I prefer slow and steady over flashy and super technical. Thats not to say I don't enjoy melee or BlazBlue(because I love those games) I just like Brawl the best. But to say that melee has more of a competitive scene than Brawl? Most of the big players from melee play Brawl as well. Sure some of them quit but many still remain.
Again though typical arrogance on your part. You have this pretentious way of thinking only the "strong" players matter. However what you fail to realize is that strong players can be leaders, bring in more people to our scene, teach them what they know.

All I asked for was who was still serious about Brawl. I didn't ask for people who don't even play the game and don't care to argue with me over the competitive merit of a game. I asked who is still in the Brawl scene that cares. I am done with this thread now. I don't have hard feelings for those who don't take the game seriously anymore. I am sad that they don't but hopefully they get just as much fun out of whichever game they moved onto. If people want to reach me ever I will be on AiB and the ROB boards. And don't go showing up to either trying to flame or start and argument (mikezor/Tony) because I will simply ignore you anyways. So to you both I say go fornicate yourselves with a branding iron.

See you around to everyone else. and thank you Moblin for at least showing some interest in not just attacking me for asking who cares about brawl anymore(I didn't ask who doesn't care or who never cared yet those are the only ones who wanted to start ****.)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Once again I've been away and only read the last page.
I'm just saying, if you were aiming to stay involved in Brawl/smash and keep the scene alive, 1

CSS has its "competitive spirit" still, but they've moved on to games that are actually competitive 2(for the most part).

Also, we played like... daily. And our game had competitive merits.
1 We're still alive?
2 Brawl's competitive but very unbalanced. I see what you're saying though. I tried competitive brawl and didn't like it; friendlies and wifi are still fun.
Leave him alone. It's not like it's his fault that he likes Brawl more than competitive games. And this site was kinda made for Brawl/melee anyway, so nobody can really tell him to leave. And Meno, DTL (kinda) and UL are smashers that still like Brawl, and probably always will. And that's cool.
It sounds like I missed a spirited debate. Brawl's fun and other games too, no one should be told to leave.
like Admiral pit levels of serious.
What's the deal with Admiral pit and that crowd? They spam and counter spam their argument on lots of forums.

------------------
Also, if you're old enough be sure to vote in November.

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
First of all. The melee scene did very little to help the Brawl scene. They had nothing to do with the Brawl scene being bad. If they were so good why couldn't they step in and help us on what we are lacking or at least try? The melee scene at one time was amazing yes. But honestly you can't even compare that to the Brawl scene(apples and oranges) or have the arrogance to say they legitimized our scene. They legitimized themselves, they made themselves not garbage. If they truly legitimized their scene they would have tried to help those who were "garbage" not be that way. And you know what? maybe it wouldn't have helped. maybe we still would have been garbage. But even so they would have tried. Melee scene has been irrelevant to the success/failure of the Brawl scene for the last 2 years now.
To say that the melee scene has been irrelevant to the success/failure of the brawl scene is just complete bull**** considering that we were the ones who got the brawl scene rolling. We welcomed people to the scene and tried to make it grow. The problem is that we were trying to help the community but the game is just something that wasn't of our interest. Also competitive gaming just isn't for some people, it can be very intimidating at first. This isn't anyones fault to blame. It also requires lots and lots of time being invested. So you can kinda see how this creates a small problem for us, seeing how we don't really like the game much and then we would have to invest lots of time in it. It seems kinda selfish at first but think about it realistically. We all have real life obligations and then on top of that we would have to invest more time in a game we don't really enjoy playing. We have definitely tried to help other people and not ourselves, i'm sure if you go way back in search deep enough in the thread, there will be just tons of information and walls of text(probably posted by tony) on general stuff like mindgames habits character specific stuff. So i'm not really sure where you got that idea from. Sorry if I come off a bit strong but to make these statements after what the melee scene has done just for Colorado smash in general, is a slap in the face to all them as well as myself.

FishBait73

Smash Rookie
These last 3 pages have been a bunch of tl;dr posts, so, I'm just gonna say something real quick.

I still love Brawl, and will love it for a long time. If there are any smashfests that I can attend, I will. Even if Colorado is "dying", some smashers aren't. As long as those smashers haven't given up on the game, it's still around. Therefore, the scene is not dead.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'm still kinda mad that we didn't just do a money tourney at fishfest...I MEAN YOU POSTED PRICES AND STUFF.

But whatevs. And I'll always still play Brawl because I find it fun. The saddest thing to me has always been that the melee scene didn't move on to Brawl. I completely understand why the didn't, but if those players did move to Brawl we would have had a great scene. Just look at Ferdi wrecking **** that one time he entered brawl for lulz.

But yeah, I'll still play. I think we're probably done with the powerranking though.

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah we really don't need a PR...

and I'm glad it wasn't a money tourney because I didn't lose 5 dollars because I know I wouldn't have won.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am excited about MLG DC results so far.
richbrown knocking M2K into losers is lol

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Uhh, I wasn't commenting on your life decisions. I was actually pretty proud that you got a job, moved out, and got your own place. However, you chose to pursue real life over vidya (like so many other CO 'smashers" have). I never said it was a bad decision for your life. Just bad if you wanted Smash to be a big part of your life.

Name one Denver player that's talented at Brawl that still lives in Denver.

Oh, what's that? You can't? Oh, good. Then stop taking what I say out of context so that you can remain butthurt, ****face.

And objectively, Brawl is not a "good" competitive game. Things that make a game "competitive" are:

Balance - Let's not joke around about Brawl. METAKNIGHT!!!
Punishment - Yes, there are some good punishing tactics in Brawl. However, you can abuse stupid tactics all day long and do fairly well, even on the competitive level.
Risk/Reward - You take a big risk in Brawl with most characters, you get 12%, maybe more, maybe less. You play safe the entire match, camping and zoning, and you get so much more.

There are a few other things that I believe make a game "competitive", but these are some key issues.

Numbers don't mean a game is solid, especially from a competitive standpoint. Especially in a fanservice game (yes, smash is, and that's part of why it's fun).

Brawl is a casual game forced competitive. That is my view. You can't change my mind, much like I won't likely change yours. Especially since this is likely the first game you've ever really been competitive in, and the first one you've done really well in.

When the Melee scene played Brawl, they absolutely ***** in it. The reason why Brawl scene is "bad" is because they had to start from scratch. That's all I'm saying. I wasn't calling you guys garbage, either. I was saying that because of EXTRAORDINARILY talented players, people like myself and Kenny ended up becoming decent. As opposed to Victor, who remained "garbage"

Melee has combos, solid punishment, risk/reward, and a lot of other things that Brawl is missing.

And I know that Bees isn't mature enough to just walk away, and that's why I'm posting. Go **** yourself, you no name player. That's all you'll ever be(es). I didn't swear at you or anything, and you get all hostile?

But then again, what do I expect from a weeaboo manchild?

ggs.

Once again I've been away and only read the last page.

1 We're still alive?
2 Brawl's competitive but very unbalanced. I see what you're saying though. I tried competitive brawl and didn't like it; friendlies and wifi are still fun.

It sounds like I missed a spirited debate. Brawl's fun and other games too, no one should be told to leave.

What's the deal with Admiral pit and that crowd? They spam and counter spam their argument on lots of forums.

------------------
Also, if you're old enough be sure to vote in November.
Point 2 is a good response. I don't see it as competitive due to its flaws, but if you like it, power to ya. I'll cheer for anyone that sticks with it, but telling the scene they're "bad", and then saying "HAY GUIZE, DRIVE 4 1/2 HOURS TO PLAY WITH ME" is ridiculous.

I'll still play Brawl when people come over, also. It's fun in moderation. Just not something I could see myself getting into again, due to all the flaws with the gameplay.

And yeah, if you aren't doing tourneys for money, then of course the competitive spirit of a game is gonna die. Happened with Melee in CO, too.

DeliciousDave

Smash Cadet
me and jorge still care! jorge actually went to the tournament today and he got first and got 125 dollars
he told me that 31 people entered but they were mostly halo people who entered just for fun

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Everything tl;dr but uh, I get the gist is "are smash scene is dieing"
Its not dieing, we still hold smashfest ect ect. I'll try and make it too any that our held.

Steam

Smash Hero
oh yeah maybe I should go to one of those and throw those fliers at everyone there. and get money in the process

edit: crap there were only 2 of them lmao

Dnyce

Smash Master
Uhh, I wasn't commenting on your life decisions. I was actually pretty proud that you got a job, moved out, and got your own place. However, you chose to pursue real life over vidya (like so many other CO 'smashers" have). I never said it was a bad decision for your life. Just bad if you wanted Smash to be a big part of your life.

Name one Denver player that's talented at Brawl that still lives in Denver.

Oh, what's that? You can't? Oh, good. Then stop taking what I say out of context so that you can remain butthurt, ****face.

And objectively, Brawl is not a "good" competitive game. Things that make a game "competitive" are:

Balance - Let's not joke around about Brawl. METAKNIGHT!!!
Punishment - Yes, there are some good punishing tactics in Brawl. However, you can abuse stupid tactics all day long and do fairly well, even on the competitive level.
Risk/Reward - You take a big risk in Brawl with most characters, you get 12%, maybe more, maybe less. You play safe the entire match, camping and zoning, and you get so much more.

There are a few other things that I believe make a game "competitive", but these are some key issues.

Numbers don't mean a game is solid, especially from a competitive standpoint. Especially in a fanservice game (yes, smash is, and that's part of why it's fun).

Brawl is a casual game forced competitive. That is my view. You can't change my mind, much like I won't likely change yours. Especially since this is likely the first game you've ever really been competitive in, and the first one you've done really well in.

When the Melee scene played Brawl, they absolutely ***** in it. The reason why Brawl scene is "bad" is because they had to start from scratch. That's all I'm saying. I wasn't calling you guys garbage, either. I was saying that because of EXTRAORDINARILY talented players, people like myself and Kenny ended up becoming decent. As opposed to Victor, who remained "garbage"

Melee has combos, solid punishment, risk/reward, and a lot of other things that Brawl is missing.

And I know that Bees isn't mature enough to just walk away, and that's why I'm posting. Go **** yourself, you no name player. That's all you'll ever be(es). I didn't swear at you or anything, and you get all hostile?

But then again, what do I expect from a weeaboo manchild?

ggs.

Point 2 is a good response. I don't see it as competitive due to its flaws, but if you like it, power to ya. I'll cheer for anyone that sticks with it, but telling the scene they're "bad", and then saying "HAY GUIZE, DRIVE 4 1/2 HOURS TO PLAY WITH ME" is ridiculous.

I'll still play Brawl when people come over, also. It's fun in moderation. Just not something I could see myself getting into again, due to all the flaws with the gameplay.

And yeah, if you aren't doing tourneys for money, then of course the competitive spirit of a game is gonna die. Happened with Melee in CO, too.
Bias post is really bias, lol. Oh well.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
The tourny was actually run really well thanks to Dan. Wish I could say the same about the ppl running the halo tourny... There was free pizza at the beginning and free vitamin water. They actually went into the brawl room when doing raffles to check for winners. Halo pot was like 3x brawl pot which was kinda lame, but for the lvl of competition it was worth it. The guy who got second didn't have a wii. My little bro you guys saw at fishfest would have gotten second it was sad. Soooo much rolling :(. Best part Greg wasn't at that location. Seriously guys you should end the boycott we got what we want. Or you can just let me win free money :p.

As for the brawl scene tbh i think its stronger than its ever been. Ppl have been complaining about it dying pretty much since brawl came out. I think we have more talent and active players now than ever. We just have never been and probably never will be on the national lvl.

O and don't be fooled by the 31 entrant turnout. Most of the ppl came for halo and entered brawl for fun. I don't think a single person knew what a glide toss was... *Takes money and runs*

Steam

Smash Hero
oh trust me. after these events the venue fees will be stupid high.

I half wanted to go to direct anyone who cared here. and to get free money.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I did try to tell anyone who would listen about smashboards but they either already knew about it or didn't care. I don't think anyone there actually wanted to play brawl competitively.

Arcana~

I Am Thou
NNID
Orange-Shinobi
Bees I missed your text from yesterday because my sister borrowed my phone for the night. My bad.

BTW good **** Jorge

Steam

Smash Hero
really... the low risk/reward in brawl makes the better person win more often. because instead of it taking like 7 mistakes to lose like it does in melee. it takes like 30 mistakes to lose.

though yeah there is MK, after him the top tiers are actually very balanced though...

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
really... the low risk/reward in brawl makes the better person win more often. because instead of it taking like 7 mistakes to lose like it does in melee. it takes like 30 mistakes to lose.

though yeah there is MK, after him the top tiers are actually very balanced though...
The top tiers are very balanced even with him.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Wow, so much anger in here.

I don't agree that a game needs to be balanced to be competitive, only that a select group of characters need the balance. Look at melee, or mvc2.

And since I did forget to answer it earlier, I'm still considering doing brawl competitive, but for now I'm focused on bb.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
The reason why I like melee so much more than brawl. I can be ballsy in melee and it'll pay off with either 50% or a whole stock. Course it could go the other way.

I see brawl in the way that something happens, reward or punishment, back to neutral. Repeat 30 times. Someone gets KOd. Repeat that process 3 more times

Steam

Smash Hero
The top tiers are very balanced even with him.
:/

not really lmao. MK counters all of them.

like... assuming there was no MK, everyone would get countered by something.

Snake loses to D3, olimar

Marth loses to D3, gets countered by other random characters like wolf

Falco loses to Marth and Pikachu

D3 loses to Falco and Pikachu

Diddy goes even with just about everyone, loses to wario

Wario loses to Marth

Pikachu loses to olimar, diddy, lucario and Marth

Olimar loses to Marth, falco, Lolpeach

Lucario loses to D3, Snake, Marth

and it just goes on and on.

MK gets countered by... Fox and Falco on FD. baaarely

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't agree that a game needs to be balanced to be competitive, only that a select group of characters need the balance. Look at melee, or mvc2.
I agree with this.

Brawl is competitive right now even with MK, but it would be sooo much more balanced without him.

... Of course, that will never happen so suck it up and learn the MK ditto. :mad:

and fox doesn't counter MK. it's 55:45 MK
because of updownbacksmash

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yea wifi blows.
Zelda becomes like...10 times tougher on it though. :V

This is why I want to go to tourneys and what not. =w=
Wifi's a different metagame. Zelda's not hard but Ike gives me a lot of trouble.

Who was the Ike I wified from here? Good Ike.
Brawl is competitive right now even with MK, but it would be sooo much more balanced without him.

... Of course, that will never happen so suck it up and learn the MK ditto. :mad:

and fox doesn't counter MK. it's 55:45 MK
because of updownbacksmash
MK's da bess.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I remember meno saying something about how he wanted a peach trading card on aib. I got one if your still interested. And If anyone else wants something if I have it I'll give it away.

Steam

Smash Hero
but he doesn't counter him on FD. :c
and if you ask most fox mains what fox's best stage is they'll say battlefield.
but do you ask him what their best stage is vs. MK?

Like Lucario's best stage is Japes but that doesn't mean he should take MK there. he's like asking MK to time him out.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I'll throw my stance on everything right here.

I still like Brawl. I still play Brawl.

The only real reason I don't go to many tourneys/smashfests is the cost is too high for a student with no job (still.......... god **** it), it's very inconvenient for one with no car, and I have many things in my life going on that are far more important than a video game.

The reason I made it to so many before now is I had a LOT more interest in the game and bettering myself. Enough to make me seek out ways to get to these things, throw away some money, or even skip something important I was supposed to be doing (not smart).

Now my interest has diminished a lot compared to then. I still have fun with it. I wouldn't mind getting better. The issue is I don't care enough to get around all the obstacles in the way. Playing with the same two people over and over isn't fun either (Splet and Moblin), and they're the only ones that I can get to conveniently.

I'm also really lost about where I am in the state of competitive fightan games.

-Brawl is inconvenient and has lost quite a bit of interest.
-Melee has my interest, but a reliable scene no longer exists and has the same convenience problems as Brawl.
-Blazblue has my interest, but my drive to practice and get better is kind of shot at the moment. That'll clear up later though I'm sure.
-Guilty Gear has a tad bit of interest, but got replaced by Blazblue.
-Street Fighter 4 had my interest shortly, until I realized it was boring as ****.
-King of Fighters has my interest, but no scene exists at all, online is crap, it's impossible to find combo listings because anybody outside of Japan and Latin America doesn't care about KOF, AND 13 still isn't out god **** it.

In a perfect world, we'd play all these games and more, and they'd always be convenient for us to get to, but eh. That's unrealistic.

Top Bottom