• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Umm...I've kept down what i've eaten today (a small salad, some toast, and some scrambled eggs) and i'm gonna go get some dinner here in a little, but i'm doing okay :p. How's FF going?
It's ok for now.

BTW, salad is possibly the worse thing you can eat at this point if you're throwing up. Salads and other veggies take a lot of enzymes to digest. Toast is good though :3

Good to hear you're doing better :)

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Well, I saw the loser's and grand finals, and it was cool. Just no one from CO. :(

Also I'm going to be in town all of next week because of my Interm break. Hope to smash sometime then!

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
My most embarrassing moment in smash history:

So after a hiatus since about mid-December, I go to this tourney today and my first fight is with a crazy good Fox main from out of state and the match is on livestream. This is the first GOOD Fox I've ever fought ever. I have no Fox experience except for a couple really scrubby Fox players that I came across randomly. Now, I'm from Colorado, and most people know that pretty much everybody out-of-state is better than us.

Anyway first match I go Diddy on FD. I do... ok I guess. Could have done better. He beat me horribly but I didn't do anything super ********.

Second match I decide to go Snake on BF since my Diddy can't win apparently. Again, I get owned. I went to a mindset of "oh god wtf do I do" and just basically... threw out random stuff. I caved under serious pressure there. He was doing very predictable things, but my mindset wouldn't let me do anything about it.

Now here's the most embarrassing part.

At some point, I shield drop two grenades and just start shielding. That's it. I didn't move and just kept shielding. I froze up or something. The grenades blow up and break my shield... Then while button mashing I accidentally pause the game while the Fox charges up-smash. That just makes me look even more ********. AND to top it off, it was all on livestream.

I have never looked like such a horrible player, and it HAD to be on livestream. To top it off, it's the ONLY match I got to play on livestream, so nobody got to see how good I really am. :mad:

FML

If anybody I know on these boards was watching, I'm gonna be pissed. Especially Dekar.
Reposting from Snake boards, for the people who missed my biggest failure of all time today.

Steam

Smash Hero
sorry dave, Zeton was too good and he used too much fox. I would have won if he didn't outplay me.

GG's to all the people I brawled and if i didn't brawl you, Ima brawl you next time.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dylan could easily get out of any situation simply by making his offender extremely uncomfortable around him.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Good points of FF:

Didn't have to run anything
Got to see Z actually get pissed
Everything is falling into place, now I just need a good conspirator's laugh
LoVo and Jeris showed up and made the Melee tournament not me 2-0ing everyone
Wasn't entered in Brawl, so didn't have to deal with a failtourney
Got my Wii cords back (omfg, I might even play WiFi sometime)

Bad points:

Dave didn't show up in time for us to take teams
LoVo and Jeris showed up, preventing me from winning much-needed money
Realized I have to start working if I wanna beat them anytime soon in tourney (also a plus!)
Got ****** money-wise, was kinda counting on at least $25 to pay a bill
Despite getting mad, pretty sure Z busted his *** only to not see a cent
OoSers/Meno/others had to deal with failtourney, felt like I was letting them down by not stepping in and fixing things

===

Anywho, I've been talking about it for a while, but FF pretty much made up my mind.

Colorado needs to get back to its roots, tourney/fest wise. Waaaay back in the day, C3 wasn't really used for anything other than a change of pace. This was back when venue was $5-10, and the fee actually went towards paying for a venue.

Right now, we (and by that, I mean you guys) are paying $15-20, JUST TO GET IN TO THE VENUE. Most of the time, this is a free venue. The price wouldn't be that big a deal, if people weren't essentially being charged $12 for 2 slices of pizza (more if you were sneaky), $1.5-3 for a TO (with no guarantee that the TO won't just run off and play friendlies in some other game, leaving the brackets to magically run themselves for 2 hours), and however much extra for some chick to lounge around up front and be useless.

Nothing against Greg. He wants to run a business, that's cool. Buuuut, some things need to be fixed:

1) Venue fee needs to be lowered. Pre-reg prices should apply for anyone that registered online. For $15, you should not only get a good venue, but some seriously good eats. Free bottled water is cool, buuuut there's a water fountain nearby always, sooooo...

2) TOs need to actually do their jobs. This makes 2/2 tournaments where I haven't been involved/was barely involved where things went terribly. Teams took till the evening to reach finals. They should have been done by 3. If you're gonna run a tournament, either actually do your job, or get people on staff to help out. Dan being your slave doesn't count, ftr. Did the grading system only exist briefly as a scare tactic, or is it actually going to be employed?

3) C3 needs to start supplying their own systems/set-ups if they wanna keep charging enormous venues. Oooor we could bring back the "you brought a system" discount system, which should not penalize whoever is signed on as a TO at the time.

4) Better advertising is needed. Seriously, if it weren't for us here on SWF/AiB, c3's smash section would be completely dead. Hell, without Smash, c3 might be dead by now.

5) Useless staff members are useless! By this, I mean that people like Amanda, Cowboy #12 (though polite), and the 30 other "staff" I see present have no. purpose. at. all.

Seriously, Amanda's been useless since day one. If she's not getting paid, I take it back, but if she is, you're just wasting money that can go to a better cause (like saving up for Smash set-ups, or feeding people, or something). Even if she isn't getting paid, she still has like... no purpose outside of quota-filling.

6) Volunteers are good, and I think a shift towards the "community" aspect, rather than focusing on "business", would ultimately be in the best interest for c3. I don't own C3, so all I can do is act as a means of communication between the parties, but seriously, Cutthroat is lookin' to face some tough times if it keeps pushing for profit. Gamers don't like spending money on stupid crap. Raffles are cool, food is nice, but srsly, oldskool c3 was cooler cuz we'd pay like... $5-10, have plenty of money left to get our own food, aaaaand we'd get to just enjoy the tournament/social aspects of competitive gaming. Course, this means that C3 makes practically no money, buuuut a small green will ultimately be better than a ballbusting red.

7) Security @ these things is still a joke. Seriously, I saw plenty of people that got in without paying any sort of venue fee, but didn't really tattle cuz I wasn't being paid this time. The staff room was pretty easy access. I'd seriously suggest DFG/someone invest in some sort of security system (simple security/webcam would be easy enough), cuz it's still madd easy for people to just walk in, jack something, and walk off.

8) There's more, but I think I've given enough for now.

===

Until C3 manages to get back on the ball, I've decided to start looking into cheaper means of hosting GOOD tournaments. Our scene has been crippled by far-spaced tournaments that not everyone can attend because of prices, incentive, etc. I'm aiming to bring back our rankings system (Melee & Brawl), and also will be looking to do REAL seeding (no more guesswork). I want to start having monthlies, but biweeklies would be great, too.

Some things that need to be done, first:

1) Score set-ups. If people can guarantee that they'll bring a full set-up apiece (1 tv, 1 wii/ngc+whatever game you play), up until we have 6-8 set-ups, this won't be a problem. I have my set-up again, so that's one down.

2) Find a cheap, decent venue. Iiiiiiifff Tim, Kenny, Sam (maybe), and I score a house, I ~think~ this won't be as big of a deal. I'll be looking into this more once I have the funds.

3) Find ways to contact even more in-state players. Meno's last effort turned out really well, I think. Maybe a few more waves of something like that will get us consistant 40-man tournaments.

Really, 1+2 are the biggest deals.

===

Oh, aaaaaaaaaaand I think that we should start trying to dedicate @ least one station per game to coaching. I think Dylan likes sharing information, and I've noticed that a good chunk of people in CO can teach/learn pretty well. This kinda ties in with my earlier idea of having similarly skilled players play each other more. I watched Henry fight scrubbish people in Melee for the first time in what has likely been years for him, and he doesn't have the knowledge of how to get around/punish stupid or obvious playstyles. Doesn't work too well when someone just gets nailed over and over, and doesn't really know what to do to improve. If our lower-tiered players can play people closer to their own level from time to time, I think they ~might~ end up developing a tiny bit slower, but will end up being much better players, in the end.

Anyway, that's my megapost. GGs to everyone I played. Rafa+Jeris, thanks for ****** me. Fino, get tippered more.

definitelynotsomeone

Smash Rookie
Good points of FF:

Didn't have to run anything
Got to see Z actually get pissed
Everything is falling into place, now I just need a good conspirator's laugh
LoVo and Jeris showed up and made the Melee tournament not me 2-0ing everyone
Wasn't entered in Brawl, so didn't have to deal with a failtourney
Got my Wii cords back (omfg, I might even play WiFi sometime)

Bad points:

Dave didn't show up in time for us to take teams
LoVo and Jeris showed up, preventing me from winning much-needed money
Realized I have to start working if I wanna beat them anytime soon in tourney (also a plus!)
Got ****** money-wise, was kinda counting on at least $25 to pay a bill
Despite getting mad, pretty sure Z busted his *** only to not see a cent
OoSers/Meno/others had to deal with failtourney, felt like I was letting them down by not stepping in and fixing things

===

Anywho, I've been talking about it for a while, but FF pretty much made up my mind.

Colorado needs to get back to its roots, tourney/fest wise. Waaaay back in the day, C3 wasn't really used for anything other than a change of pace. This was back when venue was $5-10, and the fee actually went towards paying for a venue.

Right now, we (and by that, I mean you guys) are paying $15-20, JUST TO GET IN TO THE VENUE. Most of the time, this is a free venue. The price wouldn't be that big a deal, if people weren't essentially being charged $12 for 2 slices of pizza (more if you were sneaky), $1.5-3 for a TO (with no guarantee that the TO won't just run off and play friendlies in some other game, leaving the brackets to magically run themselves for 2 hours), and however much extra for some chick to lounge around up front and be useless.

Nothing against Greg. He wants to run a business, that's cool. Buuuut, some things need to be fixed:

1) Venue fee needs to be lowered. Pre-reg prices should apply for anyone that registered online. For $15, you should not only get a good venue, but some seriously good eats. Free bottled water is cool, buuuut there's a water fountain nearby always, sooooo...

2) TOs need to actually do their jobs. This makes 2/2 tournaments where I haven't been involved/was barely involved where things went terribly. Teams took till the evening to reach finals. They should have been done by 3. If you're gonna run a tournament, either actually do your job, or get people on staff to help out. Dan being your slave doesn't count, ftr. Did the grading system only exist briefly as a scare tactic, or is it actually going to be employed?

3) C3 needs to start supplying their own systems/set-ups if they wanna keep charging enormous venues. Oooor we could bring back the "you brought a system" discount system, which should not penalize whoever is signed on as a TO at the time.

4) Better advertising is needed. Seriously, if it weren't for us here on SWF/AiB, c3's smash section would be completely dead. Hell, without Smash, c3 might be dead by now.

5) Useless staff members are useless! By this, I mean that people like Amanda, Cowboy #12 (though polite), and the 30 other "staff" I see present have no. purpose. at. all.

Seriously, Amanda's been useless since day one. If she's not getting paid, I take it back, but if she is, you're just wasting money that can go to a better cause (like saving up for Smash set-ups, or feeding people, or something). Even if she isn't getting paid, she still has like... no purpose outside of quota-filling.

6) Volunteers are good, and I think a shift towards the "community" aspect, rather than focusing on "business", would ultimately be in the best interest for c3. I don't own C3, so all I can do is act as a means of communication between the parties, but seriously, Cutthroat is lookin' to face some tough times if it keeps pushing for profit. Gamers don't like spending money on stupid crap. Raffles are cool, food is nice, but srsly, oldskool c3 was cooler cuz we'd pay like... $5-10, have plenty of money left to get our own food, aaaaand we'd get to just enjoy the tournament/social aspects of competitive gaming. Course, this means that C3 makes practically no money, buuuut a small green will ultimately be better than a ballbusting red.

7) Security @ these things is still a joke. Seriously, I saw plenty of people that got in without paying any sort of venue fee, but didn't really tattle cuz I wasn't being paid this time. The staff room was pretty easy access. I'd seriously suggest DFG/someone invest in some sort of security system (simple security/webcam would be easy enough), cuz it's still madd easy for people to just walk in, jack something, and walk off.

8) There's more, but I think I've given enough for now.

===

Until C3 manages to get back on the ball, I've decided to start looking into cheaper means of hosting GOOD tournaments. Our scene has been crippled by far-spaced tournaments that not everyone can attend because of prices, incentive, etc. I'm aiming to bring back our rankings system (Melee & Brawl), and also will be looking to do REAL seeding (no more guesswork). I want to start having monthlies, but biweeklies would be great, too.

Some things that need to be done, first:

1) Score set-ups. If people can guarantee that they'll bring a full set-up apiece (1 tv, 1 wii/ngc+whatever game you play), up until we have 6-8 set-ups, this won't be a problem. I have my set-up again, so that's one down.

2) Find a cheap, decent venue. Iiiiiiifff Tim, Kenny, Sam (maybe), and I score a house, I ~think~ this won't be as big of a deal. I'll be looking into this more once I have the funds.

3) Find ways to contact even more in-state players. Meno's last effort turned out really well, I think. Maybe a few more waves of something like that will get us consistant 40-man tournaments.

Really, 1+2 are the biggest deals.

===

Oh, aaaaaaaaaaand I think that we should start trying to dedicate @ least one station per game to coaching. I think Dylan likes sharing information, and I've noticed that a good chunk of people in CO can teach/learn pretty well. This kinda ties in with my earlier idea of having similarly skilled players play each other more. I watched Henry fight scrubbish people in Melee for the first time in what has likely been years for him, and he doesn't have the knowledge of how to get around/punish stupid or obvious playstyles. Doesn't work too well when someone just gets nailed over and over, and doesn't really know what to do to improve. If our lower-tiered players can play people closer to their own level from time to time, I think they ~might~ end up developing a tiny bit slower, but will end up being much better players, in the end.

Anyway, that's my megapost. GGs to everyone I played. Rafa+Jeris, thanks for ****** me. Fino, get tippered more.
so u finally got my point?

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Well tony, if that's how you feel, I -KNOW- there are players in Fort Collins, and i'm sure I could go find Atrix' friend on the student council boards and see if i can get approval to start posting flyers for smash tournaments or whatever.

Once I get my own house/apartment hopefully during this summer i'd be glad to house tournaments and smashfests more often.

What happened at FF to make things so crazy though?

cHiCkEN_TeNdErS

Smash Apprentice
really long ****
hey man if you ever need any help running or organizing tourneys, Ive ran tons of tourneys back in texas and I plan on putting something huge together in the springs soon

I completely agree C3 isnt doing as good job as they should

I spent $50 (20 in gas 15 door 10 brawl singles 5 doubles) to go to yesterdays tourney and when I left I seriously felt like... why the **** did I come...

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
so u finally got my point?
Well, I knew about the $$$ scandals, did my research and everything, etc etc, buuuut even with that knowledge, the fact of the matter is that C3 events are just too **** pricey, and the quality of the services rendered (when I'm not present) doesn't quite match the price tag.

Also, when I found out who you were, that kinda helped influence my decision.

zeal,i think you finally posted something good for the community <3
I do it from time to time.

Well tony, if that's how you feel, I -KNOW- there are players in Fort Collins, and i'm sure I could go find Atrix' friend on the student council boards and see if i can get approval to start posting flyers for smash tournaments or whatever.

Once I get my own house/apartment hopefully during this summer i'd be glad to house tournaments and smashfests more often.

What happened at FF to make things so crazy though?
That'd be pretty tight. We should see if Meno can do the layout/whatever for it. I can draw and stuff, but Meno is a waaaaaaaay better graphic artist than me.

That'd also be tight. House tournaments are the ****.

Nothing really happened, aside from me just realizing that the only thing C3 really has to offer is my totally rad TO skillz.

Except they don't have me signed, and even I'm not worth paying $15 venue after pre-reg.

But seriously, I've been thinking on this for a while now. I just didn't want to **** over Greg, since I like the guy well enough. Buuuuut sometimes you have to tell people how it is and just hope for the best. =/

hey man if you ever need any help running or organizing tourneys, Ive ran tons of tourneys back in texas and I plan on putting something huge together in the springs soon

I completely agree C3 isnt doing as good job as they should

I spent $50 (20 in gas 15 door 10 brawl singles 5 doubles) to go to yesterdays tourney and when I left I seriously felt like... why the **** did I come...
I might take ya up on that. I think TOs shouldn't really enter whatever tournaments they're running, since it makes them do a mediocre job on both fronts (normally), soooo back-up is pretty important.

Biggest thing for our non-c3 tournaments is that I want them to be non-profit. Like... maaaaaaaybe we can kick some money towards TOs/back-up, but only to keep good TOs running tournaments well. Bad TOs shouldn't get $$$, since that's pretty much all they're in it for, but then there's that whole drawing-a-line dealio and blah blah.

I dunno, we'll figure it out when the time comes, but right now, I think any tournaments that feature just CO should probably not pay TOs, unless we have like... 32+ attendents. Or if it's like... one guy running 4 tourneys, cuz that stuff is stressful.

We'll figure it out, tho.

EDIT:

Oh, and ftr, ignore what I said about how I was gonna schedule tournaments. I was just steamed from bein' backstabbed and shiz (not by Greg, before people jump to conclusions). I dun wanna **** over C3. I just don't want us to be ****** over by the need for them.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I approve of these shenanigans.

Shoutouts, somehow I'm the first, yeah!

Fino- Curse you! But my first kill was awesome, even though I died, right? I love you.
Sinz- You weren't here.
Affinity- Very cool meeting you, glad you got some chipotle at least, we'll get you to the first one next time.
Steeler- Get lucky in the ivysaur teams ditto on rainbow cruise set! Also, very fun FFAs.
Zeton- Wow that's a ****ing fast fox! Good meeting you, very ****, very fun FFAs also.
Domo- We once again didn't play singles, but very nice **** in teams.
Clel- I don't know how to spell your name, so you should tell me if that's wrong. But very nice **** in teams as well, we didn't play singles =(
Steam- Nice lucario sir, hope to see you around more.
Meno- Hoo hoo hoo, get owned by everything =(
Jamaal Walker- Good games, good games.
Tony- Shiek? Really? Reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllly?
Nite- You are ugly
Z- I love you, more bb.
Level 0- nice mk, very impressive sir
Dave- Was late, didn't get owned, had a hat.
Tim- Got owned, didn't have a hat.
Those last two things- Coincidence? No.
Moblin- Nice teaming sir, hope it was worth the cables.
UL- Nice stream sir, nice stream. I yelled at people on it =D
DTL- Hello.
Zajice- That'll teach you to play mewtwo.
Definitelynotsomeone- You could've just told us all this in person.

I don't remember who else to type these to! Good games, good games.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Ya, sry bout goin' Sheik. I kinda forgot I play Doc, and was really worried about jiggz vs Link

And then I was beating Rafa with Jiggz later. =(

But it was friendliezzzz.

This is the Tony I knew. :)

Hell yeah.
ohyeahboooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiii

But watch out, I still might troll a ho

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Ya, sry bout goin' Sheik. I kinda forgot I play Doc, and was really worried about jiggz vs Link

I was just worried that you had lost everything that made you Tony. :(

definitelynotsomeone

Smash Rookie

send me a pm if on who you think i am and how the hell you found out.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
It was definitely worth it, Tim. We actually did a lot better than I thought we would. AKA: Ganon's F smash and Dair are surprisingly easier to land in teams.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I might take ya up on that. I think TOs shouldn't really enter whatever tournaments they're running, since it makes them do a mediocre job on both fronts (normally), soooo back-up is pretty important.

Biggest thing for our non-c3 tournaments is that I want them to be non-profit. Like... maaaaaaaybe we can kick some money towards TOs/back-up, but only to keep good TOs running tournaments well. Bad TOs shouldn't get $$$, since that's pretty much all they're in it for, but then there's that whole drawing-a-line dealio and blah blah.

I dunno, we'll figure it out when the time comes, but right now, I think any tournaments that feature just CO should probably not pay TOs, unless we have like... 32+ attendents. Or if it's like... one guy running 4 tourneys, cuz that stuff is stressful.

We'll figure it out, tho.

EDIT:

Oh, and ftr, ignore what I said about how I was gonna schedule tournaments. I was just steamed from bein' backstabbed and shiz (not by Greg, before people jump to conclusions). I dun wanna **** over C3. I just don't want us to be ****** over by the need for them.
We live in a capitalist society. If we don't like the quality of service being offered, we go somewhere else. The thing is C3 is the only place running real tournaments. the solution to forcing C3 to be better is good old fashioned competition. Just get some awesome community driven tournaments going and things will be right again.

Also some tips for organizing tournaments after seeing how POUND 4 was done:

1. Don't play loud music/hook games up to speaker systems. People need to hear when they're called for their matches, so make the room as quiet as a crowded room can get, and make the mic as loud as possible. And don't let non-TO's touch it.

2. Don't be sheepish with DQing people. When Plank started calling pools, he DQed everyone still playing friendlies. Of course they got back in because Plank is nice...for a fee lol. Just have there be some kind of punishment for people ******* about when things need to be done quickly and efficiently.

3. This isn't a problem most of the time because we all know each other but nametags really helped me to get to know new players and who people were. Just consider it for really big tourneys.

4. TOs can play in tournaments, but they need to be responsible enough to not get caught up in too many friendlies.

Top Bottom