• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
nonemus said:
5 Mr. Game & Watch (25 top8, 11 top4, 6 top2, 2 wins) - 202.4 - 6
5 Marth (39 top8, 14 top4, 3 top2, 5 wins) - 197.0 - 7

Why is GW above marth if marth won more, got top 8 and top 4 more??? (by a substantial margin too)
Ankoku also takes into account the number of contestants and the entry fee for any tournament (increase in either -> more points); while G&W has won more tournaments, it seems that Marth has won bigger tournaments.

Woot, ranks are back :).

Props to Edo, Nyjin, Kirk, and other Ike users for bringing in the points for Ike.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
G&W players might've won more important tournaments, or there might be a good deal of Marth secondaries which would lead to half points.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Probably those top2 G&W got were from a HUGE tourney, therefore more points.

Ankoku beat me to it >_>...err, the other guy too lol

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
glad 2 see list is back :)

But look @ this:

5 Mr. Game & Watch (25 top8, 11 top4, 6 top2, 2 wins) - 202.4 - 6
5 Marth (39 top8, 14 top4, 3 top2, 5 wins) - 197.0 - 7

Why is GW above marth if marth won more, got top 8 and top 4 more??? (by a substantial margin too)
Look at the formula. It accounts for the size and cost of tournaments, since a stronger field deserves more weight.

EDIT: Wow, Sarnath'd massively.

Browny

Smash Hater
when somebody learns to make snakes recovery not blow chunks, and he ends up beign broken too...

p.s. sonic sucks, he only does well in areas that have crappy players to begin with
lol my wins with sonic (the latest one still hasnt been inlcuded :D) dont add up that much to the list at all, each one is worth only like 5-10 points so its not like me playing in a region where the players have questionable skill is affecting the numbers by any decent amount.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi was in B until he dropped?

Wow, too bad he didn't stay there.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ike sucks

and dj, if you win a tourney thats already taking Gdorf and jigglys point and quintupling them both at the same time

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Oddly enough... Marth and G&W are, in my opinion, right where they should be. Switch Wario with Falco... and the list makes so much sense o.O.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Indeed, "Overused" fits Wario more than "Uber" does, if you know what I mean

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
TOURNAMENT: Wisconsin Library Local
LINK: http://www.hartlandlibrary.org/teen_link_pages/games.html (will be updated with top 3 later.)
DATE: November 1st, 2008
LOCALE: Midwest
ENTRANTS: 25
ENTRY: (none) government funded so we couldn't give out cast prizes either.
RESULTS:
1 Nacho (Samus/Zero Suit)
2 Ryan (Bowser)
3 Carl (Metaknight)
4 Justin (Lucario)
5 *lost name* (Fox)
5 Addison (Wolf)
7 Josh (Lucario)
7 Tyler (Ganondorf)

I could have beaten Bowser if Green Green's didn't hate me. I feel good about going even with Metaknight. I've beaten him before, but he has gotten better with him.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I'm pretty sure I've heard Ankoku say No fee = No points. Something to do with the formula...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*Hmph" Dead on in the middle for tourney results and the SBR had the nerve to put Sonic where he currently is on the "tier" list...

Good thing it's for *shot*.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
are you sure, i think it just means less points...

and how the hell do you get a smash tourney to be government funded?
I really don't know, my library just asked to get funding for a gaming tournament and they said yes. Brawl, guitar Hero, Wii sports, DDR, we hold those kinds of tournaments.

One of the conditions was no entry fee or prize money, we do get prizes just not cash.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
The formula isn't terribly complicated. In fact, it's right there on the first post. >>

The math behind the list is as follows:
Base values are
1 for top eight
4 for top four
7 for second
10 for first
Base values are then multiplied by number of entrants and entry fee, then divided by 160.
Multiplication by zero = Free tournies are worth zero points.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The formula isn't terribly complicated. In fact, it's right there on the first post. >>

Considering you multiply by the entry fee, that means a tourney with zero entry fee is worth zero points.
Well that sucks.

Five of the eight people who toped, including myself, aren't that bad. If other people would have shown up, then the results would have included a (Kirby/Toon Link) and someone maining Random.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There's two formulas, I use whichever one based on the information available to me.
ENTRANTS * ENTRY FEE / 160
TOTAL PAYOUT / 160

They both give the same number usually, but sometimes payout is more relevant, like when people pay $40 to enter Brawl Singles, Brawl Doubles, Melee Singles, and Naruto or something.

If you can give me the cash value of the prizes I can work something out.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There's two formulas, I use whichever one based on the information available to me.
ENTRANTS * ENTRY FEE / 160
TOTAL PAYOUT / 160

They both give the same number usually, but sometimes payout is more relevant, like when people pay $40 to enter Brawl Singles, Brawl Doubles, Melee Singles, and Naruto or something.

If you can give me the cash value of the prizes I can work something out.
First got about $10 worth of stuff, second got $8 and third got $6, everyone else in the top eight got about $3 worth.

Again it's not much, it supposed to be a free event for the area to participate in. It was one of the main reasons the program got funded in the first place.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Competition centers around incentive. The greater the incentive, the greater the drive to win. This is why I measure by entry fee/payout.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Competition centers around incentive. The greater the incentive, the greater the drive to win. This is why I measure by entry fee/payout.
I agree with this, but they wanted a higher turnout.

Brawl gets older kids, but the other tournament don't. We don't want an entry fee to detour younger kids who want to enter, but can't due to being kids or poor.

I'll leave judgment of it's acceptance to you. If free means it can't be accepted, that's fine. The quoted statement is quite valid in why my local wouldn't work in the rankings.

I'd like it to be accepted, but again, I'll leave it to you to decide.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I agree with this, but they wanted a higher turnout.

Brawl gets older kids, but the other tournament don't. We don't want an entry fee to detour younger kids who want to enter, but can't due to being kids or poor.

I'll leave judgment of it's acceptance to you. If free means it can't be accepted, that's fine. The quoted statement is quite valid in why my local wouldn't work in the rankings.

I'd like it to be accepted, but again, I'll leave it to you to decide.
The tournament data will be accepted, don't worry about it.

It's just that, when you have +500$ on the line you're gonna play more seriously than a 10$ prize.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You realize I need to know how many people actually entered, right?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
NYC Poly Brawl 1
Nov. 1, 2008
Entry Fee is teh 5 dollahz:

1: Ninja Link ($87.00) - random? I saw plenty of Diddy and ROB tho. NL, tell us who u used... >_> Basically everyone, plus Tabuu...
2: Anti ($29.00) - DDD and GW was it? Again, confirmation
3: Malcom - Sonic, Wario
4: JTails - Ness
5: chaosmarth - Marth
5: Moo - P. Trainer, DK, Mario
7: Span - DK
7: BSChung - DDD

Still waiting for NL's/Anti's chars though =/

EDIT: Rawr, just noticed you had already posted in that thread Ankoku -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom