• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Tony, put it back up. I actually just came to the thread to sticky it, because I was shocked it wasn't stickied yet. Kyari is the only one who feels that way for a reason; because it's not true.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
So MK beat Ankoku....not surprised.

Although I really enjoyed the list and it was fun to see how much the lower tier characters moved around so much I can understand why it was closed. While i may be sad, i support the decision

This list basically told people to choose MK. Right now, MK is on the verge of being banned, I suppose the SBR want to see what will happen if the list is taken down.

If MK begins to die off because players won't have a list they can go to to see who is the best, there will be few MK's, other characters metagames may progress, and MK might not get a ban.

However, If the MK plague continues to spread even without the list then the SBR might ban MK seeing that it is a problem with the game and not something like Ankoku's list. This would result in Ankoku probably putting up an entirely new list because of a new metagame. We could re track EVERYTHING. WOULDN"T THAT BE FUN!!!!

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
It is not possible to prove whether it is true or not. However, I think it's a logical assumption.

Swordplay I am but a member of the SBR, and my opinion does not represent the SBR in its entirety.

Besides, I think this will have no effect now.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Oh Kyari, I want to play you with Link but you never let me...Why must you love him so much......

Okay back to the matter at hand.

Yes, I know you are a member of the SBR and you do not represent all of the SBR.

I am merely saying that it is a decent idea to test the theory if this list actually affected the number of MK players out there. My reasoning are stated in my post prior to this one. With MK on the verge of being banned, we need to examine everything about the game and what affects it so the SBR can make an accurate decision. While they may not issue a ban for some time if ever, tests such as temporarily taking this list down to see if there was any effect could prove to be points of discussion when the time to make the decision occurs.

I also think it will have no effect but we will have to see won't we.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I so love opinions with little to back them up. Particularily when they're negative and actually impact someone.

Compared to, say...the stickied tier list, or actual experience at tournaments, I think you'd be hard pressed to justify a list that simply showed the data about MK as damaging to the metagame. Even not compared to those I'm uncertain how well you can justify saying it damaged anything, it had no opinion but was a simple collation of facts.

If this list was actually modifying how many people were playing characters in a harmful way, why didn't people stay with Snake even longer rather than switching to MK? Because they heard about it from other places than just a recording of what had happened in the past.
The rankings list is good because it shows trends trends TRENDS - but that data is often interpreted to mean that it represents character potential or that the numbers actually quantify tier placement.

You know how fear in the stock markets affect confidence, and the lack of confidence causes panic and further drops in stocks? Yeah, it's a similar principle.

Also I vaguely remember you. I'm Ruler_of_Melee from days of old, dunno if I posted often enough back then for you to remember my former name though.

J4pu

Smash Champion
While i may be sad, i support the decision
!
Dude, SHHHHHH!!!!! Samurai's asking for it to be resumed, don't agree with it coming down being a good thing, that could only add more reason for Ankoku to keep it down.

Guys, the project is going to back up with a sticky ^^^

No need to continue this on All is Brawl (ew, worst forums ever)
nope, allisbrawl has a very good tournament finder, i have yet to hear of any redeeming qualities of gamefaqs.

Levitas

the moon
I'd like to point out none of you have any business trying to attack Kyari and his opinion.. Trust me, you don't.
And no one has any business judging Ankoku's decisions either. Trust me, you don't.
That has to be the most conceited post I've seen since I've read a Yuna post.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That has to be the most conceited post I've seen since I've read a Yuna post.
yo, back off of him, they all know what they are talking about, just because you dont understand doesnt mean that it was conceited or prideful, and in actuality, proves his point even further.

and for the record he did say that hes still going to be keeping track of all the results either way.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Levitas knows exactly who I am, but I'm almost sure that none of you know my exact reasons.

Levitas

the moon
yo, back off of him, they all know what they are talking about, just because you dont understand doesnt mean that it was conceited or prideful, and in actuality, proves his point even further.

and for the record he did say that hes still going to be keeping track of all the results either way.
Funny. I think you just insulted my ability to think.

I can judge George Bush, too.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Dude there is nothing wrong with supporting the decision.....

And I only support it temporarily to see if at has any affect, which i don't think it will.

In the long term of course I want it back up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Funny. I think you just insulted my ability to think.

I can judge George Bush, too.
sorry, not my intention, regardless xiivi is like one of the least prideful guys i know, he wasnt saying anythng like that either.

i think we all have free reign to judge george bush at this point

Samuelson

Smash Lord
So i said that AiB forums suck and you guys think i said that the whole website sucks...way to blow things way out of proportion hahaha

The chat room is awesome and it's really good for finding tournaments, other then that it sucks, especially compared to SWF.

Anyways, i would be very happy if this project continued :)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So i said that AiB forums suck and you guys think i said that the whole website sucks...way to blow things way out of proportion hahaha

The chat room is awesome and it's really good for finding tournaments, other then that it sucks, especially compared to SWF.

Anyways, i would be very happy if this project continued :)
The forums aren't bad. Just inactive. There are still sections for everything and the interface is fine.

PLUS they have character specific mods. I hear the Sonic mod is a kewl guy. XD

salaboB

Smash Champion
The rankings list is good because it shows trends trends TRENDS - but that data is often interpreted to mean that it represents character potential or that the numbers actually quantify tier placement.

You know how fear in the stock markets affect confidence, and the lack of confidence causes panic and further drops in stocks? Yeah, it's a similar principle.

Also I vaguely remember you. I'm Ruler_of_Melee from days of old, dunno if I posted often enough back then for you to remember my former name though.
The difference is that anyone likely to be able to check the character rankings list will already have a vague idea of the tournament results on their own -- they'll be telling their friends MK is dominating whether they have it all listed in black and white or not. And it might be even worse, since they'll think that their little group of friends all playing MK means he's even more dominant than he even is. But, I don't know. I recognize the stupidity of people when they're panicking, I just don't think it applies that much here.

I also very vaguely recognize your name, but it's been so long it could just be wishful thinking. I think I was pretty active for a while back then (Took a break when the boards slowed down after Melee's metagame mostly stabilized).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom