• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If for some reason the top players thought Captain Falcon was the best and only played him (0% possibility) then he would be the one dominating. So basically whomever the top players flock to will be the one to do best in the tournament scene.
This is wrong. When the game came out, everyone thought Falcon would be great. He is a popular character. LOTS of people love and pick Falcon, including top pros. They tried using him to win. They failed. They moved on. Yeah, if every pro picked him he would be higher than he is, but he wouldn't even make it into mid tier.

Tournament placing doesn't determine a character's potential, it only determines how many top players each character has. Meta Knight's lead above everyone else isn't because he's that much better, it's because so many good players use him. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Meta Knight isn't the best; I'm only saying that Meta Knight isn't as good as the difference shows. He's not 1.6 times better than the 2nd best character. That number is inflated by the top players focusing on him.
You make a good point about Metaknight being the best but the difference not being 1.6, but don't say such silly things like Falcon would be the best if pros picked him to make your point, it makes your good point get completely lost and ignored because of such comments.

Also, I personally think a great way to see a character's potential is to see how well they do in tournments factored out by how many people actually play the character. Ahem, Peach s in B rank, despite how many people actually use Peach in tournies? Not much :p

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha the cfalcon thing is just another one of those conspiracy theories

people for some reason expect we get together and agree that we are all going to play x character best and make up our tier list based on preferences XD

captain falcon is absolutely horrendous hahahaha cf dominating the scene that is wonderful

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By the way guys, remember that one dude who was talking about all the broken turn-one wins in Magic the Gathering?

They were all beaten by a single card that every deck ran four of.

Meta Knight

can be beaten by a single character that everyone can easily pick up.

lol ok I'm done.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If the tier list was based on character popularity, I gaurantee you sonic would be first and captain falcon would be second. I guess if more people played Ness he would be able to break out of marth's infinite grab using magical popularity powers. Popularity can play a role by boosting a character up one or two spots or down one or two spots, but thats it. Not from worst character in the game to best..lol.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
If the tier list was based on character popularity, I gaurantee you sonic would be first and captain falcon would be second. I guess if more people played Ness he would be able to break out of marth's infinite grab using magical popularity powers. Popularity can play a role by boosting a character up one or two spots or down one or two spots, but thats it. Not from worst character in the game to best..lol.
I thought people hated Sonic....xD I think hes pretty cool, but his moveset coulda been better.
Canonically, Ness is wayyyy too good for smash bros.

i don't, cuz i believe ganondorf is at least 4x the badass level of capn falcon.
BLASPHAMEY!

Capt Falcon was here first, main reason I like him more.

Plus Ganny is kinda clonish... also Captain Falcon knees people with electric powers then tells them to show their moves.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Ban MetaKnight already...

I mean, every character should have a chance, and judging by the Bi-Weekly list Tournament results somebody posted, where it was all MetaKnight's that the characters mained, (in the top 4) that right there is enough evidence.

Plus, 500 points more than Snake?! Are you serious?

... Wow..... >_>

I'm sure that if their cheap MetaKnight gets banned, they could main someone else with not that much difficulty..

I mean, he's TOO good.... it's not fair at all... and users also spam, camp, and do that infinite cape glitch thing....

gantrain05

Smash Master
I thought people hated Sonic....xD I think hes pretty cool, but his moveset coulda been better.
Canonically, Ness is wayyyy too good for smash bros.

BLASPHAMEY!

Capt Falcon was here first, main reason I like him more.

Plus Ganny is kinda clonish... also Captain Falcon knees people with electric powers then tells them to show their moves.
yeah, but ganon chokes ppl and then stomps their skulls in and laughs maniacally.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I'm sure that if their cheap MetaKnight gets banned, they could main someone else with not that much difficulty..

I mean, he's TOO good.... it's not fair at all... and users also spam, camp, and do that infinite cape glitch thing....
if MetaKnight was banned
"Snake!" "Kept you waiting, huh?"

the infinite glitch is bannnned. Or it is in all tournies I go to. Spam and Camp is just a brawl playstyle now.

Maybe once hes Akuma Status then he`ll be banned.

it's not fair at all...

Hahahaha, very nice pun.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
granted Metaknight should be banned eventually, I doubt it will happen anytime soon, nor do I believe it should. Same was said of Snake early on (after the "he's too slow to be useful" period that lasted all of ten minutes). But now he is very much beatable and countered by a few characters easily even. And Snake is still quite a bit above Wario if you want to call the point distribution into question(way out in front if you look at the ratio). Besides, metaknight hates water...use that to your advantage.

@Endreeses: Ness can already break out of Marth's infinigrab with his magical powers(but most people who don't main Ness haven't realized it yet). Which is why I can still beat Marths in tourneys...most of the time...

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
1 JesiahTEG (Snake/MK)
2 Silverspawn (MK/D3)
4 Asylum (Snake/MK)
5 Owna (MK)
Okay, for those of you WHINING about this tournament, let set some things straight for you.

JesiahTEG mains Snake, and only used MK when someone did something like counterpick Yoshi's Island (Pipes) against him. MK hardly did anything here other than cover some of Snake's flaws. MK hardly claimed first place this tournament. Same goes for Asylum.

Silverspawn and Owna are legit MK mains, but even Silverspawn needed to break out DDD when he felt it was needed.

Seriously, MK didn't own this tourny or anything.

You're all just a bunch of idiots if you think MK is actually dominating anything by being everyone's secondary.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Okay, for those of you WHINING about this tournament, let set some things straight for you.

JesiahTEG mains Snake, and only used MK when someone did something like counterpick Yoshi's Island (Pipes) against him. MK hardly did anything here other than cover some of Snake's flaws. MK hardly claimed first place this tournament. Same goes for Asylum.

Silverspawn and Owna are legit MK mains, but even Silverspawn needed to break out DDD when he felt it was needed.

Seriously, MK didn't own this tourny or anything.

You're all just a bunch of idiots if you think MK is actually dominating anything by being everyone's secondary.
nah, anyone who secondaries MK is just afraid to admit they want to use a super broken character, its like maining ganon and secondary mk, "well ganon has a disadvantage so i switched to meta" its like having a backup that has no weaknesses so if someone figures out your main, you basically have an auto-win backup.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
nah, anyone who secondaries MK is just afraid to admit they want to use a super broken character, its like maining ganon and secondary mk, "well ganon has a disadvantage so i switched to meta" its like having a backup that has no weaknesses so if someone figures out your main, you basically have an auto-win backup.

Pretty much. Some one could "main" ganon, use him 1st match in a set, lose, say "they figured out my main i switch to MK" win with MK, win again with MK, rinse and repeat. In finals use ganon too so you can say"Hey i used him even if I lost w/him he still deserves the points."

lol but im one to talk, i seconday snake yet I use him so little Im not sure he even counts as a secondary (in a match with my ill ussually use my snake once or none and my ness twice or three times)

cutter

Smash Champion
@ Ankoku: Yes I am very aware of FoW, but Magic was a whole different story BEFORE it came out in Alliances. Balance was all the rage back then and then it was banned :p There is a reason why FoW is called "the glue that holds Vintage together".

I was talking about the Pokemon TCG's quick kills. I understand Wizards has come a long way from the Prof Oak/Bill/Computer Search draw out your deck by turn 2, but I still don't like the idea of playing trainer cards for free. :/

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Pretty much. Some one could "main" ganon, use him 1st match in a set, lose, say "they figured out my main i switch to MK" win with MK, win again with MK, rinse and repeat. In finals use ganon too so you can say"Hey i used him even if I lost w/him he still deserves the points."
lmao I used Ganon during grand finals of a tourney on Saturday :laugh:

But I only counted Marth in the results because he's who I used most

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
lmao I used Ganon during grand finals of a tourney on Saturday :laugh:

But I only counted Marth in the results because he's who I used most
lmao thats freaking funny, im guessing you did it for the lawls or are you actually good enough with him for it to count as your secondary?

nice though, very nice.

CO18

Smash Hero
dont think gigs results were posted here. yeah danny is good. This should help pit out quite a bit.

Gigabits - 9/6

Number of Entrants: 64
Entry Fee: 15$
Orlando Florida

1. Danny(c.doc)- Pit
2. Leh(Afro Thundah)- Snake/MK
3. Hrnut- Marth/Snake/Falcon/Olimar
4. Rx - MK/Falcon
5. Gmoney - Wario/MK
5. Sheermadness - Kirby
7. Col Bol - Dedede
7. Chaz - Marth/MK

Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184923

2 TOP 4's for FALCOOOONN

felix45

Smash Lord
okay here are results from 2 Midnight Gaming Championship tournies. MGC tournaments are single elimination, so it only accurately depicts 1st and 2nd place by design. in all fairness double elim only accurately depicts up to 4th place accurately, but you have recorded up to 8th, so I will tell you who used who up to 4th place.

Entrants - 40ish
entry fee - free
where - MGC in lubbock, TX
1st (jra64): ICs, snake, Metaknight, marth, rob
2nd (felix45): Rob, snake, MK, DK
4th (Julias): Snake
4th (Andre): Mario

Entrants - 40ish
entry fee - free
where - MGC in lubbock, TX
1st (felix45): Rob, Snake, MK, DK
2nd (Julias): Snake
4th (Sean): Marth
4th (Adam): Zelda/Shiek

I guess the link would be whatever the MGC main website is.

Levitas

the moon
Actually, the resolution of double elimination is 2 assuming linear skill (no possibility of A < B < C < A).

Meaning only 1st and 2nd place are guaranteed accurate, and not even that in the real world.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but should certain tourneys be worth "more points" than others? A win at EVO means a lot more than a win at a bi-weekly tournament in some dude's basement.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A win at EVO means nothing. A win at Axis counts for significantly more than a win at some local tournament.

gantrain05

Smash Master
a tourney should only be counted higher if there are higher number of participants, it shouldn't matter the name or the place of the tourney.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Look in florida, danny (C-doc) is doing really well with pit
I'll keep that in mind. I'm in favor of many good Pit players. We already know that Sagemoon is epic win as well. Are there any other good Pits that I should look for?

dont think gigs results were posted here. yeah danny is good. This should help pit out quite a bit.

Gigabits - 9/6

Number of Entrants: 64
Entry Fee: 15$
Orlando Florida

1. Danny(c.doc)- Pit
2. Leh(Afro Thundah)- Snake/MK
3. Hrnut- Marth/Snake/Falcon/Olimar
4. Rx - MK/Falcon
5. Gmoney - Wario/MK
5. Sheermadness - Kirby
7. Col Bol - Dedede
7. Chaz - Marth/MK

Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184923

2 TOP 4's for FALCOOOONN
I'm very pleased to see a Pit place first in a large tourney. It actually makes me very happy. :)
I mean seriously, some ppl just underestimate the character because about 80% of all Pit players are just the spammy type, and it's giving some of us good Pit players, or Pit in general, a bad reputation. It reminds me of some ppl that stereotype Pit saying that all of em are spammers, and we know it isnt true.
That actually makes me angry, especially when others also call Pit cheap and broken (Even some MK and Snake users who played me told me that too when I beat em with Pit).

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Pit is annoying, however he is no where near cheap.

The bad voice, annoying arrows, hiyayaya, etc. are very annoying

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I tend to lose to Pits entirely because the voice pisses me off so much. It gets in my head and I just stop playing well.

I think that's pretty cheap, man.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lmao thats freaking funny, im guessing you did it for the lawls or are you actually good enough with him for it to count as your secondary?

nice though, very nice.
Well D.Disciple, the person I was playing against, was ****** all of my mains and I just didn't know what to do. He was Lucario and as you may know Lucario becomes a beast after 100% damage. I was gonna pick Ganon for the lulz but then I realized that he can kill at crazy low %s, plus I play a bit of Ganon on the side so I said what the heck, I'll do it. It was a desperate pick. I got him down to last stock and almost won too lol. But after that the surprise factor was gone, plus Lucario has like a guaranteed 0-60 combo on Ganon >_>

it was recorded but it's not up yet =p

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I suggest dropping Zelda and Sheik from the list and just giving their points to Zelda/Sheik. At this point, it's clear that the transforming style is dominant over a pure style either way which effectively makes never changing into just that: a playstyle. I think the old justification for counting them separately in melee really boiled down to "Sheik is so much better than Zelda that switching between them doesn't make sense". I think that kinda holds for Samus/Zero Suit Samus still (the number of players who use the Samus -> Zero Suit Samus taunt transformation mid-match is insignificant, and Zero Suit Samus is obviously the way better form)
Not to get into who's "better" or matchup considerations, but ZSS also can't transform back into [Power Suit] Samus in standard competitive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom