• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
MK is so awesome now.
1337 LOLquazas
In part of my sig you cannot see nao

Levitas

the moon
Every deck should have bitterblossom.

back when goyf was the big deal, we decided that the best way to make any deck better was to add it. But goyf really isn't that broken either.

I just want to see a blue white red deck playing bitterblossom with no black sources because it's that good of a card.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Garchomp was just too good and it didnt take long for Pokemon TOs all over to start randomly banning him to try and even things out a little. The problem with Garchomp wasn't he just was on every team, it was that every team also had to carry one pokemon just to take care of him. It was a sad state of affairs. Also, I quit MTG a long time ago when the game started getting overloaded with excessive ***gotry in the card abilities and effects.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Speaking of the cards, has anyone heard that the Mew Promo from a few years back is now going for like forty bucks a pop, or some equally obscene number?

I wish I hadn't lost my copy. :(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, seriously? It wasn't even a good card, it just looked fancy and you'd get it for paying to see a Pokémon movie in a theatre.

Browny

Smash Hater
I still have that card buried in my wardrobe now lol. Do you mean the one with all the hieroglyphic symbols on it?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
lol, seriously? It wasn't even a good card, it just looked fancy and you'd get it for paying to see a Pokémon movie in a theatre.
It's all hearsay, mind you. But I think you've said precisely why it's so hilarious. After looking around, 40 dollars is a gross exaggeration (I don't remember where I got that number), but the fact that it's worth money at all is hilarious to me.

djbrowny: that's the one.

Samochan

Smash Master
Speaking of the cards, has anyone heard that the Mew Promo from a few years back is now going for like forty bucks a pop, or some equally obscene number?

I wish I hadn't lost my copy. :(
D:

I have many of those, in pristine condition (or almost, not my fault then if not). Same thing with the old cards, my buddy still has lots of shiny pokemon (not shiny card, but pokemon) and then that uuh, southern island cards as well. Where can I check dem prices and stuff?

D

Deleted member

Ike's in the "never used" section.

Hah! And they say Ike's overused.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
DETAILS
* Rank <LOLquaza>
1 :metaknight: Meta Knight (41 top8, 25 top4, 14 top2, 28 wins) - 1337.6

1337?!?! Dear god, he's unstoppable!

But seriously, I'm surprised seeing Sonic so low. Coulda sworn he was in D rank just a week ago.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
no old cards allowed. >.>

what the hell....? So if i go to some pokemon card tourney (lol) and I had that old *** charizard or something in my deck, it would be banned?

how bout something old but real suckey....like a freaking farfetchd or something.

Samochan

Smash Master
what the hell....? So if i go to some pokemon card tourney (lol) and I had that old *** charizard or something in my deck, it would be banned?

how bout something old but real suckey....like a freaking farfetchd or something.
Well they're allowed on unlimited... but yea, the older cards are out of date now, so thus banned on regular sets. Even those that have just updated versions of the old cards, like Bill. >.> And the new cards are just lame, with the abundance of Ex pokemon that now for some reason have 200hp or more and omg deal ridiculous amount of damage, like 150-200. >_>; Then with the new cards, the old ones just don't work so well, like rare candy > pokemon breeder and so on.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not ****ing updating a list when I got a total of two new tournaments added in since last week.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Suddenly this topic changed to "The official Pokemon Competitive Discussion" :p

Garchomp isn't really that broken, any pokemon thats Faster will easily wreck him with Ice Beam

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Suddenly this topic changed to "The official Pokemon Competitive Discussion" :p

Garchomp isn't really that broken, any pokemon thats Faster will easily wreck him with Ice Beam
Not really. Yache Berry Chomps even survive non-STAB blizzards. An unboosted Ice Beam will pretty much never OHKO a Yache Chomp. Another one of the main broken features of Garchomp is that he has 102 base speed, which outspeeds SOOOO many base 100 pokemon. One swords dance can cost the game, and even resistant pokemon cannot wall his outrage very well. Those that do (Skarm, Bronzong...???) are easily countered.

Mamoswine Ice Shard, Shard/Ice Punch Weavile, or sticking HP Ice or Ice beam on random physical walls is pretty much the only way to beat him.

Heck, my Jolly Weavile gets outsped by the less common choice scarf garchomp.

Uggghhh. The main reason behind his ban at smogon was because there's basically no way to coutner him. He's too good for OU standard (but unfortunately he's not that great in ubers... only decent.)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I'm a much better pokémon player than I am at Smash and, for the sake of relating it to Smash, Garchomp is like the Meta Knight of standard play. *ahem* There is no pure counter to Yache 'Chomp but likewise can be said of many other offensive pokémon like Lucario or Gengar. (They rely more on unpredictability than brute force as Garchomp does, but a kill's a kill in my book.) I'm not bringing the whole debate here, I'm just letting it be known that not all of us competitive Pokémon-ers think he needed elevated to uber status. :/

His usability in the Uber metagame is irrelevant, although he's really not that bad there either. He outspeeds a lot of the slower ubers and Dragon is probably the most common defensive type (Dialga/Palkia, the Latis, Rayquaza) behind Psychic, so he blows away a good deal of the uber cast.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Chudat had another biweekly two days ago. I think he won with Kirby and Ninjalink placed 2nd.

Brawl Singles
1. ChuDat
2. NinjaLink
3. G-Regulate
4. Boss
5. Forte
5. Jceasar

Chu used Kirby, NL used Diddy/ROB/others maybe, G-reg used Snake, Boss used Luigi and Mario(I think?), Forte used MK, and Jceasar used ROB

Bouse

Smash Ace
Swamp
Dark Ritual x4
Lightening Boots
Phage the Untouchable
She touched your no-no place.

Either that or...
Mountain
Spark Elemental
x2 Blazing Shoals with Myojin's of Infinite Rage
Attack for 23.
Is big boom.

I should start playing that game again...

I miss Arc-Sloggers...

cutter

Smash Champion
Now we're talking about the pokemon TCG? ****.

It's really sad Wizards of the Coast made pokemon such an overpowered game when compared to MTG. The trainer cards were so broken it was unreal.

Bill = Ancestral Recall
Professor Oak = Contract from Below
Computer Search = Demonic Tutor
Energy Search = fetchlands on crack
Item Finder = Regrowth
Energy Removal = Stone Rain
Kanghaskan = SELF Howling Mine

Unlike MTG, Trainer cards are completely free and weren't banned at all. Just play the card and reap the benefits big time.

What made Pokemon even more ridiculous was the fact that you mulliganed and drew 7 new cards every time. This allowed Rain Dance Blastoise decks to be able to set up a turn 2 kill by purposely running only like 4 Squirtle, 4x Chansey and 4x Kanghaskan for stall. Who cares if your opponent draws 2 cards per mulligan if you kill them on turn 2-3.

I made the Rain Dance deck so long ago; games basically went like this:

Get Squirtle on the bench and put out Chansey/Kangaskhan for stall. Play Bills and Prof. Oaks to draw out my deck. Use Computer Search to tutor for a Pokemon Breeder so I get a turn 2 Blastoise. Bring out Blastoise via a Switch or something else and wipe out the opponent's army with 60 damage Hydro Pumps every turn. Good game.

The Pokemon TCG was a terrible game. The devs didn't care at all to test the cards and Wizards never really took the game seriously at a competitive level like they do with MTG.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Stop the Pokemon discussion? ....What?

Lucario should have his Swords Dance set in Brawl. Yayuhzzz.

Mr. E yeah you're probably right. I suppose that despite his dominance of OU, he doesn't have such an advantage over the rest of the cast that he should be thrown into ubers. Even pokemon who barely make the cut such as Wobbufett and Manaphy are still incredibly powerful and would affect the OU metagame much more than Garchomp.

Still, I think it sort of gives a fresh new start to OU play, and teams are becoming more diverse. (I'm seeing a lot more Lucarios though... I guess he's the new offensive beast to watch out for, haha. Well, at least he dies to one earthquake by practically anything as long as you don't let him set up.)

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Now we're talking about the pokemon TCG? ****.

It's really sad Wizards of the Coast made pokemon such an overpowered game when compared to MTG. The trainer cards were so broken it was unreal.

Bill = Ancestral Recall
Professor Oak = Contract from Below
Computer Search = Demonic Tutor
Energy Search = fetchlands on crack
Item Finder = Regrowth
Energy Removal = Stone Rain
Kanghaskan = SELF Howling Mine

Unlike MTG, Trainer cards are completely free and weren't banned at all. Just play the card and reap the benefits big time.

What made Pokemon even more ridiculous was the fact that you mulliganed and drew 7 new cards every time. This allowed Rain Dance Blastoise decks to be able to set up a turn 2 kill by purposely running only like 4 Squirtle, 4x Chansey and 4x Kanghaskan for stall. Who cares if your opponent draws 2 cards per mulligan if you kill them on turn 2-3.

I made the Rain Dance deck so long ago; games basically went like this:

Get Squirtle on the bench and put out Chansey/Kangaskhan for stall. Play Bills and Prof. Oaks to draw out my deck. Use Computer Search to tutor for a Pokemon Breeder so I get a turn 2 Blastoise. Bring out Blastoise via a Switch or something else and wipe out the opponent's army with 60 damage Hydro Pumps every turn. Good game.

The Pokemon TCG was a terrible game. The devs didn't care at all to test the cards and Wizards never really took the game seriously at a competitive level like they do with MTG.
You know they made the game much much less broken as it went on, right?

MTG started out with Ancestral Recall and Black Lotus and the Channel/Fireball deck.

My gripe with Pokemon isn't the brokenness because that can be fixed, it's that the game is fundamentally less interactive and therefore less fun than MTG.

I still loved it because I love card games in general <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom