• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Not really. Yache Berry Chomps even survive non-STAB blizzards. An unboosted Ice Beam will pretty much never OHKO a Yache Chomp. Another one of the main broken features of Garchomp is that he has 102 base speed, which outspeeds SOOOO many base 100 pokemon. One swords dance can cost the game, and even resistant pokemon cannot wall his outrage very well. Those that do (Skarm, Bronzong...???) are easily countered.

Mamoswine Ice Shard, Shard/Ice Punch Weavile, or sticking HP Ice or Ice beam on random physical walls is pretty much the only way to beat him.

Heck, my Jolly Weavile gets outsped by the less common choice scarf garchomp.

Uggghhh. The main reason behind his ban at smogon was because there's basically no way to coutner him. He's too good for OU standard (but unfortunately he's not that great in ubers... only decent.)
Garchomps barely carry Yache Berry, A Choice Scarf Porygon Z with Max Special Attack will OHKO with a single Ice Beam

Anyways, screw the pokemon discussion, there is a pokemon board over here

Samochan

Smash Master
Garchomps barely carry Yache Berry, A Choice Scarf Porygon Z with Max Special Attack will OHKO with a single Ice Beam
They carry yache berry simply because it allows garchomp to survive the ice attacks and then swords dance setup and ohko the opposing pokemon. Not only garchomp can pwn most of the pokemon on the entire game with single sword, but when those few reliable counters fail to counter him (counter stands for pokemon that can swich into garchomp and not get pwned in the process and can own him back), the metagame devolves into "who can use garchomp the best and who has the best team to get rid of garchomp" since garchomp is basically uncounterable with yache berry. Without yache it was bearable, weavile and friends could still ohko garchomp and force it out but now... team can only have so many ice beamers and chomp counters before it stops working as a whole. >_>

"Garchomp is arguably the best Pokemon in OU. It is the most commonly used Pokemon by a long shot, and there is even discussion about moving it to the Uber tier. Because of how often it is seen, using any Pokemon that Garchomp can set up on is generally asking for disaster" - note that garchomp is uber tier now

"Since the definition of a Garchomp counter is "a Pokemon that can switch into Garchomp and pose an immediate threat", the Swords Dancer moveset is literally uncounterable with Outrage and Yache Berry. No Pokemon can safely switch into Garchomp's powerful STAB attacks and threaten it before it is 2HKOd at worst"

- from smogon

/offtopic

Oh yes zelda-sheik is c-rank now, sweet. ^^

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi's almost at C again!

My poem:

Luigi's a risin, Luigi's surprisin, Luigi is lean and he's green!

Charoo

Smash Champion
Lucario should have had one of his ability in brawl instead of guts. Just think, Lucario having super armor (no flinching) or something. That would be too good

Mr.E

Smash Lord
More like Extremespeed shouldn't be an 'empty' recovery when, as a Pokémon attack, it's twice as strong as Quick Attack. Pretty sure we got that in Brawl too and it actually deals damage...

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god. MetaKnight now has a tier of his own, 500 points ahead from the runner up. That's even more points than the third in the ranking!

Do we really need more evidence to BAN him? Well, I suppose he won't be banned until he gets half of the points in the list. A few months, I guess. Just look at the pokémon community. They just banned Garchomp (the first ever non-legendary non-wobbufett pokémon to ever reach the "über" status), and a lot more pokémon are becoming viable.

cman

Smash Ace
Meta has 30 wins of 91 total tournies counted (if i counted correctly). At what point would be a suitable level to warrent a ban? More than half?

(This is an honest question. Not a "Leik OMGz MK is 2 gud ban nao!!!1!!111!1" statement.)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
According to the opinions of many people, apparently not until he wins every tournament that matters and by more people than Mew2King.

cman

Smash Ace
According to the opinions of many people, apparently not until he wins every tournament that matters and by more people than Mew2King.
That seems like it would be too long to wait. Also how many of the 30 were M2K?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lolimar is in B rank finally. It's interesting to see how he has progressed throughout the months. He began at around 15th, moved up to around 8-10th, dropped to 16th, and then moved back up to 14th. What's the deal?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Oh my god. MetaKnight now has a tier of his own, 500 points ahead from the runner up. That's even more points than the third in the ranking!

Do we really need more evidence to BAN him? Well, I suppose he won't be banned until he gets half of the points in the list. A few months, I guess. Just look at the pokémon community. They just banned Garchomp (the first ever non-legendary non-wobbufett pokémon to ever reach the "über" status), and a lot more pokémon are becoming viable.
Meta has 30 wins of 91 total tournies counted (if i counted correctly). At what point would be a suitable level to warrent a ban? More than half?

(This is an honest question. Not a "Leik OMGz MK is 2 gud ban nao!!!1!!111!1" statement.)
lol Metaknight is already banned in Italy

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
You know he was C last time but he moved down. That is why he's red.
Ohh :(... now I noticed that, I can't believe he got back in C rank, I was too busy looking at his green name to notice, I never even knew he was C rank recently. Pity then.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow... I haven't been in this thread in a week and so much has happened... Mario jumped like 10 spots and the metagame and pretty much become the Metaknight. :laugh: Metaknight now has more than 4 times the number of wins than Snake!?! If you can look at that with a straight face and say you're not concerned, you're a filthy liar. :psycho:

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Everyone pretty much suspected Meta Knight would be god...

Mario doesn't have much representation in tournies at all...I hope Mario ends up higher than low tier in the next tier list revisment...

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Pfff. It's all a giant placebo affect. MK sucks and when everyone realises that there will be 4 million MK mainers in a giant circle, sobbing on each others shoulders.

Irow

Smash Ace
Pfff. It's all a giant placebo affect. MK sucks and when everyone realises that there will be 4 million MK mainers in a giant circle, sobbing on each others shoulders.
If we were playing Metaknight in the first place, we wouldn't do that - Trust me.

We would move on to the next most broken characters.

And the cycle would just repeat.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I suggest dropping Zelda and Sheik from the list and just giving their points to Zelda/Sheik. At this point, it's clear that the transforming style is dominant over a pure style either way which effectively makes never changing into just that: a playstyle. I think the old justification for counting them separately in melee really boiled down to "Sheik is so much better than Zelda that switching between them doesn't make sense". I think that kinda holds for Samus/Zero Suit Samus still (the number of players who use the Samus -> Zero Suit Samus taunt transformation mid-match is insignificant, and Zero Suit Samus is obviously the way better form), but it just doesn't hold for Zelda/Sheik. The reason I bring this up is because the separate counting system under represents Zelda/Sheik as a character; adding all three together would give a total of 59.8 which would be slightly above Donkey Kong and would seem to be generally more honestly depict how good they are.

About Meta Knight's continuing rise (addressed to everyone), it's fueling itself. I'm not saying that Meta Knight isn't good (he is good), but just take the shoes of someone who is totally new to the game looking at this topic deciding which character to use. He sees Meta Knight with 1385.8 points which is more than any two other scores added together. He'll use Meta Knight. If he wins, Meta Knight gets more points. This isn't necessarily permanent. It leads the game to be oversaturated with Meta Knight well beyond what the game's real balance suggests, and that means the elements of the game that work against Meta Knight have the potential to become dominant, word will spread about this "new" threat (even if it was there all along), and there will be a huge re-alignment. Of course, the elements that lost to Meta Knight but do well against the things that beat him then can re-emerge, and it all "starts over" but less drastic each time as we spiral toward the game's real balance.

To be fair, there IS a possibility that it doesn't stop, that Meta Knight actually has no real way to stop him, and that the game eventually becomes so saturated with Meta Knight that it's clear that absolutely nothing else is viable. Then and only then does ban talk become reasonable. The odds of the current numbers being stable are very slim due to the magnitude of Meta Knight's current lead; the future will doubtless provide much clearer guidance than a premature ban.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
I think Meta Knight doing so well has more to do with all the pros playing him than the character itself.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace

I need a link from where they announced that, or should I go to Smogon/Serebii to find that out?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit isnt doing too well, and Im not pleased. Im actually surprised that Wario is way up in there, above CG-addictive D3 and Falco.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't think ther's anything wrong with Pits position: He's an over-average character and so are his tourney results. TL is a differnt matter...

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Arena 51 Biweeklies 9/13:

Number of entrants: 26
Entry fee: $15
Where it was (what state it was in, or something): Rochester, NY
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8:

1 JesiahTEG (Snake/MK)
2 Silverspawn (MK/D3)
3 Neil (Pikachu)
4 Asylum (Snake/MK)
5 Owna (MK)
5 Great White aka KoJ (Falco/ROB)
7 NessOnett (Ness)
7 Banisher(Ike/Mario)

Link to tournament page or results page:
http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules...pic&t=2256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

gantrain05

Smash Master
Arena 51 Biweeklies 9/13:

Number of entrants: 26
Entry fee: $15
Where it was (what state it was in, or something): Rochester, NY
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8:

1 JesiahTEG (Snake/MK)
2 Silverspawn (MK/D3)
3 Neil (Pikachu)
4 Asylum (Snake/MK)
5 Owna (MK)
5 Great White aka KoJ (Falco/ROB)
7 NessOnett (Ness)
7 Banisher(Ike/Mario)

Link to tournament page or results page:
http://www.arena51.com/nuke/modules...pic&t=2256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105
yeah, keep posting results like this and we get closer to having MK banned.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
And why do you think pros play him...
Because they're convinced he's the best. I really doubt they've throughly tried the other 36 characters. The skill of the player has a lot more to do than the potential of the character. Even in the tournament scene where skill is supposed to be equal because players are at the top of their game, it's not. There's a few that are above the rest and the character they play will likely win no matter the match up. How well you can read and punish your opponent means far more than what your character is able to do. If the majority of top players play Meta Knight because they think he's the best then he will continue to do the best. If for some reason the top players thought Captain Falcon was the best and only played him (0% possibility) then he would be the one dominating. So basically whomever the top players flock to will be the one to do best in the tournament scene.

Tournament placing doesn't determine a character's potential, it only determines how many top players each character has. Meta Knight's lead above everyone else isn't because he's that much better, it's because so many good players use him. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying Meta Knight isn't the best; I'm only saying that Meta Knight isn't as good as the difference shows. He's not 1.6 times better than the 2nd best character. That number is inflated by the top players focusing on him.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, keep posting results like this and we get closer to having MK banned.
Not really. First place used MK as a secondary, second place mained DDD. Third got Pikachu.

People need to stop thinking the cup is half empty. MK is the best character, but he is neither unbeatable nor broken, which is constantly proven by results.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Not really. First place used MK as a secondary, second place mained DDD. Third got Pikachu.

People need to stop thinking the cup is half empty. MK is the best character, but he is neither unbeatable nor broken, which is constantly proven by results.
except isnt he considered banworthy if he makes over half the cast unviable? and if he takes up literally 4 out of the top 8 spots thats pretty rediculous.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
No, he'd be banworthy if he makes the ENTIRE cast unviable.

True that. Arnt Snake and Meta Knight Neutral?

Meta Knight is hard as hell, but if your REALLY good you can win. It takes a good player to win with Meta, and it takes a player twice as good as him to beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom