• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
changing robins ground speed?
robin is supposed to be the slowest character in the ground, sakurai should compensate with making him a little faster in the air and making thoron charge faster, I doubt he is going to remove his weakness.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It looks normal to me honestly. Just getting out of the egg when the color animation still happening, and it's #t=1m08s at the end of the link for YT stuff.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
On the subject of doubles teams: I'd imagine Ganondorf would be amazing with a support character like Sheik and Villager that can make up for his safety problems. He should probably never be used as a supporting character.

Ganon's version of "saving you" is making you die faster so you don't suffer as long.
True. Ganon is very good in doubles when it comes to controlling his space and punishing you brutally for venturing into it. He's not so good when it comes to helping out his teammate due to his poor mobility and the fact that anything he throws out has kill potential. A character who can handle 2v1s and is fast enough to bail him out of trouble from time to time is generally what you want. Beyond this you've got a fair amount of flexibility with what you can do, but extra bonus points are awarded for characters with good edgeguarding to play off of Ftilts, stun moves, and at least one or two strong kill moves that can cover Flame Choke setups. Meta Knight and custom Pika on paper seem like great fits, but there are other good options as well.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Can we stop asking for attribute changes like making Mewtwo heavier and stuff? They have made no such change in any of the patches thus far and it doesn't look like that's going to change.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Can we stop asking for attribute changes like making Mewtwo heavier and stuff? They have made no such change in any of the patches thus far and it doesn't look like that's going to change.
I agree 100%, but I would rather have them asking to make the average characters good instead of making the good characters average.

TriTails

Smash Lord
changing robins ground speed?
robin is supposed to be the slowest character in the ground, sakurai should compensate with making him a little faster in the air and making thoron charge faster, I doubt he is going to remove his weakness.
Robin can get a faster dashing speed on the same day D3 get an airspeed buff.

Now that I think of it.
D3's erespid: 0.65xxx
Luigi's erespid: 0.73xxx
Ganon's erespid: 0.79
Kirby's erespid: 0.8

Oh my.

Why the **** the bottom two is as far as Earth to Neptune to 3rd and 4th slowest.

Btw, @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord , what do you think about Marth vs Luigi?

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
I think Bowser would be a great doubles partner, he would benifit most from someone with amazing recovery to help him back out if he needs it, he also needs someone who can break him out of juggles and combos, I think sheik, villy would be amazing, and maybe sonic

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why does he lose to link? I'm curious.

Also, how do you think Marth's fares against Pac-Man? Before his buffs, the matchup was ok because trampoline and hydrant traps kept him honest, but how do these buffs change the matchup?
Link's grab. That's it really. Free punishes on block. Other then that Marth actually wins imo. But grab is longer so Marth's nair buff doesnt mean much in this match.

I think Pac-man vs Marth is still even but I might be bias because I like Pac-man alot design wise and I really respect the thought and ingenuity from his community of players as well as that which his playstyle at a high level demands.

Marth vs Luigi may favor Marth slightly now just because Marth can more effectively keep Luigi out then he could before so now it's much more balanced on both sides. Marth has less vulnerable holes in his control/poke game for Luigi to take advantage of and get grab confirms. Marth is much safer on block against Luigi too due to his sliding in his shield when he gets poked. If Marth does win I don't think its huge though. The better player should win.

This is all default btw. Custom Marth I feel stomps both of them. Grab release to CS is pure jank garbage.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Marth has less vulnerable holes in his control/poke game for Luigi to take advantage of and get grab confirms. Marth is much safer on block against Luigi too due to his sliding in his shield when he gets poked. If Marth does win I don't think its huge though. The better player should win.
55:45 Marth? Sound about right.

This is all default btw. Custom Marth I feel stomps both of them. Grab release to CS is pure jank garbage.
I need to test out Cresent Slash. I wonder what kind of jank it has?

And btw, Luigi can grab release to jab. Nothing huge, just about 16%-19% off a grab...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Basically if Marth grabs certain chars near the ledge and they are over 100%, they are dead.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
On the subject of Robin, he needs a better DA and/or faster Jab transition to cover his dead zone, sorta like what Ike got this patch.

I'd also either suggest a better KO throw on him, or universal damage increases to all of his throws. It's probably okay for his grab game to have limited followups, but it really doesn't do enough for him.

Link's grab. That's it really/ Free punishes on block. Other then that Marth actually wins imo. But grab is longer so Marth's nair buff doesnt mean much in this match.

I think Pac-man vs Marth is still even but I might be bias because I like Pac-man alot design wise and I really respect the thought and ingenuity from his community of players as well as that which his playstyle at a high level demands.

Marth vs Luigi may favor Marth slightly now just because Marth can more effectively keep Luigi out then he could before so now it's much more balanced on both sides. Marth has less vulnerable holes in his control/poke game for Luigi to take advantage of and get grab confirms. Marth is much safer on block against Luigi too due to his sliding in his shield when he gets poked. If Marth does win I don't think its huge though. The better player should win.

Link also has really good tools on Marth's negative state. D-air is really consistent for edgeguarding Marth's Up-B, U-air actually can outrange Counter, and U-smash is not only powerful, it's not exceptionally risky to charge against Counter due to being multihit. It's not just simply the grab range, just to be clear.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Basically if Marth grabs certain chars near the ledge and they are over 100%, they are dead.
I wonder where I've heard that before...? :nervous:

Imo if you're going to buff mewtwo outside of weight, I would buff confusion and his aerials. Imo if Mewtwo had the godly Uair someone like Falcon had along with a stronger/faster Bair, I think he'd be pretty strong.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
just make :4mewtwo: everything kill 20-30% earlier. now he kills his opponents as fast as they kill him.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
That'd be one hell of a Uthrow.
thats how strong it was in melee

and if his weight isnt gonna change, i'd rather play a very high risk/very high reward character than a very high risk/high reward character.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
On the subject of Robin, he needs a better DA and/or faster Jab transition to cover his dead zone, sorta like what Ike got this patch.

I'd also either suggest a better KO throw on him, or universal damage increases to all of his throws. It's probably okay for his grab game to have limited followups, but it really doesn't do enough for him.

Link also has really good tools on Marth's negative state. D-air is really consistent for edgeguarding Marth's Up-B, U-air actually can outrange Counter, and U-smash is not only powerful, it's not exceptionally risky to charge against Counter due to being multihit. It's not just simply the grab range, just to be clear.
Yeah, however it's the grab that creates the negative state generally. Link in neutral always has enough to keep Marth honest, but Marth just outdid him due to safety and having a great advantage state. Link's grab really changes the match dynamics.

It's not horrible though. 6/4 Link. Nothing to cry about.

I'm sure Marths will still cry.

*shrug

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord Link does have a better disjoint than Marth, and his projectiles make him rethink strategies. If Link goes at Marth with bombs ablaze, there's so many things that can and will happen. Link's also got so many setups with Bombs and his N-Air, it's scary.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marth beats Link in disjoint. Marth also has more sword attacks. Link will only outrange Marth in Fsmash and (barely) Dsmash.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Can we talk about Jigglypuff? I don't think she is that good, and she will get lower as the meta develops, since people will know how to shield better to completely counter her. What are your guys thoughts?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
shielding doesnt counter :4jigglypuff:. while she may not have any followups, she has one of the best dashgrabs, probably the fastest 3% pummel, and every throw does 10% and puts you in a bad spot.

busken

Smash Ace
Does Lucas have a bad MU against Sheik? He has z-air and pk fire to combat sheik's aerial dominance but is that enough? I think Ness gets bodied by Sheik so i would imagine lucas does as well. Also with the rosalina MU, where she can down b pk thunder but lucas has z-air and more aerial mobility so idk.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Does Lucas have a bad MU against Sheik? He has z-air and pk fire to combat sheik's aerial dominance but is that enough? I think Ness gets bodied by Sheik so i would imagine lucas does as well. Also with the rosalina MU, where she can down b pk thunder but lucas has z-air and more aerial mobility so idk.
Everyone has a bad matchup against Sheik.

Or even I suppose. But most are bad.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
shielding doesnt counter :4jigglypuff:. while she may not have any followups, she has one of the best dashgrabs, probably the fastest 3% pummel, and every throw does 10% and puts you in a bad spot.
Err no she doesn't.

Sides, if you see her going for the dashgrab, roll back to safety. She has NO answer to that.

Miles_himself

Smash Rookie
NNID
Senpai
Is this the place where I can rant about why Mac hasn't been nerfed harder yet?
I mean, everyone who doesn't play Mac, hates Mac. Literally as strong as the Hulk, little to no lag on any attack ever, near guaranteed smash attacks due to armor, and an instakill. Whether skill is even required to play him is always debatable. His lack of aerial mobility is irrelevant completely. I struggled fighting Mac as I played as Roy. Not to mention he's like one of the fastest in the game.

I'll wait for replies before I start talking about how stupid Pikachu is.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I mean, everyone who doesn't play Mac, hates Mac. Literally as strong as the Hulk, little to no lag on any attack ever, near guaranteed smash attacks due to armor, and an instakill. Whether skill is even required to play him is always debatable. His lack of aerial mobility is irrelevant completely. I struggled fighting Mac as I played as Roy. Not to mention he's like one of the fastest in the game.

I hate to bring in the hard news, but you think Little Mac is too good because chances are, you aren't playing at a top or even high level. Little Mac is not a top-tier threat in this game by a long shot.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Platforms stymie his game badly (except Battlefield's lower ones which he can usmash), has very little to defend
himself from juggles and strings and his recovery is prone to being gimped if he makes even a small mistake.
For Glory makes him seem better than he really is what with lag and no platforms.

Also, just because you struggle at fighting him with a particular character you like using doesn't make him
broken.

I suppose your Pikachu rant will involve how difficult he is to catch in the air and how easy it is for him to gimp your Roy?

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
and then you figure that mac has the worst disadvantaged state in the game and is a featherweight

and then you figure that his only good stages are tnc/fd

and then you figure that he is nearly as difficult to play as :4shulk:or :4peach: at a high level due to his crippling flaws

\ (. u .) /

Miles_himself

Smash Rookie
NNID
Senpai
Platforms stymie his game badly (except Battlefield's lower ones which he can usmash), has very little to defend
himself from juggles and strings and his recovery is prone to being gimped if he makes even a small mistake.
For Glory makes him seem better than he really is what with lag and no platforms.

Also, just because you struggle at fighting him with a particular character you like using doesn't make him
broken.

I suppose your Pikachu rant will involve how difficult he is to catch in the air and how easy it is for him to gimp your Roy?
I totally understand what you're saying, and it's really hard to just go " yeah okay, he's not that great" when losing to him repeatedly. I'm totally aware of his weaknesses, but the Mac players are getting smarter, I can't just back throw into an aerial to take a stock from them anymore. He's hard for me to approach (possibly due to Roy's lack of approach options) and gets WAY too heavy of a punish in my opinion. I understand that he's truly an awful character, but if he is, it should feel like it when fighting him. Maybe if he had a bit more end lag on smashes it would even thin out, since he has super armor already. Not to mention that for glory inadvertently favors scrubby rolling. It just feels impossible to punish him since he has like no lag on anything. I wish I knew enough players to where I didn't have to use for glory for practice.

Anyway, my beef with Pikachu is simple.

He also tends to lack a precise hand to achieve victory.

I was using Ike (thank Daddy Sakurai he got buffed) and All Pika has to do is get me offstage and press B. There goes my stock, nothing I can do about it.

I guess at the end of the day, I wish that the 90% of the cast didn't have the stupid things they have that make the game feel unfair for certain characters. What I'm trying to say is, I wish balance patches really balanced everything. I think a nice change that could be made to Ike would be to give him armor during his entire up B, not just startup.

I hate to bring in the hard news, but you think Little Mac is too good because chances are, you aren't playing at a top or even high level. Little Mac is not a top-tier threat in this game by a long shot.
I really don't even think Mac is good. He's terrible. But that should be reflected when I'm fighting him. His crippling weaknesses aren't made apparent enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miles_himself

Smash Rookie
NNID
Senpai
You all seem to know what you're talking about. If you don't mind, add me for Wii U and I'd like to play some of you. I'm going for a jog to clear my head first, but when I return, I wanna see if my practice actually amounts to what is considered, "high level play."

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
it may be just me but i feel like rob and dedede are underrated everytime i play a good one of either of them i have a terribly hard time getting the ko if not just damage and more time than not i come out with a loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom