• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
cough cough :4samus: cough cough
question? What is samus's desing in this game? If its defensive turteling until she can get herself a charge shot then why is that her keep away tools aren't that good or her rolls are really poor or she can't confirm into a chargeshot?
She can confirm into charge shot. Samus has some good combos and a pretty good back air. I'd say she's a mid range combo character.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You guys understimate how clumsy Zelda feels in this game.
And no, raw power on Farore's Wind is not really a saving grace.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You guys understimate how clumsy Zelda feels in this game.
And no, raw power on Farore's Wind is not really a saving grace.
I was going to say the awesomeness that is her D-tilt a nice lingering hitbox that sets up for Aerial Kills and can even edgeguard!

yeah um BAN•ZELDA
(I finally get an excuse to quote this post in this thread)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's so easy to juggle Bowser Jr. Apparently, he makes this weird obvious sound effect when he air dodges. It's easier to react to sound than visual.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh geez, I came late to this one. Iwata was such a brilliant mind and did so much. If it weren't for him, would smash have even existed (Sakurai showed his first prototype of smash to Iwata after all) in the same way it does today? All the games he's worked on, would they have existed? Some of my absolute favourite games (including Earthbound) were worked on by this guy. It gives me chills to imagine that he's actually gone.

RIP Iwata, you inspired our generation.

EDIT: Smoothie, where do you think Samus lies? I totally realise that she's floaty and heavier and stuff, but her camping just isn't as effective as it should be and her jab not linking properly is such a big hit. I think Zair is great for her, though.

And I feel like AD cancelling into Nair on Jr is as good an option as any.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
eh so has anyone noticed how quickly Swordfighter's jab one's endlag is?
You can cover a whiffed Jab 1 with a down tilt really quickly or even a dash grab if you think they might shield a jab 2/3.
Uhuh, against sword fighter's quicker attacks you have to be on point to punish, this is sweet. If I feel like my opponent is probably slightly flustered and might react a few frames slower than he or she could, or simply doesn't know how fast swordfighter can be I'll just throw out another attack, usually that works. People tend to not get that they really have to be quick with their inputs against swordfighters faster attacks, and that they can't punish with attacks that have startup :O So long as swordfighter is at or below 25% H/W SF is high tier : - ))

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I was going to say the awesomeness that is her D-tilt a nice lingering hitbox that sets up for Aerial Kills and can even edgeguard!

(I finally get an excuse to quote this post in this thread)
Not to cherrypick, but Falcon's recovery is not exactly difficult to abuse

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Uhuh, against sword fighter's quicker attacks you have to be on point to punish, this is sweet. If I feel like my opponent is probably slightly flustered and might react a few frames slower than he or she could, or simply doesn't know how fast swordfighter can be I'll just throw out another attack, usually that works. People tend to not get that they really have to be quick with their inputs against swordfighters faster attacks, and that they can't punish with attacks that have startup :O So long as swordfighter is at or below 25% H/W SF is high tier : - ))
just to be clear Swordfighter's attacks are fast on endlag not on start up though they are pretty fast for the disjointed range they cover honestly when i play Swordfighter in tend to milk my advantage as much as i can maybe i should have a limit and put up a wall of jabs/d-tilts

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
just to be clear Swordfighter's attacks are fast on endlag not on start up though they are pretty fast for the disjointed range they cover honestly when i play Swordfighter in tend to milk my advantage as much as i can maybe i should have a limit and put up a wall of jabs/d-tilts
Startup isn't nearly as big a deal as endlag, you can compensate for startup by simply throwing attacks out a few frames earlier in many situations, sucks to have startup make something not a viable punish option of course.

But swordfighters quicker attacks aren't that slow even on startup when you run a small sized one. IMO you can be semi-liberal with f-tilts too, no need to stick to just d-tilts and jabs. Combination of dmg and range means the frame data on f-tilt is good enough for it to be safe more often than you'd think.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Then you have projectiles like Zelda, Falco, Triple D, and 1111 Mii Brawler. They're highly situational, predictable, or don't really act like projectiles in Triple D and Mii Brawler's case where Gordos and Shot Put seem more like trapping tools like Diddy's Banana Peels instead of Diddy's Peanut Popgun which is good since it would make them bad projectiles, but good trapping tools. In Zelda's case it's like high risk/random reward. I'm dead serious when I say that since one, Phantom Slash would be great if it actually functioned properly. It get's summoned at frame 1, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a hitbox until later not to mention it has deadzones. Even in FFA or 2v2, Phantom Slash could whiff, be reflected easily, or just run through - you can actually run past it. Being able to store a Phantom Slash like what some people want wouldn't fix the fact it doesn't function properly. It's amazing how the developers were able to make a projectile even worse than Din's Fire. Speaking of which, Din's Fire is slow and telegraphed. It was never a good move and the fact that Zelda enters helpless mode despite it serving no use for recovery since it doesn't even come out as fast as Burst Grenade and Zelda's recovery is worse than Sheik's, Din's Fire is pretty bad and almost like a move that is there to hurt Zelda rather than helping her. Unfortunately, it's the only projectile with a reliable reward for Zelda unless you count Uair and Nayru's Love as short-ranged projectiles and Farore's Wind as a long-ranged self-projectile.
Would Dins Fire really not help her recovery if she didn't get into freefall? While charging she kinda slows down her vertical speed while still being able to move forward. She could probably glide back when hit at higher %s since she'll come from about a upper corner. And now you're also putting out a hitbox to cover your recovery (not that she'd need that).

Also, since you mentioned FFA and 2vs2 only for Phantom Slash... a Zelda just keeping her distance behind her partner and spamming Dins Fire is atrocious. I don't even want to imagine how annoying it would be if it had less lag. Though I guess she should be able to release it sooner again. It's really weird how long you have to wait before being able to do that.

I wish. Arcfire still lags, durability exists, and grab is useless.
Whaat. Do you know the grabrange? A decent to good grabrange in this game always seems a little broken to me. You can shieldgrab landings/landing aerials more easily, you can punish any close range grounded hit more easily... you can walk up and grab. And having a fast dash/run speed or "boost grab" is a little broken as we all should know. You can't stand still against Falcon if he's in zoning range or just out of it. He also slides so far to put you into a worse position once he get's a dash grab. Or he goes so far that you might not even be able to punish him. Play as Sonic for a little bit and see how it feels against characters like Mario and slower. You can move around in zoning range and don't have to be afraid or anything unless maybe you're at the edge of a stage, since you can move in and (especially) out so fast and without fear.

Now play against characters like CF or Sheik. You can't safely get out of there by just running away or staying a little away from them. Oftentimes it feels like you're getting cought by Falcon even though Sonic should be running faster. But his dashgrab is so insane that he still gets you. You could always be grabbed or dashattacked suddenly. And in Sheiks case she even has needles if you ever try to use a spindash. Just the presence of fast running plus good grabrange is making the opponent having to fear it and always do something to not be suddenly attacked by that. Even jumping is often too slow since you might not be high enough fast enough to avoid dashgrabs/attacks.

Robin has good grabrange, though the slowness would hold her back a little, but with good runspeed it would easily be a great tool.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Isn't B-throw a kill throw tho?

BTW, how are :4mario:/:4luigi:/:4drmario: vs :4zelda:?
A pain, but not horrible.
:4mario:: the worst, maybe 65-45. But his trouble killing and his predictible recovery make that the match can flip really fast.
:4drmario:: not really hard in comparison. His usmash is less dangerous, and he can't juggle zelda easily. Even MU.
:4luigi::racks ton of damage and kill with ease. But his low traction make most of Zelda move safe. Again, Zelda edgeguard and raw kill power can make the MU hard to define. If Zelda get the first stock she wins. In luigi favor though, but only because i like luigi.

Basically Zelda sucks because she's hard counter by:4diddy:(maybe not after the nerf):4fox::4zss::4yoshi::4littlemac:, loses to:4pikachu::4mario::4megaman::4metaknight::4sonic::4tlink: :4ness:and could lose to :4luigi::4sheik::rosalina::4wario2::4ryu:, as i think it's even at best.
Hey, but most of them are high tier.
Sad...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think there's a somewhat realistic chance that Samus isn't bottom 5, even in customless. There's a couple of matchups she probably does well enough in to stay above the absolute bottom of the cast. She more or less has the same holes in her character design than she had in Brawl where she actually went even with Peach or ROB. It's not unreasonable to assume that these matchups play out largely the same way in smash 4. She probably doesn't lose to Bowser, DK, Charizard and DDD. Characters like Bowser Jr., Doc, Falco, Kirby, Lucina, G&W, Palutena, Robin, Roy, WFT and Zelda fall into the "manageable for just about everybody" category. Ike, Link, Luigi, Mega Man, Toon Link and -possibly- ZSS are matchups that even if Samus loses them she'd still do well enough in them to actually compete. And by compete I mean that you win by outplaying the Samus player not just by plain abusing her badness. So I see a chance that her matchup spread could be "good" enough to put her above a character that seems to be more solid than her such as DDD or Lucina.

:059:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
A pain, but not horrible.
:4mario:: the worst, maybe 65-45. But his trouble killing and his predictible recovery make that the match can flip really fast.
:4drmario:: not really hard in comparison. His usmash is less dangerous, and he can't juggle zelda easily. Even MU.
:4luigi::racks ton of damage and kill with ease. But his low traction make most of Zelda move safe. Again, Zelda edgeguard and raw kill power can make the MU hard to define. If Zelda get the first stock she wins. In luigi favor though, but only because i like luigi.

Basically Zelda sucks because she's hard counter by:4diddy:(maybe not after the nerf):4fox::4zss::4yoshi::4littlemac:, loses to:4pikachu::4mario::4megaman::4metaknight::4sonic::4tlink: :4ness:and could lose to :4luigi::4sheik::rosalina::4wario2::4ryu:, as i think it's even at best.
Hey, but most of them are high tier.
Sad...
Pretty sure Zelda loses all of those matches with the exception of Luigi. I'm almost positive Zelda's the worst character in the game.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Pretty sure Zelda loses all of those matches with the exception of Luigi. I'm almost positive Zelda's the worst character in the game.
Pretty sure Dr Mario is easier than Luigi, mostly because he has no recovery.
But yeah my point was that Zelda is kinda irrelevant in the competitive metagame, because most of her worst MU are high tier/ used in competition, and because her absurd learning curve make her the worst secondary to handle the MU that can't even be said to be in her favor.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
While Zelda is pretty impressive for a "worst character"... yeah, she is the worst character, and one of the only characters who I consider truly irrelevant to viability and matchup spread.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
The worst thing is, if we put together the buff and the nerfs she receive she's worse than 1.0.0 Zelda.
But i'm confident 1.1.0 Zelda will be mid tier. The character doesn't need a lot, as most of her moves are close to perfect on a design perspective. But some are just failed: ftilt, dtilt, grab, nair, uair, phantom slash are easy to buff without making zelda OP in any mode. And could compensate a UpB nerf which is completely broken right now.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
While Zelda is pretty impressive for a "worst character"... yeah, she is the worst character, and one of the only characters who I consider truly irrelevant to viability and matchup spread.
This got me thinking about new (?) ways to define tiers beyond a simple "goodness" ranking.

Top tier: The meta-defining characters.
High tier: Good but not meta-defining.
Mid tier: The middle ground, flawed-but-not-bad, pick your descriptor.
Low tier: Bad, but one or two good matchups that keep them relevant.
Bottom tier: Irrelevant to the current meta.

Doing this on mobile and about to leave for work, so it's sparse on detail. But still, thoughts?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
The worst thing is, if we put together the buff and the nerfs she receive she's worse than 1.0.0 Zelda.
But i'm confident 1.1.0 Zelda will be mid tier. The character doesn't need a lot, as most of her moves are close to perfect on a design perspective. But some are just failed: ftilt, dtilt, grab, nair, uair, phantom slash are easy to buff without making zelda OP in any mode. And could compensate a UpB nerf which is completely broken right now.
Zelda got nerfs?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think it's been said before, but I feel like the attitude of many Zelda mains to her probably has contributed to this idea, and that we could be convinced otherwise if people were really passionate (Nairo used to do well with her at the very least). But on the other hand, what are you going to do? There has to be a worst character in the game somewhere. :/

Scream

Smash Apprentice
So Ness has a massive slew of even-ish MUs. We've been really indecisive about our worst MU, but it's looking like it's Rosa atm, who is probably our worst -1. With that in mind, this is how it would roughly look in a customs off meta (as much as I enjoy customs on, this probably looks a bit cleaner):

+2: :4samus:
Elaboration required.

Neither @ Afro Smash Afro Smash nor myself have ever lost to a ness in tournament.
Missile are actually a great asset in the MU and combined with Zair how does Ness even approach?
Edgeguarding is more than free, for we have tons of options there.
Both Pk fire and Pk thunder get Charge shotted on reaction onstage.

So ness can neither approach nor recover.

I'd very much like to hear your reasoning for the +2 tho :)

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
And the roll canceled pivot grab, an early mecanic which was really good with zelda, has been removed.
The phantom stay longer too, so is much more susceptible to be destroyed, and can't be used as frequently.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah Ness gets majority of his damage and kills from throws, but we can keep him out with missiles and Zair, Charge Shot/Bombs make edgegaurding pretty easy, he cant do fadeback Nair/Fair/Bair because of our tether grab, or land on top of us with Uair because Up B OoS, and PK Fire from my experience is fairly easy to DI then jump out of. And our Uair will cancel out his PK Thunder for when he's edgeguarding us (lingering multi hit so easy to time).

His size and having 2 ways to beat the Charge Shot are pretty annoying, but his lack of approach options puts the MU in our favour (I'm currently 7-0 Vs Ness in Tournament)

Gameplay for reference

Note at the time I wasn't aware Upair beat PKT, and whilst neither of us are masters of our characters, it still sums up the MU pretty well imo

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
What Ness mains have you two been versing? o_O

That said I wasn't thinking about that one, Samus is probably actually a +1 (Zair is indeed very good). It's one of those MUs I put as +1 because our high/top level players have never had trouble with the MU ever. I'll ask the Ness boards about it and get back to you though. :)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Or we could leave Luigi alone and work on the other underwhelming characters.
Agreed. You still have :4drmario::4jigglypuff::4palutena::4robinm::4samus::4wiifit::4zelda: who have major weaknesses and :4bowser: :4bowserjr::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4gaw::4littlemac::4metaknight::4mewtwo: who could arguably become viable or at least on a good path to become that overtime (like :4charizard::4falco::4myfriends::4link::4lucina::4marth: with the last major update) with a few tweaks. The first seven have issues with their basic design while the next nine it's just a matter of changing attack properties. For example, I think :4ganondorf: would be much more of a threat if his attacks were given more pressure on shields and :4metaknight: should have more range.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Luigi is in a good place. He's strong, but has significant weaknesses that keep him from being unstoppable. Plus, I feel like the solo-Luigi hype has died down a bit. He's not as prominent at tournaments as he was even a month or 2 ago. I think people are figuring him out a bit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
... Seriously?

I mean

Seriously?

Does Sakurai need to make MK into Brawl MK again to make people realize he's not bad? lol.
I didn't say he was bad. I just think he needs a little bit more of a push to remove most people's doubts about his viability. I'm well aware that he's a character that's come a long way but, unlike Kirby, he's someone that people still largely doubt despite the improvements.

Add in: Plus, there's a lot that would have to be changed to get him back to his Brawl self. For Metaknight to be the monster he was in Brawl, you'd have to give him back his absurd priority, recovery options, shield poking, and, of course, the Funnel O' Fun™. I don't think giving him back some of his range would return him to "Where is Your God Now" mode.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I didn't say he was bad. I just think he needs a little bit more of a push to remove most people's doubts about his viability. I'm well aware that he's a character that's come a long way but, like Kirby, he's someone that people still largely doubt despite the improvements.
People's doubts shouldn't have anything to do with whether a character is good or bad. If some people appeared saying that they have doubts Luigi is a viable character in spite of everything, that doesn't mean the character needs buffs just to dispel those doubts.

Meta Knight is a very solid character, hell, in my personal tier list I have him at bottom of high tier right now, people who still have doubts about him being viable are either still making a big deal of his nerfs from Brawl or they just don't know anything about him since MK gets so little exposure.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
And the roll canceled pivot grab, an early mecanic which was really good with zelda, has been removed.
The phantom stay longer too, so is much more susceptible to be destroyed, and can't be used as frequently.
I'm pretty sure it's still in I do it all the time with Robin to help with his booty grab range.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm honestly skeptical as to this notion that Robin's "bottom tier".

Maybe it's because I've been utterly spoiled by the likes of Raziek and Nairo, but I think Robin has potential, just that few players can will themselves to navigate their steep learning curve.

Now I don't deny that Robin has enormous and intrinsic flaws (slowest movement speed in the game, dismal grab, durability is more of a hindrance than a boon, lacks CQC options), but I feel like a good player can, if not mitigate them, then at least overcome them. Robin has great zoning capabilities, good stage control, a powerful airgame with decent range and a very diverse toolkit - in theory, they should be serviceable in a competitive context.

My own opinion on the matter is that, more so than these flaws, Robin's main weakness is that they crumble against high-tiers. That's a weakness that unfortunately can't really be mitigated no matter the skill level (recall that Nairo regards the Robin / Sheik matchup as near-unwinnable for Robin), and why I will ultimately agree that Robin's potential is fundamentally crippled at a certain point.

I don't think Robin's a terrible character, and I would be extremely reluctant to put them in the bottom five or even ten. I will acknowledge, though, that they need significant buffs or an outright overhaul of their unique mechanic if they're going to get anywhere beyond "decent" viability.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
If Robin didn't have durability on spells and Levin he'd be decent.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I didn't say he was bad. I just think he needs a little bit more of a push to remove most people's doubts about his viability. I'm well aware that he's a character that's come a long way but, like Kirby, he's someone that people still largely doubt despite the improvements.
The issue with Meta Knight is that there is only one really good player, Ito, and some other good players like Katakiri. So, Ito, Katakiri, Tyrant, and Unknown are the players I know and no, they're not big names like Mew2King, Larry Lurr, Trela, or ZeRo. Now, if say, Dabuz had Meta Knight as a secondary and used him at a level slightly below Ito which would be insane as his Rosalina is already at a level above good Rosalina players, then Meta Knight might have some believers from the public.

ESAM is the Pikachu player people look for and know 'cause he's ESAM. Mook? Who the hell cares about Mook? He doesn't have history like ESAM. That destroys any credibility a player has just because they're new, a "nobody", or "unpopular". I mean, you can be an *** like Leffen (was), but if you've got the skills, then people should respect that.

We look to big names which is natural, but that undermines the other players. Snow, shofu, Feel Tension, Rice, Villain, Yui, Larry Lurr, Nakat, Megafox, and more are all good players and good Fox players, but it's common to see only a few of them mentioned. Each of them have their own merits, own quirks that make their Fox unique and good, and each skills that should be respected. Let's say in an alternate world where Fox only had Megafox as a player. Would Fox be good? Yes, but would people see it? Probably not. Fox would be in the same situation as Meta Knight.

It doesn't help people want to play Brawl Meta Knight who was broken, during Brawl wanted him banned or nerfed, and now refuse to acknowledge him because he's been "nerfed" in Smash 4. That's really hypocritical. A good character is bad because he's not broken. Doesn't make sense and Marth and Falco are among that same mindset.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If Robin didn't have durability on spells and Levin he'd be decent.
I'm theorycrafting here, but has it ever been verified that the durability mechanic exists to balance Robin's tools for being "too strong (to Sakurai's mind)"?

That's how I've always interpreted it, at least. I don't think they're nearly strong enough to warrant finite uses, at least not the tomes, but it seems like something Sakurai would consider.

I still struggle to conceive of why they're the slowest character in the roster. I get that it's "accurate representation" with the slow, unathletic mage thing, but it feels like they're crippled by design due to it.

Then again, I feel the same way about Wii Fit and Palutena...~

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You don't get to be a big name without getting results. Larry Lurr is the best Fox not just because he's (probably) actually the best Fox, but because he wins basically everything in a highly-competitive region and places super high in bigger nationals like CEO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People's doubts shouldn't have anything to do with whether a character is good or bad. If some people appeared saying that they have doubts Luigi is a viable character in spite of everything, that doesn't mean the character needs buffs just to dispel those doubts.

Meta Knight is a very solid character, hell, in my personal tier list I have him at bottom of high tier right now, people who still have doubts about him being viable are either still making a big deal of his nerfs from Brawl or they just don't know anything about him since MK gets so little exposure.
Except it does matter because if a character is perceived as good, more people are likely to pick them up and more likely to help develop their meta game. I don't think Metaknight is over that hump yet. Hell, it took people nearly two years to figure out :popo::olimar::wario: were really good in Brawl and this situation is more or less the same. :4metaknight: might have the tools now but it's definitely a hard sell. He very well could be viable but, like the three I mentioned before, he strikes me as someone who won't be able to widely prove this unless 1. a long period of time passes or 2. minor changes are made that make it more apparent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom