• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
And to follow-up: I think it would be a really, really good idea to piece together multiple tier lists under specific strategies themselves. (ie. One tier list for characters that excel at zoning, one for characters that excel at spacing, one of characters that excel at rush-down, etc.)

This would have two strong effects: (1) Allowing players to figure out what they're good at and who they can branch out to play with (which would let players progressively snake their ways through the character list in interesting ways, based on related playstyles), and (2) Allow competitive discussion to identify what makes characters tick on a fundamental level.

On (2): I feel like characters assumed as low-tier, such as Zelda, theoretically place at a middle-ground when it comes to several of these strategies, and that's both what holds Zelda back as well as what players of the character could utilize to unlock potential of the character. If Zelda's "okay" at "a little bit of everything", could she be exceptional if played by a player who's good at "a little bit of everything"? Food for thought. Or I'm crazy.

Last edited:

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
As a lot of others stayed their thinking behind choosing main, I chose mario after going through a few other characters because I always strive to have no weaknesses over overbearing strength. So Mario's all around nature appealed to me a lot. In so happy I ditched samus who was my first main and my main in 64, I love the character but I hated feeling like I had less options and I enjoy the game more that I feel like I can express my gameplay more with mario then falco, samus, Ike, and other low tiers I started playing the game with.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I love how Pac-Man forces you to think outside the box. You can handle anything as long as you utilize your tools in unconventional, silly ways.

Coming up with schemes on the fly to mess with other character's nuetral games, while simultaneously confusing the opponent by playing tricks on their character (and their mind)

is just too much fun :chuckle:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I tend to play the characters which tend to be "annoying" type, that mess around with you because of them being capable of doing some weird/annoying stuff that can mess around with them, I like feeling that I control the pace of the fight even if my opponent tries to do some plays.

The other side of me likes also having powerhouses to have the comeback factor that feels so hype (and at the same type, annoys the ***t out of an opponent)

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I don't think it has to be an impossible mu but a lot of characters lose pretty hard to Rosalina. If there's a strong Rosalina in your region there's really no reason to main whoever you're maining. You don't really have a CP stage vs her either. I use Rosalina as an example because I don't know anyone mu's as well as hers.

But low tiers generally aren't worth using. I can't thinj of a low tier who has an even MU vs a character considered top tier. Maybe Luigi vs Samus. After that I'm not really sure.

I won't take the bait on the trump stuff.

@TriTails Fair spacing is key in the mu you have to space this move well it's ridiculously hard for Rosalina to do anything about this move. Pressure with well spaced fair. Rosalina is pretty much at Sheik's disposal when recovering. Vanish punishes the recovery as do any aerial. Because of Rosalina's weight you kill early your fair can kill dthrow uair is a problem as is bouncing fish. Usmash punish will tipper vs standing rosalina. You have the mobility and the frame data on your side.

I suggest you watch master raven vs Xaltis vinnie vs dabuz ECT or ceo. Ed vs Xaltis and dabuz vs false. I think you will see the contrast in approach between the different sheiks and I think vinnie vs dabuz at ECT shows exactly why sheik does bad. I don't think ed and false play the MU as well as master raven and vinnie.
There's a strong Rosalina in my region (Rayquasa). And yet, I use DK because I want to. Not because of matchups. It's because I enjoy playing the character and I like his playstyle. As a result, I lab hard with him, enjoy the game, and get some results. So I'd say everyone is worth using when the meta game is so young and hardly anyone is fully explored yet.
For now, I'll just say this. Even though I disagree with your opinion, I respect it. Let's agree to disagree.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
So it seems everyone's discussing why they chose their main's in smash and their play style choice so I might as well add to this.

I'm the type of guy who love's a character who's really fast and can easily get in the opponents face with great approaches and has answers for zoners. I'm a man who find's zoning boring and dull since your always staying back with either projectiles or disjointed hitboxe's. In other fighitng game's I main characters such as Ken(Third Strike), Johnny Cage(MK9), and Filia(Skull girls) since they all fit my exact play style, and the character's that fits these criteria in smash imo is :4fox:

:4fox: is the perfect rushdown character imo he's got the perfect speed, amazing approach options, he can rack up damage really quick, and has more kill setups then most of the cast.

While some people think :4falcon:and :4sheik: do a better job then :4fox:. I personally think none of them are rushdown character's. :4falcon:is too fast to be a rushdowner and doesn't have the best approach while :4sheik: is a character who has so much tool's to even be considered a rushdowner.

While :4fox:has zoning tools like his laser's I often don't use them even when they were lag less on short hop. I just get in, nair plane, and start the combo's.

Also Jab Cancels because who doesn't love punching annoying :4ness: mains to death am I right

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
So it seems everyone's discussing why they chose their main's in smash and their play style choice so I might as well add to this.

I'm the type of guy who love's a character who's really fast and can easily get in the opponents face with great approaches and has answers for zoners. I'm a man who find's zoning boring and dull since your always staying back with either projectiles or disjointed hitboxe's. In other fighitng game's I main characters such as Ken(Third Strike), Johnny Cage(MK9), and Filia(Skull girls) since they all fit my exact play style, and the character's that fits these criteria in smash imo is :4fox:

:4fox: is the perfect rushdown character imo he's got the perfect speed, amazing approach options, he can rack up damage really quick, and has more kill setups then most of the cast.

While some people think :4falcon:and :4sheik: do a better job then :4fox:. I personally think none of them are rushdown character's. :4falcon:is too fast to be a rushdowner and doesn't have the best approach while :4sheik: is a character who has so much tool's to even be considered a rushdowner.

While :4fox:has zoning tools like his laser's I often don't use them even when they were lag less on short hop. I just get in, nair plane, and start the combo's.

Also Jab Cancels because who doesn't love punching annoying :4ness: mains to death am I right
also, this. spacing outside each other's range has got to be the most interesting and complex thing in any fighting game ever created

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I play Ike because a) I love Fire Emblem (pre-Shadow Dragon games that is.) and b) I have an auto-immune disorder. One of the (many) side effects is minor inflammation in my joints, particularly my fingers AKA arthritis. Playing a character like Sheik is murder on my fingers. I just can't do it at a high level for more than a few games, they will literally seize up if I were to try for a full tournament. Heck, it happened a few times back in Brawl when I was using Ike there as well. I need a slower character that's more thinking/range/short combos rather than "rush down long combo strings and a million movement options". So to me, while something like Omni's latest video is interesting, that ain't happening for me.

This is also while Melee is basically impossible for me to even attempt competitively. Good thing I don't really like its weighty feel in general anyways. Only good character I found I could kinda play was Jigglypuff because she didn't wavedash much. Not that I couldn't wavedash, it just burned out my fingers too quickly.

I was like that when I played MvC3 casually as well. Always used Hulk, often Sentinel and Super Skrull as well. Never tried Dante, Zero or the like. Just not worth it to me.

So I'm stuck with slower characters, which is usually a death sentence in fighting games. But hey, I got my one tournament win in SSB4 with Ike back in winter. I'm happy.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I just like ninjas, and given how I've played Sheik in the past, Greninja just fit for me. Roy and Doc are mostly out of nostalgia.

Greninja's playstyle is just the right fit for me, with Water Shuriken giving a good projectile, and interesting movement options with SS, HP, etc.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
@ Thinkaman Thinkaman happy bday man I've always enjoyed your postings. About choosing a main I'm curious what your thoughts are (as well as other peoples).

Are you looking for your strongest character? Whose style you enjoy the most? who's the most fun?
As a player, my skill affinities go:

Reading > Spacing > Timing > Execution

I'm probably in the top percentile of players in terms of patience, but prefer to force engagements on my terms; in STL, I had the lowest average match length of any player by a significant margin.

:4ness: I probably play the most, especially against people who are big and/or floaty. I like having inane rewards for reading a shield.
:4ganondorf: I just said I'm good at reads.
:4littlemac: I see Mac as the ying to Ganon's yang. I play a very read-heavy Mac, with lots of up-b.
:4palutena: I enjoy Palutena a lot, and think Super Speed is the funnest thing in the game. I like a lot of her gimmicks and think she has some of the more enjoyable mixups in the cast.
:4wiifit: I play a really aggressive WFT. The gameplan is simply, do constant Weighted Headers to force an action, and read/punish that action.
:4charizard: Charizard is like a bizarre combination of Ness, Ganon, and Mac. He is Grabs: The Game, with really punishing read tools and a high run-speed. Fun character.
:4jigglypuff: I sort of still have all that Brawl experience, but she's so different it's hard.
:4lucas: I like the new Lucas and think I'd do well with his high-reward grabs. I'd need to play him so much though, to even consider him.
:4sheik: I play a decent Sheik; she feels natural enough to me and I have an easy time getting bouncing fish reads.
:4falcon: I will Falcon ditto money match anyone.
:4mewtwo: Mewtwo plays a lot like Ganon to me, and I like that.
:4duckhunt: I wish I was good at DHD. I'm way better with him than any non-main I know, but I struggle with a lot of key basics and only win favorable matchups.
:4megaman: I played a lot of Mega Man early on (he was a good fit for my patience), but my use of him since then has atrophied. I'd have to make a conscious choice to revisit him.

I feel like I don't have to necessarily pick a single main, or even a main + secondaries; just reduce the set down to an efficient group with clear but maximal coverage of various opponents and stages.

For example, I love Ganon on Battlefield and dislike him on FD. Mac is the opposite. Neither character likes Halberd, but Ness and Palutena sure as hell do. Dreamland is bad for Mac and Palutena, and less than optimal for Ganon, but I'm 99% sure it's Charizard's best stage.

FD:
:4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4ness:

Smashville: (my usual ban)
:4palutena::4wiifit::4ness::4duckhunt:

Town & City:
:4littlemac::4ness::4charizard::4palutena:

Battlefield:
:4ganondorf::4charizard::4ness:

Dream Land:
:4charizard::4ness::4ganondorf:

Lylat Cruise:
:4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4littlemac:

Delfino/Wuhu/Skyloft:

Halberd:
:4ness::4charizard::4palutena:

Castle Siege:
:4littlemac::4ness::4charizard:

Dunk Hunt:
:4charizard::4ness::4palutena:

Focusing on :4ness::4littlemac::4charizard::4ganondorf:, in that order, seems like a plausible set. The next step is coming up with a coherent gameplan of exactly which matchups I prefer each in, so as to practice with some efficiency.

For example, I would always play :4ness: against :4rob: and :4metaknight:, and I would always play :4littlemac: against :4charizard: and :4robinm:. Those are some easy ones, but there are a lot of characters and playstyles out there to consider. The most flexible characters, like :4sheik: and :4diddy:, are more tricky to consider.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Ninja. Frog.

I was sold from his trailer
I kinda wish I had recorded my reaction to Greninja's trailer because I was in the crowd that got fooled into thinking he was Mewtwo. I was like "eh, Charizard and Mewtwo are in, whatever" but then I saw the Water Shuriken and

Still one of the best reveals I've experienced because I never thought Greninja had a chance of being in Smash despite being my favorite starter.

I was team Froakie since the day X/Y got announced and it sure paid off =V

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I played baseball for 10 years. It's ingrained in my brain that if you're using a weapon like a bat that its an extension of my body. I've spent so many hours with a bat in my hand it's no wonder why I prefer Sword fighters. Especially ones with sweet sour spots.

Marth feels right to me. Perfect when I play him correctly. He has the ability to control the tempo of the match and demand respect through defense.

Roy, Peach, Kirby, Fox, and Pit(oo) fill my need for unrelenting with offence when I get to capitalise on situations.

Baseball taught me to hold them back with offence until they make a mistake then destroy them with hit after hit.

Happy birthday @ Thinkaman Thinkaman your posts are always a joy.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
:4pacman: because
1) He is underrated
2) The control factors he can exert on the match are ridiculous. It still surprises that he's as unpopular as he is right now. Pac-Man can flat out ignore half of the stuff I see complained about the most in this game.

If only he could KO reliably.

And :4mario: for when I don't feel like playing :4pacman: or bad MUs and teams.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I use top-tier characters who let me win.

....what? Why are you all looking at me like that?

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I tend to play the characters which tend to be "annoying" type, that mess around with you because of them being capable of doing some weird/annoying stuff that can mess around with them, I like feeling that I control the pace of the fight even if my opponent tries to do some plays.
I'm trying to figure out how to categorize this, since it does seem like its own style of play. Would this fall under zoning, or is it its own thing? Is there a good term for it in competitive play (wherein you exclusively **** with your opponent until they goof, but not in a sense of limiting their actions)? (Edit: If there isn't, I wanna go with 'Rubbing'. aka 'Rubbing salt into the wound')

On an aside, I'm planning on a topic for organizing these strategies into categories that characters could be associated with in a hierarchy. General discussion of who's the best zoning character, who's the best spacing character, etc. and/or voting. Maybe a reddit poll, although I wonder if the concept of strategy over characters would make their heads explode...

EDIT:

The question isn't who you play or why, it's how you play them and why you play them that way. And to wonder who you could branch out to with the same strategies.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
:rosalina:
My favourite character in the Mario series, and I find her to be an enjoyable character to play. There is always that satisfying feeling getting a Luma setup to work at a crucial moment.
:4falco:
Like Rosa, a fun character to play, and has been a secondary of mine in every smash game he's in. I've tried out other characters a secondaries but Falco is the only one that clicks with me.

Convert to the Space Elsa Foundation.
:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Reasons for maining certain characters eh?

:4peach:
  • Great balance of versatility and adaptability thanks to a pretty good neutral game and veggies
  • I enjoy a character with a good aerial game and she's great at weaving into them
  • Generally the sense of untapped potential
  • Still best Nintendo gal

:4sonic:
  • Love characters that excel at being fast
  • The idea of Sonic as a heel in terms of character perception is inherently funny to me
  • Mindgames!
  • Childhood attachment
:4luigi:
  • I have a soft spot for second bananas
  • Luigi is just better than Mario
  • Yep
  • Wait he's actually a top contender with good combo ability and neutral game? Score
:4sheik:
  • Against my somewhat better judgment I heavily do enjoy playing as her in spite of wanting to do more with unrepresented characters since again, fast and acrobatic characters are my jam...
:4zss:
  • ... but I still think ZSS is generally a more "balanced" version of that and makes things more interesting if I'm not just playing to win
:4ness:
  • I don't think I really need that much better of a reason than "an Earthbound character is finally good"
  • Okay

Last edited:

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
@ Thinkaman Thinkaman do you think it has hurt your progress as a smasher to have such a diverse roster?

Lately I have been playing a lot with other characters like yoshi, fox, and Ike, as well as playing with roomates and friends ( in theses matches I always go random cause I play more then they do and they are not very fond of my plumber) but then after I play I don't feel like I got any real good practice cause none of it applies to a serious match I would try to do on anthers or whatever.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I played Path of Radiance and saw that Ike could shoot **** from his sword. Hyped to find out he was in Brawl but disappointed he couldn't shoot **** from his sword but could use high level Fire magic...
Mained him anyway because I got decent with him. *shrugs*
Other characters afterwards just felt weird.

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Welp, that discussion focus shifted rather unusually between pages.
(@"How do you utilize your strategy" -> "Why do you play your character")

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I will say that the only reason I don't main Sheik in this game is because I find her moveset to be extremely boring.

If she had some of her moves from Hyrule Warriors in this game she would become my co-main with Greninja in a heartbeat.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
If she had some of her moves from Hyrule Warriors in this game she would become my co-main with Greninja in a heartbeat.
We already have a character that shifts elements via neutral special. His name is Shulk. :p

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm trying to figure out how to categorize this, since it does seem like its own style of play. Would this fall under zoning, or is it its own thing? Is there a good term for it in competitive play (wherein you exclusively **** with your opponent until they goof, but not in a sense of limiting their actions)? (Edit: If there isn't, I wanna go with 'Rubbing'. aka 'Rubbing salt into the wound')

On an aside, I'm planning on a topic for organizing these strategies into categories that characters could be associated with in a hierarchy. General discussion of who's the best zoning character, who's the best spacing character, etc. and/or voting. Maybe a reddit poll, although I wonder if the concept of strategy over characters would make their heads explode...
TV Tropes has Confusion Fu listed as a thing, basically when a character is so weird that it's hard to tell what they're doing, much less counter it.

For myself, I have an unfortunate tendency to pick the really technical characters when I first start playing any given fighter. Since my tech skill is suspect at best, this doesn't usually end well. In general I prefer characters with unusual mechanics - simply overpowering someone through sheer force bores me. I'd rather out-think them, or at least exploit some tricky feature I have and they don't. I also don't control speedster characters very well. Bonus points for being flashy and/ or magical.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Ninja. Frog.

I was sold from his trailer
I was hungry after his trailer.
About buff and nerf, do you think we will see new top tier. Do you think some character will be buff to the point they will compete with sheik or have their own tier. Do you think it's even thinkable with a game designer like sakurai.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Rosalina doesn't slightly lose to sheik it's Rosalina's worst MU. You're overrating Rosalina's strengths and understating her weaknesses. Rosalina is a strong character but she's not what you're making her out to be.

Rosalina slso struggles to kill. She doesn't have kill set ups. If you die early vs rosalina it's because she read your air dodge or gimped you. She can put people in bad situations and exploit that but it's not something that's broken. It's on the players tbh.
everyone thinks their main is bad
I know sheik mains who think she isnt even top tier for whatever reason
the problem is, you're seeing your character for their flaws alone, or so it seems
I've seen Luigi mains do the same thing
"Luigi has such poor mobility!"
doesnt matter when you can literally take neutral by pressing the b-button which on shield or on hit grants you a free combo off grab
Luigis reward is excessive for his downsides and renders his poor mobility effectively moot

Luma and Rosas disjoints really do cancel out her downsides, uair kills way too early, doesnt even require luma to use, and can chase air dodges very effectively, and luma himself is just dumb

sure she dies early but that hardly matters when she's practically immune aerial strings and juggling anyways

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I main :4ganondorf: because he just flows so well for me for some reason, also i'm not the most technical player so a character like Ganondorf feels good to me because he's rather simple in the end, one good read & you're dead :ganondorf:.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Reasons for maining a character?
I simply like mental stuff, things like reading, conditioning and coming out with the "surprise ************" move, after that I like to go frenzy with massively advantaged states.
Hence I use :rosalina: and :4ganondorf:.
For some reason I use :foxmelee: in SSF2, sems like I like to be unpredictable even when I choose a character.
sure she dies early but that hardly matters when she's practically immune aerial strings and juggling anyways
I main her yet fail to see what aspect of her is supposed to make her difficult to combo.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This is a community thread honestly lol

I have no preferred playstyle I don't think. I pick the character that I like and usually I can get used to their playstyle. I picked Wario because he's my favourite video game character but fortunately like the way he plays, but I do use Meta Knight and Diddy Kong because I love he way they play too.

I don't think I ever dropped a character that I was set on maining from day 1. Stuck with Bison in Street Fighter for the longest time (Dudley in Third Strike) and I'm set on maining him in SFV despite the drastic changes.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman

I like :4tlink: and his games hence I play :4tlink:
As a player, my skill affinities go:

Reading > Spacing > Timing > Execution

I'm probably in the top percentile of players in terms of patience, but prefer to force engagements on my terms; in STL, I had the lowest average match length of any player by a significant margin.

:4ness: I probably play the most, especially against people who are big and/or floaty. I like having inane rewards for reading a shield.
:4ganondorf: I just said I'm good at reads.
:4littlemac: I see Mac as the ying to Ganon's yang. I play a very read-heavy Mac, with lots of up-b.
:4palutena: I enjoy Palutena a lot, and think Super Speed is the funnest thing in the game. I like a lot of her gimmicks and think she has some of the more enjoyable mixups in the cast.
:4wiifit: I play a really aggressive WFT. The gameplan is simply, do constant Weighted Headers to force an action, and read/punish that action.
:4charizard: Charizard is like a bizarre combination of Ness, Ganon, and Mac. He is Grabs: The Game, with really punishing read tools and a high run-speed. Fun character.
:4jigglypuff: I sort of still have all that Brawl experience, but she's so different it's hard.
:4lucas: I like the new Lucas and think I'd do well with his high-reward grabs. I'd need to play him so much though, to even consider him.
:4sheik: I play a decent Sheik; she feels natural enough to me and I have an easy time getting bouncing fish reads.
:4falcon: I will Falcon ditto money match anyone.
:4mewtwo: Mewtwo plays a lot like Ganon to me, and I like that.
:4duckhunt: I wish I was good at DHD. I'm way better with him than any non-main I know, but I struggle with a lot of key basics and only win favorable matchups.
:4megaman: I played a lot of Mega Man early on (he was a good fit for my patience), but my use of him since then has atrophied. I'd have to make a conscious choice to revisit him.

I feel like I don't have to necessarily pick a single main, or even a main + secondaries; just reduce the set down to an efficient group with clear but maximal coverage of various opponents and stages.

For example, I love Ganon on Battlefield and dislike him on FD. Mac is the opposite. Neither character likes Halberd, but Ness and Palutena sure as hell do. Dreamland is bad for Mac and Palutena, and less than optimal for Ganon, but I'm 99% sure it's Charizard's best stage.

FD:
:4littlemac::4palutena::4wiifit::4ness:

Smashville: (my usual ban)
:4palutena::4wiifit::4ness::4duckhunt:

Town & City:
:4littlemac::4ness::4charizard::4palutena:

Battlefield:
:4ganondorf::4charizard::4ness:

Dream Land:
:4charizard::4ness::4ganondorf:

Lylat Cruise:

Delfino/Wuhu/Skyloft:

Halberd:
:4ness::4charizard::4palutena:

Castle Siege:
:4littlemac::4ness::4charizard:

Dunk Hunt:
:4charizard::4ness::4palutena:

Focusing on :4ness::4littlemac::4charizard::4ganondorf:, in that order, seems like a plausible set. The next step is coming up with a coherent gameplan of exactly which matchups I prefer each in, so as to practice with some efficiency.

For example, I would always play :4ness: against :4rob: and :4metaknight:, and I would always play :4littlemac: against :4charizard: and :4robinm:. Those are some easy ones, but there are a lot of characters and playstyles out there to consider. The most flexible characters, like :4sheik: and :4diddy:, are more tricky to consider.
how the hell do you play 13 characters and expect to actually be good at any of them
you're spreading yourself thin over an arbitrarily large cast of mains

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
how the hell do you play 13 characters and expect to actually be good at any of them
you're spreading yourself thin over an arbitrarily large cast of mains
Because you don't necessarily need extreme character knowledge to win. There are certain concepts of smash that apply to every character. It certainly helps a lot to know the character that you're using well, but if you've good at the fundamental concepts of smash, which character you pick is less important. It helps a lot to know a character well, and it's easier if you don't use very many, but it's not impossible to know a wide variety well.

Far too many people focus on a single character and don't properly understand these fundamental concepts well enough, only a single character. It's not the same thing, not at all.

Besides, he didn't say he was good at them.

Edit: To put this in a shorter format, play smash, not a character.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I main Rosalina because she's good, to be real about it (she's also really fun and significantly rewards my patient playstyle). I do think the only two characters she actually hard counters are Duck Hunt and Pac-Man beyond perhaps some severe tier mis-match situations (like maybe she hard counters Zelda, but that's entirely about how bad Zelda is if she does and isn't a Rosa specific dynamic). If you think your favorite heavyweight is hard countered by Rosa (people always think the heavies lose everything), you either main King Dedede (who falls under "severe tier mismatch"; DDD is really bad) or are missing a lot of what you can do here. Generally speaking, heavies can one shot Luma from ordinary stage positions, and heavies as a character class generally have the range/priority to compete with Rosa's moves. Charizard and Bowser breathing fire really messes up slower Rosa play, and if Rosa tries to speed it up, they have great hitboxes to put in her way and can generally compete in this footsies war if you're good with them especially since both have great burst movement options on side special (that plus smart blocking also is how you overcome Rosa camping with Shooting Star Bit). DK can't breath fire but he can slap the ground with it, and that plus Kong Cyclone do so much to dissuade her from jumping that it helps make up a lot for the fact that his ground game isn't as good as what Bowser or Charizard have. Use the custom special stuff to keep Rosa's feet planted and then use well spaced and timed bairs to pick on her; that's my suggestion for how to win here as DK. Ike and Shulk outspace Rosa with their absurdly long swords, and anyone who would seriously main either of them I can only presume is extremely comfortable utilizing the full range of those swords (it's by far the best thing about both characters). Those MUs come down to a lot of skill testing in that if the Rosa is the better player she'll make them look really free by winning the spacing battle, but if the Ike/Shulk are the better players they can make Rosa look really free too by just boxing her out completely. Ganon doesn't have anything in particular that's good other than a severe power mismatch, but that's most Ganon MUs and his power is not wasted against Rosa who dies very early and who loses Luma off almost any mistake here.

I actually have both Shulk and Charizard as secondaries. I mostly like Shulk for gimmicks to be real (a lot of players just make awful decisions against him) and as insurance against the Rosa ditto which I'm really bad at, and I see Charizard as a character who is extremely rewarding for strong fundamentals so I really believe in his long term potential. I'd be scared to go too all in on one character since you never know what patches will do so Charizard is kinda my plan B, and I really enjoy his playstyle quite a bit since I can just kinda take it slow and easy, hit the right buttons at the right times, and earn my wins. I feel like I still have a lot of need to grow as Charizard especially among my three characters, but hey, the game is still young and all.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I use Wario, Jigglypuff, and Greninja because I'm a great big coward. I like feeling about as safe in the air as I do on the ground.

I use Wario, Jigglypuff, and Little Mac because I like being able to turn a game on its head with a single good read.

Djent

Smash Champion
I play the characters that are the most fun to play as, but winning is really fun and a big contributor to overall enjoyment. So I generally settle on characters who net me a high number of wins with a moderate investment of effort. They are rarely the easiest or the hardest to master and are generally high- or top-tierish once the game settles out.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
My older brother's character philosophy has always been "the greatest amount of reward for the smallest amount of effort." He mained ICs/Dedede in Brawl and mains Ness/Yoshi in Smash 4. He wants to play Falcon because he acknowledges the character is stupid but it doesn't really mesh with his preferred character feel.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
I main Ike 'cause I like his "big brown stick"
<.<
>.>

And I main Wario 'cause of Butt taunt.

yeah... I'm very mature.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
My older brother's character philosophy has always been "the greatest amount of reward for the smallest amount of effort." He mained ICs/Dedede in Brawl and mains Ness/Yoshi in Smash 4.
Heh. I'm shocked he doesn't play Sonic, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom