• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
everyone thinks their main is bad
I know sheik mains who think she isnt even top tier for whatever reason
the problem is, you're seeing your character for their flaws alone, or so it seems
I've seen Luigi mains do the same thing
"Luigi has such poor mobility!"
doesnt matter when you can literally take neutral by pressing the b-button which on shield or on hit grants you a free combo off grab
Luigis reward is excessive for his downsides and renders his poor mobility effectively moot

Luma and Rosas disjoints really do cancel out her downsides, uair kills way too early, doesnt even require luma to use, and can chase air dodges very effectively, and luma himself is just dumb

sure she dies early but that hardly matters when she's practically immune aerial strings and juggling anyways
She's not immune to aerial strings though. I've killed people sub 50 percent and I've died sub 50 percent. Take away her uair and she's maybe mid tier. I'm not saying she sucks but she's not the undisputed #2 character in the game. I play her because I thought she was broken and had the most unique playstyle.
There's a strong Rosalina in my region (Rayquasa). And yet, I use DK because I want to. Not because of matchups. It's because I enjoy playing the character and I like his playstyle. As a result, I lab hard with him, enjoy the game, and get some results. So I'd say everyone is worth using when the meta game is so young and hardly anyone is fully explored yet.
For now, I'll just say this. Even though I disagree with your opinion, I respect it. Let's agree to disagree.
What's the dk vs rosalina MU? The best Mario in the world doesn't use mario vs rosalina. Why haven't you changed anything up? I get it though there's players willing to run their character no matter how poor the MU is.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't think I ever dropped a character that I was set on maining from day 1. Stuck with Bison in Street Fighter for the longest time (Dudley in Third Strike) and I'm set on maining him in SFV despite the drastic changes.
Bison looks sick in SFV though. It's his most badass incarnation yet. And I tell you what, after seeing Ken in action today, I might end up dropping Gouki for him. Assuming my main man makes it into this game, of course.

(But boy is Ken ugly as **** though, Jesus.)

As for talks of secondaries? I dunno. I guess I could count Ryu, but it's not like I've been able to really cut my teeth with him save for WiFi. I can't take him to EVO either, because of the recent DLC character ban. I play DHD and Villager for funsies/teritary stuff, and to understand how the other half of the game works. I don't think I could ever play those characters seriously. Zoning is something I've never been good at it.

Personal aptitudes? In the manner of @Thinkaman:

Adaptation > Spacing > Timing > Execution

I have a lot of people in my region say that I can adapt extremely well, in both shorter and longer sets, much to their consternation. If I put in a little more time against them specifically, they say, I could probably crack 'em wide open and start winning sets in tourney.

Playing D3, you have to be able to space extremely well; I've had that beaten into me. I'm pretty good at landing jabs and ftilts and aerials at max range and remaining relatively safe on-hit or on-shield.

Timing is something I need to get to the level of my spacing on. I trade wayyyyy too much, and it's hardly ever in my favor. 'Nuff said.

And my execution is pretty booty. 'Nuff said about that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I seem to have a fondness with characters with good footsies but vicious punish potential as well as mixups.
:4mewtwo: just really speaks to me in the things he can do once he lands solid hits on you, and makes the player feel like
a mastermind if you can pull them off. Fitting for a psychic type.

:4megaman: is a safer choice with almost unrivalled mid-range footsies, but his tools can be used to do so much when used together correctly, and he still has some mean punishes.

:4palutena: mainly because I like her, but she also plays interestingly with unique move gimmicks and useful jab.

:4bowserjr:has the mixup potential in his kart, particularly when coupled with mechakoopas and his smashes are no joke.

:4pacman: 'nuff said.

:4shulk: because his range and arts make him much more interesting than most swordies, and let him pull off insane stunts
when used well.

I also have a general fondness for the heavies (:4dk::4ganondorf::4bowser::4dedede:), and my fondness for punishes is why I prefer :4drmario: over :4mario: (plus he feels more flexible than :4luigi:).

All the DLC I really like too. :4lucas: rewards patience and ingenuity with his moves, :4feroy: is also a unique swordie whose throws
set up many 50/50s, and :4ryu: again speaks for himself.

Other characters that fit my style: :4samus:, :4zelda:, :4gaw:, :4falco:, :4duckhunt:, :4robinm:.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, the reason I use my actual character specifically?

Aside from the rushdown aspect, it's probably pretty obvious to all of you that I'm a character loyalist, and it just so happened to take me quite far in this game. Ness I think was probably the first 'odd' or 'out of the ordinary' smash character and he has a brilliant mix of tools and great personality both in his games and in smash.

And like, I saw a lot of myself matching with Ness. As a young kid I used him in 64, then into Brawl I wasn't much older than Ness/Lucas so it was kinda like having a friend literally fighting in the game for you.

And in terms of personal aptitudes, adaptation is also the highest on my list. I pride myself on punishing any and all habits the opponent has, whilst trying to account for any differences they could make to their plan at any time and being ready for that too. On the flipside, I'm also very good at finding the situations where I can be read and changing appropriately, although occasionally my mind is too fast for my body and I do the predictable thing even knowing it's going to screw me over.

In terms of how I really play him, I think of it like a racquet in Tennis, like an extension of myself. If I feel like I need to Bair, I Bair, if I feel as if I need to grab, I grab. It gets me places most of the time because I subconsciously have an idea of what to do. Also with Ness in particular, there are so many random ways to get hilariously early kills, PK Flash and PKT2 just kill at laughably early percents, it's a similar satisfaction to going for Falcon's knee. And rushdown in general is cool, it's a strong kind of gameplay that shuts your opponent down and really pressures them without feeling overly harsh like a projectile/zoning kind of game. It's a lot about overcoming the neutral and then punishing them hard for that mistake during advantage, and it feels satisfying to be able to go from such low percents to such high ones so quickly. I've done combos/strings that have done about 75% to my opponent in a single go (or 0-deathing of course with a good PKT2 read <3 ).

I understand we're probably getting quite off-topic, but this is a nice break. If people do want to get back to regular discussion, why don't we talk about some of the mid tiers? :4littlemac: :4jigglypuff: :4bowser: :4dk: :4kirby: and the like? Also Mac has been annoying me lately, I really need to be more consistent withmy punishes in advantage and win neutral more than I am currently. *sadness*

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I like frustrating opponents, a lot, like, my whole game plan in brawl relied on getting in their head. I also like to assert my stage control and feel like I can go from 0-100 real fast, finally, I like to WIN, hence :rosalina:and:4sheik:. :4olimar: exists for me only because he did that in brawl and plays to a similar but less effective strategy in smash 4. Finally I use :4feroy: because speed + power + sword just lets me have fun and destroy people when I feel like going all out aggro.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I play who I want to play through play style or aesthetics also I have a strict rule that I only put serious time into characters who games and series I enjoy and beat so you will never see me play characters like :4wiifit::4ness::4lucas::4littlemac::4olimar::4diddy::4dk::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4villager::4sonic::4shulk: for the time being. I'm a big Star Fox fan so I play a Star Fox character every game so :fox64: in 64 then when Melee came out and :falcomelee: was my main along with :marthmelee: and :roymelee: for my low tier main( Only time i broke my supposed rule). Brawl came out and :falco: was my tourney character when I competed as well as :metaknight: and :lucario: for the :pikachu2:MU and regretted not putting more time into :marth:. Smash 4 too many characters I actually like and I got sins to repent for my bird:4falco: so I play him in here as well as :4robinm::4marth::4lucina::4feroy: and:4bowser:from time to time and working on a :rosalina:.

In terms of playstyles when I was younger i enjoyed rushing people down but as I got older and understand games way better I enjoy movement and defensive play more and after playing 3d Fighters like Soul Calibur and Tekken for a bit after I took a break from competitive smash it solidify this for me as a player.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf: : "I have down-tilt and can also force tech situations. Lots of work required but the rewards increase your enjoyment of the game and leads to a healthier lifestyle."
:4falco: : "I dislike the work required to even touch my opponent, but I still have an explosive punishment game and sweet animations. Have you seen my forward-tilt?"
:4metaknight: : "My dash attack is like... really good."
:4fox: : "Same."
:4lucas: : "I like to press neutral A in the air. It's fun watching you struggle."

:4pikachu::4myfriends::4mario::4drmario::4tlink::4ness::4kirby: :4jigglypuff::4charizard:: "We get played a lot too."

Basically, I like getting good rewards for reading my opponent and putting them in situations where they start to struggle. I'm not that great at the game but the mental aspect just sings to me. Sometimes doing the strangest thing and watching how your opponent reacts gets me addicted.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hmm, I really like this idea - it's also pretty good for getting what makes a character 'tick' out there from a different perspective, which is always neat.

Anyways, I'm actually kind of figuring out what my strengths as a player are currently but I seem to like being able to switch from being extremely defensive to hyper-aggressive, and then back - sort of a tempo-switching playstyle?
My approach to neutral also seems to have a lot to do with throwing up somewhat aggressive walls; back in Brawl I played and extremely aggressive :falco: where I constantly used lasers to approach, in Melee (which I don't actually play seriously) I play :marthmelee:, and here in Smash 4 my main is :4sheik:.
I definitely like not having to commit too hard to things, and for some reason I tend to pick up pretty technical characters (and/or put in a lot of time on 'optional' tech skill stuff - everywhere but Melee, ironically).

This has actually been a bit of an issue for me since my secondary is :4zss:, and I have a lot of trouble in the neutral because I tend to revert to attempts at Bair/Nair walling, which... doesn't work. Luckily my punish game's pretty good with her, so I tend to pull her out when I want to "Hit something and make it actually die", which is a nice contrast from Sheik.

Oh yeah, and I like characters that look 'cool'. Flips/flashy attacks/etc. But that's secondary to everything else.

Sm4sh Characters I feel like have the playstyle 'attributes' (Can be played defensively or aggressively, preferably having disjoint, and highly mobile. Also has 'walling' potential in neutral) that I like:
:4falcon::4diddy::4greninja::4pikachu::4sheik:and :4metaknight:(? - not sure on the aggressive part)

Can anyone think of characters I missed?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
If you think your favorite heavyweight is hard countered by Rosa (people always think the heavies lose everything), you either main King Dedede (who falls under "severe tier mismatch"; DDD is really bad)
Fun fact: when the Rosalina-D3 match-up got analyzed the first time, almost every Dedede main said it was in his favor.

I don't think I cannot fully comprehend what makes the Rosalina-Ganon match-up bearsble for the latter.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I enjoy playing :4peach:as i do like to play technical characters with decent rewards, spacing, and baiting my opponent. While for other characters like Zss I enjoy how much she gets out of spacing and learning when and when not to grab. As for spacing I just love knowing what im doing is practically safe when a move is used properly. This is mostly why i play characters in other games like street fighter as rose and poison.

Footsie type characters are fun in general as its fun to watch players fight for dominance at neutral with his or her character.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Fun fact: when the Rosalina-D3 match-up got analyzed the first time, almost every Dedede main said it was in his favor.

I don't think I cannot fully comprehend what makes the Rosalina-Ganon match-up bearsble for the latter.
I never thought that. I did always feel that out of all the top tiers, Rosalina is the least oppressive to D3's overall gameplan. She still wins the MU, no question.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

I think with customs off, Rosalina has the advantage on paper. At the very least, Luma's existence basically invalidates Flame Choke and Wizard's Foot isn't exactly a stellar approach tool. (That said, fun fact: If Rosalina gets grabbed by Dark Dive, the damaging portion will also tag Luma if it's nearby.) Customs let Ganondorf actually do stuff. Flame Chain is a hitbox instead of a grab and thus doesn't care if Luma's there, while Wizard's Dropkick is better as an approach. Dark Fists will kill Rosalina at ludicrous % if you hit her with it. On the flip side, customs means he has to deal with Luma Warp, Shooting Star Bit, and Guardian Luma. (Because there's no way I'm bothering with an absorber vs. Ganondorf. He doesn't have anything to absorb.)

The usual disclaimer vs. Ganondorf of "don't mess up or you die anyway" definitely applies.

BSP

Smash Legend
I main Rosalina because she's good, to be real about it (she's also really fun and significantly rewards my patient playstyle). I do think the only two characters she actually hard counters are Duck Hunt and Pac-Man beyond perhaps some severe tier mis-match situations
....it continues. Please, share your wisdom over here.

Sheik has given me more trouble than Rosalina and Sonic have by a long shot, two MUs I previously thought were 30:70 until I studied them more.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not even sure what it is that I like about Pit. Aside from the obvious fact that he's my favourite Nintendo character, as a fighter, something about him just resonates with me.

Possibly it's his composite design that features elements of a zoner (arrows), a spacer (tilts), an aerial ace (he can go deep off-stage for the kill like few others can) and a grappler (his grab game is phenomenal); possibly it's the fact that, owing to his relative lack of extreme strengths or weaknesses, he's a character that requires skill and understanding to play. He's exceptionally easy to pick up and play, yet mastering him takes a lot of patience: over half a year after the game's release and I'm still discovering new tricks with him. He can adapt to the opponent's playstyle as he needs to, he has a diverse range of combos to play around with, he keeps you on your toes.

And I love that. I love that Pit isn't a character you can just go ham with or that can win with intense cheese, he's a character that forces you to watch your opponent, he makes you understand how they play, how to react to their moves and how to think on the fly. He's rock-paper-scissors incarnate, always trying to find new tech, new tactics that will help you eke out a victory. With Pit, you very rarely win through brute force: he isn't Ganondorf or Bowser. When you win with Pit, you win by the skin of your teeth, by racking up damage and then going in for the kill. You play hard and you win hard. Pit is a perfect representation of his canon self: a tiny and tenacious warrior that can take on opponents much bigger and more intimidating than himself just through willpower and cunning alone. Pit makes you play to the best of your ability and he is all about the fundamentals. Pit is among the simplest and yet most ingenious characters in the game, and I love that.

He's the jack of all trades, master of none: often much better than simply the one.

EDIT: Re: Rosalina vs Ganon, just labbing it there (not a great indication of a matchup, I know, it's just for a frame of reference), Ganondorf kills Luma with ridiculous ease and Rosie doesn't fare much better. Wizard's Dropkick just jumps right over Luma, which makes it a great approach, and the generously-proportioned hurtbox makes her an easy target.

This is with customs on, mind you. Custom Ganon is fun~ :3

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We even have a recent thread titled "Why did you pick your mains", lol.
>_>

But I'm not that anti-fun, heck I may've even been the precursor with my Marth/Falco mention.
Long story short I'm a character loyalist who learned the world of competitive gaming and fighting games primarily through Smash (64) and was on the ball ready to take over the world with Marth (and Falco) when Brawl got released. I played games "seriously" before but I had no logical base of understanding high level concepts. I played 2D fighters online for a while and was always focused on execution ("gotta get mah combos") and came frustrated at lack of growth and the 'fluidity' I felt when I decided to try Smash64 online, "freedom of movement" being something I immediately felt connected with. I was into fire emblem separately before first playing melee properly in like 06/07 and it was the Fire Emblem spark with people saying "Ken mains Marth" that started the "I know who I'm playing" journey.
I like playing good characters; I don't mind weaknesses, I just expect a character to be compensated well in areas of skill while being able to manage their weaknesses sanely. I can't really stand thinking "no option at all", if a character has that then I probably can't enjoy them.

I came into this mindset of playing to get better and also being masterful of the game, in training with partners I felt the need to play 'every good character'. Not only did it help my partner learn the match up it helped me learn the character/etc too. I have a specific anticipation and option coverage playstyle and enjoy characters who can achieve that the most. Smash 4 falls and I'm still playing Marth and Falco who were both underwhelming, I did a few US tournaments with them meanwhile looking for a different character in the cast that fits my playstyle; ZSS was my new lover. Not only was she one of my most played against characters in Brawl (5,000 years of playing the match up), she was spacing focused like Marth with similar tool sets, while sharing a lot of attributes of both Marth and Falco (heck me going 'wow runs faster than marth, moves in the air faster than Marth, jumps as high as Falco with options oozing out of every orifice).

At some point someone told me "I'm a character loyalist and you aren't" I got kind of mad, but at the same time it reflected my position / understanding of the game at that point. 6+ years of Marth hours transferred really fluidly into ZSS so I still reject that "hate". But I want to know/understand as much of the game as possible (as was the case in Brawl although 95% Marf) and in terms of play maximising fundamentals and adaption comes from being challenged, so playing lots of characters promotes that. I'm roughly a swordsmen player, and I like the term because it's mighty competitive between such sword saints (I heard FOW coin the term) and generally covers what play style/attributes I look for.
I've used Falco, Marth, Pika, Sheik, Sonic, G&W, Diddy (post-patch :p) and ZSS in S4 tournament.
I like working on MK for mid range rushdown, hit confirming and the right type of patience. I work on Pit for the pure mid-ranged footsie focused character with a high-skill niche in his arrows. Diddy is fun and being unique with his options comes a lot easier in this game compared to most other characters (doing cool/unique things kept me going in Brawl over all those years), but I couldn't handle him in Brawl at all. G&W is good as a "you cannot make mistakes" but as long as you don't you're amazing type of character. I otherwise purely use all the other high/top tiers for training purposes.
If you hear me positively comparing a character to Marth, you can assume they're someone I like.
Everything I look/think about in Smash is under a Mars Lens and will do 5ever.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I generally prefer slower and more methodical characters, but when Mega Man was announced I decided I would use him. Upon getting the demo and learning how counter-intuitive he is, I actually forced myself to through his playstyle, all his quirks and odd properties, until I found that I really like his style. the fact that his air speed combines so well with his arm cannon feels great, and learning to slowly tack on damage gave me greater appreciation for Smash in general.

More broadly though, one of my favorite things to do in Smash 4 is try different characters while thinking to myself, what mindset, what way of thinking do I need to truly grasp and embrace this character? High or low tier, coming to understand the strategic spirit of a character is immensely satisfying even if I'll never excel at the game.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Reasons for maining certain characters eh?

:4peach:
  • Great balance of versatility and adaptability thanks to a pretty good neutral game and veggies
  • I enjoy a character with a good aerial game and she's great at weaving into them
  • Generally the sense of untapped potential
  • Still best Nintendo gal
OMG PEACH MAINS REPRESENT!
:bluejump::bluejump:

Peach is a very fun, versatile, and a diverse character. Her float mechanic is extremely fun to use!

TriTails

Smash Lord
I main Luigi because:
- I like him as a character
- I perefer slow but pack a punch character rather than speedy weak ones
- Shorthops! He excels at them despite airspeed.
- Was severely underrated back in Wii U release, until Boss came in that is. And in 3DS release he was... like bottom tier trash...
- He is the only character in the high tiers who says 'Screw mobility'.
- Fast attacks! I dislike slow attacks, which is why I don't play someone like D3.
- Combos.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

Well, it's the sheer fact that if Ganondorf gets in, he will destroy Rosalina between 1 to 4 hits at minimum. Not even at 0% is Rosalina safe from Ganondorf. Plus, Ganondorf doesn't have a projectile that can be hit right back at him for more damage.

Also, let me to my Maining thing:

I main Link because:

-Fan of him since I was only a few years old.
-He has the best balance of attack speed, power, knockback and overall mobility.
-He's a character who is very, very satisfying to play as.
-He's actually easy to win matches with, especially online.
-He's got projectiles that meteor you...who else has a projectile that could even meteor the opponent?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I main Kirby because I like the character, honestly. I really like Lucario as well, but just like in Brawl, I ended up moving from him to Kirby. I like figuring out how to use copy abilities, and I like that he's somewhat viable this time around.

Also, Iots of people called Lucario unfair. In some cases, they were right. So I prefer a character that I can play honestly 24/7.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
i play :4peach: because i like a character that gives me a challenge
i play :4falcon: because i want to be jotaro when i grow up (Keepo)
i play :rosalina:/:4sheik: because video games are hard sometimes

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Alright. Pretty interesting topic here. Here we go.

:4sonic: Childhood heroe. Almost played every single one of my games, true Sonic Fan and when I used in Brawl I loved him... But he wasn't so great. Even then I still used the blue hedgehog. Then I found about Project M and boy... Did they do Sonic true justice. That Sonic Eagle attack is my favourite of all time. And seeing it work so properly in Project M was a dream for me. Now Sonic was a real treat and an awesome character. Smash 4 came out and I played with him the first time I booted my 3DS with the game. And I loved him already. His Spin Dash was awesome, his combos were pretty good and he had such a nice improvement since Brawl. I haven't left this guy the first time I met him.

:4lucas: I loved this guy too on Brawl. I haven't even touched any Earthbound/mother game but just for Nees and Lucas, I would totally do it. And I will do it this year. In Project M he was a beast. Nothing could stop him. And now in Smash 4 he has been improved since Brawl. One of my favourite Brawl mains and still is today.

:4greninja: Since Pokemon X, I loved Greninja. Such a cool and awesome pokemon. And he also had of the best hidden abitilies ever: Protean. And I wanted to play with him for so long in Pokemon X. But I didn't had the game, so I finally waited till Smash 4 and his gameplay was awesome. Even though he got nerfed. I got Smash 4 since November. So I think that was the time when he was nerfed. And I still liked him a lot. But then I just left to use him because I found better options. And I putted Lucas before Greninja because I love Lucas much more right now. And I wanted to put Greninja before my other main because he was one of my favourites. And he deserves a little bit more respect from me and anyone else.

:4feroy: Wooou... Such a surprise. Roy sucked in Melee so damn hard... I mean. It was really really bad. Then Project M came out and he improved much more than Melee. But even then I still didn't liked him or Marth. I always picked Ike because he was so much fun to use in Brawl and Project M. Then his new improvements in Smash 4 have gained my attention completetly on him. Good combos, he has a pretty good tech chase (at least in my opinion). And his new moves impressed me. Now he is one of my principal secondaries.

:4sheik: Getting rid of Sonic's bad match-ups. That's about it honestly. I haven't liked Sheik or Zelda in amy Zelda game. And the only Zelda game I liked was Wind Waker. I despise with every single bit of my soul Ocarina of Time (Yeah I know. But that game was so damn boring to me. Sorry).

:4falcon:YES. SHOW YA MOVES. COME ON. FALCON KICK. FALCOOOON PUNCH! This guy. This ****ing guy. I loved him the moment I pikced him in Smash 64. Such a nice time in 2009. Back when I was really into Kaillera Smash 64. The players were so amazing, there was so much activity back then. Massive competition, amazing combos. That was the game that introduced me to Smash. And Captain Falcon was a blast to play. Pretty fun and amazing combos, the best voice actor ever. THE MOST EPIC MOVE OF ALL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES. Captain Falcon has been always awesome since his first game, and in Melee he was a demon. Fast paced combos, sick setups, And now a new move: THE KNEE OF JUSTICE. And the Falcon Punch looked even better. In Brawl he still felt really good for me. And was one of my favourites. And Smash 4 hasn't changed a single thing. He's still the badass Captain Falcon I have always loved.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Doesn't Freaky Key go literally nowhere? Or is that Lazy Key? I remember being completely baffled by one of his custom keys.
No, you're correct, Freaky Key doesn't travel.

Bone-Idle Key travels veeeery slowly.

EDIT: Is it called Lazy Fruit in the NTSC version? Well, the more you know, ne~?

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Oh yeah and I play Lucas because Mother 3 is an amazing game and he's a precious little woobie.

He only became my main in Brawl after out of curiosity I decided to check his game out and fortunately the fan-translation was already out by then.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What are pac mans bad mu's? You guys always talk him up but I just don't see it.
With customs off, Shiek and Pikachu. QA is dumb for avoiding our traps and Shiek is Shiek. Way too damn safe.

With customs, I'm unsure. I've heard that lazy fruit is great against pikachu because it denies him the ability to QA through our traps, but I haven't tried it against him yet.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
With customs off, Shiek and Pikachu. QA is dumb for avoiding our traps and Shiek is Shiek. Way too damn safe.

With customs, I'm unsure. I've heard that lazy fruit is great against pikachu because it denies him the ability to QA through our traps, but I haven't tried it against him yet.
Is there a pacman worth watching other than abedango

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Why we play characters?

I play Shulk because I loved Xenoblade, simple as that. His style grew on me the more I played him, though, and I love the versatility Monado Arts give him as well as his dumb range.

Everyone else, I play because I like playing them. This is the main reason why I am thinking about dropping Falco as a secondary - he's not fun to play after the patch. I don't know why.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I played baseball for 10 years. It's ingrained in my brain that if you're using a weapon like a bat that its an extension of my body. I've spent so many hours with a bat in my hand it's no wonder why I prefer Sword fighters. Especially ones with sweet sour spots.

Marth feels right to me. Perfect when I play him correctly. He has the ability to control the tempo of the match and demand respect through defense.

Roy, Peach, Kirby, Fox, and Pit(oo) fill my need for unrelenting with offence when I get to capitalise on situations.

Baseball taught me to hold them back with offence until they make a mistake then destroy them with hit after hit.
I like the sports analogy. Really makes sense.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
for real though, I play :4tlink: cause i needed a swordie that can mesh with my hit and run/projectile spam tendencies, and having projectiles to fall back on in tight spots is pretty useful
I play :4sonic: not cause I initially wanted to, but because he's the only top tier I feel comfortable playing
And I play:4lucas:because I feel the need to learn him and I like his (h)air game.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
She's not immune to aerial strings though. I've killed people sub 50 percent and I've died sub 50 percent. Take away her uair and she's maybe mid tier. I'm not saying she sucks but she's not the undisputed #2 character in the game. I play her because I thought she was broken and had the most unique playstyle.

What's the dk vs rosalina MU? The best Mario in the world doesn't use mario vs rosalina. Why haven't you changed anything up? I get it though there's players willing to run their character no matter how poor the MU is.
DK loses the matchup hard but that's what secondaries are for :p
I've been labbing with Ness and I might pick Fox back up because R.O.B. really doesn't cover DK's bad matchups very well. Sheik and Zero Suit Samus destroy both of them and so many people in my region main them. Also ROB is kinda boring. I'm thinking DK, Ness, and Fox have good matchup coverage between them. I'll just keep labbing with them and see if I can make something happen.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
I always enjoy this kind of talk.

:4ryu:
As a fan of both Smash and Street Fighter, I am a huge fan of Ryu in Smash 4. The level of detail in his design I think is unmatched. His hits feel beefy in a way no other character can match. Landing a true shoryuken never stops feeling satisfying. Sometimes in this world of goofy Nintendo characters, I need someone to bring out an old fashion beatdown. And no one does this like the OG Ryu.

:rosalina:
She's one of my favorite Nintendo characters. Being a fan of Arc System Works games, I always thought of a "stand" character would be cool in Smash. She's super fun (imo) and being a strong character helps too. Very cool addition.

:4littlemac:
Sometimes I wanna give fools the ole one'two. It's a challenge sometimes, but Mac always feel fun to play. I been requesting this underdog for awhile and am super happy with his smash debut. Nothing like using the Rocky of Nintendo to score the KO.

:4falcon:
Such a charismatic character. Fast and hits like a truck. Nothing much to say that has not been said by others.

:4myfriends:
I love Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, so I like Ike. Again I like meaty attacks on my characters. Swinging around the Ragnel always feels good. And landing a F-smash is the best.

I just noticed I play buff dudes plus :rosalina:. Wonder if there's a joke somewhere. P.S. Bring back :snake: Sakurai!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
From what I've seen locally, Rosalina and Sonic really wreck Pac-Man, and I'm pretty sure Villager and Sheik can use similar styles to shut him down (but probably not as hard as Rosa and Sonic do). I don't think Pac-Man is a great character regardless, but honestly he'd probably be 30-35th on the tier list if those MUs were normal but is more like 45-50th because that's a very bad set of characters to be hard countered by.

As per DDD vs Rosa, maybe DDD does better against Rosa than other top tiers, but is that saying anything? Once I realized that literally every single button DDD has that isn't a grab is unsafe on block regardless of spacing which combines awfully poorly with his bottom five mobility specs, I realized this MU is really free. DDD's hitboxes are very high range/priority and the guy just doesn't die, but he has no way to approach or pressure at all which is just too cripplingly bad for him to be a competitive character. At first I thought DDD was underrated since if you go toe to toe with him his moves are deceptively dangerous and he has some good offensive "flow", but then I started looking at his entire moveset as being smash-attack level risky for him to use and it got really easy to beat the local DDD. If any patch ever reduces the endlag on ftilt so it's actually safe on block with good spacing, DDD will become a far better character though; that this move clearly designed to prevent him from getting boxed out is so unsafe even with max spacing makes zero design sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom