• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Incidentally, I'm 99% certain any character can be played offensively or defensively, dependent on the player. Which really means that the player themself dictates how a character functions. Which leads me to wonder if character hate is just player hate masked by the game itself.

Less "Sonic is a campy ***" and more "This guy using Sonic is a campy ***".

And then you open up a can of worms wondering if the campy Sonic guy would do better playing a character more inherently campy like I don't know Village or DHD or Mii Gunner or something.
Ask Seagull Joe, Static Manny, and Dabuz. People raged at their defensive Sonic and Rosalina. Their defensive Sonic and Rosalina works, but it might not work for someone else or it just doesn't fit their style. So, Acid goes hard and uses Captain Falcon's jab a lot, but ZeRo focuses more for ambush beatdowns when he catches you slipping. Officer Jenny's ZSS is all over the place while Bengal's - it's been a while, so I don't really remember - is more methodically paced. 6wX has the skills and reaction and something else to go really aggressive with Sonic which is already a difficult and risky play style. Ditto with Tweek's Bowser Jr. On the flip side, Andy_Sauro is much more defensive and it's a safe game plan for Jr.

At the same time, it's up to the character's design. Ganondorf can play aggressively and go ham, but his defensive and methodical approach is much stronger and Link can play without using a lot of projectiles and fight more up close, but that does limit him to a skewed game plan when he has several. Other characters are not fortunate like Falco, Fox, and Zelda. Falco and Fox suffer from approach issues, but Falco not having a decent projectile to zone means he's limited to fighting up close which is half of his game plan while Fox can be played defensively, there's a point where going ham with Fox is better since he can rack up damage fast and pressure hard. Zelda is designed to be a defensive character, but her overall design doesn't work well in practice and she has to approach which she's not good at.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Incidentally, I'm 99% certain any character can be played offensively or defensively, dependent on the player.

Any character can be played in any play-style. That doesn't mean every character should be played that way or doesn't have an optimal play-style.

Sheik can be played aggressively and does a pretty damn good job at it, but optimal Sheik is still a campy Sheik. Same with Sonic.

I can't count how many times I see/hear people play Greninja aggressively and just try to stay on the approach, and, while it can work, it is far from his optimized, and is actually one of the worst ways for him to played tbh cause his approach game isn't very good at all, play-style while his more optimized play-style is more passive aggressive/trickster/bait-and-punish style.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yo, people looked at this, http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-frame-data-rankings.402294/, right?

Captain Falcon is apparently slow and Robin is fairly decent on the draw. Buuuuut that doesn't mean much when you factor in everything else and what move(s) a character will be using a lot. Captain Falcon's jab is still fast and move used a lot in his game plan while his slower moves like Down Smash might not.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Yo, people looked at this, http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-frame-data-rankings.402294/, right?

Captain Falcon is apparently slow and Robin is fairly decent on the draw. Buuuuut that doesn't mean much when you factor in everything else and what move(s) a character will be using a lot. Captain Falcon's jab is still fast and move used a lot in his game plan while his slower moves like Down Smash might not.
Two of his slowest moves, f-smash and up-smash, can also be started quite a ways away from opponents. F-smash has obscene stutter step range and his jump cancelled up-smash goes super far. But yeah, frame speed definitely isn't Falcon's calling card. But, because of Jab and his run speed, it only really hurts him in disadvantage (where it really really really hurts him)

Edit: Also, Greninja's frame data doesn't seem like its effectively the third slowest in the game. Weird to see the Frog that far down this list

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I thought everyone always knew that Falcon's moveset was really slow. (Sans jab)

The only truly surprising data point on that list for me was quantifying just how slow Greninja's overall kit is.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
it might be a bit off topic but does anyone think that Yoshi's aerials are unreasonably strong?

Fair is a fairly quick move with a large hitbox to spike with, Dair does 30% damage if all hits land (which isnt hard to pull off since it pretty much traps you in its wake), bair does standard aerial damage for each of its multiple hits, and uair spikes with a hitbox that is by no means small.

his aerials just seem silly powerful.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I thought everyone always knew that Falcon's moveset was really slow. (Sans jab)

The only truly surprising data point on that list for me was quantifying just how slow Greninja's overall kit is.
Yeah, he's got some laggy start-up. His end-lag however is good for the majority of his moves, or at least feels good. Which generally plays into what his optimized play-style is.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah, he's got some laggy start-up. His end-lag however is good for the majority of his moves, or at least feels good. Which generally plays into what his optimized play-style is.
Yeah, he's extremely slippery and imo one of the less fun characters to fight.

Bold, rude opinion: I'm more or less happy Greninja isn't better than he is.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman

All you really need is a good fast jab and the rest you can leave up to spacing tbh. Also some impractical moves will inflate some of the numbers.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
All you really need is a good fast jab and the rest you can leave up to spacing tbh. Also some impractical moves will inflate some of the numbers.
Are you calling Ganon u-tilt impractical?!? Blasphemy.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Just wanna say that if I'm fighting a Rosalina or a Sonic and they aren't camping me, my immediate thought is that they are just goofing around. "Camping is life" is my thought when someone plays these characters.

And you know what?

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

My issue with Sonic especially will NEVER be his optimal defensive playstyle.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja's frame data being worse than Shulk was surprising to say the least.

He really doesn't feel that slow when attacking, but well, it doesn't matter much when he has so much reward on hit.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Just wanna say that if I'm fighting a Rosalina or a Sonic and they aren't camping me, my immediate thought is that they are just goofing around. "Camping is life" is my thought when someone plays these characters.

And you know what?

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

My issue with Sonic especially will NEVER be his optimal defensive playstyle.
Admittedly, it is very fun to try and ping-pong people back and forth between Rosalina and Luma.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
it might be a bit off topic but does anyone think that Yoshi's aerials are unreasonably strong?

Fair is a fairly quick move with a large hitbox to spike with, Dair does 30% damage if all hits land (which isnt hard to pull off since it pretty much traps you in its wake), bair does standard aerial damage for each of its multiple hits, and uair spikes with a hitbox that is by no means small.

His ground game is just as good.

:059:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Yea I'm switching to yoshi in default personally. Seems like Denti is too.

Originally picked him up just to learn b-reverse and wavelanding when Wii U came out, and also to get used to quickly angling while doing the input for up-special so i can shoot the can while recovering better.

But i think Yoshi has way more potential than duck hunt and I'd rather invest in him if I'm going to work with an iffy character.

I think the main reason people don't use him is he's awkward to use. You pretty much need a shoulder jump button for him, and then get used to his air speed/recovery.

Yoshi bomb is also pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No

Fair is a fairly quick move with a large hitbox to spike with
Are you playing Smash 64? That's the only game where his Fair was ever fast.
Dair does 30% damage if all hits land (which isnt hard to pull off since it pretty much traps you in its wake)
If you allow a Yoshi to use a rising Dair and not hit him since he has no more DJ armor since be broke it to get damage off, then yes you're gonna get hit for being bad.
Only way he'll ever get the full move off is if you're on a platform not shielding (which is the best option against this character in all situations) or if he runs offstage and rising Dair to do it which puts him at risk of being slapped offstage with no DJ.
bair does standard aerial damage for each of its multiple hits
Yeah, like 10 whole % while C.falcon can throw Uair out for 12% each time, or Luigi nair.
and uair spikes with a hitbox that is by no means small.

wut, spike?
I know you're 2015, but I still felt like answering all these silly things. His only decent aerials are Uair and Nair. Everything else either has long startup/cooldown or just lasts forever.

I think the main reason people don't use him is he's awkward to use. You pretty much need a shoulder jump button for him, and then get used to his air speed/recovery.
Actually, most people use R or L for Special.

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Should probably set one of the shoulder buttons to jump if available anyway. Several characters become more interesting with the relaxed control 'limits' (ie. your right hand doing everything while your left hand plays with a knob all the time; probably a bad idea, and a habit that's very hard to break).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I mean, yes it kills when you're at like 120+% (like any kill move would do lol) and you airdodge into it (cause he's certainly not getting the last hit from a short hop due to the massive landing lag and how slow it is + >approaching with bair when both you and opponent are on the ground where simply pressing the shield button counters Yoshi)
But most of Yoshi's aerials, even the good ones, have more cons to it than pros.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Shulks frame-data is poor, I still support Decisive Monado arts despite external opinions on MALLC.

Dec Speed speaks for itself, however Dec Buster is something else entirely. Buster Shulk still isnt *that* safe, but his Decisive form is. Every normal except his jabs and sour spot stale Fair deals 20-50% of a shields health on top of his additional shield safety and he has an 18% back-throw , with the 4.6% pummel, being an easy 24% when Fresh that only gets better overtime because of additional pummels as % increases. To put it another way, when combo characters are no longer getting guaranteed or near guaranteed follow ups off a grab for easy %. Shulk is still doing 20+% for a grab, can break your shield, and can be hard to punish on shield. This is a character hitting so hard that despite the decreased knockback effect of the stance, he very well may kill you in Decisive Buster....

Dec Smash is also noticeably improved I mean hell, F-throw and back-throw will kill at actual competitive %'s compared to regular . If anything Decisive arts have the least risk, with the most *consistent* reward (though Hypers is obviously the highest) of all 3 options.

When your frame-data is fairly ass. Dec Speeds cross-ups/grabs and Dec Busters damage output/shield safety are where the money is at.

If default Buster Shulk had Decisives 54% damage boost, it would greatly help make amends for his start-up (and end-lag) problems...

Though of course you could just pick Pit, be disjointed with good reach on your attacks, a projectile, multi-jumps , invincibility on a special, reflection on two specials, ridiculous recovery distance, good frame-data, and especially quick Smashes...

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I mean, yes it kills when you're at like 120+% (like any kill move would do lol) and you airdodge into it (cause he's certainly not getting the last hit from a short hop due to the massive landing lag and how slow it is + >approaching with bair when both you and opponent are on the ground where simply pressing the shield button counters Yoshi)
But most of Yoshi's aerials, even the good ones, have more cons to it than pros.
Uhmmmm, are you comparing Yoshi to like Brawl Meta Knight? All of Yoshi's aerials have low landing lag and aren't THAT easy to punish. You make it sound like most character can short hop aerial attack to a character shielding and not get punished.

Yoshi in general is a really good character. No clue why you think that somehow everything about him (seriously man, you do this a lot) is mediocre and he is just so easy to beat. He actually has way more tournament results than a lot of the cast. (Especially from Japan) If Little Mac mains got even half the results as Yoshi does they would be screaming for joy. I think Yoshi is in a good place.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't really feel like answering or saying stuff I say all the time right now cause at this point it feels like people just see it as baseless regurgitated statements I guess despite them being true no matter how many times I say it.
So I'll just link one of the few posts that explains Yoshi well based on some of us coming to this conclusion through our skype group.

http://smashboards.com/threads/all-...fit-lucario-sonic.393061/page-2#post-18746227

Also Little mac gets rep, about as much as Yoshi.
Hell Megafox/Espy was pretty much using LM to counter Diddy before the patch.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Hehehe
heh
But seriously, do you honestly think Bair or Dair is good?
Fair has range, and that's about it.
Fair is a good aerial. It has range. Yoshi has full aerial mobility during its relatively high startup, allowing him to wave back and forth with it safely. It has very little cooldown or landing lag. It's extremely dangrous offstage and allows for free followups on hit onstage. Bair and dair are OK. Nothing amazing though a well placed/timed dair can mess opponents up pretty badly.

You're saying that uair and nair are his only "decent" aerials. That's a ridiculous stretch and you know it - bair and dair are decent, fair is good, uair is great and nair is like fox!nair levels of OP. You also left out the fact that Yoshi has great airspeed, that [reverse] neutral B is one of the most reliable landing options in the game and that Egg Toss can frame trap airborne opponents into lots of stuff.

Seriously, try playing some other character who doesn't get everything for free like Marth or DK or Lucario and watch how you suddenly start whiffing a good 50% of your aerials completely because of how pathetic some of the aerial hitboxes in this game can truly be. Even aerials that are generally considered to be pretty good like Wario's nair have a relatively high chance of whiffing against opponents that are standing right next to Wario because of how small aerial hitboxes are and because of how short they are active. Yoshi air game is pure luxury in contrast.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I guess because my City has basically Fox Sonic Pikachu Sheik and a trillion Mario/Luigi players is why I never have a fun time with Yoshi.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I have a question for Pac Man mains. Throughout this thread, I've heard the general sentiment that Pac Man has a difficult time with Rosalina, though it's only 40:60, while maintaining 45:55 or better with the rest of the cast. On the other hand, I've also seen the general sentiment that Pac Man is not a top 10 character.

How can this be the case? A matchup spread that good is indicative of a top 5, or even top 3 character, yet I haven't seen anyone put Pac Man remotely close to there. One 40:60 matchup, which is perfectly winnable, against a top tier character doesn't suddenly exempt a character from top 3/5/10 status. In addition, from my browsing of this thread, he seems to have even matchups or advantages against some top tiers, and also doesn't struggle against any mid or low tiers. Could a Pac Man main please explain why he isn't top 10/5/3 with such a good matchup spread?
Well, our worst matchup is actually sonic, but to answer your question, it's because he doesn't outright beat that many top tiers. He goes even with many, and goes 45:55 with others, but the only ones strongly in his favor are luigi, Captain falcon, and maaaaybe brawler.

From the matchup discussion in the Pac-Man thread, and my own independent research, he has all the tools needed to be a threat. Unfortunately, he is held back by the lack of a good grab (unblockable trampoline does help this a lot however) and a killing problem because of his slow smash attacks outside of usmash (but the horizontal range on that is poor)

However,
A Pac-Man with the stock lead is incredibly hard to win against because of his defense options and string nuetral game. With a frame one eject button (trampoline), frame 3 combo breaker/kill move (Nair), and stupid good Anti-juggle tool (Hydrant)
It is very hard to keep him in disadvantage. Zage is correct about his nuetral being incredible, and his advantage state isn't bad either because of how much you can get off of one fruit toss.

Just look at the galaxian death combos and z drop shenanigans/traps.

Pac-Man would have trouble against people who can bypass his traps and stay in his face, but his versatility and expansive toolbox is what stops him from being a sitting duck (hunt) when someone ruins his initial game plan. He can slow, or speed up the game state.

Hell, I advocate not having a singular game plan with Pac-Man since he has enough tools to allow great freedom to the player. Just be creative and follow your intuition.

So rush down is getting you down? Let's see how they like an on stage trampoline + hydrant to make any approach a chore. Projectile campers ruining your day? Use Side B to absorb that wall and use your exceptional frame data to rush them down.

The one character that ignores nearly all of Pac-Man's options is sonic. Fast enough to run through the hydrant, spin dash clanks with almost every fruit, too fast to set up consistent traps in nuetral, spin dash sometimes hit us when we Up B out of shield, his ground game is superior, too fast to risk whiffing our terrible grab...

It's pretty bad. Many Pac-Mains and I actually don't feel that rosa is all that hard anymore (possibly 50:50 or 55:45 in our favor of played right)

It's sonic that's the issue. We're trying to find a way to minimize the difficulty of that matchup, and it may require ledge camping with the trampoline and hydrant to run out the time.

I feel that he can only go up with customs (because they patch up his minor killing problem and strengthen his nuetral + advantage states even more)

But for now, I think that he's top 15.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Honestly though I wanted to point out a few things still.
Fair is a good aerial. It has range. Yoshi has full aerial mobility during its relatively high startup, allowing him to wave back and forth with it safely. It has very little cooldown or landing lag. It's extremely dangrous offstage and allows for free followups on hit onstage.
It really depends if the Yoshi times the SH Fair right to have no landing lag, otherwise if too late inputting fair they'll mess up and have quite a bit of landing lag. Even then, people can still tech spikes so Fair into followups isn't guaranteed, even if they don't tech I've had people airdodge the Uair part of it before I can even land it.
Hitstun is weird in this game, it's like a 2/10 chance I get the Fair to uair when people miss techs.
Not saying it's bad, just two or so things on Fair.

You're saying that uair and nair are his only "decent" aerials. That's a ridiculous stretch and you know it - bair and dair are decent, fair is good, uair is great and nair is like fox!nair levels of OP. You also left out the fact that Yoshi has great airspeed, that [reverse] neutral B is one of the most reliable landing options in the game and that Egg Toss can frame trap airborne opponents into lots of stuff.
I didn't even wanna include Uair cause I almost never land that due to how good airdodging is in this game. About as silly as rolling on stage.
Reverse neutral B is good, the first few times. If people are still running towards a yoshi with his back turned not expecting a b-reverse then I'm quite surprised.

Seriously, try playing some other character who doesn't get everything for free like Marth or DK or Lucario and watch how you suddenly start whiffing a good 50% of your aerials completely because of how pathetic some of the aerial hitboxes in this game can truly be. Even aerials that are generally considered to be pretty good like Wario's nair have a relatively high chance of whiffing against opponents that are standing right next to Wario because of how small aerial hitboxes are and because of how short they are active. Yoshi air game is pure luxury in contrast.

Using those 4 characters as examples, yeah their aerial game sucks. But two of which can kill at sub 30% (marth/Lucario from tippers/rage+aura) or just plain kill early (wario/DK)
Yoshi doesn't kill early at all. Apparently if I remember correctly from thinkaman's list, 161% is when he kills mario with Nair as an example. I happened to remember a match against someone where I hit a lighter character than mario with Nair at a higher % than 161 and they still didn't die. With rage on multiple occasions.

So we have great airspeed and decent aerials, but not-so-great kill moves.
I would prolly switch out good aerials most likely for good early % kill moves like Marth Lucario etc. Give us DK or Marth fall speed too while we're at it.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush I don't think you would actually want to trade out Yoshi's aerials for early kill moves. As a Marth main, I would much rather have aerials that have very little landing lag and hard to punish than a move that kills at 50% but requires a LOT of reading to do and is punishable as all things if you do anything besides hitting the opponent.

There is a reason why every potential top 10 character has fast and hard to punish aerials. They are just too effective at gaining control in a match due to the low risk-high reward deal. It's just a much safer option and in any fighting game the character with the most safe options is the best character. Yoshi's aerials are actually much better than most, and they at least BARELY achieve this.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
it's the fact that fair pretty much dunks no matter where he hits it and it already has a large hitbox which irks me, bair isnt so much of an issue but dair still deals absurd amounts of damage and comes out at a fairly good speed, and it's hard to DI out of because of how little time you have before it ends.

Also, his absolute control of his eggs, while not a big issue, is still pretty annoying.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Welcome to the world of Falco where without something to seriously set up a combo, not even Fair's measly disjoint will catch unless someone's stupid enough to DI towards him. Falco's melee range on the ground is good if not silly with Ftilt, Dtilt, and Side Smash.

I'm considering a petition to bring Falco more in line with KoF's King. He's already got Venom Strike through Reflector and his Ftilt could count as being similar to King's Muay Thai, Savate, and whatever else she has. Would anyone like to see Falco perform a reverse Tornado Kick for his Bair that would at least cover him front and back while looking cool or an actual projectile custom for his Reflector? Yes, I'm desperate. :p

Anyway, I guess it's cause Slush mains Yoshi and most mains if not all know their weaknesses, so when someone says, Yoshi's Dash Attack is annoying, Slush would argue it's punishable. Dabuz is like this too with Rosalina and Seagull with Sonic. It's not so much as downplaying, but knowing your character enough to say what are their strengths and weaknesses and in some cases what people see as a massive strength might be an okay strength and what seems to be a weakness is actually a strength or even what people see is a strength is actually a weakness.

Falco's Bair is strong and people praised the Wolf Bair, but Wolf had air speed, low jump, and he already had a decent get off me Nair. Falco with Wolf's Bair is essentially removing the front hitbox since Falco's Bair was strong since Melee, but now, it's borderline ridiculously strong which is held back by poor air speed which makes the range issue even more apparent and no protection from the front now. It's more of a nerf from Brawl to Smash 4 as the devs could have easily kept his old Bair and have the front hitbox always be a sour-spot get off me, but they chose not to for some reason.

Now, look at Kirby's Dair. It deals good damage, it spikes, and it can setup into stuff, but Kirby needs to deal with the startup. It's a good move, but not that good. Or maybe back then where people didn't really use Captain Falcon and Diddy's Dtilt. They might have been overlooked moves as there were other good moves and then you figure the Capt. can send someone at a shallow angle and Dtilt has a lot of range and that Diddy's Dtilt has little startup and little end lag allowing him to combo into it or combo to something else. The mains will believe in that power or lack of while outsiders can keep guessing or look into those moves.

it's the fact that fair pretty much dunks no matter where he hits it and it already has a large hitbox which irks me, bair isnt so much of an issue but dair still deals absurd amounts of damage and comes out at a fairly good speed, and it's hard to DI out of because of how little time you have before it ends.

Also, his absolute control of his eggs, while not a big issue, is still pretty annoying.
I'm pretty sure Yoshi and Mario's Fair have sour-spots that hits regularly instead of spiking.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Anyway, I guess it's cause Slush mains Yoshi and most mains if not all know their weaknesses, so when someone says, Yoshi's Dash Attack is annoying, Slush would argue it's punishable.
Shield it and Fsmash behind you.
110% guaranteed =)

I'm pretty sure Yoshi and Mario's Fair have sour-spots that hits regularly instead of spiking.
Pretty much, and then when you actually want sourspot to hit for the kill that you can never land, the sourspot never happens.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Welcome to the world of Falco where without something to seriously set up a combo, not even Fair's measly disjoint will catch unless someone's stupid enough to DI towards him. Falco's melee range on the ground is good if not silly with Ftilt, Dtilt, and Side Smash.

I'm considering a petition to bring Falco more in line with KoF's King. He's already got Venom Strike through Reflector and his Ftilt could count as being similar to King's Muay Thai, Savate, and whatever else she has. Would anyone like to see Falco perform a reverse Tornado Kick for his Bair that would at least cover him front and back while looking cool or an actual projectile custom for his Reflector? Yes, I'm desperate. :p

Anyway, I guess it's cause Slush mains Yoshi and most mains if not all know their weaknesses, so when someone says, Yoshi's Dash Attack is annoying, Slush would argue it's punishable. Dabuz is like this too with Rosalina and Seagull with Sonic. It's not so much as downplaying, but knowing your character enough to say what are their strengths and weaknesses and in some cases what people see as a massive strength might be an okay strength and what seems to be a weakness is actually a strength or even what people see is a strength is actually a weakness.

Falco's Bair is strong and people praised the Wolf Bair, but Wolf had air speed, low jump, and he already had a decent get off me Nair. Falco with Wolf's Bair is essentially removing the front hitbox since Falco's Bair was strong since Melee, but now, it's borderline ridiculously strong which is held back by poor air speed and no protection from the front now. It's more of a nerf from Brawl to Smash 4 as the devs could have easily kept his old Bair and the front hitbox always be a sour-spot get off me part of it, but they chose not to for some reason.

Now, look at Kirby's Dair. It deals good damage, it spikes, and it can setup into stuff, but Kirby needs to deal with the startup. It's a good move, but not that good. Or maybe back then where people didn't really use Captain Falcon and Diddy's Dtilt. They might have been overlooked moves as there were other good moves and then you figure the Capt. can send someone at a shallow angle and Dtilt has a lot of range and that Diddy's Dtilt has little startup and little end lag allowing him to combo into it or combo to something else. The mains will believe in that power or lack of while outsiders can keep guessing or look into those moves.

if his fair has a sour spot ive yet to see it cause ive only ever been dunked by it in every match ive played where yoshi lands one

it's such n easy offstage option since it's hard to punish and he has an easy time getting back to the stage

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Really, it's the same as Sanic discussion back then during brawl. Just Shield everything and you win :^)
HOW IS THIS TOP 3 CHARACTER NOT LOW TIER BY NOW?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom