• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Also curious about this. Fair is decently fast at 12 frames landing lag, but I can't seem to get it to autocancel.
It's a bit tricky to get down. IIRC I was able to AC with it by FFing at a certain point.

If I had to pick a definite worst character right now, I would go with Palutena.
Palutena has one of the best grab games out of the cast with reliable ways to get a grab. She also has one of the best Special Moves in the whole game. Super Speed. She has the best counter in the game from what I have heard. Or instead you can change Counter to Fireworks which has intangibility at the start-up. Or you can change it to Lightweight where she makes herself even more mobile then what she already is. Really good aerials. A fantastic Jab. Auto Reticle has absurd range. The last hit of Explosive Flame ignores shield. She also has the best reflector in the game arguably as well. Even on default moveset she ain't that bad.

Personally I think Olimar is the worst character right now. He was overly nerfed from Brawl in so many things. His recovery isn't that good of a buff, still pretty bad honestly. And his Pikmin are even more screwed up in this game. It mind boggling all the stupid **** the Pikmin do in this game (hope to god that is fixed in the Wii-U version).

#ButthurtovernerfedOlimar

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I am confused about your definition of air-to-ground. If you're talking about landing with an aerial with the hitbox active, I don't think any aerial autocancels like that.
That, or sufficiently close to the active frames that you'd still have a net gain vs simply hitting at the last possible moment and eating the full landing lag. I know of a couple options that fit or nearly fit this criteria, but the post I quoted implied it was fairly common.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think the worst character in the game is probably Mii Swordfighter. Also probably the biggest letdown for me as well.

What about Olimar is so bad right now aside from pikmin AI (which is a big deal with only 3 pikmin)? What did they change about his base moveset that makes him so awful?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not Olimar?
I'm very sceptical about Olimar actually being that bad. I don't trust a lot of people's opinions on these kinds of things and in Olimar's case I'm even more mistrusting. I mean, what the hell do we actually know about this character to make such a bold claim? Who actually knows the gist of the character yet and how it affects his matchups?

Can he really be worse than Doc? A character with awful range, footsie options, damage output, recovery and KO options? Other than the fact that he has a [pretty lousy] projectile he pretty much seems to be this game's equivalent to Brawl Ganondorf. He may actually be worse as Ganon was kinda scary to trade moves with or make a poor decision against. Even that doesn't seem to be too much of a problem against Doc. I just don't see ANYTHING that I could hold into his favor.

:059:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What about Olimar is so bad right now aside from pikmin AI (which is a big deal with only 3 pikmin)? What did they change about his base moveset that makes him so awful?
His non-pivot grabs are poor, and his throws do less damage and don't kill. This is the big thing.

His smashes seem lower priority and are easily reflected. U-smash seems way harder to hit with, and is his only good kill move.

Pikmin Toss does waaay less damage, even more of a nerf than most projectiles. The tackle version is okay but not compelling.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The biggest thing Olimar lost was the ability to quickly follow up on combos. If you remember, you can do a dthrow to a fair relatively easy at lower %. Now it seems like whenever you perform a dthrow, and there's no follow up after that because your opponent will be out of their hitstun by then. As far as characters go, he's been outclassed by many characters that can camp all day, like DHD, Rosalina + Luma, Angels, Palutena, etc. Out of everything that Olimar went through, the only benefit Olimar got was his recovery move, not that it helps because you left yourself wide open for your opponent to juggle you. So in a way, Olimar was better off with his old tether recovery.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Doc has good KO options in dunk, f smash, d smash, and up smash. Also reverse sex kick is really nice for him. Hr is slow and his recovery is poor, but he still has good comboing abilities. Up B OoS is also a good KO option. That said, I dont thinks hes more than mid tier, but idk if he is the worst. Personally I'd put him above Mario, Luigi, and a few others I can't think of right now for the life of me... Oh well. Maybe that's why they're low tier.

Also worth mentioning that Low Tier in this game isn't bad. Like the wosrst characters in this game I'd say are at least on like Melee Mario levels (not Doc) in terms of viability.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I feel like Doc at least has some "if it rains, it pours" going for him, not unlike Ganondorf. He clearly has kill power and damage potential.

And, unlike Brawl Ganondorf, it does sometimes rain for him. Having a projectile and reflector never hurt anybody.

Doc is like Luigi or DDD: "If this is a low-tier character, then I'm okay with what that means in this game."

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm very sceptical about Olimar actually being that bad. I don't trust a lot of people's opinions on these kinds of things and in Olimar's case I'm even more mistrusting. I mean, what the hell do we actually know about this character to make such a bold claim? Who actually knows the gist of the character yet and how it affects his matchups?

Can he really be worse than Doc? A character with awful range, footsie options, damage output, recovery and KO options? Other than the fact that he has a [pretty lousy] projectile he pretty much seems to be this game's equivalent to Brawl Ganondorf. He may actually be worse as Ganon was kinda scary to trade moves with or make a poor decision against. Even that doesn't seem to be too much of a problem against Doc. I just don't see ANYTHING that I could hold into his favor.

:059:
Doc's damage is actually not bad, especially factoring his 14% B-air. But his mobility and range are TERRIBLE, and he lacks good traps into KOs. But Olimar is probably more exploitable overall, especially in terms of dealing with juggles and being a lightweight character.

Ganondorf I'm increasingly thinking might surpass bottom 10, especially with his INCREDIBLE DACUS that actually gives him an approach option that is safe on block and probably able to chase techrolls out of Flame Choke. Outside of Sheik still trolling him by design, I honestly don't believe he has any seriously terrible matchups. Just the fact that Ganondorf can basically kill anyone almost instantly by successfully landing a hit offstage means nobody can afford to sleep on him.

I feel like Doc at least has some "if it rains, it pours" going for him, not unlike Ganondorf. He clearly has kill power and damage potential.

And, unlike Brawl Ganondorf, it does sometimes rain for him. Having a projectile and reflector never hurt anybody.

Doc is like Luigi or DDD: "If this is a low-tier character, then I'm okay with what that means in this game."
Luigi I actually don't know what to think of atm. His default Fireball is actually legit. It's a worse ZSS Paralyzer that's slightly more spammable and approximately about as safe on block.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I actually think Olimar's new Up B is significantly worse than the old one. It gets very little distance and it's also slow and easily intercepted. His recovery was crap in brawl due to the ledge mechanics, but in this game it would probably be pretty useful since you can't just grab ledge to keep him out anymore. It's also much quicker to snap to the ledge and it even had some value as an attack.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Yeah tethers are pretty good in this game because they're really hard to edgeguard now. They seem to be buffed in range and the just snap you the ledge almost instantly. Before you just had to grab the edge, but now you have to time an attack right in their path as they pull to the ledge, which they can just delay to avoid you.

NairWizard

Somewhere
To those comparing Olimar to Little Mac...the analogy isn't that straightforward.

Like Mac, Olimar has a super strong stage game and a poor recovery, that much is true, but as part of that super strong stage game Olimar also has fast and far-reaching grabs (the only tether grab without tether-grab-level lag) and one of the best camping games in the entire game. Nothing in Brawl was stronger than Purple Pikmin toss, and blue Pikmin had frankly absurd grab range. He did not need to approach you at all--you had to get in, which wasn't easy, and if you did manage to get in, he could just quickly grab you and throw you out. Olimar's recovery was bad if and only if you could get in for long enough to actually fight him and get him off the stage, and since that was so hard he was one of the best characters in Brawl. Consider that the best way to actually get a character off the stage is to throw that character--and it was very hard to get close enough to Olimar to throw him through a barrage of tossed Pikmin and disjointed smashes. If all else fails, he could just grab you first!

The same does not hold true for Little Mac. He does need to approach you if you have any kind of projectile, and his grab game isn't that strong. Actually, it's a little weak I'd say; the grab animation when it misses is especially laggy (though frame 1 jab makes up for that quite a bit; the timing for punishing Mac can be unforgiving because of that jab, which is a point in his favor), and his followups off of a grab aren't as incredible as Olimar's. Little Mac also doesn't gain much from throwing you away from him; he wants you to be close by so he can keep pressuring you.

To justify a poor recovery you must have a strong defensive game, in my view, and force people to approach you. If you are the one consistently forced to approach, then you are giving your opponent multiple opportunities to get you off stage.

Mac is all over that offense and footsies, but he doesn't know anything about pitching tents and roasting Smores. He's a prince at boxing but a pauper at camping.

Actually, that's not quite true, though the analogy sounded nice. If Mac gets the percent lead against characters with weak projectiles (because projectiles can be clanked with so easily in this game), he can camp them out pretty easily, and non-projectile characters like Bowser and Meta Knight are in for a rough time vs. Mac if they are behind. Mac also has this going for him: if you aren't playing perfectly against him, you will lose. His attacks are just too fast and unforgiving if you aren't on top of your game.

But overall I think that his recovery will seal him off from being in the top tiers, though he'll always be a threat that demands preparation.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Doc has good KO options in dunk, f smash, d smash, and up smash. Also reverse sex kick is really nice for him. Hr is slow and his recovery is poor, but he still has good comboing abilities. Up B OoS is also a good KO option. That said, I dont thinks hes more than mid tier, but idk if he is the worst. Personally I'd put him above Mario, Luigi, and a few others I can't think of right now for the life of me... Oh well. Maybe that's why they're low tier.
As someone who's been playing more doc than most others, i can really feel the nerfs set on him, but he's still a good character through it. I personally like to use Reverse sweetspot up B off stage to kill, it feels incredibly satisfying.
Also worth noting, The addition of a wall jump has done wonders for doc on applicable stages.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I actually think Olimar's new Up B is significantly worse than the old one. It gets very little distance and it's also slow and easily intercepted. His recovery was crap in brawl due to the ledge mechanics, but in this game it would probably be pretty useful since you can't just grab ledge to keep him out anymore. It's also much quicker to snap to the ledge and it even had some value as an attack.
His Up B has a ton of distance, if I recall its a tad short of Villagers. Granted he has to sacrifice his pikmin to do so which is kind of stupid. That and it has more start-up before it accelerates then Villagers. It Means he can go deep for a Gimp but at the same time yeah it's interceptable.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
What's everybody's thoughts on meta knight?
He's still a really good character, in my opinion. Even though they hit him hard with the nerf hammer, he still feels like a solid high-tier or upper-mid in my opinion.

Even though Up B is just a shell of it's former glory, it's a great OoS option from what I see and it kills Mario at 117% which isn't shabby at all for an OoS punish.

Neutral B still has good priority, still inferior to Brawl but that's not a bad thing. You can still kill with it if you catch people in the air which isn't too difficult to do.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That, or sufficiently close to the active frames that you'd still have a net gain vs simply hitting at the last possible moment and eating the full landing lag. I know of a couple options that fit or nearly fit this criteria, but the post I quoted implied it was fairly common.
There are a few for sure, Pikachu's down air and back air for sure (I get down air auto cancel into ftilt/down tilt with seeming impunity on shield).

What's everybody's thoughts on meta knight?
've played MK a lot this game. I genuinely feel he is in the lower tier region, even after thinking of him as being fine in the early stages. This character has no priority nor range (both come hand in hand, but considering this character once had transcended priority on everything), this is culminated in his low damage output on single hits. He can edgeguard/gimp well, but has nothing fearsome to get them there in the first place, and the better characters can still negate this heavily. Everything he has isn't safe on shield, everything and that's really concerning on a character with extremely low damage output and with a swordsman/spacing archetype.

What really clutches it for him throughout all of his nerfs is that his true strength, the air, is good but not good enough. I cannot up air juggle people or frame trap because nearly every character's down air has larger range. Their fast fall air dodges are not covered by immediate down airing like it was in Brawl, nor is hard punished with neutral air (an almost useless move in this iteration except in off stage "poking").

I really enjoy his different Up B, and respect there to be potential in his Side-B and Down-B. Tornado can still be a safe hit and run on shield if you accept the fact it is not shield pressure and you will die for thinking so.
Although he seems to have some cool niches/abilities in his specials now, from practise they're still all terrible (bar Up-B). Down-B doesn't seem to have invincibility as he comes out, nor on his attack; it does a lot of damage and is a pretty big hitbox but I cleanly lose to people throwing out attacks in the general area... Side-B and Tornado have negative priority, they lose to every attack I've seen, no matter what and although Tornado is meant to have an anti-projectile niche (as it says in its description) it's quite terrible at doing that when I don't think any projectile above 2-3% is phased by it.

His approach game is literally dash attack and dash grab only. It's a 50/50 mix up that opponent's can cover both options at the same time and punish us very hard for attempting them. Otherwise he has no means of going in or applying pressure unless they're above him (and are terrible in the air) or off stage. He might not be the poorest character in neutral in this game due to his ground speed, but he sure does have the least amount of reason to respect it.

The closest thing to a semblance of power and ability for MK in this game is down air spacing above people's heads. Five jumps, fast fall cancels into rising down air, and also the much easier footstool jumps (footstool jump on someone's shield into down air is guaranteed), but in general just holding shield or rolling away resets the situation in the negative for MK, he cannot fast fall to the ground, that's a lot of lag, nor has the mobility to chase you from the air if you choose to roll. Meh.

I kinda legitimately feel Mario is a better character than MK in nearly every single way bar off stage scenarios.

Last edited:

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
After about a month with the latest Super Smash Bros. (I love it so far, Brawl>Smash 3DS>Melee>64)

Here are the top 15 characters in the game imo (no order)

:rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4greninja::4diddy::4yoshi::4littlemac::4lucario::4duckhunt::4peach::4bowser::4dedede::4sonic::4ness::4falcon:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What do you guys think about :4littlemac: vs :4lucina:/:4marth: MU
Marth/Lucina's mid range option spread is amazing in comparison to Mac (or anyone really, still has some of the lowest risk range of tools out there, even if potency is less to the other "good" characters). Most newbie players of the swordsman are going to play with a close-range combat emphasis in mind and are going to get disemboweled for trying. Marth can react to and outspace all of Mac's mid range stuff, and has close to full impunity against his entire moveset with full hop retreating forward air.

Mac's mobility, momentum and CQC are really just that good, I don't need to reexplain those strengths to anyone here.
You're better off going to their boards though to ask, I've gone into a lot of depth about it.

tl;dr what marth can do at 2-3 swords length away/in 10 frames outnumbers Mac significantly. It's a shame we still eventually have to breach him in close range, but that's why we have down tilt, jab and full hop forward air and the very least I don't see how Mac's forcing the advantage from neutral with the right actions in mind.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
After about a month with the latest Super Smash Bros. (I love it so far, Brawl>Smash 3DS>Melee>64)

Here are the top 15 characters in the game imo (no order)

:rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4greninja::4diddy::4yoshi::4littlemac::4lucario::4duckhunt::4peach::4bowser::4dedede::4sonic::4ness::4falcon:
Dedede really sticks out if you ask me.

I think Fox, Villager, Wario (bias!) and Pika are very strong contenders.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Someone mentioned mii swordfighter being terrible, and by Sakurai does that ring true for me. I have never seen a character more awkward to use than the Swordsman. IMHO, hes right there with Olimar in the depths of bottom tier

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm wondering how Samus was finalized the way she is. She has so many design holes that most other characters in the game no longer have. Aerials are hard to land, Usmash often whiffs after the first hit, has the worst Jab in the game (you get punished for even using it), utilt is techable and thus punishable for even using, missiles have lag that implies they are very powerful as projectiles, down B bombs are super slow+laggy and don't detonate on hit (what's the point?), can't charge shots in mid-air, etc

Mii Gunner seems to have an improved and updated version of Samus's moveset that just works better.

I'm hoping I'm missing something because nothing seems to tie together.

The Samus boards feel like a desert, so it's hard to learn more about her.

Last edited:

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Part of me wants to believe people are sleeping on WFT. I'll say right now that she is no means an amazing character, but I use her as a close secondary and I believe she has potential. I always see people cramming her into Low Tier (hell, I saw some people labeling her as the worst in the game) and it's kinda baffling. A character with a great projectile(s), great mobility, good recovery can't be Low Tier. Her neutral game is butt, don't get me wrong, but if you know how to properly zone with the character, she can be a problem. She also has some silly stuff with soccerball on the ledge and is the only character that has 12 frames of landing lag out of an air dodge while everybody else has like 20+. She has her flaws, sure, but the pros can't go unnoticed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There are a few for sure, Pikachu's down air and back air for sure (I get down air auto cancel into ftilt/down tilt with seeming impunity on shield).

've played MK a lot this game. I genuinely feel he is in the lower tier region, even after thinking of him as being fine in the early stages. This character has no priority nor range (both come hand in hand, but considering this character once had transcended priority on everything), this is culminated in his low damage output on single hits. He can edgeguard/gimp well, but has nothing fearsome to get them there in the first place, and the better characters can still negate this heavily. Everything he has isn't safe on shield, everything and that's really concerning on a character with extremely low damage output and with a swordsman/spacing archetype.

What really clutches it for him throughout all of his nerfs is that his true strength, the air, is good but not good enough. I cannot up air juggle people or frame trap because nearly every character's down air has larger range. Their fast fall air dodges are not covered by immediate down airing like it was in Brawl, nor is hard punished with neutral air (an almost useless move in this iteration except in off stage "poking").

I really enjoy his different Up B, and respect there to be potential in his Side-B and Down-B. Tornado can still be a safe hit and run on shield if you accept the fact it is not shield pressure and you will die for thinking so.
Although he seems to have some cool niches/abilities in his specials now, from practise they're still all terrible (bar Up-B). Down-B doesn't seem to have invincibility as he comes out, nor on his attack; it does a lot of damage and is a pretty big hitbox but I cleanly lose to people throwing out attacks in the general area... Side-B and Tornado have negative priority, they lose to every attack I've seen, no matter what and although Tornado is meant to have an anti-projectile niche (as it says in its description) it's quite terrible at doing that when I don't think any projectile above 2-3% is phased by it.

His approach game is literally dash attack and dash grab only. It's a 50/50 mix up that opponent's can cover both options at the same time and punish us very hard for attempting them. Otherwise he has no means of going in or applying pressure unless they're above him (and are terrible in the air) or off stage. He might not be the poorest character in neutral in this game due to his ground speed, but he sure does have the least amount of reason to respect it.

The closest thing to a semblance of power and ability for MK in this game is down air spacing above people's heads. Five jumps, fast fall cancels into rising down air, and also the much easier footstool jumps (footstool jump on someone's shield into down air is guaranteed), but in general just holding shield or rolling away resets the situation in the negative for MK, he cannot fast fall to the ground, that's a lot of lag, nor has the mobility to chase you from the air if you choose to roll. Meh.

I kinda legitimately feel Mario is a better character than MK in nearly every single way bar off stage scenarios.
Man...you're killing me. I feel like you're doing this deliberately.

D-throw Tornado does HUGE damage, and isn't super hard to either combo or trap people into. Tornado is still a GOOD move, but mostly as a PUNISH, rather than an all purpose win button anti-zoning tool. Mario can't confirm damage like Metaknight off throws without Explosive Jump Punch.

Down-B gets you out of various traps pretty easily. Can be used to trap landings for vertical KOs, and Metaknight never needs to worry about this move being stale. Compare to Mario who sacrifices a lot of control and utility by trying to keep U-smash fresh as a KO move.

Metaknight's tilts are still annoyingly fast, just not broken. Superior run speed for grabs and blitzing with F-air is a very significant advantage Mario doesn't have.

They both suck at getting KOs in this game, I won't deny that. But Metaknight gets past zoning more easily, builds damage better if he uses Tornado correctly in punish situations, has better moves for covering options (Mario doesn't have a real F-air or D-air), and is BY FAR better at escaping traps.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering how Samus was finalized the way she is. She has so many design holes that most other characters in the game no longer have. Aerials are hard to land, Usmash often whiffs after the first hit, has the worst Jab in the game (you get punished for even using it), utilt is techable and thus punishable for even using, missiles have lag that implies they are very powerful as projectiles, down B bombs are super slow+laggy and don't detonate on hit (what's the point?), can't charge shots in mid-air, etc

Mii Gunner seems to have an improved and updated version of Samus's moveset that just works better.
I'm hoping I'm missing something because nothing seems to tie together.

The Samus boards feel like a desert, so it's hard to learn more about her.
She was even worse in Brawl. I generally agree with your criticism, but she's not that bad in my opinion. Except the missiles thing, they're slow because they're a zoning tool, not a killing tool. She's definitely not good, but I really like her the way she is now. I feel like they should give her her Brawl zair and nair back, a functioning jab, and maybe some more kill power on her dtilt, but other than that she's not that bad. Though I'm obviously biased because I'm so used to her.

I think she's in a place where they can't really change a lot about her because of how long she's been around, leaving a lot of weird stuff in her moveset.

JoseStriker

Smash Rookie
Actually Mac can hit Marth out of a retreating fair with his up tilted fsmash

I think they put him that exactly for characters in the air in that angle.

Also ftilt is a 4 frames moves that clanks with Marth fsmash.

And jab is a 1 frame move that clanks with Marth ftilt

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Actually Mac can hit Marth out of a retreating fair with his up tilted fsmash

I think they put him that exactly for characters in the air in that angle.
Actually, from a full hop he cannot. Take the time to think about the implications of such emphasis that I put on specific phrasing. FULL HOP RISING RETREATING FORWARD AIR. Not "retreating forward air". He does not have a single move nor mobility, even from out of a power shield from what I've seen, to punish it. Horizontally and vertically, the distance covered is well out of Mac's arsenal. Marth's forward air vertically, out spaces every single one of Mac's moves, you aren't beating that single action, you're beating it by hard reading his landing from it. Something Marth still has the positional advantage for, and aims to play the match up in such a way that he's baiting you into actually trying to challenge it.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up CQC options otherwise. Why am I fsmashing to beat your ftilt, or ftilting to beat your jab (which I'm pretty sure the range and damage difference actually does plainly out prioritise it).

Man...you're killing me. I feel like you're doing this deliberately.
It was semi-deliberate, but I suppose it's because Mario came to mind when thinking about him. I've struggled a lot more dealing with Mario than MK. He is a feeble character not up to scratch in this game. I see Mario winning match ups, I don't see MK winning anything against anyone. There are no strengths for MK to really abuse, very little that the opponent has to respect from him. If I feel like I never have to shield against MK because getting hit doesn't mean anything, that's bad, if I feel like actually shielding and he hits it with anything but down air while in the air, he's taking a sub 10 frame OoS punish. That's very very very bad. If your normals/footsies are dealing around 10 damage, you're likely out prioritising all of MK's normals in trades, when he's an extremely light ****.

I won't deny MK still has a better "design" than Mario, but eh, I just don't see anyone being competitively successful with MK this game and I'm yet to feel that confidence with Mario.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It was semi-deliberate, but I suppose it's because Mario came to mind when thinking about him. I've struggled a lot more dealing with Mario than MK. He is a feeble character not up to scratch in this game. I see Mario winning match ups, I don't see MK winning anything against anyone. There are no strengths for MK to really abuse, very little that the opponent has to respect from him. If I feel like I never have to shield against MK because getting hit doesn't mean anything, that's bad, if I feel like actually shielding and he hits it with anything but down air while in the air, he's taking a sub 10 frame OoS punish. That's very very very bad. If your normals/footsies are dealing around 10 damage, you're likely out prioritising all of MK's normals in trades, when he's an extremely light ****.

I won't deny MK still has a better "design" than Mario, but eh, I just don't see anyone being competitively successful with MK this game and I'm yet to feel that confidence with Mario.
I'm pretty certain Metaknight still does really well against heavies like DK and Bowser, who get trapped for free by Tornado and other things, and he penetrates their defenses easily with grabs. He doesn't invalidate them this game, but the same things mostly still are effective.

I would speculate by design he also has pretty good matchups against Ness and Little Mac considering especially MK's strong edgeguarding and practical aerials.

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
I feel like Mario is really good in this game. He does so much damage during all his combos. It totally doesn't matter that his footsies aren't that great. Too bad FLUDD still sucks, but at least he has good kill power. What do you guys think?

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Mario is really good in this game. He does so much damage during all his combos. It totally doesn't matter that his footsies aren't that great. Too bad FLUDD still sucks, but at least he has good kill power. What do you guys think?
You might wanna go back and read the last... uhh... entire thread. IMO, Mario is fine. Not great, but good. He's kind of just... Mario, still. But I know that there are a lot of strongly mixed opinions here. And also that we should probably stray away from Mario talk. Now, Bowser Jr. on the other hand... I'd really love to see some more in depth discussion of this strange little beast. There's been a lot of *shrug* and "he's an enigma," but not too much talk overall.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, even though he has a tether grab, Bowser Jr does have some insane item tossing exploits and ridiculous aerials for edgeguarding (D-air and Up-B...seriously).

His tilts and Jab are also quite good too. Probably a solid character.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's really hard for me to talk about competitive character impressions without including custom moves in the equation. A lot of the characters you guys seem to think are low/mid tier material have a lot of good tools at their disposal in the custom move-pool. It's not that they have more to gain from a larger move-pool because they are worse characters, but instead that their better custom moves make their play-style flow smoothly, and add depth.

This is a pretty large generalization, but they took a lot of the Brawl characters and across the board increased their movespeed, increased their landing lag, normalized ranges, and normalized projectile strengths (with an overall nerf). Of course outliers exist, but generally this is the case.

You'll find that these rather consistent design points ended up buffing and nerfing your favorites from Brawl. Look at each of those changes and examine how they relate to each character you have in mind. The ones that were nerfed from the changes probably have some pretty great custom options, while the better characters not so much.

This is only speculation, but it feels as if the dev team purposely left some of their default kits weaker in order to preserve their old feel, and then tried to balance them using custom specials. It's EXCITING to see the transition of a Brawl character that doesn't fit into Smash4's engine turn into one that has a place because of the addition of custom specials.

----------------------

Most tournaments right now ban custom moves. I haven't talked to every TOs out there, obviously, but I can presume they're banned right now simply because it's a new concept. Players don't know all of the moves yet. Players don't want to grind for them on the 3ds; they'd much rather dive into competitive play. And it simply hasn't been the status quo. It's easy to ban them and avoid a fuss, at least until they're more readily understood, and we can more confidently analyze the implications of their inclusion.

Judging by the direction it's headed, though, custom moves will probably be legal much more widespread sometime after the Wii-U version comes out, after which point we can transfer moves to consoles easily. I'm confident we won't see much resistance once people understand the development team's general formulas and trends.

Some of these custom move trends include following:
  • stronger but slower/less range
  • faster/further reach but no hitbox/weaker
  • piercing projectile but weaker
  • slower projectile but stronger
  • faster projectile but weaker
For a majority of the moves (and I've seen them all), it's pretty basic stuff. They all have their tradeoffs. None seem imbalanced or too centralizing. And if something turns up, there's an easy way to get rid of it.

I understand some tournament series won't adopt custom move legal rulesets regardless, but they are worth seriously considering when it comes to strengths and weaknesses, matchups, and tier list placement and discussion. I encourage you guys to look them up if you don't have the patience to unlock them all.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It's really hard for me to talk about competitive character impressions without including custom moves in the equation. A lot of the characters you guys seem to think are low/mid tier material have a lot of good tools at their disposal in the custom move-pool. It's not that they have more to gain from a larger move-pool because they are worse characters, but instead that their better custom moves make their play-style flow smoothly, and add depth.

This is a pretty large generalization, but they took a lot of the Brawl characters and across the board increased their movespeed, increased their landing lag, normalized ranges, and normalized projectile strengths (with an overall nerf). Of course outliers exist, but generally this is the case.

You'll find that these rather consistent design points ended up buffing and nerfing your favorites from Brawl. Look at each of those changes and examine how they relate to each character you have in mind. The ones that were nerfed from the changes probably have some pretty great custom options, while the better characters not so much.

This is only speculation, but it feels as if the dev team purposely left some of their default kits weaker in order to preserve their old feel, and then tried to balance them using custom specials. It's EXCITING to see the transition of a Brawl character that doesn't fit into Smash4's engine turn into one that has a place because of the addition of custom specials.

----------------------

Most tournaments right now ban custom moves. I haven't talked to every TOs out there, obviously, but I can presume they're banned right now simply because it's a new concept. Players don't know all of the moves yet. Players don't want to grind for them on the 3ds; they'd much rather dive into competitive play. And it simply hasn't been the status quo. It's easy to ban them and avoid a fuss, at least until they're more readily understood, and we can more confidently analyze the implications of their inclusion.

Judging by the direction it's headed, though, custom moves will probably be legal much more widespread sometime after the Wii-U version comes out, after which point we can transfer moves to consoles easily. I'm confident we won't see much resistance once people understand the development team's general formulas and trends.

Some of these custom move trends include following:
  • stronger but slower/less range
  • faster/further reach but no hitbox/weaker
  • piercing projectile but weaker
  • slower projectile but stronger
  • faster projectile but weaker
For a majority of the moves (and I've seen them all), it's pretty basic stuff. They all have their tradeoffs. None seem imbalanced or too centralizing. And if something turns up, there's an easy way to get rid of it.

I understand some tournament series won't adopt custom move legal rulesets regardless, but they are worth seriously considering when it comes to strengths and weaknesses, matchups, and tier list placement and discussion. I encourage you guys to look them up if you don't have the patience to unlock them all.
That's for a different thread. Custom Moves are on their way to being legal, we just all need our time to get used to things. For Glory is practice mode, and we can't do much practice with customs there, so the current meta is very non-customs-centric because the meta is very young and we're stuck on the 3ds. And not enough people use things like http://www.reddit.com/r/SmashConnect :p

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Can everyone who actually tried out every single character with every single custom move please raise your hand.

Just you Ninjalink?

YEA THE REST OF YALL NEED TO SIT THE HELL DOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom