• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
More viable then who though?

Also how do you define viable? For me viable = can place top 8 at a major CONSISTENTLY.

I feel confident when I say Lucina cannot do this. Neither can Marth for that matter.

Steam

Smash Hero
2 things

1) In the end its going to come down to match-ups. Who does Lucario beat and why. He MIGHT beat Sheik. Who else? I think Diddy beats him. ZSS as well. Maybe Sonic. Losing to 3 of the 4 best chars in the game does not bode well. I think the Pits beat him too for the record. I feel anyone that can exert dominance over him in neutral which is not THAT difficult because his tools are kind of limited will give him a hard time.

2) Mark my words on this day. ZSS, Sheik, and Diddy are the strongest in the game and they have a ton of room to grow. Give it 6 months. They WILL invalidate half the cast if not more.

he goes even at worst with sheik, and loses to the other 3 but not terribly. that shouldn't come as a huge surprise as those characters beat a lot of people. And having played pink fresh I actually think the pit matchup is even or in lucario's favor slightly. Luc's worst matchups are fox and ness, who are bad but not god awful enough to send him flying down the tier list like D3 did to a lot of the brawl cast. And assuming the top tiers will only get better is underestimating the rest of the characters in the game, A lot of stuff can change as players get better. The huge nerfs to diddy's banana peels really hurt his growth potential as the metagame develops.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
What you did sounds like the frame cancel Falco can do with his Dair.

Is this what this is then, a frame cancelled Pika Fair? Or is it different?
Hmm it is different but this is interesting! Ill have to check it out.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387

Also how do you define viable? For me viable = can place top 8 at a major CONSISTENTLY.

I feel confident when I say Lucina cannot do this. Neither can Marth for that matter.
Like to me Match ups aren't even that important. If you are more skilled than the other player than that's it. So really I should have said that I don't believe in tier list.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

I don't see how viable could mean anything other than being good enough to actually win a major. That's the goal, isn't it? I mean, I could see a few characters consistently placing 7th in Melee tourneys with sufficiently skilled representation and the right bracket but not being able to beat out any of the existing Melee "gods", and I would not consider said characters viable because they have a clear ceiling which falls short of actually being able to win it all.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Are we really arguing what each person conciders viable? This is a very opinionated topic. Good luck getting anything productive from this.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
DewDaDash just won against Ryo's Ike in GF on the Gainesville tournament Hungrybox's twitch channel streamed. The Diddy was the most grab-happy Diddy I've seen yet, yet it won a tournament. They're discussing how base-level most Diddy play is and how mindless it can be to win as him, compared to other characters. @hungrybox is talking about it now.

Something we usually talk about, but it's clearly unanimously agreed upon within the community. Not good to shame Diddy players of course, but that doesn't mean Diddy isn't easier to play at a successful level than other characters.

Hungrybox is also talking about how Smash 4 is difficult to learn and master from a melee player's perspective - due to the matchup knowledge you require (with 50~ characters to learn matchups for inside and out) and such. Also that there are multiple techs in Smash 4 that are important and legitimate. Pretty awesome positive statements from one of the biggest Melee players.

Also, question for the thread:

What is it about Ike that makes us feel he's viable, that Marth doesn't have/can't do? We're used to Ike kind of being non-viable at higher levels, and now with his changes and the way he works we feel he's more solid and viable as a solomain. He's seen some results too. But how much, objectively speaking, does Ike have over Marth that makes him understood as 'viable' while Marth is understood to be 'non-viable'?

In smash 4, Marth doesn't have the safety of aerial-walling any more, but to me this means you gotta play him basically the way you'd play ike. Substitute Ike's jab with Marth's dtilt, ftilt, grab, or DB and there's not much else, to me, that makes the two characters SUPER different. Marth is a faster archetype while Ike is a slower archetype, but both seem balanced together with Ike definitely not seeming much stronger than Marth.

Marth isn't a character you can wall with any more in Smash 4 by tossing out aerials in neutral without hitting - whenever you do (to bait, usually), you put yourself in a disadvantaged state. Ike works this way too, but I think it's much more obvious that you shouldn't be tossing aerials out constantly with him. Meanwhile for Marth, the opposite is true - you want to play him like in melee/brawl, but it just wont work and won't be safe. Ike promotes a safer playstyle, but I think you have to play basically the same way with Marth. It's just less obvious to realise.

This makes Marth actually look less problematic/crappy in my view - if Ike can be viable, Marth likely can too. Their matchups likely share a lot of similar strengths/weaknesses. When it comes to Marth, players just have to play safer and smarter, the way you have to as Ike if you don't want to get punished.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be quite honest you prolly won't need to know 50 Match ups, we just need to know everything past... let's say the pits (which're usually in mid b tier or top of that on peoples tierlists) to be successful in most tournaments.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike can be aggressive: Decent grab game, good jab, solid aerials that auto-cancel, and a lot of kill power. His recovery is pretty good and he has a lot of range, and he's actually surprisingly fast.

Marth has the better mobility but he doesn't have the moveset to be aggressive like Ike can. If Marth can't wall his opponents out he usually loses the match-up.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
2) Mark my words on this day. ZSS, Sheik, and Diddy are the strongest in the game and they have a ton of room to grow. Give it 6 months. They WILL invalidate half the cast if not more.
*Possibly, in a competitive environment without custom moves.

Figured I would throw that out there and remind people about that.

Regardless of characters being "invalidated" and "inevitability", I can already tell that Smash 4 will have the most diversity in concerns to the amount of characters being valuable/viable at the highest levels of play. And even if it does become a slight issue (especially in regards to Diddy and Sheik), Smash 4's ace-in-the-hole is that it has custom moves. Something no other Smash game has, which opens up more doors and possibilities in regards to this game's competitive environment and overall balance in the future.

...once that time comes around, anyways. But it will, and that is something that you can mark my words on this day.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
DewDaDash just won against Ryo's Ike in GF on the Gainesville tournament Hungrybox's twitch channel streamed.
Ah, awesome! What character did he pl-
The Diddy was the most grab-happy Diddy I've seen yet, yet it won a tournament.

Hungrybox is also talking about how Smash 4 is difficult to learn and master from a melee player's perspective - due to the matchup knowledge you require (with 50~ characters to learn matchups for inside and out) and such. Also that there are multiple techs in Smash 4 that are important and legitimate. Pretty awesome positive statements from one of the biggest Melee players.
Well that's good at least. Need more positivity, or should I say less negativity, after some of the behavior at apex.

What is it about Ike that makes us feel he's viable, that Marth doesn't have/can't do? We're used to Ike kind of being non-viable at higher levels, and now with his changes and the way he works we feel he's more solid and viable as a solomain. He's seen some results too. But how much, objectively speaking, does Ike have over Marth that makes him understood as 'viable' while Marth is understood to be 'non-viable'?
I want to say he's not really viable, but I haven't played a good Ike yet. Something about his aerials being safe on shield if used wisely? Close combat (and other customs) being amazing? Bigger sword than marth, without feeling much laggier? Better options up close and better throw combos? A more viable recovery than in brawl?

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Tierlist are funny tho. I mean seriously all it takes is 1 person with a mid tier character to place high at a major then it shakes up everything again. Diddy and sheik may be dominating the meta but there is someone somewhere playing a mid tier character like peach for example who goes to a tourney and places high beating a few top tier characters and then the meta can shift. All this to take into account and this gsme could get re balanced as well.

Conda

I want to say he's not really viable, but I haven't played a good Ike yet. Something about his aerials being safe on shield if used wisely? Close combat (and other customs) being amazing? Bigger sword than marth, without feeling much laggier? Better options up close and better throw combos? A more viable recovery than in brawl?
Let's not be quick to value Ike's brute power too heavily over Marth's speed. Both are valuable, and I can't see why Ike's characteristics are undeniably better than Math's characteristics.

Ike's good for sure, not saying he isn't. I'm saying for each one of the things he has over Marth, Marth has aspects that Ike doesn't have. They're both different. We tend to get excited over Ike, but his dominance in tournament matches comes from swordsman characteristics - disjoints, speed, power. Marth has these, just a different flavour. I think Marth is likely harder to play, though, as speed-tilted characters often are.

Marth's speed is important as speed ever is for high level play. Ike is fast too, but Marth has a different kind of speed available to him that lets him do different things. Are the things Marth can do strictly worse than what Ike can do? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Ike is fantastic, but it's not like he's been buffed to the point of being akin to what Marth used to be in melee/brawl. Marth is still the only Marth-like character, and his moveset/options has always worked out well competitively. It's not easy, though, and it never has been.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Capable of winning majors consistently is more about players than characters though. How many players in the scene are even capable of winning majors? It seems likely smaller than 51. If we assume every player mains just one character, that means that not every character would be expected to be "able" to win majors even if the game's balance were truly perfect. With the game being a real game with imperfect balance, you see several of the stronger players using the same characters as well; the strongest players usually gravitate to the very tip top tiers with time just to squeeze every last ounce of advantage they can get out of the game. It's likely they could still win using a variety of other characters but will never choose to do so. Does that make those characters not viable?

To me, a viable character is a character that won't be the primary reason players who main that character lose sets with other players roughly on their level. Viable characters are the characters it's not just a mistake to pick, and while all of the previous smash games have done a generally bad job on balance and had most of their casts not really viable, I think 4 got it mostly right, especially in the customs environment I choose to believe we'll inevitably see as the future standard.

Conda

Some good Marth play by the great Mr E. http://youtu.be/lJDnfD9kUuU?t=5m22s

To bring up Peach as well as Marth - what is holding her back? Is it that she's hard to learn (but worth it cause she's amazeballs), or because she's likely not worth learning (because she's not actually amazeballs enough to be worth the effort compared to many other characters)?

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014

Marth isn't a character you can wall with anymore by tossing out aerials. Any time you toss an aerial out without hitting, or even the clear intent to hit (ie when you're trying to bait), you put yourself in a disadvantaged state. Ike works this way too, but I think it's much more obvious that you shouldn't be tossing aerials out constantly with him. Meanwhile for Marth, the opposite is true - you want to play him like in melee/brawl, but it just wont work and won't be safe. Ike promotes a safer playstyle, but I think you have to play basically the same way with Marth. It's just less obvious to realise.

This makes Marth actually look less problematic/crappy in my view - if Ike can be viable, Marth likely can too. Their matchups likely share a lot of similar strengths/weaknesses. When it comes to Marth, players just have to play safer and smarter, the way you have to as Ike if you don't want to get punished.
I'm actually curious about this myself. Admittedly, I did question his viability once, mainly before the update. This may be a bold statement, but the Ike you are seeing now almost fully eclipses his SSBB incarnation.

His attributes have been strengthened overall, notably his ground and aerial mobility. The increased air speed could help him approach characters more effectively as well as aid his horizontal recovery; this offsets the nerfed forward horizontal movement in Aether. A higher double jump further aids his recovery and also makes it easier to ledge-hop his aerials. Altogether, Ike can now be played a bit more aggressively and is less reliant on making reads.

Concerning his moveset, he may have lost his potent Jab, but it still has its uses. F-tilt is more useful now due to it being faster and can pivot. B-air is still a fast, yet deadly attack, retaining its auto-cancel property and use with RAR. Although the range on his F-air was nerfed from SSBB, he gains another auto-cancelled aerial with reduced start-up, which improves spacing, baiting, and even stringing together attacks. When paired with D-tilt's vastly improved start-up and new vertical knockback trajectory, this can lead to easy strings, or even combos, that are especially effective against heavies. I have these demonstrated in the following video.

Ike's strengths in this iteration are clear, but so too are his weaknesses. He retains his rather large hurtbox, though it is smaller compared to most heavies. His recovery, while improved, is still about average, and his attacks are still overall slower than much of the cast. He was already viable in SSBB, being able to keep up with some of its top tiers. Ike in SSB4 has been drastically improved thanks to buffs coming from both the update (i.e. F-air, D-tilt) and SSB4's mechanics (i.e. Rage, removal of ledge-hogging). All of this, especially Rage, more than compensate for his power reduction. His viability now depends largely on his match-ups against the perceived top and high tiers. If Ike can take on the characters in these tiers without too much struggle, it may be safe to say he is viable.

I have not much to say about Ike in comparison to Marth, but the latter's moveset is, of course, overall faster but with lower damage output than Ike's. Despite Marth's nerfs, the tippers remain strong. Both Marth and Ike would be safest when spacing their attacks, especially aerials. Their similarities may yield similar match-up spreads.

^-^

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Heh? I don't get on how Luigi is Top 10. Sure, high tier. But I don't think he has the power to make it to Top 10 (Though, I'm no Luigi expert, so I may be wrong) simply because his mobility hurts him SO MUCH. Mobility matters THAT much in this game.

Someone please enlighten me if I am wrong (Yeah, played too much Dream Team) though.

Funny, I haven't had much problem with Villager lately. I guess they aren't spamming those dang slingshots enough. Though, my strategy when ecountering a wild Villager:

Bum rushes him down, Fireballs his Rockets, dodge his slingshots(?), get away when he plants a seed, literally dash attack through his Tree (Yes, if he hasn't cut it down yet), then when I get on him, go ham.

Not sure on how I win with this strategy. I guess those all are bad Villagers..... or is it just me that is lucky?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The thing about it is that the characters in Smash 4 are actually good enough for matchup knowledge to be required for low tiers. A good player could legitimately lose to Nairo's Zelda in bracket for not knowing the matchup, while a character like Melee Kirby or Brawl Ganon could generally be shut down by any high tier executing said character's gameplan without any real regard for the opposing character's options. Right now hardly anybody has a high-level matchup understanding of any character, but as the meta develops more people will be forced to get good at the Diddy and Sheik matchups, while far fewer will bother to learn the Zelda and G&W MUs, and when the advantage a high-tier has over a low tier is only 60-40 low tier upsets are possible, even if actually winning the whole thing is unlikely due to the sheer difficulty of slogging through a long series of bad MUs, with or without the advantage of MU knowledge, as well as the fact that most top players will gravitate toward top characters for obvious reasons.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I heard recently that M. Bison (Dictator) in Street Fighter 4 has never won a major across any of its updates over the past six to seven years, in spite of generally being regarded as somewhere between mid to high tier. He seems to have the tools to win it all, but just never has. A number of characters might fall into a similar boat in Smash 4, and arguably someone like Falcon is similar in Melee, but being viable and actually getting those results can be two different things, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Heh? I don't get on how Luigi is Top 10. Sure, high tier. But I don't think he has the power to make it to Top 10 (Though, I'm no Luigi expert, so I may be wrong) simply because his mobility hurts him SO MUCH. Mobility matters THAT much in this game.

Someone please enlighten me if I am wrong (Yeah, played too much Dream Team) though.

Funny, I haven't had much problem with Villager lately. I guess they aren't spamming those dang slingshots enough. Though, my strategy when ecountering a wild Villager:

Bum rushes him down, Fireballs his Rockets, dodge his slingshots(?), get away when he plants a seed, literally dash attack through his Tree (Yes, if he hasn't cut it down yet), then when I get on him, go ham.

Not sure on how I win with this strategy. I guess those all are bad Villagers..... or is it just me that is lucky?
Luigi, like many characters, has a lot of untapped potential. BEAST V, the largest European tournament to date, was won by a Luigi player. Unfortunately, we have too many bandwagoners who only feel confident using the top tier characters so other characters lack the rep they deserve and the metagame feels centralized and imbalanced. Hence, why people often root for the underdog.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Let's not be quick to value Ike's brute power too heavily over Marth's speed.
The irony is that Ike's not all that slow in this game and Marth actually kills faster with tippered F-Smash.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Like to me Match ups aren't even that important. If you are more skilled than the other player than that's it. So really I should have said that I don't believe in tier list.
Thanks for telling me that. Now I know not to take you seriously.

Also saying you don't believe in tier list is akin to saying you don't believe the Earth is round. Believe whatever you wish. Doesn't make you any less incorrect.

And match-ups aren't that important? My goodness. I truly have no more words. I think I will take a break from this thread.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Weird thing with Luigi - a large majority of his combo moves are practically a perfect complement towards his floaty physics. It's a strange scenario where a character with terrible air mobility is almost perfectly able to sustain most of their moves because of it. Getting a 30-40% combo is trivially easy when it comes to him; comboing FAir is as brain dead as the Hoo Haa, the NAir is a sucker punch of a move, and he has a deal of moves that kill fairly easy. Fire balls provide good coverage and he also doesn't have that many issues in regards to recovery options.

The problem really is having to get used to the awkward traction, but the surprising thing is how he gets by without them, and in some cases, makes for a more unpredictable game plan because of it. I'm not sure if I'd put him in the top 5, but I do feel he's easily a top 10. I was tempted to claim that Mario was the better brother because he has a much easier time in approach options but Luigi has just that much more payoff and socks you in the face when you least expect it.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
All righty guys, two days ago my body finally realized APEX had no Villagers and I got sick, so now I'm going to respond to a few things.
@ Conda Conda , Cobbs, the best way to deal with that strat is to walk just enough distance to not get hit by villagers normals and shield. If Villager keeps scrooging you most characters can run to the other side and D-tilt them while they're off the edge or you could CP Villager and play smash potato

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord that is an incredibly bold statement that I doubt will happen. You are implying that the rest of the cast cannot grow and thus will be invalidated. I mean Ik for a fact that Pac-Man mains still aren't too sure about optimizing bonus fruits, just imagine how scary they'll be when they do.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Some good Marth play by the great Mr E. http://youtu.be/lJDnfD9kUuU?t=5m22s

To bring up Peach as well as Marth - what is holding her back? Is it that she's hard to learn (but worth it cause she's amazeballs), or because she's likely not worth learning (because she's not actually amazeballs enough to be worth the effort compared to many other characters)?
I think its just not enough representation for her. She has good tools I don't think anyone has found a creative way how to use them against the top 2 characters. Other wise she is fine with a few iffy match ups.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Weird thing with Luigi - a large majority of his combo moves are practically a perfect complement towards his floaty physics. It's a strange scenario where a character with terrible air mobility is almost perfectly able to sustain most of their moves because of it. Getting a 30-40% combo is trivially easy when it comes to him; comboing FAir is as brain dead as the Hoo Haa, the NAir is a sucker punch of a move, and he has a deal of moves that kill fairly easy. Fire balls provide good coverage and he also doesn't have that many issues in regards to recovery options.

The problem really is having to get used to the awkward traction, but the surprising thing is how he gets by without them, and in some cases, makes for a more unpredictable game plan because of it. I'm not sure if I'd put him in the top 5, but I do feel he's easily a top 10. I was tempted to claim that Mario was the better brother because he has a much easier time in approach options but Luigi has just that much more payoff and socks you in the face when you least expect it.
Thing is with Luigi his gameplan during neutral is so linear you do expect when he has the ability to knock your socks off. Luigi's mobility is decent: Not bad, but worth noting that it's a weakness when you take into account he doesn't have the versatility to mix up his approaches beyond using Cyclone.

What makes Luigi so good isn't his reward but rather how strong his moveset is at catching up in damage and how much better he is at killing you. As stated, his set-ups off D-throw (which is legitimately far more important to him than Diddy's) are almost guaranteed in every situation and a good Luigi will almost always kill you from them, and in this game, having a guaranteed anything is a large boon for a character. But if he can't grab you Luigi legitimately struggles because the only other way he's going to combo you is with N-air and good luck getting that in during neutral.

Luigi's recovery is only amazing if you can do Jumpless Cyclone, which is something that only special humans can do. Otherwise his recovery does have holes in it and is exploitable.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
All righty guys, two days ago my body finally realized APEX had no Villagers and I got sick, so now I'm going to respond to a few things.
@ Conda Conda , Cobbs, the best way to deal with that strat is to walk just enough distance to not get hit by villagers normals and shield. If Villager keeps scrooging you most characters can run to the other side and D-tilt them while they're off the edge or you could CP Villager and play smash potato

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord that is an incredibly bold statement that I doubt will happen. You are implying that the rest of the cast cannot grow and thus will be invalidated. I mean Ik for a fact that Pac-Man mains still aren't too sure about optimizing bonus fruits, just imagine how scary they'll be when they do.
You named Pac-man, a character that CLEARLY has TONS of room to grow.

I can name random characters that have little to no room to grow.

Kirby

See? I can play this game too.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
You named Pac-man, a character that CLEARLY has TONS of room to grow.

I can name random characters that have little to no room to grow.

Kirby

See? I can play this game too.
Well I was saying characers like Pac-Man won't be invalidated so i guess that means we're agreeing?
I mean i'm not some blind fool who thinks that everyone will be viable (I got off Swordfighter for a reason) but only 3 characters invalidating the rest of the cast? Which includes Pac-Man who you just said has tons of room to grow? I'm really not buying that claim.

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
His mobility is more of a problem on larger stages like FD, but less of a problem on smaller stages like BF. There's only a few match ups where his mobility is truly debilitating, and even then, depending on the stage it might not be a big deal.

I guess those all are bad Villagers..... or is it just me that is lucky?
I am pretty sure those are bad Villagers. A well played Villager shuts out Luigi pretty hard by living on the edge and putting down his own woods to go camping in. Other than that, Duck Hunt/Pac-Man/Yoshi can camp Luigi on FD quite annoyingly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
A character that literally has about 10 moves in one and those attacks haven't been explored and no one is even playing him optimally is not included in my statement. Seriously no one thus far is willing to lame hard with Pac-man which imo is how he should be played. Drop trampoline in center stage then hydrant behind it and whip out those fruit, to cover various angles of approach.

But there are many characters that don't have these crazy meta altering tools nor do they have this insane hidden potential. Look at Lucina and Marth as well. What you see is what you get. They are fundamental chars. They live and die by their decisions in neutral. They don't have a grab game or any hit/kill confirms. They are at their limit.

A character's potential isn't some special hidden variable that we cannot interpret or analyze. It's based on their tools and how those tools works together.

A character who's tools we still don't understand has room to grow. A character whos tools work in many different ways still has room to grow. The top chars have so much great synergy with their tools and can play anyway they want, this is why they still have untapped potential. Sheik's burst grenades for example which were originally shunned by higher level players actually have great use in ledge traps and landing traps. She has a move that hasn't been fully tapped and she is considered top 2 just based off her strong neutral and amazing frame data.

Do you mean to tell me that someone like Zelda will be able to compete with her alter ego given enough time? How? Her baseline tools simply aren't good enough. Phantom remains untapped fully, but she has crippling flaws. No amount of tech can save a character with a poor foundation, unless that tech is incredibly broken or insane. I do not forsee something like that appearing to help out the weaker chars. ESPECIALLY since Nintendo has shown they will remove any glitch or tech they deem too powerful or janky.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
still, half the cast is far too much to be invalidated by a small quantity of just 3 characters. its more realistically a third or a quarter.

also none of these characters are meta knight level so dont give me any of that

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
To be fair, he said at least half, not everyone.
*goes back to read the original post*
Oh he did say half the cast. Sorry about that @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord I blame my sickness
Well I have a harder time arguing that...but i think if half the cast becomes invalidated its going to be because of all the other viable characters not just Diddy/Sheik/ZSS

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok. Maybe you are right there. Maybe it won't just be those 3. But to hope everyone in the game can take top 8 or win a major in a non-custom environment?

Much too naive.

The characters I feel can do damage at a major consistently.

Sheik, Diddy, ZSS, Sonic, Yoshi, Luigi, Pit, Dark Pit, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Rosaluma, Pac-man, Ness, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Mario, Villager

Honorable mention goes to Little Mac, Mega-man, Wario, Olimar, Metaknight, Lucario, Greninja

These above chars have flaws but have some great tools or mechanic that keeps them in the fight.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
you're missing ike, puff, rob, dk, and some other characters i dont feel safe mentioning

also great job listing megaman in both sections :troll:

also mention peach, she's definitely got the goods to be high tier

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ok. Maybe you are right there. Maybe it won't just be those 3. But to hope everyone in the game can take top 8 or win a major in a non-custom environment?

Much too naive.

The characters I feel can do damage at a major consistently.

Sheik, Diddy, ZSS, Sonic, Yoshi, Luigi, Pit, Dark Pit, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Rosaluma, Pac-man, Ness, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Mario, Mega-man, Villager

Honorable mention goes to Little Mac, Mega-man, Wario, Olimar, Metaknight, Lucario, Greninja

These above chars have flaws but have some great tools or mechanic that keeps them in the fight.
Can you explain to me your thoughts on Wario?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
To be completely honest, I believe the game is too simple to allow much room for growth.

We can refine playstyles and understand MUs better, but that's about it. It's going to come down to character-specific tools which will judge growth.

This is of course in a non-customs meta. In a custom environment all of that will change.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
To be fair, with customs on Marth/Lucina can fthrow -> crescent slash for free damage or a KO, if Marth lands a tipper.
lemme know when major TO's hosting regional tournaments are allowing customs. Till then I will just keep acting like they don't exist.

Because for discussion purposes, they don't.

Wario - Great aerial footsies, COMMAND GRAB MIX-UPS, solid recovery, Waft is scary and demands respect. Though this could be bias since Malcolm lives in my region.

I lose hope for DK when will lost to keitaros diddy at a local. Will is a much stronger player then Keitaro or at least at the time he was. idk how much better keitaro has gotten in these last two weeks.

When tiers decide the match, things don't bode well for that character.

Ike? No. He fares no better then Marth vs the top tiers except Sonic imo due to having a reliable jab. Rob? Yeah, I can see it. Puff? Ehhh. Respect pound and she is less scary.

Peach? What has she done? Does she beat any top tiers?

Thats what this all comes down to in the end. Can this character beat or at least hold their own vs the best chars. If they can't then thats when the label of unviable comes out.

Can this character SOLO a tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom