• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Well, I was Mach Tornado'd onstage, and I spin over a little bit over the edge. Then... then.... THE BLASTED END LAG PREVENTED ME FROM GRABBING THE FREAKING LEDGE! ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Thank God it was in Training Mode.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
what character overall has the highest mobility? i used to think that it was undisputed sonic, but i've seen some ZSS and fox. can someone clarify?

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
Only been watching for the last hour but I've seen a Shiek, Falcon, Pikachu, Luigi and a Pac-man. They should just have a Falcon only tournament.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
what character overall has the highest mobility? i used to think that it was undisputed sonic, but i've seen some ZSS and fox. can someone clarify?
If pure mobility specs, it's Fox, ZSS, and Sheik, but Sonic can manipulate his air speeds with Up-B and D-air and Spin dash. I'd still say with that manipulation, Sonic is still the fastest thing alive in this game.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
ZSS can do down b and jump afterwards though with down b giving her crazy ability to move around left and right when b reversed and it's pretty controllable where Sonic can only come close to that left right mobility while airborne with spinshot which eats his second jump and has a set path. ZSS also has wavebounced lasers to make chasing her from below harder and a dair that drops her like a rock. I guess you can still say Sonic has more but I think the need for him to sacrifice jumps and b moves respectively to achieve it gives ZSS the edge since using her tools doesn't use up her resources as quickly.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
It'd help if you could define what you mean by mobility. A lot of characters that wouldn't be thought of have some really interesting options which might go into the thought process depending on that.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It'd help if you could define what you mean by mobility. A lot of characters that wouldn't be thought of have some really interesting options which might go into the thought process depending on that.
The use of movement.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
MikeKirby is SMART. I learned how to counter Sonic just from watching him.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm pretty sure Greninja is among the most mobile as well , he's more mobile than Sheik in pretty much everything, even if only slightly.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Luigi's are sending notice that the Year of Luigi is about to come again starting with APEX

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The time to use it is up close. Side b has invuln until after the apex of the hop and it creates a pretty strong mixup for him. Release beats attacks and grabs loses to shields, shield beats attacks and ties with shield loses to grabs, grab beats shield and usually slower attacks but loses to grabs due to shield drop. Up close it's a guessing game but totally fair. Reward usually skews to Sonic but that's his reward for being in. Farther out you can beat it with jabs, grab it or shield and hit the jump with bair/let them screech to a stop and punish with your choice making it a bad option. Explore with your characters.

Down B is basically for if you predict a whiff. You'll use it farther out since it can be charged to faster speeds. Not a good idea to try and catch spins with smashes and whatnot normally. Stick to jabs or grabs. Shield if your character can't win with those. I can't THINK of anyone who can't do one of those(we just saw Kirby grab it) but if you can't it's an option. Also nice for tech chases covering tech in place and either direction based on the release. Once released they behave the same and lose to the same things.

Not for anyone in particular. Just a notice for anyone having issues.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't talk up Greninja as much as I just try to explain him more. Most of the time I have posted long posts about him were because someone was unaware of what Greninja has going for him and just put more emphasis on the bad. People do tend to accentuate the negative after all, so I try to present some of the good to balance it out. I'm fully aware of all the problems Greninja has, I just don't think those problems are enough to make him lower than high-mid.
In a lot of ways, I feel like Greninja plays more like an ACTUAL ninja, using stealth
and misdirection to mislead his opponents, only striking full-force when he sees clear vulnerability.
As opposed to the glorified Ninja Gaiden-esque ninja which is just attack attack attack when it comes to fighting.

Here comes a weird example: ScrewAttack's Death Battle between Zitz (Battletoads) and Leonardo (Ninja Turtles).
Basically, Leo had no way of winning against Zitz in a straight fight due to the vastly superior firepower at Zitz's disposal,
but instead he used real ninja skill to stay safe and frustrate Zitz.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
In a lot of ways, I feel like Greninja plays more like an ACTUAL ninja, using stealth
and misdirection to mislead his opponents, only striking full-force when he sees clear vulnerability.
As opposed to the glorified Ninja Gaiden-esque ninja which is just attack attack attack when it comes to fighting.
I feel the same way actually, it's why I prefer Greninja's playstyle over Sheik's. It's fun to trick the opponent into falling right into my attacks even if it means not being able to go full on the offensive like Sheik can. There's pretty much nothing about Greninja that I don't like.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I can't watch Apex because I'm at a hotel and so the internet here is not too good and the stream would just not load.

Oh well. Here hoping for some good Greninja representation.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
I can't watch Apex because I'm at a hotel and so the internet here is not too good and the stream would just not load.

Oh well. Here hoping for some good Greninja representation.
as of now, all we had was one that got bodied by some random ness :( sorry fren

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It's weird, I've heard a lot of times that Ness has an advantage over Greninja, but I never felt like that was the case and never really struggled against him. I mean, he's tough to deal with for sure, but I can't see the MU be more than 50:50

And it's hilarious just how much Hydro Pump messes with PK Thunder

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Some For Glory roll action going on now on stream haha. Didn't say they'd all be golden matches :p

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really like how they describe value characters, namely a character who are well-rounded so they can counter one one-sided playstyle with one side of the character and then counter the other playstyle with another side of the character.

All of my mains are like this.

Highlights for me are Mr. ConCon Luigi hype and Koolaid turning this into APACS

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
There's like 5,000 Falcons at Apex.
Did people forget this isn't For Glory mode? Idk...do they think he's the easiest to pick up and play?

Speaking of which, what characters would you say have the best ease of use to success ratio everyone?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
No but I think people know Falcon is a good character. Linear, but he works if he's played right, ya know. Granted I think his approach options are going to hold him back.

Ease of use to success ratio? Probably Diddy IMO

Last edited:

sunset_raven

Smash Cadet
Just saw a Shulk right now... Really impressive. The speed in which he changed Monados to adapt to a situation was something I had never thought possible.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
The 9am pools were all Falcons but since then like every other match has had a Luigi in it. The decade of Luigi is real. And yeah, that Shulk was really fun to watch, seeing character knowledge like that is always a treat

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I definitely don't think Marth is crap. He's got some good traps, baits out and punishes air dodges well and while super comboy throws would be nice the ones he has doesn't do a bad job of pushing them to the edge and letting him use his range, grab range and air game to rack up damage covering multiple return options fairly safely and easily. Getting tippers is always nice too.

I've been rethinking Lucina quite a bit too. While she kills later than Marth's tipper she still kills pretty early compared to a lot of the cast with her Fsmash. She's clearly not as good as Marth when he can land tippers but sometimes you don't have time to line those up like when you're punishing on shield. She can make certain opponents options really risky because of that. It's a shame they didn't give her better shieldstun and 1-3 more percent on most of her attacks like Shulk though.
Marth is fine.

But since when have competitive games been about chars that are fine?

Match-up wise he seriously only loses to Sheik, Sonic, Diddy, Dedede, ZSS, Olimar and uhhhh...wow that might be it.

But..look at how many top tiers he loses too. He loses to the 4 strongest and most popular chars. That's not good when you look at competitive viability. Also he doesn't style on anyone thats good either.

TONS of even or near even match-ups.

So yeah...he's fine.

Just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom