• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
i'll tell you what the super pro mario ruined your spacing with his perfect wavedash to beautifully crouch cancelled dsmash and now you're flying off the side of battlefield with no chance of grabbing the ledge, what do you do?
You learn to space better.:laugh:

Or you screw spacing altogether and learn to ledgetech instead.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Charles has quit? Oh Nose! I had what I hope is a good question. If any other good Marths would like to answer then please do so.

My question is this: Which do you find to be more crucial to your Marth gameplay Wavedashing or Dashing/DashDancing/all various stuff you can do with dashing minus wavedashing? It sounds kinda stupid since the obvious answer is both but hear me out. Within the last month I've broken in my controller and practiced sufficently to Perfect Wavedash when I want (most of the time ofcourse). I then became overly involved in PWDing all the time which was getting me killed by trying to do it too much. So, I started trying to throw in Cactus Dashing type stuff like Wavedash towards and opponent, do a tiny dash back and bait something to grab them or I'd run towards them, wavedash back, Cactus dash forwards, pause and Dashattack which boosts you extra distance (quite an unexpected distance actually).

Still, in all of this I'd find myself trying to find the comfortable happy medium between not DD and not WD too much. As I said a good Marth needs both but which do you use more often or at least for what things do you use them. If anyone else has had a problem with DDing or WDing too much your words of wisdom are also appreciated.

Lastly, does anyone know which of the two will get you moving faster after landing from an aerial? Whats the difference, and does that difference matter? Thanks in advance for any answers or just for reading this overly long and possibly pointless post.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think DDing is more important to marth's game.

WD is important too obviously, but DD is more usable in more situations.... I think....

You can bait people w/o WDing too like in your situation you used run up WD up then run away then re-grab which I think is a variation of DDing with the use of one WD.

You can just DD and then pivot grab or if you run away a little too far just turn and grab.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think the main reason why DD > WD in the most general situations is that because WDing is one motion over the course of a few frames. It moves you from one spot to another spot a little farther from where you used to be. I mean unless you attack at a moment right before you WDed you really aren't tricking anyone.

DDing however is one fluid motion allowing you to move as much distance as you want depending on how long you use it.

Thats why most people try to camp against characters with good DDs. Because some characters like marth for instance have a very dangerous DD.

Also for the other two questions.

WDing and DDing .. too much? My movement game with marth is generally a lot of DDing with WDs in them. That way my marth seems faster than it is and ... its scary...

for the last question.. I would say it depends on the situation.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
**** you Teczero for saying what I was trying to say more clearly!

I posted my response in the Q&A thread. Read it if you want. But yeah, not too different from Teczero.

EDIT: Wow, that looks harsh. I used the d word, not the f word. Jokingly.

soap

Smash Hero
basically DD is quicker to run away and come back as there is no momentum to run against and there is no landing lag from wavedash.

wavedash is beneficial if u wanted to space a move such as a smash or tilt. u can do the same thing with pivoting but it is harder.

having both for when u need to overstep the dash dance boundary and reset the dash dance is crucial as well.

in general DD>WD for most characters, like maybe luigi samus and IC's wavedash is better

IrArby

Smash Ace
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your answers and believe me I'll take them into consideration. Perhaps this is why my less practiced Falco does better against most people since I'm not over WDing. Plus, novice-average people have more trouble dealing with the lazers. Thanks again for your advice.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
**** you Teczero for saying what I was trying to say more clearly!

I posted my response in the Q&A thread. Read it if you want. But yeah, not too different from Teczero.

EDIT: Wow, that looks harsh. I used the d word, not the f word. Jokingly.
LOL

We are both amazing? :bee:

EDIT: You know what I stopped using Marth's DD and WD.

I mean why do you need to bother?

EDITEDIT: Magusistoogood

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
cactuar, what's your strategy in teams? what moves do you find yourself focusing on using more in teams than in singles?

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
He uses the go Fox in teams technique. I cnt really remember the last time he's went Marth.

Lol at Magus Gif Tec0, I hope you show up to the biweekly tomorrow

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
I mean I can honestly say he goes Fox like 80% of the time in teams now. He usually teams with M2K and if one of them has to go Marth its him. Otherwise he's teaming with like Luigi or Falcon, in which case Fox is the better option.

Obviously he goes Marth occasionally, just pointing out that he uses Fox tons more these days.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
lol

While I agree that Marth ***** Peach, it's ALOT easier said than done.
im sorry but who r u

u talk like your so big and good >_>

all i said its easy to beat peach with marth and it is u can ask all the good marths

even tho there is like only 5 good marths lol

I.B

Smash Lord
im sorry but who r u

all i said its easy to beat peach with marth and it is u can ask all the good marths

It wasn't my intention to come off as "so big and good" in my post. I only said that because that's the answer most Marth players get nowadays without anything in-depth really. It's just like "your character ***** this matchup, do fair, you win."

Of course the good Marths will say Peach is easy to beat, at those higher levels is when the matchup becomes ****. Watch any lower level/mediocre Marth play a Peach around the same level and you won't see the same results.

G@BE

Smash Lord
im sorry but who r u

What i think there wanting to know is how to beat Peach... It's probably easy once you know how to >_>

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
It wasn't my intention to come off as "so big and good" in my post. I only said that because that's the answer most Marth players get nowadays without anything in-depth really. It's just like "your character ***** this matchup, do fair, you win."

Of course the good Marths will say Peach is easy to beat, at those higher levels is when the matchup becomes ****. Watch any lower level/mediocre Marth play a Peach around the same level and you won't see the same results.
O ok

<<<<<33

HowdYdoo

Smash Cadet
For marth dittos, i'm a lil confused as to which way to DI when getting chaingrabbed at 0%. So when the other marth fthrows me, do you di up and away or down and away? I've been told to do both so i'm not sure which one... Also, when I get grabbed near the edge and fthrown (again at really low%), which way do I DI? If I DI in, I get hit, if I DI out, I get tippered... =/

Also, Cactuar, is it better to perfect edge tech then try to sweetspot the edge again with up-b (is it matchup dependant? 0.o) or jump tech to immediate bair?

I.B

Smash Lord
For marth dittos, i'm a lil confused as to which way to DI when getting chaingrabbed at 0%. So when the other marth fthrows me, do you di up and away or down and away? I've been told to do both so i'm not sure which one... Also, when I get grabbed near the edge and fthrown (again at really low%), which way do I DI? If I DI in, I get hit, if I DI out, I get tippered... =/
Down and away.

Top Bottom