• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Bones0

Smash Legend
Marth's plat coverage is fine, but his punishes off of that cover are super weak because you can't tip utilt everywhere on it like you can on the other stages. The only time I prefer low plats are when I want to get a tipper because then you really can just sit still and cover all of their options. lol If you have trouble on the stage, get comfortable L-cancelling and ledge cancelling when you SH onto the low plats. If your opponent is on the plat and you try to play it like other stages, you'll waste the opportunity trying to jump or utilting their shield when they can just aerial OoS and punish you through the plat. Instead do stuff like SH nair onto the plat and drifting away for a ledge cancel, then you fair to catch their OoS movement. Stuff like that is so safe and almost always works because it eats shield super fast when you're just spamming tipper aerials with little to no lag. Also WLing off of plats is way stronger for Marth because he's lower to the ground than if you are on DL trying to WL to the middle with a fair. By the time you get low enough to fair your intentions are usually telegraphed, but on FoD you will get that fair out low to the ground twice as fast. Make sure you get used to checking the plats to see where they are, both in between stocks and any time you have a split second to check, especially before edgeguards. If you notice it's in the ground, make sure you're in the middle or right at the ledge. You can also just grab the ledge because usually if you take the ledge and there's no side plat they just have to land on the stage. The plats move so slowly that it's all about awareness. You'll rarely have a plat come up perfectly timed to mess up something that would have worked if it came up a second sooner or later.

Does anyone know of any posts explaining how the platforms work? I recorded the movements on my own and got some really strange patterns (there were DISTINCT patterns). I'm pretty sure they are based on player locations, but I'm not sure on any details beyond that. If you were able to tell what made them move it might help by allowing you to manipulate them into advantageous heights.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
It's not that his coverage actually gets worse; it's that it relatively worsens. He can cover the platforms, but so can everyone else now. I'll edit my first post to clear that up. Utilt already easily snags people on all platforms outside of Dreamland. I don't know, I really just don't understand the stage. Haha. Thanks a bunch Bones, I'll to work some of that in. A lot of that sounds cool, and a lot sounds like exactly why I'm bad at the stage.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
uptilt is godlike. why is it so good? it makes me wonder...recently started using more uptilt and less upair and suddenly i'm running into staling issues. I have to make sure i don't overuse it because it's so good I can hit with it 4-5 times in a row and then combo them with 3-4 more hits into death.

yeah i don't know what i'm supposed to do on the platforms on that stage.. i like to techchase dair on the lowest platform if they are in CC percentage..but mostly i just crouch and uptilt

I could have sworn Tai made something too about this or there was even a board on it. Then again, it could have been about a different character. Anyway, this is what I was looking for as a starting point for some ideas.

Also, http://hurricanesandython.com/ for a charity speedrun marathon until Tuesday.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i don't remember making such a thread, but i know exactly what you're talking about. i'm on the hunt! (it's currently 1:52)

edit: it's 1:56 and i give up

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Tai had a cool post over in the falcon forums explaining how to do super quick u-airs, you short hop with x/y and hold up on the left stick then press Z. It's been helpful for me.

S l o X

Smash Champion
marth is super good vs spacies

but i dont know when fox/falco are able to get out of chain grabs and that matters a lot

so someone tell me

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Tai had a cool post over in the falcon forums explaining how to do super quick u-airs, you short hop with x/y and hold up on the left stick then press Z. It's been helpful for me.
although that is how i do quick uairs, i shield with R, so i wouldnt be able to do it out of shield :(

i have pretty fast fingers, though, so i could probably do good uairs out of shield on my own though

Bones0

Smash Legend
I just hold L or R, press Y, then up+A. Pretty controversial way of doing it, I know, but what can I say? I love using obscure input configurations.

marth is super good vs spacies

but i dont know when fox/falco are able to get out of chain grabs and that matters a lot

so someone tell me
They can't get out of CGs. That's kinda the point. ;P

Just practice vs. level 4 comps on FD. They mix up DI often enough that you have to actually react. Practice pivoting when they reach teen %s, and don't pummel at low %s. It's an awful habit I see in a lot of Marths. Learn the utilt differences between Fox and Falco. Whether or not you have to turn around before it varies depending on the spacie. It's weird. If they don't DI, you can uthrow fsmash Falco at 85% (<-- % after throw damage). I forget Fox's, but you can check in Training Mode.

I do not think they fully DI away at any point either. Between lv1-3 I can get a standing CG and regrab until 30% even if they DI away. Once a thrown is made at 30%, then I have to start moving. Although, I have seen people tell me you can only get a standing CG upto 23% or 26%.

Meneks

Smash Lord
Hm, I still don't understand how this would necessarily be faster?

Couldn't I just do the same thing by pressing A?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Hm, I still don't understand how this would necessarily be faster?

Couldn't I just do the same thing by pressing A?
since you're using your thumb for X/Y and your index finger for Z, you can hit them in quick succession, meaning you don't have to allow time for your thumb to travel from X/Y to A

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so basically if your finger was already on A it provides no advantage..i really like Z though cause I claw and i want to avoid having my finger on A in 90% of situations

finally got around to watching pp's marth vs mango's falco...so much damage from free laser pins...just saying..for all the talk about ways of dealing with lasers it sure doesn't show up in your matches PP

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
so basically if your finger was already on A it provides no advantage..i really like Z though cause I claw and i want to avoid having my finger on A in 90% of situations

finally got around to watching pp's marth vs mango's falco...so much damage from free laser pins...just saying..for all the talk about ways of dealing with lasers it sure doesn't show up in your matches PP
PP didn't start talking about dealing with lasers until after KoC

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
PP and I have had an ongoing discussion about this for a long while. Just saying, if pp gets totally wrecked by lasers, it doesn't build faith that marth vs falco is as even without powershielding as everyone keeps saying.

and pp has known about absorbing lasers and playing from shield for a while. It's not like he hasn't known the options for dealing. He just struggles despite that

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think anyone would struggle if they are in shield in the first place, I can't see it as being good because you are on the defensive or pressured.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP and I have had an ongoing discussion about this for a long while. Just saying, if pp gets totally wrecked by lasers, it doesn't build faith that marth vs falco is as even without powershielding as everyone keeps saying.

and pp has known about absorbing lasers and playing from shield for a while. It's not like he hasn't known the options for dealing. He just struggles despite that
Well look at what I did OOS. I moved back at the same timing consistently and did the same action out of it(reshielded). It makes sense that I would lose to lasers with such bad responses OOS.

Now if you wanted to be productive, you would have looked at what I did, seen the trends, and thought of how to improve on it(with or without powershielding). I'd like to think productively here and restate that moving OOS at different timings can throw off Falco's laser spacing, give me the chance to WD again before he can adapt and act, as well as give me the option to move into Falco and attack him/trade with a laser instead of just eat more. That's just the beginning.

And yes, I was also somewhat surprised he actually did laser as much as he said he would. That's just bad on me though and not really relevant to improving Marth's metagame.

Top Bottom