• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I like how I post solid advice and the person who asked the question doesn't even acknowledge the post. LOL! Thanks though Shrouded! ;D

League is taking all the smashers
at least switch to DOTA or something

ARC, are you ever going to make that pivotting video you mentioned awhile ago :awesome:?
Yeah I will hopefully be able to make it here after awhile, it's going to explain all my tricks and how to do them it will be sometime after august though if I even do it at all. I have to teach it to someone first.

Beat!

Smash Master
I simply don't think his matchup spread is good enough to put him anywhere near 2nd place.

... okay, that was a slight exaggeration, but I do think Marth and Fox are a solid bit above him.

Sheik is 3rd on my list, in case you're wondering.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Like I said before, I have a hard time understanding his placement due to the lack of Marth talent. I could see myself putting him anywhere between 3rd and 6th.

Falco on the otherhand I have a hard time placing below 2. IMO a lot of that depends on how well people can start powershielding.

:phone:

Beat!

Smash Master
If being 4th best in the game and having no counter matchups equals being bad, then yeah, I guess. =p

Double ninja. This post was @Niko.

@Boat mode:
d/w, I'll start producing the results to support that matchup spread before you know it. I got this.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Please do, show europe whats up with Marth. I need to get into the city for some Marth training, the Long Islands been pretty dead lately.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Is Fthrow -> dash attack legit follow-up on DI away on certain characters such as peach? In armada vs M2K I recall seeing this a ton in some early sets. Even if you cannot react too it, but have to predict, a 50/50 on a move seems pretty good. Fthrow -> dash attack DI away, while fthrow -> fair covers most any other DI.
I can only get that to combo offstage or when Peach doesn't DI out of surprise. Otherwise I don't believe it works.

i think that again that only works at lower percents..marth's way over use that move though.
they certainly do over-use it. it's a good surprise move but certainly not a staple with all that lag.

Fthrow -> dash attack is pretty good, but I think Niko's right. It usually only feels truly "legit" when the throw sends them off stage. There are probably a few exceptions, though.

No. Do fthrow -> pivot fsmash instead (we're already assuming non-perfect DI if the dash attack is supposed to hit). Tipper fsmash will start killing around then, at least vs floaties, and even when it doesn't, it will put them in a worse situation than a dash attack would (unless they DI into your Ken combo or something).
ye

When would fthrow dash cancelled dsmash work (if ever)?
throwing them offstage and they wanna grab the edge. great times to tipper dsmash actually

Why go for a follow up when you can get something guaranteed? I wasn't just talking specifically about peach's DI down and away I'm talking about many different things. This particular situation just happened to be one of them.
it would be nice but maybe not possible.

you know you can tech chase peach off of grabs for a long time right? that should mitigate some punishment issues at lower percents.

can't accept any chart in which marth has a larger advantage on peach than he has on fox..but whatever. people always believe what they want..it doesn't seem that far from the average opinion these days anyway.though i'm never certain whether these charts are supposed to reflect the actual current metagame or some theoretical nonsense

sorry if this sounds biting...i'm just annoyed lately with the concept of a theoretical tier list in the first place..why do we need it? people can know recent results by asking around to actually know how characters have been doing..and it's nonsense to think that any player has the necessary knowledge to make the judgments about matchups they don't play...but instead we amass all the opinions and vote and thus decide what the matchups are like..

voting..how typically american.. why can't they just be satisfied with creating some sort of elo ranking and then just judging the characters based on that..that's what most competitive games would do..but here we are on smashboards.. land of theorycraft
our game/comunity is small so we aren't representing the metagame in full. if you can't accept any other argument you should at least consider accept that one.

Can someone help me with the Peach neutral spacing game?

I understand the combos/punishment, even if I can't do it as well as I'd like, but my overall strategy in that matchup is lacking. First hits are major struggle for me.

DD in or around dash attack range and attack her if she pulls a turnip. If she floats then you have to adjust your spacing for her Fair landing lag but don't go too far away as you may give her time to float back and pull a turnip. CC is your very good friend vs dash attack and jabs after peach lands from a FC so it's okay to be closer at lower %s if you crouch correctly.

if peach has a turnip then counter it nair it or just get on a platform. if you have no platform then consider some fair wall shenanigans that can help wall peach out and additionally swat the turnip at the same time.

yea falco's pretty bad
/makes new nest in marth boards

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well you're welcome to your opinion but theorycrafting character matchups to make up for a lack of actual players seems like a very poor way to judge matchups. Maybe if players were all equally skilled and also unbiased then it might make something remotely useful....

however, I've come to the realization that even Kirbykaze doesn't know everything about this game if you include the matchups that he doesn't play..there are insufficient top players for most of the characters, so when they vote on tier spread it is going to end up tainted by the bias of people who don't know jack about the matchups involved in what they are voting for.

There I said it..i'm tired of people who cannot even remotely play a character coming in and spouting utter nonsense about matchups when they don't even have the lowest level basic spacings down for their character..it would be like my going into the Ice climbers boards, posting my tier list and matchup data for ICs and then when fly amanita and wobbles explain the fundamentals of the IC vs falco matchup. I go in and say something stupid like, but if you get one grab you can zero to death falco.

the boards mostly consist of a bunch of people just spouting off meaningless opinions on matchups totally insubstantiated by evidence or even decent reasoning. This problem of noobs posting stupid stuff and arguing about matchups involving characters they don't main and can't play is exacerbated by the fact that most people do not want to post comprehensive matchup guides (this can be easily noted by the fact that the only guides close to detailed enough to actually be of any use in judging matchups would be yours and KK's). In general people are too lazy to post out guides or in some cases don't want to give up their strategies. I definitely fall into the latter and would never give a fully detailed matchup guide for some opponent to microanalyze to beat me in tourney.

I guess I should expand on this. Obviously if you are absolutely confident in your strategy then posting it, even though it will help your opponents is not a big problem. But the problem is I've lost track of the number of stupid things that I've heard from people that I then completely abuse against my opponent to gain an easy win in tourney. If there are gaps or lack of knowledge about certain options in my guide, it will be abused by people who realize that I don't have enough knowledge. And it is even worse when they are strictly wrong about something....it is always so satisfying to read an edgeguarding guide against marth and then realize that it leaves a huge gap against a certain recovery..and then to abuse that recovery and even better countergimp them. I have also lost count of hte number of countergimps that my opponents have later told their friends were "suicides". But yeah, I'm not pro, and I lack the confidence in most matchups to post a comprehensive guide and even if I had that confidence I'm not sure I would take the time. Props to KK for making such a sick guide btw.

Where was I....ah yeah, General matchup discussion is fine, as I often fill holes in my game merely by asking around for how to counter one aspect of a matchup. However, this has to be integrated into the entirety of my strategy to really grasp how the matchup is played in my eyes. But people do not go into some long detailed discussion when matchups are discussed in general. Instead they nitpick certain situations that they think are bad even though oftentimes if the matchup is played correctly instead of by someone who is just pulling out a tertiary for one day and doesn't know what he is doing...that situation may not even come up often enough to have real relevance on the matter.. In their eyes they no doubt think that they somehow countered my argument but in my eyes I'm just thinking of how I would 4 stock them with one hand. Another reason why I tend not to argue with pros...I am worried that there is a gap in my knowledge somewhere so that what i think is important to the matchup isn't important at all. I wouldn't mind arguing if it's in some depth, but the tier list discussion thread is filled with way too many minor details/situations out of context of the actual matchup.

80% of the posts are tiers without any discussion (what I did a while back) and 10% of the posts are tiers with an explanation of which matchups they think are bad for the characters...and only maybe 10% of posts have like the 3 sentence explanations of reasoning. Which regardless of how true the statements are, could never possibly describe a single matchup

anyways, the tl;dr version is just this. Top players are the only ones who have enough experience to properly judge tier list placement. However, using a voting system among top players for a tier list suffers even more from the lack of data, as well as a tendency to bias tier list placement based on how that character does against their main, usually from a lack of knowledge of all the matchups for the other characters.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's why you have everyone post their thoughts about a match-up and then we can tell them if it's right or wrong... in this way there is no gap possible. Also everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's not right to judge them just because they know less about the game.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
KP, you're such a pessimist, but you're not wrong. I think that, past dividing characters into tiers, trying to give them a specific number on a list when there's no way you could know each and every matchup that is relevant to them, is really silly.

But you've got to admit, it's kind of fun. :p

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
DD in or around dash attack range and attack her if she pulls a turnip. If she floats then you have to adjust your spacing for her Fair landing lag but don't go too far away as you may give her time to float back and pull a turnip. CC is your very good friend vs dash attack and jabs after peach lands from a FC so it's okay to be closer at lower %s if you crouch correctly.

if peach has a turnip then counter it nair it or just get on a platform. if you have no platform then consider some fair wall shenanigans that can help wall peach out and additionally swat the turnip at the same time.
What do I do to keep her from pushing me back though? I have a hard time establishing stage control with my movement because dash attack is so scary. Feels like my normals always get beat/trade. I don't like shielding dash attacks because thats a 50/50 for a grab...and I can't jump (dash attack beats everything). My dash back isn't threatening at all, and when I dash forward I am going into the ****.

The most success I've had is with dtilt but that requires me to stand still and mobility is one of my only real advantages.

blegh

Niko45

Smash Master
I don't like empty dding against peach cause I don't feel its good to give up walling options for free and it gives her an opportunity to try to outspace you

in fact I don't like empty dding at all it basically sucks. stand/aerial in place, then single dash away pivot grab is all you need.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
well you're welcome to your opinion but theorycrafting character matchups to make up for a lack of actual players seems like a very poor way to judge matchups. Maybe if players were all equally skilled and also unbiased then it might make something remotely useful....

however, I've come to the realization that even Kirbykaze doesn't know everything about this game if you include the matchups that he doesn't play..there are insufficient top players for most of the characters, so when they vote on tier spread it is going to end up tainted by the bias of people who don't know jack about the matchups involved in what they are voting for.

There I said it..i'm tired of people who cannot even remotely play a character coming in and spouting utter nonsense about matchups when they don't even have the lowest level basic spacings down for their character..it would be like my going into the Ice climbers boards, posting my tier list and matchup data for ICs and then when fly amanita and wobbles explain the fundamentals of the IC vs falco matchup. I go in and say something stupid like, but if you get one grab you can zero to death falco.

the boards mostly consist of a bunch of people just spouting off meaningless opinions on matchups totally insubstantiated by evidence or even decent reasoning. This problem of noobs posting stupid stuff and arguing about matchups involving characters they don't main and can't play is exacerbated by the fact that most people do not want to post comprehensive matchup guides (this can be easily noted by the fact that the only guides close to detailed enough to actually be of any use in judging matchups would be yours and KK's). In general people are too lazy to post out guides or in some cases don't want to give up their strategies. I definitely fall into the latter and would never give a fully detailed matchup guide for some opponent to microanalyze to beat me in tourney.

I guess I should expand on this. Obviously if you are absolutely confident in your strategy then posting it, even though it will help your opponents is not a big problem. But the problem is I've lost track of the number of stupid things that I've heard from people that I then completely abuse against my opponent to gain an easy win in tourney. If there are gaps or lack of knowledge about certain options in my guide, it will be abused by people who realize that I don't have enough knowledge. And it is even worse when they are strictly wrong about something....it is always so satisfying to read an edgeguarding guide against marth and then realize that it leaves a huge gap against a certain recovery..and then to abuse that recovery and even better countergimp them. I have also lost count of hte number of countergimps that my opponents have later told their friends were "suicides". But yeah, I'm not pro, and I lack the confidence in most matchups to post a comprehensive guide and even if I had that confidence I'm not sure I would take the time. Props to KK for making such a sick guide btw.

Where was I....ah yeah, General matchup discussion is fine, as I often fill holes in my game merely by asking around for how to counter one aspect of a matchup. However, this has to be integrated into the entirety of my strategy to really grasp how the matchup is played in my eyes. But people do not go into some long detailed discussion when matchups are discussed in general. Instead they nitpick certain situations that they think are bad even though oftentimes if the matchup is played correctly instead of by someone who is just pulling out a tertiary for one day and doesn't know what he is doing...that situation may not even come up often enough to have real relevance on the matter.. In their eyes they no doubt think that they somehow countered my argument but in my eyes I'm just thinking of how I would 4 stock them with one hand. Another reason why I tend not to argue with pros...I am worried that there is a gap in my knowledge somewhere so that what i think is important to the matchup isn't important at all. I wouldn't mind arguing if it's in some depth, but the tier list discussion thread is filled with way too many minor details/situations out of context of the actual matchup.

80% of the posts are tiers without any discussion (what I did a while back) and 10% of the posts are tiers with an explanation of which matchups they think are bad for the characters...and only maybe 10% of posts have like the 3 sentence explanations of reasoning. Which regardless of how true the statements are, could never possibly describe a single matchup

anyways, the tl;dr version is just this. Top players are the only ones who have enough experience to properly judge tier list placement. However, using a voting system among top players for a tier list suffers even more from the lack of data, as well as a tendency to bias tier list placement based on how that character does against their main, usually from a lack of knowledge of all the matchups for the other characters.
wtf is unbiased? everyone not having an opinion or basing the game on numbers? bias exists in all humans and I think that's great personally because then we get differing opinions(this is how arguments and new info is shared btw).

do we need perfect conditions to create a theoretical tier list? well we never used them before so why start now? besides, perfect conditions would vary for different people anyway so you'd run into problems there too. for example, I think bias is cool but I would want people to use a similar format when making matchup observations like how a character wins in categories vs another such as offense vs defense, momentum, speed, range, camping potential, etc. this is not to say my method is the best, but it is what I'd prefer if I could somehow control the way tier lists are made. what we do now is just let everyone use their own opinion and that honestly isn't the worst thing in the world.

why would we have to be masters of all characters to offer our opinions on tiers? that's basically impossible....
we can use our best judgment based on what we have seen and read from sources more credible than ourselves on those characters or matchups we do not play often though. there are ways to reduce the overall ignorance behind any tier decision so the variance in tier decisions isn't too strong.

ummm yeah smashboards has gotten harder on the eyes these days but you have to overlook the bad and focus on who is being productive and work with them. it's very easy to do and it'd probably make you a lot happier with your quest for smash knowledge =)

come to my dorm when I go to uncg bruh

What do I do to keep her from pushing me back though? I have a hard time establishing stage control with my movement because dash attack is so scary. Feels like my normals always get beat/trade. I don't like shielding dash attacks because thats a 50/50 for a grab...and I can't jump (dash attack beats everything). My dash back isn't threatening at all, and when I dash forward I am going into the ****.

The most success I've had is with dtilt but that requires me to stand still and mobility is one of my only real advantages.

blegh
CC dash attack I told you already lmao. Hit her first once in a while so she pops DA earlier later on and you get free shield grabs.

dash canceled dtilt is amazing for spacing. peach can't really challenge dtilt outright unless she sees it coming a mile away.

I don't like empty dding against peach cause I don't feel its good to give up walling options for free and it gives her an opportunity to try to outspace you

in fact I don't like empty dding at all it basically sucks. stand/aerial in place, then single dash away pivot grab is all you need.
empty dd'ing is completely worthless.

dd'ing with a purpose and shifting your position frequently while taking stage and giving it up as you see fit is extremely effective against peach and most characters in general...especially peach though.

short hop rising rettreating fair -> single hit nair*

why

How is short hop fair better vs peach? It has risks when hitting shield because of her Nair. With a full hop, peach won't reach Marth before he has the chance to pull off something else: Fair or 2nd jump.

I do not see how being high in the air vs peach is bad unless she gets directly underneath you. You have Fair to space landings or platforms to retreat too once in the air.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
No, I think SH rising fair is better vs Peach. I think it's better than the FH version vs most characters. Going up high in the air doesn't end well a lot of the time.
To expand on what Xeylode said, peach can get under short hop rising fair with a dash attack, and peach -loves- to use dash attack.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
empty dd'ing is completely worthless.

dd'ing with a purpose and shifting your position frequently while taking stage and giving it up as you see fit is extremely effective against peach and most characters in general...especially peach though.
Makin cactus so proud.

<3

OverLord

Smash Ace
To expand on what Xeylode said, peach can get under short hop rising fair with a dash attack, and peach -loves- to use dash attack.
It's pretty obvious that you are not supposed to SH Rising Fair in front of Peach blindly, so I don't see when Peach can DA under your Fair if you're doing it reacting to something she's doing.

Peach needs turnips in this MU to do ANYTHING, so just wait for her to try and pull one out and you can punish her.

If she has a turnip, she'll probably try a turnip>float>something in your face, you are supposed to Fair the turnip, and her face too, so that she has to re-arrange her spacing/approach.

If she's trying to approach with no turnips 'cause she's feeling threatened by you every time she tries to pull one out, then you out range her pretty badly, so you can stop her float approaches with Rising SH Fairs, and bait her DA if she's on the ground and punish accordingly.

If you do this stuff and can combo her appropriately, then you are most likely to win.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
If you can get it out i think rising bair works vs peach's dash attack

We should try to an updated matchup guide going again the one we have now is pretty lacking.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
OH my bad lol

I don't really know who "everyone else" is but I can't say I really feel established or knowledgeable to start the new matchup thread. I'll add what I can but my current play is mid level at best.

Although I guess you can just edit in w/e so I guess that works

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
So I has question, and it's related to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIz5biRFTMQ&t=15m47s

In case you missed it, m2k dashes away from th0rn right about the time he's shooting a laser and the laser passes harmlessly right over marth. Is this because the das h animation is lower than running animation coupled with the fact that it was a high laser? (tbh, I don't actually know the different laser heights that falco has all that well) Or was it just a normal laser?

Bones0

Smash Legend
So I has question, and it's related to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIz5biRFTMQ&t=15m47s

In case you missed it, m2k dashes away from th0rn right about the time he's shooting a laser and the laser passes harmlessly right over marth. Is this because the das h animation is lower than running animation coupled with the fact that it was a high laser? (tbh, I don't actually know the different laser heights that falco has all that well) Or was it just a normal laser?
You just answered your own question...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've gone into the hyperbolic time chamber and emerged a marth player. Things I've discovered since...

• Marth ***** falcon
  • Fox is hard to lock down
  • Falco is a ***** until you hit him (already knew but w/e)
  • Marth also ***** every floaty in the game besides sheik
  • Dtilt is the truth
  • Ftilt is pretty useful
  • Execution is a must
  • Fsmash sooner rather than later
  • Don't get fancy, the simple stuff is very effective

More but i'll keep the juicy stuff to myself

Top Bottom