• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Why does Marth sometimes up-b's the opposite direction you directed him to?
Like it usually happens when I'm hanging on the edge and drop/ledgehop into some edgeguard, and then make him up-b back on to grab edge(the stage is to the right) and he up-b's facing left!!
Now I know sometimes it may have been my thumb sub-consciously twitching to avoid getting "battle-fielded" or something, but there are darn-out-right times when I'm holding diagonally up and to the right during my aerial attack and then when I hit B, he goes up and to the left!

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Pretty much what KK said. Out of all the players at my level-ish, I have one of the worst combo(punishment) games. Fortunately, I also have one of the best first hit games, so it kinda balances out. If I could combo half as well as M2K, I'd be one scary mofo. :p

I honestly just dont have all that much fun comboing people. I like first hitting because there is so much push and pull involved there that I feel this great sense of reward for landing that hit. Any subsequent hits is just this one sided chase for me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mew2King & Cactuar's playstyles are too different to definitively state what Cactuar lacks by comparison. There are definitely aspects of Cactuar's Marth that Mew2King's Marth could benefit from, such as his ability to play the same match-up in very different ways. Mew2King's places higher, though, so either Cactuar stops caring about winning partway through a tourney or Mew2King's Marth just performs better in a tournament environment.

MT_

Smash Ace
Cactuar, you should try Brawl. I heard that game is more about first-hitting than comboing.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mew2King & Cactuar's playstyles are too different to definitively state what Cactuar lacks by comparison. There are definitely aspects of Cactuar's Marth that Mew2King's Marth could benefit from, such as his ability to play the same match-up in very different ways. Mew2King's places higher, though, so either Cactuar stops caring about winning partway through a tourney or Mew2King's Marth just performs better in a tournament environment.
Nah, Cactuar's Marth never really learned how to combo.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
u-throw u-throw u-throw u-throw u-throw u-throw pivot u-throw turn around u-tilt u-throw tipped u-tilt uair tipper f-smash on fox with specific DIs on FD

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Cactuar, you should try Brawl. I heard that game is more about first-hitting than comboing.
The only vague form of punishment that I really enjoy is this thing thats like... setups that lead into setups that lead into setups. None of it is actually a combo, but in every one of the situations, the other person has very few actual options to choose from despite having control of their character. Brawl... doesn't really have that. It is way too forgiving in pretty much every aspect and is far too boring because of it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Its not techchasing. Techchasing, the opponent doesn't really get full control of their character, they just make one of 4 choices.

Nair against turnips? Good idea or dumb? First hit to stop turnips, 2nd hit to apply pressure upon landing.

The only vague form of punishment that I really enjoy is this thing thats like... setups that lead into setups that lead into setups. None of it is actually a combo, but in every one of the situations, the other person has very few actual options to choose from despite having control of their character. Brawl... doesn't really have that. It is way too forgiving in pretty much every aspect and is far too boring because of it.
Brawl is no different from what you describe. Only difference is that those few options are really good.

makoforce

Smash Ace
no brawl is boring and its not really action packed. It doesnt invole any deep thiking that melee involves. so half of the match youre trying not to get 3 stocked by boredom.

Thats-husbands-color

Smash Cadet
First off Holy Balls there are a lot of pages so sorry if this has been asked. Ive seen M2K do this and have no idea how its done. When you grab on the ledge how do u do the shield breaker and grab the ledge again?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
precisely. ive only done it like once... which is less than the times i've done sheik's run-off needle cancel edge grab and fox's ledgehop laser regrab

inb4dartsays"idothisallthetime"

MT_

Smash Ace
The timing is only about as narrow as doing double shines as Fox, I don't see why people think it's that hard.

I didn't know you could do this. Cool. No idea where it would ever come in handy.

Anyway, to perform this you drop down, 2nd jump, then press B. All really fast. That's about it. I would say this has to be done about as fast as you would have to do SHDL with fox in smash64

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It's not really all that useful lol. And if you mess it up and miss the opponent with the actual move, you are going to get edgeguarded super easily.

booshk

Smash Lord
just practise i can do it like 50% of the time now, but when i apply it in game and i miss it i get effed up LOL

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
I think sword dance and fair **** against spacies. Tell me your thoughts cactuor. What moves do you c as consistent against fox or falco. When I'm a stock up I'll try dash or stilts ya know cheap stuff. What do you usually do against spacies???

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
TheEggm, right?

I don't see anything... except SSF4 vids and some friendlies with StricNYN3

It's not really all that useful lol. And if you mess it up and miss the opponent with the actual move, you are going to get edgeguarded super easily.
Alright 2nd jump -> fair -> regrab superior to 2nd jump -> B -> regrab
We have revolutioned the ledge game.

stelzig

Smash Lord
The timing is only about as narrow as doing double shines as Fox, I don't see why people think it's that hard.
It's definitely easier than doubleshining with fox. I've only ever done a double shine with fox once or twice. I can do that shieldbreaker thing in a couple of tries. It is somewhere between double lasering with fox and multishines (with fox) though I suppose. Only ever used shieldbreaker from the edge once in an actual match though - and there I failed to regrab, lol. But didn't matter I knocked the opponent far enough away anyway =]

You should probably take what button people use to jump into consideration btw. With Y and stick I can see how people can cover jump and B pretty fast, but with X (which I use) you can't really. Took me a while before I even learned to SHDL. :p

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
It's definitely easier than doubleshining with fox. I've only ever done a double shine with fox once or twice. I can do that shieldbreaker thing in a couple of tries. It is somewhere between double lasering with fox and multishines (with fox) though I suppose. Only ever used shieldbreaker from the edge once in an actual match though - and there I failed to regrab, lol. But didn't matter I knocked the opponent far enough away anyway =]

You should probably take what button people use to jump into consideration btw. With Y and stick I can see how people can cover jump and B pretty fast, but with X (which I use) you can't really. Took me a while before I even learned to SHDL. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8_gaTq3bc8#t=13s

I can't do ledgehop regrab shieldbreakers :(

Top Bottom