• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

bolt.

Smash Ace
When chain grabbing falco, if falco doesn't di is there anything I can do to get them off stage or really punish them. I feel like the standard options only work if falco dis away.

MT_

Smash Ace
Depends on the percentage. From about 0-23% you can simply standing regrab them into more chainthrow or whatever. From like 24-35(ish?)% you'd have to pivot grab to keep up effective punishment. From like 36-55% or so utilt will pop them back into the air, which can lead to regrab or fsmash. From 55 to about 80% you can step to one side and then fsmash the other direction. At percentages higher than that, your best punishments are going to be like nair or bair lol.

Those are rough estimates on the percentages but the different ways to punish each category or percentages should be accurate. You should mess with it yourself and find out exactly what works on what percentages.

stelzig

Smash Lord
When you just got up from the ledge and you face a puff throwing bairs at you what is your approach? I almost always end up standing in my shield trying to find an opening, but it's pretty hard to find :(

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
when people were learning how to combo cactuar was learning

"frame perfect dashes out of perfect WDs"

or something

i think that's what he called it
Cactus loves to wd reverse momentum dash stall.

So attractive.
Cactuar likes to move it move it
Cactuar loves to make people think he's attacking. Then not attack. Then attack.
Cactuar loves to.....moves
Cactuar loves pizza :)

Lmao. You guys are hilarious.

But KK is pretty correct. When I was supposed to be learning how to combo, I was learning how to do movement stuff. "Don't get hit" was one of the biggest influences on my style. lolol

And I just call it a momentum stall. And it is super awesome.

earla

Smash Lord
i heard it is possible to get out of marths f-throw cg in the ditto?

if so, how do you do it?

@Earla: I was told to DI away, then if you land spotdodge or tech.
Those are rough estimates on the percentages but the different ways to punish each category or percentages should be accurate. You should mess with it yourself and find out exactly what works on what percentages.
I think those percents are pretty good. 0% you want to fthrow -> regrab, then start Uthrow chain. The final Uthrow I think needs to put them above 35% to get a tipper Utilt -> regrab.

When you just got up from the ledge and you face a puff throwing bairs at you what is your approach? I almost always end up standing in my shield trying to find an opening, but it's pretty hard to find :(
Jab and Ftilt I think. If jiggs approaches you at all, those moves will either stop her before she attacks or you trade hits.

Niko45

Smash Master
In spots like this where it's clearly heavily in Jiggs advantage I usually try to focus on regaining stage control than hitting her (though hitting her obviously goes a long ways towards achieving that anyway).

If there's a platform I will often try to get on top of that and then maybe even use top platform if there is one of those too and try to get back in on jiggs from a safer position.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The first 1-2 regrabs might be inescapeable (starting at 0%). All I know is that f-throw -> f-smash shouldn't be guaranteed at any percent, including 0%.

mers

Smash Ace
I've always been told that they're inescapable until Marth is able to tech, but I'm not certain that that is true.

What do you guys think about grabbing spacies' illusion/phantasm? It's really pretty easy, but it gives them their jump back. Still, a grab at the edge is a very powerful tool. Since spacy players usually hold in toward the stage during their recovery, a quick fthrow can take advantage of their bad DI and get you an fsmash.

So far, I only use it when I'm too far instage for jab to work (which is rare), or when I think they'll do that thing where they just side-B to the ledge again after my jab, which I think only works at lowish percents.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The fthrow chaingrab is inescapable at 0.
This is false.

If you just hold down and away it makes you land faster and further away than Marth can regrab in time. You can always "escape" the regrab by buffering something, but a roll can be followed with another grab if the thrower has a good enough reaction speed.

Trust in cactus. I spent a lot of time getting fthrown at 0 by M2K. :(

earla

Smash Lord
whats best way to gauge %'s when your opponent is going to need to tech to be ready to tech chase?
or is this something u just get a feel for with more experience.?

2. sometimes when using dancing blade in the air i drop down a little bit. why does this happen?

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
whats best way to gauge %'s when your opponent is going to need to tech to be ready to tech chase?

2. sometimes when using dancing blade in the air i drop down a little bit. why does this happen?
Land again without doing an attack(wavedashing works too) and you'll get your floaty side-b back!

earla

Smash Lord
how does it get ike that in the first place?

how is side b used best - normal side b and the down version?

AustinRC

Smash Lord
What is everyones thoughts on using platforms as a means to approach with Marth? Ideas, comments, profound statements? Against some campier players I'm finding it to be a pretty good means of closing the space between myself and them. Also another thing I've done a few times now is hop on a platform and have the opponent try and attack me or throw/shoot a projectile at me when they do this I Isai drop through the platform and then follow them when they are in the air, worked pretty damn well and I'll continue to do it as long as it works lol. Ideas anyone?!

makoforce

Smash Ace
Actually approching through platforms maybe the safest way. Marth is very vulnerable doing aerials and im between them. Thats why movement is more important. If you miss an aerial yoiu HAVE to make a fast retreat. Cause lets face it. Top tiers combo the **** outta marth. And jiggs can just rest him. but i wanna say something about the peach MU. In the peach mi she wants us to jumps she can push us with her dash attack. But we want her to do the same thing jump. Thats all i wait for the whole match is for her to jump. If you can read the jump dash right up under it in to a dash canclled fsmash and it should tipper. . And also nair through her turnips. Also the way i edgeguard her is to stay on the edge and do a ledgehopped dair and that should kill her off.

mers

Smash Ace
Using platforms to make other people get off the ground is wonderful. If I could master shield dropping it would probably be even better. But I feel like Marth approaching a grounded opponent from a platform is usually a bad thing. It removes all your dash dancing mysteries, and pretty much guarantees the spot you'll be in when you come back down to stage level.

I mean, everything's good as a mixup in some situations, but I think making a habit of it wouldn't be great.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How do you do the turnaround grab instantly to get the low % DI back for spacies? I can't do it no matter what I try ....

Niko45

Smash Master
Using platforms is great in general but particularly for baiting certain characters to leave the ground or their comfort zone like jiggs, doc, samus, ICs. Jiggs just loves fighting on that even plane on the ground and good use of platforms can get you some free openings on her. Same for the shield camping characters if you can tempt them to come into the air marth's air game just ***** them and their full hops are unsafe as ****.

stelzig

Smash Lord
How do you do the turnaround grab instantly to get the low % DI back for spacies? I can't do it no matter what I try ....
I have more problems with it against falco. What worked for me there was to hold back and simply grab as soon as I saw marth actually turnaround. Never had to do that on fox.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I just learned today that I had to smash the stick and time the grab. Go figure.

*Goes off to practice in room*

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
A lot of people accidentally try to jump cancel grab when trying to grab behind them at low percents. If you jump cancel grab, it cancels your turn around animation and makes you grab forward, when just pressing grab would make you grab behind you even if the turn around animation has not completed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Fthrow always forces tech/land on ground when their damage after the F-throw is >7%.
D-Throw should always force them to the ground.

2. Dancing Blade doesn't reset when you land during any of your aerials or even if you just grab the ledge. so if you're ledgehopping aerials and you don't wavedash or empty shorthop before you get knocked off, you won't get recovery-boost Dancing Blade.

On the YS, BF, PS, and DL, Marth can Utilt people before they have the chance to tech on the lower two platforms correct?

Top Bottom